• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I had always thought of Valve games like this, especially when it comes to Half Life. They're a storefront first, they will make games only to showcase new tech / new genre/sensation.

Haven't played HAlyx but I bet there will be another HL game 3 years after PSVR2 finds its stride and more devs comes out with better mechanics playing with VR.

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I guess "we got rich as fuck from Steam and stopped caring" doesn't go that well in an interview.

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
My first reaction is their reasoning is a load of fucking bullshit. If they were truthful and said, "we didn't make it because we didn't want to and we let the creative people who guided the whole thing leave," I'd understand. I found it interesting that most of the interview was about Gabe Newell becoming interested in UI interfaces and how sensations that affect the brain more so than his wanting to actually make games anymore. Judging by his response to his favorite game from last year, he is not interested in keeping up with that anymore. The guy who helped on Alyx was more enthused to talk about that.

They talk about their failures (Artifact, Steam Link, etc) and how Gabe views making games as working under a deadline as a product of "regrets and mistakes" when they can't even get Steam to have decent customer support.

I think it's just Gabe Newell deciding he doesn't want to do another Half-Life because he's tired and he's gotten lazy and he wants to do something else. He was more happy with Portal 2 because he didn't have to be directly involved and make those kinds of decisions.

As long as he's alive, we'll never have Half Life 2 Episode 3 or Half Life 3. Honestly, I would almost prefer at this point that we didn't. Valve will make whatever they want with Half Life they feel interest them, not what people expect or provides closure on the series.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I dont know why they just didnt say that a decade ago. "Every half life game is a revolution of something. Episode 3's story is too big for an episode, so we want a full game, but what can't find any boundaries or barriers to break down" is hella lame.
I don't recall how far back this answer went but Valve already mentioned this years ago. This wasn't a secret. Even in the expose Geoff Keighley did back in November they also said this upfront mentioning how each Half entry pushed technology and artistry forward.