• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
Valve don't need to do anything than taking care of their business and do what they love

you won't get closure / follow up in life every time you'll care about something or someone. Better get used to it op

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
I think the problem is their "boss less" structure, which leads to everyone falling in to only make those titles with the largest possibility of profit over time.

Games as a service is therefore king. No single player game or multiplayer game without a gaas component will ever be as profitable as something like Dota 2.

I'm sure plenty of employees have tried to start up a new l4d, half life or such only to be shown the door in the end.

Deleted member 18324

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The definitions of the words "notable", "blockbuster" and "franchise" being stretched to breaking point in place of saying "pc games I don't like". Must be a Valve thread!

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I tried A Call For Communication, 60,000 people joined up and asked Valve to provide some sort of update on what's happening with the franchise. Nothing happened.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
It's why a lot of pc orientated users left this site and why some choose not to get involved in garbage threads like this one full of dumb drivebys. They just stick to dedicated pc community threads.

Edit: Case in point above and I'm out.

Yeah this forum does not do a great job of policing pc versus console fanboyism at the extent it does fanboyism across console manufacturers. Port begging and drive by/uninformed posting is generally rampant in PC related threads, so it's no wonder that the PC community isn't very vocal here.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Valve don't need to do anything than taking care of their business and do what they love

you won't get closure / follow up in life every time you'll care about something or someone. Better get used to it op
I think this is a weird way to frame this

Like not saying eveyonne at valve is working slave labor, actually from what I understand the opposite. Its a really good job. but there are people who tried to put out single player content and stuff like that but the way its set up, its just better for everyone invovled to just do what they do now. These service games. The people who wanted to do that sort of thing, a lot of those people left. And the people at the top most likely only care about lining there pockets. So its kinda weird to anthropomorphize them. Where it seems like the reason this is occurring is that money is great and service games make a lot. Which isn't inherently negative. But valve isn't a constant, and a lot of the people who made all those single player things bounced. Those people weren't making the stuff they love. Its just business.

Team Fortress 2, CSGo, and Dota2 are among the most successful, most important, and very best games I've ever played and that have ever hit the market. You can shudder at the thoughts if you want to and that's fine if those aren't the kinds of games you like to play. But for me? I can't pretend that not having a story that I'd play once for a couple of dozen hours at best would have been my preference when I compare it to the literal thousands of hours I've spent watching and playing Dota 2, TF2, and CSGo. And imagine not thinking Dota 2 is a AAA game as they sponsor annual $30,000,000.00 tournaments.

There isn't a single sequel to any Valve franchise that I would trade my time and memories spent in Dota 2 for. Not a single fucking thing. Not any game that exists or ever existed, in fact.

Sorry you don't like the games that they like to make.
I think its a good take, if you enjoy valve's multiplayer outings, cool. If you don't also cool. I know how that shit feels, I like jak and daxter and i'm problably not gonna see that any time soon ( even though they brought back sly cooper, where's jak sony you goddamn cowards) . If you like it you like it, if you dont you don't. It makes sense why they do it, it makes sense why you don't like it. We live in a capitalist society. Try and find things that make you happy because the only thing that makes a corporation happy, is a dollar.

ProfessorRad

Oct 1, 2019
Most sequels wouldn't live up to the hype. They would do a much better job with more studio acquisition and new IP from said studio.

A valve mmorpg , battle royale , or fighting game could be quite successful in the current market .

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
It's hard to think of a company that has blown more goodwill this decade. At least Bethesda and Level 5 released games.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Valve stopped making games i care about. I have not a single ounce of desire to play cs go or dota 2, or artifact. If they ever bring back series that i care about in meaningful ways like half life, portal, or left 4 dead....then i will be back on board, but now there is nothing there for me.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I had to search, you mean Artifact and DOTA Chess? (I don't even know what they are)

I'm talking about games that they feel passionate about and most gamers actually want.
Dota Underlords gets patched every single week and has possibly the best communication from Valve ever. They seem excited about it.

