• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly even in low elo that mid gap had created blind dumb luck kills start of round. You could smoke or flash but if awpers are shooting wild they can still get a random kill. It's a dumb thing in a game that revolves around a lot of strategy.

This choice is smart and should balance the map more, plus create actual snipe battles in mid.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Why does someone want to know about a change made to a map in a game that they don't play
As someone who regularly works on multiplayer stuff but doesn't play CS, I like seeing how other games change their meta over time and why.

Or, you know, some people just like to know what's going on in other games in general. There doesn't have to be a reason.

Jamaro

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't played CS seriously in years upon years, but damn that was part of the Dust 2 fun to me.

cdudeachyut

Jun 4, 2021
Pretty sure this was because a bunch of pros were complaining about how they have to waste a smoke for crossing mid every round.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Thanks to all the people that explained what the thread is about. It's been emotional.
1 person added to the ignore list tho.

Suedemaker

Linked the Fire
Jun 4, 2019
That doesn't make any sense.

Why does someone want to know about a change made to a map in a game that they don't play
Curiosity, at least on my part. I like to at least lurk in threads like these just because I find it interesting to read about even if what I learn I never use and will have no further impact on my life than occupying my attention for a few minutes.

It's hard to explain the impact of this if you've never played CSGO, which I'm assuming anyone asking this hasn't, but:

In Dust 2, the most played CS map, it used to be possible to snipe Counter-Terrorists going to one of the bomb sites directly from the Terrorist spawning point by shooting through a gap in a double-door pathway (aka "sniping through double-doors"). This used to be an extremely common strategy by terrorist players who used the sniper rifle. You can no longer do that because they've added a barricade that blocks the shot.

More detail here - https://www.nme.com/news/gaming-new...ffensive-makes-a-big-change-to-dust-2-3052024
Oh snap. Entire team strategies would be affected if it's played that much more than every other map. If you have a squad that plans around that aspect of the map, you would have to fundamentally alter your entire approach. Woof. Thanks for the context!

Jan 11, 2018
Dunedin, New Zealand
I always hated having to deal with AWPers when crossing to B at round start, but I don't like how this gives CTs free reign to rush into lowers at round start. That's the more impactful change to the meta IMO.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
a little more context

this is in a playoff game during a pro tournament with a $750k prize pool. the match is in overtime which means(for this tourney) that start money is 16k. effectively it removes the economy aspect of CS by giving max money and having both sides able to full buy every round of OT. thats 2 FREE KILLS at the start of a round turning it into a 5v3 and all but guarantees the cheesing side a round win. IIRC, this match went to double OT and that strat was used in both OTs by the same team (Team Liquid) who then went on to win the match.
If I understand this right it seems like the same kind of reaction from Valve than what we saw a few years ago on dota 2 with the Pudge/Kotl interaction. In both case it was considered ok up until the point where it became the deciding factor for a match with a big prize pool.

YasuYone

Feb 17, 2021
It's okay to not know what something is about. That's usually a hint that the topic isn't for you anyways.
Because the title of the OP says valve and not CSGO. And plus why do you have to be rude about it. If you dont want to give them the context of the post then just ignore them and dont reply. Its a simple question. You dont have to be rude.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
If I understand this right it seems like the same kind of reaction from Valve than what we saw a few years ago on dota 2 with the Pudge/Kotl interaction. In both case it was considered ok up until the point where it became the deciding factor for a match with a big prize pool.
Ehhh...that would be assuming valve cares half as much about cs as it does about Dota, which they definitely don't. This is more a case of valve finally getting around to addressing something the community (read: pros) have been complaining about for years. sucks for casuals as its an iconic element of the map, but for competitive reasons i guess its necessary.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to explain the impact of this if you've never played CSGO, which I'm assuming anyone asking this hasn't, but:

I have, like, 1000 hours in GO... mostly Office. Had no fucking clue what this was about.

So all the people asking for "context"? I'm with you, so don't feel bad.

Because the title of the OP says valve and not CSGO. And plus why do you have to be rude about it. If you dont want to give them the context of the post then just ignore them and dont reply. Its a simple question. You dont have to be rude.

Yup. Feels like lowkey gatekeeping for so many people to be like "hahaha stupid ppl asking questions about this".

Last edited: