• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Soi-Fong

Oct 29, 2017
Illinois
It's so surreal to see VR heading in two directions. Index is going all out for the enthusiast market while FB strays away and going towards mass consumer and ease of use.

No offense to Valve, but I'd put my money on Oculus here. We've already seen that you can have the most advanced, bleeding edge tech in VR, but it doesn't mean anything without devs wanting to develop for the thing.

I feel like what Quest offers is what the minimum viable product is for VR to hit mainstream which is wireless, 6 DOF, a wide library and not needing a PC.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
The funniest thing is I saw a bunch of people overtaken by hype on Reddit who sold their Vives/Rifts for this. It will barely make a dent, lol.
It doesn't matter though since it's already compatible with all VR games and all the VR games to come.

If they purchase the headset it will never stop being worth it like a fsiled console or something.

MaDKaT

Oct 27, 2017
Knuckles for sure since im tired of the wands. Upgraded to a 2080 ti very recently so not feeling the additional headset cost at this time. May just ride out my regular vive headset until it dies

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I still might get the headset because I'm an idiot but the sad part is if I do I'm not getting rid of my OG Vive until wireless comes to Index. Having two headsets on my desk is going to be hard to explain to my wife lol.

Oct 25, 2017
It's so surreal to see VR heading in two directions. Index is going all out for the enthusiast market while FB strays away and going towards mass consumer and ease of use.

No offense to Valve, but I'd put my money on Oculus here. We've already seen that you can have the most advanced, bleeding edge tech in VR, but it doesn't mean anything without devs wanting to develop for the thing.

I feel like what Quest offers is what the minimum viable product is for VR to hit mainstream which is wireless, 6 DOF, a wide library and not needing a PC.
You don't have to choose to develop for the Oculus or Valve headset. You support SteamVR and it works on all of them. It is a good thing to have a high-end headset for enthusiasts and lower-priced mass-market headsets.

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
Were you referring to anything specifically? I'm not sure anyone who'd be recommended VR without also using Steam VR.

obsoke

Oct 27, 2017
Valve is against exclusives, their VR games will work on all PCVR headsets on the market.

Fair enough! I actually respect that Valve doesn't lock their stuff to a single headset.

I may have used the wrong wording to express my thoughts, I care more about the "killer app" part and much less about it being 1st party.

I know Valve has something up their sleeve to show off later this year. I think not showing it off beforehand in order to push those on the fence over the edge is a mistake. They must also be aware of that as well so maybe it's just that cool? We will see!

Oct 28, 2017
I need more info on the new basestations. My current play area is 4mx2m and works great. What makes these so great? 749 is easier to swallow than 999.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
My main issue with the Vive and the original Oculus was the weight of the headset and the amount of space and outputs required to use the headsets. Oculus S seems to solve both of those problems for me.

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Come on Valve, let's see that software.

Let me see...that half life 3...or whatever they're working on

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Here's my feature-length look at the Valve Index, along with quotes from Valve's staffers: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019...-of-vrs-first-generation-but-is-it-worth-999/

Valve's Steam Controller, which has since been discontinued […]
Did they announce this at the event?
If they're discontinuing them, I'm going to have to buy another one or two ASAP.
That's far more disappointing than anything relating to the Index (which is mainly price).

Tested has put up a video discussing it.

For me personally, that price is too high for the full bundle. At most I would have to get the controllers and headset since I already have base stations. Still, yikes.

Thanks for posting that. Norm sounds very positive on the headset, though he considers it to be a "1.5 gen" device rather than a "2nd gen" device due to a lack of features such as eye tracking or wireless support.
That high refresh rate support and image persistence of only 0.330ms is very impressive, and one of the most exciting things about it.

I don't think I can justify that kind of money for a wired and LCD-based headset though, and I wish they would stop making black hardware.
valveindex-inverted-35ke6.png

All I did was invert the image so it does look a bit weird, but that is so much more appealing to me - though I'm not a fan of the design of this headset.

It really seems like the cost of the base stations is what's holding things back.
The headset itself seems reasonably priced at $500, and while $250 (bundled) is a lot for the controllers, there's a lot of hardware in them.
If the $750 bundle included a single base station, and an additional base station was $100 to add room-scale tracking, I think there would be fewer complaints.

Everything seems priced like it's there as an upgrade for existing VR owners.
  • Want a new headset? $500 for what is likely going to be the best on the market overall is reasonable.
  • Happy with your Vive but want to upgrade the controllers? $280 is fair.
It's when you have to buy both of them together and add cost of the the base stations that starts looking "overpriced".

My biggest fear seems to have come true: it's not available in Norway.
Godfuckingdammit Valve.
Can you buy Steam Controllers there?
I expect they probably will sell them, but it may not be available at launch since Valve are manufacturing and distributing these themselves.

What you *can* do is get prescription glasses inserts for VR headsets, and thus not wear your glasses in the headset.
That really needs to be a standard feature for all headsets.

scarybore

Oct 27, 2017
Price is high, but VR is imo still going to be an enthusiast market for the foreseeable future (even with the lower end "mass market" headsets) so I don't see that as a problem. As much as I want to buy into VR, I don't think I can justify the investment until wireless and foveated rendering are standard, hopefully by then the VR games market will have improved massively so I can deal with the wait.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, Valve isn't really trying to compete with Oculus on that level. If they were there'd be commercials for this on TV and you'd be able to buy it at Best Buy and the price would be more competitive. They fully concede the mid-range/mainstream market and are more interested in pushing the limits for enthusiasts (while also making sure there's an option for people to buy VR games on Steam).