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
What ruined my perception of them was looking at their library and thinking about how many of ideas were external to the studio.

Narbacular Drop -> Portal. Tag: The Power of Paint -> Portal 2. Counter-Strike, Left 4 Dead, DotA - most recently In the Valley of Gods. Buying partially formed projects then not really knowing what to do beyond them with the staff.

They're a good video game producer but I don't think they have an irreplaceable creative voice.
I can't stand this reductive nonsense when it comes to Valve games. Narbacular Drop is not Portal, it's not anywhere close to being Portal other than using portals as a gameplay mechanic. Narbacluar Drop is a neat little student project whereas Portal is a game of the year caliber game.

Why is it that Valve is the only developer that gets this kind of criticism towards their games? What exactly did Naughty Dog do that was original with Last Of Us? Or Uncharted 2? Those games didn't invent a new mechanic or way to play but they never get criticized for that because those games are damn good regardless of innovation.

Put another way, none of those games you listed are what they are without Valve's development and creative voice.

Deleted member 18324

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What ruined my perception of them was looking at their library and thinking about how many of ideas were external to the studio.

Narbacular Drop -> Portal. Tag: The Power of Paint -> Portal 2. Counter-Strike, Left 4 Dead, DotA - most recently In the Valley of Gods. Buying partially formed projects then not really knowing what to do beyond them with the staff.

They're a good video game producer but I don't think they have an irreplaceable creative voice.

Ah yes, unlike other games studios like Naughty Dog, whose staff appear fully formed from the studios own cloning vats, having never worked on any products involving the creation of third-person action-adventure games prior to their employment at Naughty Dog.

This is among the dumber "criticisms" I've seen of Valve, condemning them for actively recruiting staff that can prove they can already execute on a concept, often using Valve's own tools.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
The most hilarious part of Valve shitposting is how making a new card game is just motivated by greed, but making an iterative sequel to a best seller game? nope, just passion, lollipops and rainbows!

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to think of a company that has blown more goodwill this decade. At least Bethesda and Level 5 released games.

Bethesda Game Studios hasn't released a game since Skyrim.

And before you mention Fallout 4, Fallout Shelter, Fallout 76, or Elder Scrolls Blades don't bother. They don't count because they're not the games I wanted them to make.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I can't stand this reductive nonsense when it comes to Valve games. Narbacular Drop is not Portal, it's not anywhere close to being Portal other than using portals as a gameplay mechanic. Narbacluar Drop is a neat little student project whereas Portal is a game of the year caliber game.

Why is it that Valve is the only developer that gets this kind of criticism towards their games? What exactly did Naughty Dog do that was original with Last Of Us? Or Uncharted 2? Those games didn't invent a new mechanic or way to play but they never get criticized for that because those games are damn good regardless of innovation.

Put another way, none of those games you listed are what they are without Valve's development and creative voice.

Ah yes, unlike other games studios like Naughty Dog, whose staff appear fully formed from the studios own cloning vats, having never worked on any products involving the creation of third-person action-adventure games prior to their employment at Naughty Dog.

This is among the dumber "criticisms" I've seen of Valve, condemning them for actively recruiting staff that can prove they can already execute on a concept, often using Valve's own tools.

I can't think of other studios where so many of the concepts behind their games were birthed outside of it.

I look at their games and it doesn't seem like they've nurtured a team I could call 'Valve', but incubated promising projects, then didn't really know what to do with the staff beyond them.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
Dota 2, Dota Underlords, Artifact (granted, that's dead), CS:GO.
wow, they've made three games and a card game since 2011. And they let their distribution platform go to shit. And abandoned SteamBox. They don't even bother acquiring companies and releasing their games anymore if the CampoSanto title is actually cancelled.

Bethesda Game Studios hasn't released a game since Skyrim.

