• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Thank god. The library looks super outdated right now.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm aware of the GDC, its also incredibly convenient that this is what they chose to highlight after 2 years of silence on it. I'd appreciate it if you weren't a condescending prick about it as well.
You should probably try to do some better research then, because they weren't silent at all. They were sharing updated mock ups of the design to developers last year too, months before the EGS was announced.

Stop making uninformed shitposts. Thanks.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Am i the only one who does not like how this looks at all...?

Here header is redesigned and fits
Fm5Iayu.png

Here it looks out of place
JKyLn75.png

Why client looks so inconsistent? Skins backwards compatibility or something?

Steam in general is a mish-mash of about 10 years of design with a lot of redunancy for what I can only assume is legacy support.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
I'm talking about the press release highlighting that this is coming, you think this isn't intentional?
It think it's because they are close to finishing it, GDC is going on, and they want to inform the developer community about their plans there.

I'm aware of the GDC, its also incredibly convenient that this is what they chose to highlight after 2 years of silence on it.
I think it's farfetched to call something "incredibly convenient" just because it had a pretty standard development cycle.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Indeed it does, doesn't mean its not also awfully convenient ;)
As you'll no doubt view literally everything that Steam does moving forward, in an era where EGS is merely present.

> Valve unveils Half-Life 3 at E3 2019
"This is clearly in response to Epic's actions from last month, the timing is too convenient!"

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Looks good, but I agree with dmix90 that the current STORE LIBRARY COMMUNITY header looks really out of place compared to the new stuff.

But there's time to improve that. Valvetime.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I.. actually think it looks kinda bad in those screenshots? Maybe i'll enjoy it more in motion, but something about it doesn't mesh with me.

Deleted member 15476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It definitely looks more "modern" than the previous design, hopefully the new client will be a lot more keyboard friendly, which is my biggest complaint about current Steam. It's gonna be a long wait till summer...

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Surprise! Somehow not garbage. I'm impressed.

Now they need to get their content moderation under control and I can stop thinking of Steam as garbage. Progress, boyz.

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope they add the option to rename games and order them manually. I'd like to group the franchises together, remove trademarks and put titles in proper capitalization.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Looks good! The outdated UI is one of the reasons I don't like using Steam.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Am i the only one who does not like how this looks at all...?

Here header is redesigned and fits
Fm5Iayu.png

Here it looks out of place
JKyLn75.png

Why client looks so inconsistent? Skins backwards compatibility or something?

The header isn't updated - that's why it doesn't fit.
This isn't a complete finished product, and that is blatantly obvious by the completely different styles and UI overlaps
They haven't discussed changes to the UIs of community, friends feeds, market, workshop , BPM, VR etc, nor have they discussed further new features on the way.

ZanderEzekial

Oct 25, 2017
Cyberspace
I always assumed that not many people applied their in general/ didn't meet Valve standards when doing the job interview process. Is that incorrect?

Probably. But their standards are too high in that case. They need to get staff to do some of the grunt work so things like this don't take literally years.

Maybe if they had a Steam team doing stuff like this, their game developers could focus on making games?

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
The header isn't updated - that's why it doesn't fit.
This isn't a complete finished product, and that is blatantly obvious by the completely different styles and UI overlaps
They haven't discussed changes to the UIs of community, friends feeds, market, workshop , BPM, VR etc, nor have they discussed further new features on the way.
Sounds like consistent client design is few years decades away.

+ another 5 years to make BPM usable for 50% of these features.

taciturasa

Jan 10, 2018
I really do NOT like that visual style for the library home itself, the like 15 billion different blurs and shadows and greys and gradients is really confusing and awful.

I like the layout, though, and they absolutely nailed the in-depth view. I just hope this isn't a laggy mess...

Nif

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Library overhaul is long overdue. I have too many games and need filters.

Danim

Oct 26, 2017
Looks like a big improvement, although clearly still a ways off being finished.

Shame we've still not heard much around their plans for BPM.

Oct 25, 2017
Getting in the beta ASAP. Hopefully there will be color options that eventually carry over to BPM. And that the client browser stops being slow garbage.

All I want is for this to go away:
JzIqa.png

Feels like everytime I touch this thing I have this popup it's so messy and ugly. Can't they backend it or do it while its open by now...

Yeah I don't know how that damn window still pops up.
Run as admin, fix your installation or add that shortcut instruction. This shouldn't be happening (yeah, I know it's a common issue, but there's multiple fixes).

i... don't really like how this looks at all?
i don't play any multiplayer games or have that many active friends on steam so 2/3 of the game pane being wasted on that... kind of sucks? i'm more than content with the current layout (friends, then achievements, then dlc, then news) so i'm legitimately kind of disappointed by this
the sidebar listing games looks a lot more space-inefficient also. like, there's more of a space between each title
I don't play multiplayer currently either, but I follow multiple devs/games and having to check their posts/sales/progress/new game announcements on the Activity section of the client in the middle of friends getting achievements/wishlisting games/uploading screenshots is a pain, specially if I was away for a long time. If this incentives even more devs/pubs to use the news/their own pages to give me notices and the like, it's a huge upgrade IMO.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I know it's been in development for a long time, but do you guys think the google and the Epic store will finally push Valve at doing something right?

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Don't think it was talked about, but did they say that their dedicated servers are free too?

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
I know it's been in development for a long time, but do you guys think the google and the Epic store will finally push Valve at doing something right?

I think Steam has been around and improving itself in increments like this forever now. And now people are looking for a way to credit Steam improvements to someone/something other than Steam, which is peak fanboyism. Folks seriously need to knock it off.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
Probably. But their standards are too high in that case. They need to get staff to do some of the grunt work so things like this don't take literally years.

Maybe if they had a Steam team doing stuff like this, their game developers could focus on making games?
I disagree. I think it's good they are taking things slow. Constant redesigns and feature creep is what I hate the most about modern software(gmail anyone?). Redesigning steam steam isn't hard because making cool designs is difficult, it's hard because millions of people rely on it every day.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got the chance to read this

I mostly happy about the tagging support, which was my number one request - other than that, I really like the Events emphasis to help drive re-engagement.

pagrab

Oct 27, 2017
I really like the poster/box redesign of game tiles. Still, I cannot understand why did it take them so long.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
I think Steam has been around and improving itself in increments like this forever now. And now people are looking for a way to credit Steam improvements to someone/something other than Steam, which is peak fanboyism. Folks seriously need to knock it off.
Yeah, there's a clear history of that. Valve actually had a slide at GDC that shows it.

(Fun fact: that slide "only" showed 10 years, so the introduction of cloud saves and achievements wasn't even on the timeline)

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
Can we rename games now? Bothers me when games in a series are all over the place instead next each other.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
For sure, I don't know if people don't just use Steam or something, but also chat, wishlist and DLC store pages were updated last year at different times. They've been slowly bringing the UI updates for some time.

Edit: Actually the DLC update was implemented this january.