• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 59955

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 14, 2019
Designer Greg Coomer reconfirms that the "initial" release of Half-Life: Alyx will be "available for SteamVR only". It definitely sounds like Valve is aware of the desire to see the game come to PSVR, however: "We believe Sony's VR platform has been a huge success for the medium, and we assume that lots of Sony customers would love to experience this new chapter of Half-Life."

"Coomer goes on to confirm that a PlayStation VR port is not in active development "because we're very focused on the initial release". Having said that, he concludes that Valve has "not ruled anything out".

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprising. If it comes to PSVR it will be on the PS5, not PS4. Not sure if there's any PSVR title that has much in the way of big physics stuff.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
As expected, and as usual so long as they have capacity and systems are capable, they'll put their games everywhere

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Designer Greg Coomer reconfirms that the "initial" release of Half-Life: Alyx will be "available for SteamVR only". It definitely sounds like Valve is aware of the desire to see the game come to PSVR, however: "We believe Sony's VR platform has been a huge success for the medium, and we assume that lots of Sony customers would love to experience this new chapter of Half-Life."

"Coomer goes on to confirm that a PlayStation VR port is not in active development "because we're very focused on the initial release". Having said that, he concludes that Valve has "not ruled anything out".

That was to be expected. There is just not enough power on even the PS4 Pro, to make the port. I definitely expect to see it on PSVR2.

crimsonECHIDNA

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
200.gif

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): trolling, history of similar behavior
Edit. Fucking hot takes on mobile is never smart.

Valve!

We love VR platforms! (once it runs steam and we get a cut of everything sold on it)

Last edited:

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
They sound open to the idea.
Probably no point in releasing it until PS5 is out and they have new controllers

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
lz23yTY.png

It'll probably happen eventually but almost certainly no time soon lol. Probably at least a year minimum. The game seems to be basically designed to sell that thing. Hey maybe I'll be able to get RE7 VR on steam when that happens. :)

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Controllers seem like the biggest hurdle to overcome, moreso than the actual vr headset.

Design wise the headset doesn't need to change much for PSVR2, big thing is that it needs to have the same kind of tracking that the Quest has and remove the need for a camera.

I know some want it to be Wireless but it's very unlikely PSVR2 will be since Sony has said they're not interested in making a standalone headset like the Quest.

But the tracking is the big thing since as much as I love my PSVR, it can feel very limited sometimes due to the limited tracking.

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think PSVR or PS4 really has the chops to handle this game, both from a controls standpoint and also from a raw performance standpoint. VR has a big performance overhead and the required specs for Alyx are already pretty high on PC.

Don't discount Valve working on a PS5 VR version eventually, however.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
Valve!

We love open platforms! (once it runs steam and we get a cut of everything sold on it)
Thats one take I suppose.

Controllers seem like the biggest hurdle to overcome, moreso than the actual vr headset.
It's almost certainly the controllers that are the biggest hurdle but I would imagine they also want the extra power afforded to the PS5 instead of having to significantly scale back a PS4 port.

This quote very much reads to me as "This will almost certainly happen in the future but it's not a goal right now."

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Valve!

We love open platforms! (once it runs steam and we get a cut of everything sold on it)
Valve letting developers print Steam keys that Valve takes a 0% cut of kind of kills any notion that they are some greedy company.

They are a privileged company for sure; the only reason they can spend essentially forever on passion projects is because of their position as a "taker of 30% for a huge portion of the PC market" but they couldn't act much better about it. Valve employees get incredible salaries, benefits, an incredible work environment, tons of freedom, etc. And their store has essentially market leading policies, tech, etc.

Valve is also infamous for not going after people using their IP and that sort of thing, or even paying outsiders who use their IP w/o initial permission.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I think Valve will port it to the PSVR2 on PS5, probably over a year after the PC release. PSVR+Move would be compromised beyond the pale.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
I wonder what would be Valve's position if Sony continue to support EGS, right now it's mosquito bites and awful looking multiplayer game, but who knows what future holds.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not surprised, I doubt ps4 could handle it anyway. But hopefully we will get a port next gen.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not surprised. PSVR as it is right now couldn't handle HLA's visuals and the mediocre tracking certainly wouldn't help.

Fully expect it to get a PS5 release on PSVR2 in 2022 or something.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
PSVR hand tracking is awful so that is probably main reason why they won't do it. Even 200$ Mixed Reality devices these days have better tracking than PSVR.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Valve letting developers print Steam keys that Valve takes a 0% cut of kind of kills any notion that they are some greedy company.

They are a privileged company for sure; the only reason they can spend essentially forever on passion projects is because of their position as a "taker of 30% for a huge portion of the PC market" but they couldn't act much better about it. Valve employees get incredible salaries, benefits, an incredible work environment, tons of freedom, etc. And their store has essentially market leading policies, tech, etc.

Valve is also infamous for not going after people using their IP and that sort of thing, or even paying outsiders who use their IP w/o initial permission.
Valve should have took up Naughty Dog on making Half Life 3 if Druckmann was serious, because they are probably not ever making it anytime soon.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
PSVR is not as good when compared to the SteamVR/OpenVR standards. Then you go into the minimum requirements (a 1060!!) and any chance of PS4 port should be laughed out of the way. Now, in a possible future PSVR2? Sure.
Valve should have took up Naughty Dog on making Half Life 3 if Druckmann was serious, because they are probably not ever making it anytime soon.
Maybe you should wait until after HL:A to say that XD

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017

Yet HL:A is the next part in the HL story, despite being a prequel. They've also confirmed, assuming reception is good, that there will be more (in VR)