• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're literally making a Half Life game if the leaks are to be believed. Any other half-baked arguments you want to make?

Yeah I know about that and if it turns out to be a return to form, great.

Nobody is seriously going to suggest Valve's output post Portal 2 has been what the audiences have wanted though, or of the same blockbuster quality as their golden years.

And you can't deny for such a powerhouse franchise there was so little reason for them not to work on Half Life 2 Episode 3 or just Half Life 3.

It's the last big game many wished for like Shenmue 3 & FF7Remake were.

Deleted member 18324

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't think of other studios where so many of the concepts behind their games were birthed outside of it.

You could go look at any other studio employee's artstation account and see concepts they have created externally that go on to influence the design of their games, to at least the same degree as narbacular drop influencing what would become Portal. Valve have explicitly publicised their hiring process, which is different from other studios, in that they frequently hire on the basis of ability to execute and ship content. You're still maintaining the pretense that employees at other studios somehow only begin having or executing on ideas once they're behind the walls of the studio.

I look at their games and it doesn't seem like they've nurtured a team I could call 'Valve', but incubated promising projects, then didn't really know what to do with the staff beyond them.

I don't even know what to make of this. It would appear to me that Valve actually has a better-than-average ability to have their staff execute across multiple genres and disciplines given that their staff has delivered single and multiplayer FPS', a MOBA, a card game, controller and VR hardware/software, and their store platform.

Good for them I guess.

Doesn't really help the rest of us wanting Valve to allow or make more Half Life games.

But just like Konami and their pachinko machines I guess if the money's good who cares about anything else.

Ah yes, I too love to accuse a company that shovels money into open source projects, and Linux specifically, of sitting on their laurels collecting easy money.

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
User Banned (1 Day): Ignoring mod post
valve has made some of my favorite games and then they just stopped making games

it really sucks

and i don't know what else to say about the situation other than that

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
its been 8 years, stop waiting for something that's not coming out. And stop using it as an excuse to troll.

Shenmue 3 wasn't announced until 14 years later.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake wasn't announced until 10 years after the opening sequence was shown in updated form at the 2005 E3 convention.

The weirdest thing is that there are no hurdles in the way of more Half Life being made that Shenmue 3 or other titles had to over come. (lack of money, worry over the IP selling, amount of time to develop etc)

Valve just... don't wanna make it.

Hopefully the new VR game, if it's real, is something substantial.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Companies, and their talent change. Their motivations and directions change. Look at any of the big developers we grew up with. Outside name, very little of their cores usually remain. It's not their fault, it's our fault for pretending like they're old friends you can rely on.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
Team Fortress 2, CSGo, and Dota2 are among the most successful, most important, and very best games I've ever played and that have ever hit the market. You can shudder at the thoughts if you want to and that's fine if those aren't the kinds of games you like to play. But for me? I can't pretend that not having a story that I'd play once for a couple of dozen hours at best would have been my preference when I compare it to the literal thousands of hours I've spent watching and playing Dota 2, TF2, and CSGo. And imagine not thinking Dota 2 is a AAA game as they sponsor annual $30,000,000.00 tournaments.

There isn't a single sequel to any Valve franchise that I would trade my time and memories spent in Dota 2 for. Not a single fucking thing. Not any game that exists or ever existed, in fact.

Sorry you don't like the games that they like to make.

Now imagine that starting tomorrow, Valve completely drops all future updates for dota2, CS:GO, and TF2. Further, they refuse to share any updates or info on why they've stopped releasing any content for them or supporting them in any way... in fact, they generally act like those games never even existed.

Now you have an idea of how we feel.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I know about that and if it turns out to be a return to form, great.

Nobody is seriously going to suggest Valve's output post Portal 2 has been what the audiences have wanted though, or of the same blockbuster quality as their golden years.

And you can't deny for such a powerhouse franchise there was so little reason for them not to work on Half Life 2 Episode 3 or just Half Life 3.

It's the last big game many wished for like Shenmue 3 & FF7Remake were.
Audiences?

More people have played DOTA 2 than probably every non CS game by Valve combined.

So, I'm not quite sure the "people" argument quite checks out.

In fact I'd say it's a vocal minority who want Valve to be like they were 15 years ago.

Fuck it, I'm one of them but that's the breaks.

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
Now imagine that starting tomorrow, Valve completely drops all future updates for dota2, CS:GO, and TF2. Further, they refuse to share any updates or info on why they've stopped releasing any content for them or supporting them in any way... in fact, they generally act like those games never even existed.

Now you have an idea of how we feel.
Half-Life got an update LAST MONTH: https://steamcommunity.com/games/70/announcements/detail/1586880891220596672

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I've ever seen such a weird Staff Post.

I'm glad Valve are back with a Half Life game, although it's a shame they took their focus away from making games. That said, Steam saved PC gaming so it's difficult to be too upset.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
Valve doesn't want to work like a modern AAA studio, so they won't be making AAA games anytime soon. And that is totaly fine.

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I've ever seen such a weird Staff Post.

I'm glad Valve are back with a Half Life game, although it's a shame they took their focus away from making games. That said, Steam saved PC gaming so it's difficult to be too upset.

