• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
A smurf account is a highly skilled player using a fresh new account in order to prey on newbies (since it's going to be matched with other relatively new and/or low skill accounts) so it can reach high ELO levels super fast, then usually sold online. They're also used in some other games to carry low-level players (either friends or somebody paying) through ranked.
Smurfing is when an expert player creates a new account (the game is F2P) to play with noobs and get easy wins. Boosting means increasing the rank of your account way over your skill level with various exploits (playing with people that throw on purpose to let you win, let someone else use your account, etc.).

Thanks a lot, guys. I can see why that's considered poor sportsmanship and kinda shitty for highly experienced players to deliberately match against newbies and ruin their day.

Kinda like matching me against an EVO class player in Street-fighter

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
What's happening in 2038 tho?

giphy.gif

John Titor returns to save us all.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
LOL lots of Dota 2 players are cheering and celebrating. One dude got a 19 years banned and it was uncovered that he purchased a boosted account with a 509 conduct score (which is pathetically low)

Here's the announcement

Linked article said:
We are also changing the mechanism to grant Ranked access. Rather than a fixed number of games, we are changing the metric to be a time based one and increased that amount to 100 hours of playtime. Any users that already have access to ranked without meeting this requirement will be removed from ranked until they've played enough time.
Needing 100 hours of play to get into ranked? Imagine any other game having that kind of limitation. Dota is a wild game.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
"Valve is communist"

Remember when Marx wrote "Every toxic gamer shall be banned"?

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Where do they draw the line and what's the best you can have, 10k?

The line is really low. Like it's hard to get low enough behaviour score without actually just dying or throwing the game on purpose for a long period of time. Likely these people have been near 1 behaviour score for a long time and probably in and out of low priority.

It's really easy to be 10k score if you just don't argue with anyone, you'll go down a little temporarily as people sometimes report you for being the reason for the loss (even if you just played poorly that game and didn't mean to) but that isn't enough to drop you anywhere near low enough to have this happen.

The only people getting this are really fucking toxic.

edit: oh ya I forgot, abandoning matches is the thing that takes you down like 1k behaviour score at a time.

Last edited:

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Countdown to the first pro player/streamer to get a big ole ban.
EternalEnvy was at 1 behaviour score last I saw.

His strategy to get fast games was to queue for support (if you queue support your queue times are near instant as the vast majority of players queue as other roles) and then he would steal the role he wanted and refuse to play the one he chose.

With this update Valve has also added better punishments for doing that, but even before your teamates still all reported you so his behaviour score was terrible.

Wouldn't be surprised if he gets a ban at least on some accounts.

Lcs

Aug 9, 2018
"Dota community is communists"

The absolute state of political discourse around the world in 2019.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
I have 3000 hours in Dota 2 and Siege/OW ranked is worse.
I have played this game since it's launch on steam. 1696 hours on it 5-6k mmr ranked matches were the worst experience I had in gaming and I have played OW/Siege. I still love the game but I only follow it in Majors/TI now.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Needing 100 hours of play to get into ranked? Imagine any other game having that kind of limitation. Dota is a wild game.
That's less than 1 hour per hero and one would expect that you know the skills of heroes before you enter ranked games.
Otherwise it's like wanting to play chess without knowing how all the chess pieces can move.

Lcs

Aug 9, 2018
Lmao that's not even enough to learn the basics. I have over 7k hours and still learning.

No kidding. I played non stop from dota 1 5.84c to dota 2 until around 2013-4. That must have been around 10 years of playing, and yet I tried getting back into it this year and there is just too much new stuff to learn. When I stopped, there weren't those little skill trees for every hero and I just couldn't be bothered to relearn all the optimum combos for every single hero. Also, gazillion new items that I didn't know and, therefore, didn't understand how to use or incorporate in my usual builds.

There is simply nothing quite like it. The amount of play time you need just for the game to become "playable" is mind boggling.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Thanks a lot, guys. I can see why that's considered poor sportsmanship and kinda shitty for highly experienced players to deliberately match against newbies and ruin their day.

Kinda like matching me against an EVO class player in Street-fighter
Yea it sucks. Fighting games can be pretty notorious for smurfs. Dragonball FighterZ when I last played it seemed to have a lot of green rank players with 10 wins 0 losses etc and looking at the message boards I wasn't the only one who thought so.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
100 hours are not enough to master one hero and there are 117 heroes.
Mastery can take a lifetime in anything, but the hurdle to get familiarity down seems nuts.

That's less than 1 hour per hero and one would expect that you know the skills of heroes before you enter ranked games.
Otherwise it's like wanting to play chess without knowing how all the chess pieces can move.
Yeah I'm just in awe at how willing people are to subject themselves to such a black hole of time.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm just in awe at how willing people are to subject themselves to such a black hole of time.
You can easily sink massive hours into any competitive game if you want to excel and become really good at it.
I guess the same goes for Dota where you can play casually unranked for fun or try to master it in ranked (and fail doing so).

Lcs

Aug 9, 2018
Mastery can take a lifetime in anything, but the hurdle to get familiarity down seems nuts.

Burden of knowledge is a well known problem without a solution so far for these old Mobas. I could easily get into Heroes of The Storm due to it being far simpler mechanically and to knowing the basics of the genre from dota, but the reverse would simply be impossible to do. There is just too much stuff to learn before you become minimally competent at the game. I'm not even talking about going pro, I mean having a basic knowledge of every mechanic, hero and item of the game.

You can easily sink massive hours into any competitive game if you want to excel and become really good at it.

The problem is that dota demands massive hours, not for mastery, but for basic competence at the game.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2019

It takes you around 10 games to learn the basic of the game but the game is like 10x more complex that League for example.

To really learn and play at a high level it takes a lot of years. One of the reasons that the game is not pulling milions of players every year.

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
that's amazing. god I wish League had a conduct score system... or at least a behavior system that actually worked.
the other day I was in a unranked game with a username like "stupidnicker" who quickly threw in "how about you shut the fuck up r-word" after someone asked if we could try to make the game quick.

J2d

Oct 26, 2017
EternalEnvy was at 1 behaviour score last I saw.

His strategy to get fast games was to queue for support (if you queue support your queue times are near instant as the vast majority of players queue as other roles) and then he would steal the role he wanted and refuse to play the one he chose.

With this update Valve has also added better punishments for doing that, but even before your teamates still all reported you so his behaviour score was terrible.

Wouldn't be surprised if he gets a ban at least on some accounts.
EE is a dick but I'd probably make a smurf account or just drop dota if I had to spend 30 mins looking for a game.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
EE is a dick but I'd probably make a smurf account or just drop dota if I had to spend 30 mins looking for a game.
Better behavior scores also result in faster queueing times, or in EEs case: be a dick and wait 30 minutes for each game.
Try to cheat the queue system and wait even longer or get banned. Sounds fair to me.

Logistic

Oct 30, 2017
Zero sympathy. MOBA communities are historically some of the most toxic, unwelcoming groups.