• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Is there anything preventing said players from simply creating a new account/Steam profile? Dota 2 is F2P, no?

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
This has the potential to be abused. Fortunately Steam has a review bombing detection system that might be repurposed for dota to help strip the effectiveness of such misuse.

ThirtyFour

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I was gonna say is there a reason it's 19 years specifically? (i.e., "until you grow up.") Because that's hilarious, if so.

It's actually a permaban, its just the way a technical reason (apparently involving 32-bit systems) that makes it shows as 2038:

mSArUdO.png

Is there anything preventing said players from simply creating a new account/Steam profile? Dota 2 is F2P, no?

No but they will lose access to any skins and things they have on that account. Also if they continue the behaviour that got them banned first time around you'd assume they will quickly lose their new account.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Yes, but there are lots of items and cosmetics tied to your account, as well as your progress.

Imagine if your PSN/XBox account got banned. Yes, you can create another account but you'll lose access to all of your digital games and achievements. And yes, lots of people have spent more on microtransactions than you possibly have on digital games.

Zombie

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
In order to access ranked matchmaking which is where the majority of the toxic behaviour takes place, you need to associate your phone number with your account. As of this latest update if your account gets banned then your phone number associated with that account gets blacklisted.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
No but they will lose access to any skins and things they have on that account. Also if they continue the behaviour that got them banned first time around you'd assume they will quickly lose their new account.
Yes, but there are lots of items and cosmetics tied to your account, as well as your progress.

Imagine if your PSN/XBox account got banned. Yes, you can create another account but you'll lose access to all of your digital games and achievements. And yes, lots of people have spent more on microtransactions than you possibly have on digital games.
In order to access ranked matchmaking which is where the majority of the toxic behaviour takes place, you need to associate your phone number with your account. As of this latest update if your account gets banned then your phone number associated with that account gets blacklisted.

Ah, I forgot the game had cosmetics. And the point about not being able to access ranked is interesting. Fair enough.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Rockstar should do this for gta. Oh wait, they'd remove 90 percent of their player base. honestly, I'd love it if every game company did this.

Oct 25, 2017
LOL lots of Dota 2 players are cheering and celebrating. One dude got a 19 years banned and it was uncovered that he purchased a boosted account with a 509 conduct score (which is pathetically low)

Here's the announcement
This is the good shit. This is why I'm here

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
This has the potential to be abused. Fortunately Steam has a review bombing detection system that might be repurposed for dota to help strip the effectiveness of such misuse.
Unlikely, a low behavior score is incredibly low, like I think less than 1000. Maybe even lower than that. Max behavior score is 10k.

I'm not going to lie, I've flown off the handle in some of my games and the lowest my behavior score has ever been is slightly below 9k. Right now it's 10k. You have to be toxic almost 100% of 100% of your games to get that. It's well earned and extremely hard to actually abuse.

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing a lot less this year, but given my experiences with the last round of calibrations I'm super glad to see this. There were an unbelievable number of account buyers or smurfs in the high ancient/low divine bracket. Given how easy it is to figure this stuff out looking at someone's game history or winrates and behavior score I doubt there will be many false positives.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing a lot less this year, but given my experiences with the last round of calibrations I'm super glad to see this. There were an unbelievable number of account buyers or smurfs in the high ancient/low divine bracket. Given how easy it is to figure this stuff out looking at someone's game history or winrates and behavior score I doubt there will be many false positives.
Hell I saw someone smurf from one season to the next or something (I'm not sure how they did it).

I'm Legend 7, and then this guy on the other team picks AM mid when I didn't expect it (I picked Storm mid and the other team's carry was already shown), and then first thing he does is put a Divine emoticon in all chat. He was Legend something on his profile on that game, meaning that he clearly just used the next season to smurf after being Divine in the previous season. Fuck smurfs.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Thread title is bullshit. These bans has nothing to do with toxicity, is just a ban on cheaters and Smurfs.

You get more reports for playing bad than for any amount of toxicity you display during game.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Thread title is bullshit. These bans has nothing to do with toxicity, is just a ban on cheaters and Smurfs.

You get more reports for playing bad than for any amount of toxicity you display during game.
The first ban wave is to players with exceptionally low behavior scores.

