• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I assume it was because it contained the number 3 and anything telling me otherwise is a lie

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So basically, they wanted to do something great, but lost motivation after some failures. I guess That's life. Half life.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
How did Episode 1 or 2 push technology forwards? They were just great games but were (obviously) incremental improvements on HL2.
I think Episode 1 and 2 were supposed to push content delivery forward via the Episodic game approach. That obviously didn't work for Valve (and generally for the industry with a couple of notable exceptions).

May 26, 2018
So this will be the very last Half-Life game until something else revolutionary like VR comes about that they want to push forward?

Half-Life is dead again, long live Half-Life

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
Even after the explanation from them, people still dont get it

They havent been sitting on their arses doing nothing all this time

They wanted to make Episode 3 the conclusion to the storyline.

It couldnt have been a game just like Episode 1 or 2, it has to be something special, that pushes the media forward

You guys will get that with Half Life 3 in VR some years from now

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
What was Half Life 2: Episode 2's big innovation? I'm lost on how that is a reason they stopped there

Couple that with fucking people they told were going to get an ending so they invested in the product and got no ending... yeah I don't think this is a great answer.

Hope they figure out their future better than they have the past near-decade where they haven't made a campaign.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
It sounds like Nintendo's reasoning (see also: excuse) for why they don't make a new F-Zero, they can't think of anything new to bring to the table with the series so they just shelve it instead. I don't necessarily buy it or think it's a good reason.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA

It couldnt have been a game just like Episode 1 or 2, it has to be something special, that pushes the media forward

They've released bad, universally underwhelming titles and content since stopping Half Life in 2007 (which they felt fine making Episode 2 for despite no "it needs to raise the bar" crap answers, and they very publicly said Episode 3 was coming back then before they just ditched it for now 13 years). They also released Portal 2 just fine. This is just an excuse that doesn't hold water to what the truth of their output shows:
Explain Artifact then...playtesting and all that

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't the ground breaking nature of the Episodes supposed to be that they could deliver them quickly?

traveler

Oct 26, 2017
Episode 2 is the best half life game and I'd be hard pressed to say it really pushed tech forward. If that truly is the answer, I'm disappointed. So few of the best games of all time were technologically incredible leaps for the medium at the time of their release when I think back on my favorites, in fact. A disappointing trap to fall into.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
That's such a dumb reason honestly.

"Half-Life games can only be made when they push tech forward"

Like, why? There's a ton of fans who just wanted an ending and cared little for whatever technological thingamajig you weren't able to come up with. Sound kinda self-important.

Feb 4, 2018
Much smaller problems at the time.

The scale of the problems Valve has set out to solve have also significantly grown since then. We're talking a video game company turned platform holder, with huge growth in scale and ambitions. It's not surprising. They could either focus on the future of platforms for PC gaming, the emergence of DOTA2 and other transformative online experiences, and the future of how we interact with media, or just make a new HL game because people a very small group of vocal people were yelling about it.

The choice was obvious.

This is a really wise explanation of why Valve did what they did.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
What a load of shit loool

I wouldn't want to continue work on it either if selling hats and crate keys was making exponentially more money and the development process was going poorly, but I'd have been a bit more honest about it.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I still think they should have finished the story, and given us some kind of ending that wasn't a cliffhanger.
I think that's the problem: Only few actually care about that in most game development studios. It was only going to happen if the technical and market ambition was there, and after Episode 2 they started shifting to other ideas as soon as they started getting non-validating feedback or through series of it.

Marc Laidlaw probably had the outline ready for years. Even if he didn't, Epistle 3 is authentic as fuck for the storyline.

But honestly this isn't really news, and IGN hasn't really made news. We already had accounts of Gabe suggesting that people could freely begin development and prototype it and that after a while there just weren't internal interest in continuing Half Life and then once that bubble burst there didn't seem to rise an emergent interest in going back.

traveler

Oct 26, 2017
Epistle 3 was pretty much perfect yeah. I can understand if they couldn't give that outline the ingame execution they wanted, but it would have 100% satisfied my expectations at a conceptual level if released back then.

Shryke

Oct 26, 2017
LOL we waited all this time for such a disappointing answer. I remember when they announced the games to be episodic so that hey come out quicker.... we were played like a fiddle.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
The whole point to Episodes was that they didn't need to do new tech / have a revolution in gameplay. Should have just finished episode 3 and then moved on to new tech.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Much smaller problems at the time.

The scale of the problems Valve has set out to solve have also significantly grown since then. We're talking a video game company turned platform holder, with huge growth in scale and ambitions. It's not surprising. They could either focus on the future of platforms for PC gaming, the emergence of DOTA2 and other transformative online experiences, and the future of how we interact with media, or just make a new HL game because a very small group of vocal people were yelling about it.

