• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Valve should have took up Naughty Dog on making Half Life 3 if Druckmann was serious, because they are probably not ever making it anytime soon.
No thanks, even if Druckmann was serious the studios couldn't be more different in their approach. You need immersive sim devs to work on HL, not people known for cinematics in their games.

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why has Valve stopped porting their games to the PlayStation?
I'm pretty sure after the Portal 2 crossplay with the PS3 verison, I remember reading/hearing something about Gaben vocally complaining about how frustrating working with the PS3 was. Seeing as they haven't really put anything out since Portal 2, idk if it's really fair to say they stopped porting their stuff to playstation, so much as they stopped... well stopped doing a lot more than that lol.

Personally, I don't think the game would work well at all on PSVR. Maybe if there was a 2.0 version with much better controllers than the move wands.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Of course, you'd be out of your mind if you expect it on the PSVR.

Also Half-Life Alyx requires at least 12GB of RAM, the PS4 Pro only has 8.
It's gonna run like a slide show, if it even runs at all. Imagine trying to get Red Dead Redemption 2 running on the Wii U.

Maybe on the PS5 & PSVR2, hopefully Sony can make a much improved VR headset this time with better tracking and field of view.

Last edited:

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Valve isn't putting their games on console anymore, period.

Not really surprising that PS4 and PSVR don't have what it takes for a modern, bleeding-edge VR game. VR tech's come a long way in only three years.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Have any PSVR details been shared for the PS5?

Just that the current generation headset will work with PS5, presumably for BC with first gen PSVR games.

For next-gen PSVR, nothing confirmed, but this talk might hint at potential directions:

venturebeat.com

PlayStation’s Dominic Mallinson on next-gen VR, wireless, gaze tracking, foveated rendering, and AR

VentureBeat interview: Dominic Mallinson, senior vice president of R&D at Sony, talks PSVR, wireless, gaze tracking, foveated rendering, and AR.

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't surprising. I think at some point Valve *will* make a push to get all of their VR games onto PS5 / PSVR2 -- a kind of Orange Box 2 push -- because they do care a great deal about the VR platform. That being said, anyone with even a passing interest in playing some new Valve games ought to seriously consider just getting into PCVR at the first opportunity, cuz I suspect any other options will... be a while. These things, they take time.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Why has Valve stopped porting their games to the PlayStation?
they had to pay to patch and have each one go through cert (around the orange box days)

they can patch their active games more than once a day

it goes entirely against how they work with a lot of their projects, i can only imagine how frustrating working on your stuff through someone else must be when you're used to complete freedom, i wouldnt want to do it

Deleted member 18179

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Getting anything to run on PSVR is a real workout, plus you have a much more complicated certification process. That said PSVR HMD and software sales have been great, so it's a strong platform for developers. But the work, especially if you start with a PC-lead SKU, can't be understated.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, if it does go into development, it'll be for ps5 and psvr2.

VR needs all the help it can get. Hopefully they make it for Ps5.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Is that really considered bad? By the time Alyx comes out the 1060 will be almost 4 years old. The 580 is a card that sells often for $150. I think its reasonable.
I mean that PS4 would barely be able to run it at 30fps, even less at 60fps+, as a 1060 is way stronger than PS4.

I think he's saying that the minimum requirements on PC are significantly faster than even a PS4 Pro.
Yep

SirFritz

Jan 22, 2018
I'm pretty sure after the Portal 2 crossplay with the PS3 verison, I remember reading/hearing something about Gaben vocally complaining about how frustrating working with the PS3 was. Seeing as they haven't really put anything out since Portal 2, idk if it's really fair to say they stopped porting their stuff to playstation, so much as they stopped... well stopped doing a lot more than that lol.

Personally, I don't think the game would work well at all on PSVR. Maybe if there was a 2.0 version with much better controllers than the move wands.
Gaben said that about the ps3 after orange box ps3 was released to peoples disappointment. Portal 2 on ps3 with steam crossplay was supposed to remedy that.

Crocodilelogic

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Not sure why anyone would expect this game to work on psvr maybe when a new headset comes out with proper tracking.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Lol of course, PS4 is weak AF for intensive VR games... RE7 on Pro was quite a mess, some parts looked like some bad PS3 game.

Still an achievement for a PS4 but man... probably on PS5 it will be a thing.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Well they need it to sell vr headsets and on their own platform so it really doesn't make sense to put it anywhere else.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, what games have they released since 2013 ps4 release? Aside from vr tech demos and a market oriented card game, nothing. Sure it's a meme but still

Valve has released 6 games in this decade. Would have been 7 if Alyx wasn't delayed. Tired meme. Just because you aren't interested in something doesn't negate its existence.

I mean that PS4 would barely be able to run it at 30fps, even less at 60fps+, as a 1060 is way stronger than PS4.

Yep

ahh ok. I understand.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
Probably for the best until they get a PSVR2 out with PS5. It wouldn't work very well with the move controllers. I recently got a Rift S after having PSVR for the past couple of years and the difference in clarity and tracking has been pretty striking. It's been kinda hard to go back to PSVR games afterwards. I always felt that PSVR was fine before but now it seems like a blurry mess, lol. Anything with text especially.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
obviously, but even if they were there is no way they would publicly admit that and hurt Steam sales. I'll be shocked if it's not on PS5VR by 2022

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
I think Sony will try to push for it, but I'm still very surprised Valve would even consider it

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I could see it coming down the line but it makes sense that they don't have the numbers right now.

People always forget just how small Valve actually is.

obviously, but even if they were there is no way they would publicly admit that and hurt Steam sales. I'll be shocked if it's not on PS5VR by 2022

I doubt it, how many people would choose to play the clearly inferior version when they have both headsets?