The staff post was simply a way to clarify what is fair criticism and what constitutes trolling. Nothing more, nothing less. Simply a clarification.

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Valve is like the size of Naughty Dog, they do a lot of stuff in the PC space for a company of their size.

Also can you even imagine the expectations on a numbered sequel of their big franchises?

Saty

Oct 27, 2017
The flak Valve deserves is for not behaving like adults for the 10+ years they avoided talking about HL. They'd use codenames (ricochet 2), lame excuses ('not wanting to talk early about the next game so we don't disappoint fans when its delayed') and just behaved as a company that doesn't want to genuinely discuss the subject publicly. It's as if they hoped by keeping quiet, fans will no longer yearn for explanations. That avoidance and complete failure in communication just bred anger and contempt towards Valve.

I sure hope when they announce HLVR, Valve will be prepared to answer and discuss the subject why has it taken so long for the next HL game to appear, how come they aren't making a sequel to Ep2 and are they planning to do one. I suspect boiler-plate responses won't suffice.

Oct 26, 2017
The flak Valve deserves is for not behaving like adults for the 10+ years they avoided talking about HL. They'd use codenames (ricochet 2), lame excuses ('not wanting to talk early about the next game so we don't disappoint fans when its delayed') and just behaved as a company that doesn't want to genuinely discuss the subject publicly. It's as if they hoped by keeping quiet, fans will no longer yearn for explanations. That avoidance and complete failure in communication just bred anger and contempt towards Valve.

I sure hope when they announce HLVR, Valve will be prepared to answer and discuss the subject why has it taken so long for the next HL game to appear, how come they aren't making a sequel to Ep2 and are they planning to do one. I suspect boiler-plate responses won't suffice.

What do you expect, for them to be honest? People wouldn't like that, believe me.

"So we stopped making Half Life games because it's much easier to win 10x more money with Steam. We also gain more money with microtransaction-driven online games like CS:GO and Dota 2. We almost said as much when we said Portal 2 would be the last normal single player we would do.
Because you see you stupid nerds, that's the point of a video game company: not making video games but making profits. That was the whole point altogether".

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
From the perspective of a console-only player, it makes perfect sense to be disappointed by Valve's direction and output since they very clearly don't serve that market anymore. However, Valve's work in the PC space has been utterly fantastic as the company has put a ton of effort into streamlining PC gaming and introducing extra features to the Steam client. Given the choice between that work and sequels to Valve's hit franchises I would choose the former every single time. PC gaming is a much better platform today than it was ten years ago largely because of Valve.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017

Because they don't want to hire more people and work/crunch on the same project every day. Both those things are required to make half life 3 as people would want it.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure why valve gets so much defense when posters are rather free to shit on BioWare, BGS, (Rare at one point)

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
Great! No issue here then, I guess people like the OP and me just need to accept Valve is catering to a different crowd and that's okay.

That would be the mature thing that a lot of people should do in most cases where a developer isn't making games that you are interested in.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I share OP's frustration with current day Valve not catering to my personal tastes but this whole "Valve doesn't make games anymore" bullshit needs to stop. Just because you don't like their current games doesn't mean they don't exist.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Not sure why valve gets so much defense when posters are rather free to shit on BioWare, BGS, (Rare at one point)

There's a big gap in quality there between Counter-Strike/Dota 2 and Fallout 76/Anthem and whatever the fuck Sea of Thieves was at launch.

If you want to see people drag Valve, look for CSGO discussion near launch or any discussion on Artifact anywhere.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
2 of the biggest games currently have come from Valve post 2011. Saying they don't make games anymore just because its not your cup of tea is getting exhausting. Those 2 games are definitely blockbusters.

Also, calling VR games tech demos and trying to dismiss it altogether is embarrassing. The industry needs to be pushed forward and tbh Valve is one of the few that could do it with some serious effort. Hopefully this Half-Life VR games turns out great.

People need to realize Valve are not console centric developers. They constantly talk about their dislike of them and even mentioned being done with them not too long ago I believe. Just move on.

Deleted member 47092

Banned
Aug 25, 2018
Valve are the Nicki Minaj of gaming.

Excited to see what this game is about. None of the writing staff that I care about are there though.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017

I don't think it's valve who aren't acting like adults in this scenario.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Valve released two games in the last year. DOTA2 is one of the biggest damn games in the planet.

I've hated Steam as a client for a good 10+ years now, but I'm sure not complaining about the games.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
we aren't entitled to anything. though i'll concede to fan/"community" malpractice on the Half Life front

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017

r6DgfKD.png

They're only consistently always in the top 3 most played games on Steam every day for years, so I think the audiences may have wanted them.

If you want to see people drag Valve, look for CSGO discussion near launch or any discussion on Artifact anywhere.

And to be fair to the former, that wasn't entirely their fault. CSGO before launch and @ launch was basically all Hidden Path Entertainment with input from Valve. After launch Valve took over complete development and turned the game around from the poor state it was in. I guess you could argue it's still their fault for kinda out sourcing it in the first place, but I think they were experimenting with how that would go tbh.