It absolutely does. That's one factor of it. Cheaters and smurfs is another and is part of this too. "exceptionally low behavior scores" means you have to be EXTREMELY toxic or actively try to have a behavior score that low. Getting a behavior score that low is very abnormal, even if you play badly every single game and your team reports you for bullshit reasons, you won't get a behavior score that low.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Getting a behavior score that low is very abnormal, even if you play badly every single game and your team reports you for bullshit reasons, you won't get a behavior score that low.
I'd say the average behaviour score is probably above 8.5k (with a max of 10k) and it seems like people got banned in the ~300 range.
It sounds actually like quite a task to somehow reach such a low score. I doubt that you can reach such a low level with reports only.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say the average behaviour score is probably above 8.5k (with a max of 10k) and it seems like people got banned in the ~300 range.
It sounds actually like quite a task to somehow reach such a low score.
Exactly, like you would actively have to try or just actually be that toxic to get below 300. I've said before in this thread that I have flown off the handle and been toxic in some of my games. I'm not proud of it, but if I'm not mistaken I don't think I have ever gotten below 8k behavior. I'm at 10k right now.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
A smurf account is a highly skilled player using a fresh new account in order to prey on newbies (since it's going to be matched with other relatively new and/or low skill accounts) so it can reach high ELO levels super fast, then usually sold online. They're also used in some other games to carry low-level players (either friends or somebody paying) through ranked.

Why would you want to buy an account like this? You're going to end up getting matched up with people way out of your league (unless you're buying such an account to circumvent a ban), which kind of defeats the point of the entire thing. (Then again, I don't play DOTA2, so there might be some other reason why a person might want to do this.)

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
Why would you want to buy an account like this? You're going to end up getting matched up with people way out of your league (unless you're buying such an account to circumvent a ban), which kind of defeats the point of the entire thing. (Then again, I don't play DOTA2, so there might be some other reason why a person might want to do this.)

Kids and people with big egos believe they are being held back by their teammates in the low tiers and account-buying will help them get out of those doldrums to where they "belong".

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Something tells theyre not getting banned just because of toxicity

Beje

Oct 27, 2017

These kind of games usually require sinking a specific amount of hours or reaching a specific level in order to be able to access the ranked queue so leveled up accounts (either smurfed, run by farmers or stolen) are indeed a common thing to buy for people that are either banned on their main and/or just don't want to put up with the grind in a new one.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Its a start.

its just crazy how toxic that game is, nothing else I've played comes even close.

Don't think it will actually change the hostile atmosphere much though.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I've been out of the DotA scene for a while. How are conduct points earned? If it's based on ratings from other players I'd worry about being targeted by salty opposing teams...
Multiple reports from the same party havent hcounted for a while iirc. You get a conduct summary of your comments/reports/abandons every 25 games and that gets coalesced into a score. Maxes out at 10,000 if you have less than three reports.

Low prio has always been a thing afaik, but this is the first time they're straight up throwing people out forever. I can't imagine how shitty someone has to be to get a 500 score.

Deleted member 11214

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I pay zero attention to my conduct summary, and I do argue with people every so often, so I was curious to see my rating.

It's over 10k. How the fuck do you get sub-1000, lol?

Tart Toter 9K

Oct 25, 2017
I pay zero attention to my conduct summary, and I do argue with people every so often, so I was curious to see my rating.

It's over 10k. How the fuck do you get sub-1000, lol?
Be extremely toxic in text chat + voice chat + spam ping as soon as the game starts + feed couriers and items + abuse role queue + abandon game.
Do that in 90% of your games and you should get pretty close to the ban in a couple of games.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Kids and people with big egos believe they are being held back by their teammates in the low tiers and account-buying will help them get out of those doldrums to where they "belong".
That's higher MMR account buying though. The point of smurfs is to go beat lower-MMR players, which again, is incredibly shitty and doesn't make for fair games at all.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
I giggled at those screenshots. If they even dared to complain on the Steam forums with those arguments, they probably deserved it.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

It absolutely does. That's one factor of it. Cheaters and smurfs is another and is part of this too. "exceptionally low behavior scores" means you have to be EXTREMELY toxic or actively try to have a behavior score that low. Getting a behavior score that low is very abnormal, even if you play badly every single game and your team reports you for bullshit reasons, you won't get a behavior score that low.
Abbadoning games also lower the score.