And before you mention Fallout 4, Fallout Shelter, Fallout 76, or Elder Scrolls Blades don't bother. They don't count because they're not the games I wanted them to make.
Bethesda as a publisher has released how many games this generation though? There have been more Wolfenstein games this generation than Valve titles.

sauce

Oct 25, 2017
I had to search, you mean Artifact and DOTA Chess? (I don't even know what they are)

I'm talking about games that they feel passionate about and most gamers actually want.
There are more people playing Dota Underlords right now than in Final Fantasy XIV and Monster Hunter World

wow, they've made three games and a card game since 2011. And they let their distribution platform go to shit. And abandoned SteamBox. They don't even bother acquiring companies and releasing their games anymore if the CampoSanto title is actually cancelled.
Their distribution platform is stronger than ever (see the Steam Lab updates that are driving sales for some developers as a result of more eyes on their games), Steambox has been superseded by Proton and Steam Link, and the Campo Santo stuff hasn't been confirmed.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
Has Valve lost good will and/or relevance? This feels like toothless concern trolling. Steam is bigger than ever, and that platform has easily made a greater contribution to PC gaming than any of their blockbuster franchises (and I say that as someone who loves Half-Life and Portal). As long as Valve keeps maintaining and improving Steam, their good will and relevance will be just fine.

Oct 31, 2017
...What?
Their "distribution platform" is in the best shape it's ever been and it keeps adding new features.

I have a lot of unkind words to say about the current Valve as a game developer, but shitting on what they are doing on Steam is delusional.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
From a purely work/life balance perspective, the fact that CS:GO, Dota2, and Steam is enough to keep the lights on, keep everyone paid, and have (I would hope) most people going home to their families at a reasonable time every day, the work incentive to push a AAA franchise game out the door must be minimal. Everyone at the company would have to make a pact to effectively ruin their lives for the next however-many years it takes to develop.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Valve giving zero fucks about AAA console gaming is the best thing about them.

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
From a purely work/life balance perspective, the fact that CS:GO, Dota2, and Steam is enough to keep the lights on, keep everyone paid, and have (I would hope) most people going home to their families at a reasonable time every day, the work incentive to push a AAA franchise game out the door must be minimal. Everyone at the company would have to make a pact to effectively ruin their lives for the next however-many years it takes to develop.
Add in the company vacation on Hawaii.

Reminder regarding "Valve doesn't make games" rhetoric

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
While it is fine to state that a developer or publisher has not released any games that you are personally interested in, it is categorically false and trolling to state that they haven't made any games period.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are more people playing Dota Underlords right now than in Final Fantasy XIV and Monster Hunter World

Good for them I guess.

Doesn't really help the rest of us wanting Valve to allow or make more Half Life games.

But just like Konami and their pachinko machines I guess if the money's good who cares about anything else.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Valve is a completely different company now than they were in a decade ago all the way down to their business model.

I don't know why this is still a revelation for some people.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
They probably have a whole server room dedicated to just filling excel files with Steam income numbers

That Valve ain't coming back

sauce

Oct 25, 2017
Good for them I guess.

Doesn't really help the rest of us wanting Valve to allow or make more Half Life games.

But just like Konami and their pachinko machines I guess if the money's good who cares about anything else.
They're literally making a Half Life game if the leaks are to be believed. Any other half-baked arguments you want to make?

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
I've probably played more Dota underlords in the last few months than anything else.

Saikar

Nov 3, 2017
I have no idea how Valve remains a common discussion around here. The company that I, the OP, and the rest of us enjoyed stopped making anything worth talking about closing on ten years ago. Worse, they stopped existing in that from long ago too. Even if the rumors are true and they're making a new game, who cares? At this point so many people have left that whatever they have left is a different place. May be an okay place, they might someday make good games again, but they'll be different ones from what we remember. The old days are gone and they ain't comin back.

Madrugador

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Valve went from being my favorite developer to almost irrelevant (I mostly enjoyed their SP output and TF2).

But I'm actually hyped by Half-Life VR. Hopefully it delivers.