The choice was obvious.
Why did they make crap like Artifact then...?

They've had numerous crappy monetization scheme projects and failed ideas, certainly some that don't look like noble problem solvers.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017

lol nah dude they were probably just burnt out on half life and didn't want to make it

Deleted member 18179

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"We didn't make it because Half-Life games are supposed to solve problems. We don't just pump them out."

Okay, well then what problem were EP1 and EP2 supposed to be solving? Why did you commit to pumping the game out on an episodic schedule if they aren't just meant to be cranked out on a schedule?

The whole "game as episodes" thing was a really new, early-DLC-era approach to making and distributing content. The innovation wasn't 100% in the game in that case.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
Newell said "Half-Life games are supposed to solve interesting problems," and explained that Valve doesn't want to just "crank Half-Life titles out because it helps us make the quarterly numbers."

This reminds me of Nintendo's "Well, why would we make a new F-Zero? What else is there to do with it that hasn't already been done?"

Sigh.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The whole "game as episodes" thing was a really new, early-DLC-era approach to making and distributing content. The innovation wasn't 100% in the game in that case.
If they were interested in that distribution model, then actually completing the project they set out to make would be an important part of it. They talked about being able to alter their game during development based on how people played/enjoyed the early episodes, stuff like that. They never even got around to exploring what would have made the episodic model interesting or innovative.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I think that's the problem: Only few actually care about that in most game development studios. It was only going to happen if the technical and market ambition was there, and after Episode 2 they started shifting to other ideas as soon as they started getting non-validating feedback or through series of it.

Marc Laidlaw probably had the outline ready for years. Even if he didn't, Epistle 3 is authentic as fuck for the storyline.

But honestly this isn't really news, and IGN hasn't really made news. We already had accounts of Gabe suggesting that people could freely begin development and prototype it and that after a while there just weren't internal interest in continuing Half Life and then once that bubble burst there didn't seem to rise an emergent interest in going back.
That is what you get when you are a company like valve who's main interest is to make ground breaking entertainment that always pushed the medium forward. You can't really lower the bar for yourself just to satisfy fans and I totally understand their point of view on this, every studio wants their next game to be a slam success, but often don't have the resources to cut projects that clearly don't deliver and meet their own expectations.
If they were interested in that distribution model, then actually completing the project they set out to make would be an important part of it. They talked about being able to alter their game during development based on how people played/enjoyed the early episodes, stuff like that. They never even got around to exploring what would have made the episodic model interesting or innovative.

After Episode 2 it was clear that the model wasn't working and the industry was already moving away from it. They wisely cut their losses.

DefiedFaith

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
If it was just Half-Life 3 then it wouldn't have been such a big deal. They sold Half-Life Episode 1 with the promise of Episode 2 and 3. Then sold Episode 2 with the promise of Episode 3. The whole point of the episodic nature was to get the games to consumers faster and it's now 10+ years later.

Deleted member 18179

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

IIRC, after Episode 2 they did a lot of press that was like "Well, this is dumb and hard. We're moving on!"

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
That is what you get when you are a company like valve who's main interest is to make ground breaking entertainment that always pushed the medium forward. You can't really lower the bar for yourself just to satisfy fans and I totally understand their point of view on this, every studio wants their next game to be a slam success, but often don't have the resources to cut projects that clearly don't deliver and meet their own expectations.
Here's the thing though. They kinda promised just 3 episodes, and they had a cliffhanger, and Epistle 3 definitively ends the "Half Life 2 Episodes Saga". All they had to do was spend a year or two and make the last game, then move on. Instead they started doing other shit, didn't go back and eventually ended up almost not making video games for a number of years.

If all they cared about was innovation they wouldn't co-opt Half Life into their big VR blowout.

XSX

Oct 31, 2017
I'm glad valve shifted gears when they knew they had to. It would of sucked if they forced out an episode 3 and it ended up being bad.

they took the right approach imo.

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
Bullshit response from Valve. At least they should have given a closure to the Freeman saga to the fans.

Oh well, at least there's Epistle 3

JustinBailey

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly this feels like nonsense. Whatever you wanna say Valve.

You could have just finished the damn story.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I always find it interesting that Valve always frames the decision of whether or not to make a new Half-Life game as "must be innovative and fresh" or "churning out sequels because we're cynical bastards," as if to say there's no point if there isn't some technical or gameplay wizardry going on. The idea of finishing the story, or even considering the story as something other than a driver of/backdrop for innovative gameplay, seems totally foreign to Valve. This is weird to me when the story and characters are a big reason why people wanted a new Half-Life. It also implies to me that Valve doesn't really think of storytelling as a vital artistic endeavor on the same level as gameplay or technical prowess.

But yeah, this isn't exactly new, though I don't know if Valve have been this explicit about their reasons before now.