• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Just got an email from Valve press

Valve Press said:
The Steam Game Festival has been rescheduled for Tuesday, June 16th thru June 22nd.

That's the entire email. They have not given any explanation for the delay, or any further comment.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Valve, the company that will explicitly apologize for removing Hatred from their store (when restoring it back, incidentally), but can't be fucking arsed to put out a simple statement decrying the violence against black people.

Fuck them.

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I take the silence to mean they're only moving it because everything else moved a week and not for the same reasons as the others.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
I don't know why anyone is expecting valve to say anything. Should they? Sure!

Do they ever talk about anything? No!

They do always like to say they like to show what's important by actions instead of just saying words so I was kind of expecting a sale pretty soon of black creators and a good portion of the money going to charities.

But you should always be expected to be disappointed in valve anyway.

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Because the context in which its being delayed. It's obviously being delayed because everything else is being delayed. And all those things are citing the reason, which is the current events with the protests. Them delaying without giving an explanation stands out as a result and makes it feel like they're only delaying because others forced their hand since things in the festival are being revealed at other events. That's probably the case for many of these things actually, since corporations aren't our friends and all but at least they said something in moving their stuff even if it was the bare minimum.

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019

They do always like to say they like to show what's important by actions instead of just saying words so I was kind of expecting a sale pretty soon of black creators and a good portion of the money going to charities.

They "talked about" freedom of speech when restoring Hatred to Steam (while also apologizing to them, by the way).

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia

This is exactly the same song and dance from the Nintendo thread.

Companies need to change for the better, and it's best for us to push them, not to dismiss the complaints.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone: Acknowledging the recent world shaking events.

Valve: These things take time.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Valve, the company that will explicitly apologize for removing Hatred from their store (when restoring it back, incidentally), but can't be fucking arsed to put out a simple statement decrying the violence against black people.

Fuck them.

They didn't give a shit about hate groups, racist, and bigots festering in their forums for *years*, why would they start caring about plights of minorities now?

Oct 25, 2017
So it's been a week since they delayed this. Have they continued to remain silent, and are we as a gaming community just chill with that? Haven't seen any significant backlash towards Valve for their lack of support for people fighting for their livelihood.

Ababol

Oct 25, 2017
So it's been a week since they delayed this. Have they continued to remain silent, and are we as a gaming community just chill with that? Haven't seen any significant backlash towards Valve for their lack of support for people fighting for their livelihood.

Of course they have. And of course you won't see anybody from the cult of Valve here criticise them even a little bit.

Deleted member 1055

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Could you elaborate on this? What would you have liked Valve to do?
This event is for marketing upcoming titles, so the vast majority of these games are not available for purchase and wont be for some time. And the exceptions appear to be higher profile titles with the backing of big publishers (e.g. Iron Harvest). So while I am sure that some of these developers are currently fighting for their livelihood, I don't see how having this event earlier would have helped them in the short term.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Could you elaborate on this? What would you have liked Valve to do?
This event is for marketing upcoming titles, so the vast majority of these games are not available for purchase and wont be for some time. And the exceptions appear to be higher profile titles with the backing of big publishers (e.g. Iron Harvest). So while I am sure that some of these developers are currently fighting for their livelihood, I don't see how having this event earlier would have helped them in the short term.
I'm pretty sure they're talking about Valve's lack of statement in regards to all the recent protests and the fact that no one seems to care.

See how when Nintendo remained silent there was large backlash here until they released a statement.

Deleted member 1055

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure they're talking about Valve's lack of statement in regards to all the recent protests and the fact that no one seems to care.

See how when Nintendo remained silent there was large backlash here until they released a statement.
It is certainly disappointing that Valve has not made any public statements about the protests/BLM, and they do deserve criticism for that. If that was what NoblesseOblige meant then I cannot disagree. Hopefully they won't mind clarifying.

PC-tan

Feb 25, 2018

I don't think this got that much attention and instead people mainly seemed to focus on indie devs pulling their games from Steam. Some of the articles that popped up about it were even days after that tweet.

As for actions it would seem that Valve is doing some stuff like more moderation now but the thing is that they just don't mention stuff. That's the thing they hardly talk about stuff in general.

There was another post about TF2 and that seems like something that they were working on since there was a patch for the game that was meant to address some of those issues.