Oct 27, 2017
yeahhhhhh £1000 erm well if I had 1000 quid I can certainly think of better ways to spend it. At this rate I am not expecting to see VR mainstream in my lifetime. But then I am kinda ok with that, always seemed like a stupid idea anyway wearing a helmet to play games. Just wish valve would stop wasting their resources on this niche stuff that 99.9999% of gamers will never be able to experience.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
I haven't bought any VR headset yet because I want to wait for something that is future-proof for at least 5 years. This seems the closest to that yet but with foveated rendering around the corner I think it's probably not it.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
I'm buying the controllers only if they work with my Vive basestations. Need to hear more about user impressions for the hmd first to replace my Vive Pro

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Welp, I guess I'm NOT replacing my Vive anytime soon.

Dammit Valve.

Spence

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Everyone complaining about the price, there are really good headsets for smaller pricetags, this is a really nice product I will be getting one for sure.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
yeahhhhhh £1000 erm well if I had 1000 quid I can certainly think of better ways to spend it. At this rate I am not expecting to see VR mainstream in my lifetime. But then I am kinda ok with that, always seemed like a stupid idea anyway wearing a helmet to play games. Just wish valve would stop wasting their resources on this niche stuff that 99.9999% of gamers will never be able to experience.
LOOOOLLL jeez dude.. really are you expected to be dead in 5 to 10 years?

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone complaining about the price, there are really good headsets for smaller pricetags, this is a really nice product I will be getting one for sure.
Exactly, tons of complaining that VR needs to be cheaper when two new VR headsets just launched today for way cheaper. This is an enthusiast headset, I haven't decided if it is worth the money for myself yet, but I didn't expect it to be cheap.

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly, tons of complaining that VR needs to be cheaper when two new VR headsets just launched today for way cheaper. This is an enthusiast headset, I haven't decided if it is worth the money for myself yet, but I didn't expect it to be cheap.
Absolutely! I'm so glad someone is making higher-end headsets, even if this doesn't quite have all the features I'd hoped for.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Finished watching the Tested video. Liked what Norm had to say about noticing the refresh rate differences.

Still think it's way too expensive for what it is. I won't even be tempted until there's a significant price cut.

For the life of me, I cannot figure out why they were so secretive with this. At this point, I can only guess they were fearful of HTC abandoning the SteamVR space in retaliation and didn't want things tipped until it was almost ready for market. This way they wouldn't be vulnerable if HTC just left. Although it seems like a hollow victory either way. Because this is going to do nothing to help the market grow. Not unless they can slash prices.

The going against Facebook's F8 conference was dumb, IMO. If anything, seeing that ridiculous price made Oculus' products that much more appealing. I know I jumped on Amazon when the Quest went live.

"This is something that Miyamoto has always had. He's had the ability to think about what the input device is and design a system while he designs games. Our sense is that this will actually allow us to build much better entertainment experiences for people." - Gabe Newell discussing VR devices in development

Way to miss the point Gabe. Nintendo never designed input devices that were THIS expensive. The relative cost of the device is part of the innovation.

And making stuff this high-end in the entertainment sphere is counterproductive to market penetration. This will, again, only be bought by gaming nerds.

This can't be stated enough. Listening to Norm talk about the controllers, I started getting a real impression that these things were way over-engineered and made more costly than they needed to be. If you're gonna make absurdly engineered and priced controllers, show a fucking game that tells me why it was done. How could they still have nothing showable?

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I don't like the price at all, but there's always going to be high end products for those with the money. I do have the money but there's nothing in the PC space that is compelling me to spend the money at this point. I'm more comfortable with investing in Sony's VR ecosystem.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Controller tracking.

AFAIK there are no controllers with inside out tracking. Oculus Quest, Daydream, etc, all track the controller relative to the headset which means you can't do cool shit like unsheathing your sword your behind your back in Sairento.
I suppose they ought to start doing controllers with their own damn sensors then. Though, why can't the headset track the controllers around the player's body? Is the tech so dependent on visual sensors?

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017

£919 And they are not being subtle about this - they are blatantly not targeting "Mainstream". They've said it countless since starting their VR hardware efforts, and all webpage's contents make that point really clear on every page

How are you still confused or even shocked?
this knee jerking is absolutely laughable and predictable, despite the spec being so clear.

zCC5GfU.jpg

If you live and die by mainstream, it's PC - pick any vendor you want, such as the new Rift S.
There are so many alternatives

Civilstrife

Oct 27, 2017
I suppose they ought to start doing controllers with their own damn sensors then. Though, why can't the headset track the controllers around the player's body? Is the tech so dependent on visual sensors?

Yes, it needs visual line of sight for positional tracking. Though the controllers do have accelerometers and gyro in them. So reaching behind your back as a gesture is likely doable.

collige

Oct 31, 2017

EchoSmoker

Jan 29, 2018
Looks fantastic but wow that pricetag. I expected $800 for everything which is still expensive but seeing 4 digits suddenly makes it much worse lol. I'll stick with my Vive for now but at least I can upgrade one thing at a time sans base stations (which are $150 a piece wtf?)

Jaysc

Oct 25, 2017
This can't be stated enough. Listening to Norm talk about the controllers, I started getting a real impression that these things were way over-engineered and made more costly than they needed to be. If you're gonna make absurdly engineered and priced controllers, show a fucking game that tells me why it was done. How could they still have nothing showable?

We know a valve game is coming, and we should expect it to definitely use the controller.

I'm pretty sure there was a quote of Gabe saying he wanted to push the boundary of VR first to a high upper limit, which will eventually produce more friendly set prices, but I can't seem to find it. I believe the same idea applies to the controllers as well. They spent years developing it, refining it, and testing it to create a future proof controllers, which time spent shows how difficult it was. Now that they have, they can leave it alone basically. In X years time, it will gradually decrease in price to a suitable point. I can't imagine what new controller scheme we would need next, probably finger tracking.