• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
How do any of you enjoy this game without ragdoll physics? It's a small thing, but it completely invalidates the entire game IMO. I absolutely DETEST the shitty death animations.
Seems pretty unimportant to most of us lol. I honestly didn't notice it until you brought it up, because I'm focused on the next target after killing someone, not how they fall

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I love a good ragdoll but I really don't mind animated death animations at all in a hyper competitive game like this

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
I love a good ragdoll but I really don't mind animated death animations at all in a hyper competitive game like this
Seems pretty unimportant to most of us lol. I honestly didn't notice it until you brought it up, because I'm focused on the next target after killing someone, not how they fall
I was hoping since they were going the animated route they would have a nod to the awesome 1.6 headshot animation.
mPgLKK.gif

neilyadig

Nov 13, 2017
I was hoping since they were going the animated route they would have a nod to the awesome 1.6 headshot animation.
mPgLKK.gif
I'll admit, that does look good. But I have to say I didn't even remember what the animation was for 1.6 and I didn't notice in Valorant. What I did notice was the audio/visual cues outside of the actual player death animation that were very satisfying. Maybe they'll update it later.

A Grizzly Bear

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'll admit, that does look good. But I have to say I didn't even remember what the animation was for 1.6 and I didn't notice in Valorant. What I did notice was the audio/visual cues outside of the actual player death animation that were very satisfying. Maybe they'll update it later.
I don't know if I see them adding it. Feels like an unnecessary addition that would take up resources impacting their lower end users.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if I see them adding it. Feels like an unnecessary addition that would take up resources impacting their lower end users.
They were in initially but removed.

Morello also revealed that ragdoll animations were initially in the game but in a tongue-in-cheek manner confessed he "ruined them".

They were ultimately removed for "gameplay purity and competitive integrity" giving the example of Sage being unable to revive a fallen agent if they fell or were inaccessible due to their death animation.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
HEAVILY disagree with your opinion in the context of a competitive shooter.
The two competitive shooters that this game shamelessly cribs from in terms of design use ragdoll physics to great effect and without having any impact on their competitive viability.

Not to mention every other modern shooter in existence, competitive or not, has used them for over a decade now.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why riot always insists on making people grind for additional characters...well I know why...$$$$$$$$ but still so annoying. Looks like it will take quite a while to unlock a character after the initial 2.

A Grizzly Bear

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The two competitive shooters that this game shamelessly cribs from in terms of design use ragdoll physics to great effect and without having any impact on their competitive viability.

Not to mention every other modern shooter in existence, competitive or not, has used them for over a decade now.
There's a bit of irony in pointing out where they took inspiration from while complaining that they didn't bring over a feature those games have.

You can disable dead bodies in Valorant so I'm not sure what the point of ragdoll would be.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So I've heard a lot of good things about the game, but I'm assuming this is less of a game that you can approach casually like many other hero shooters?

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Shooting people isn't satisfying when they flop over with the shittiest animation on Earth and clip through the floor. It makes the game feel like it belongs in 1999. Absolutely fucking TERRIBLE.

And from the sound of things it's intentional.

Fuck that logic right in the ass. I hate it so very much, I don't care how irrational I sound. A modern shooter NEEDS procedural death animations.

Well, it's a competitive game in the vein of CSGO. And like that game, death results on immediatly dropping to the floor when killed as to not confuse other players into thinking a player is still alive while the ragdoll physics goes bananas flapping bodies all over as they die.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
So I've heard a lot of good things about the game, but I'm assuming this is less of a game that you can approach casually like many other hero shooters?
Correct. If you can't aim, you'll get outplayed. But you can learn. My aim has gotten significantly better since I kept at it, but still have some games where I get absolutely stomped by someone with more raw talent

A Grizzly Bear

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Is there a way to buy the characters?
Yes. You can unlock the first 5 levels of an agent's contract, which unlocks them.

It's more of a game about positioning, map awareness and information gathering. You can do well with subpar aim if you nail those other aspects down.
Truth. Last night I had a teammate claiming I was baiting because they refused to hold an angle on defense and constantly died rushing out to mid on Ascent. Their aim was great in even duels, but they just had terrible game sense and positioning.

Edit: To add onto that, we started on Def and they finished the half at the bottom of the board with 5 kills. On Attack their aggression paid off and got them second on the team. Success in this game, much like CSGO, comes in different forms.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
my friend thinks phoenix sounds like he is congested lol

i said no that's just how some people talk

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Well, it's a competitive game in the vein of CSGO. And like that game, death results on immediatly dropping to the floor when killed as to not confuse other players into thinking a player is still alive while the ragdoll physics goes bananas flapping bodies all over as they die.
CSGO has ragdoll physics, as does every other contemporary competitive shooter.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck that logic right in the ass. I hate it so very much, I don't care how irrational I sound. A modern shooter NEEDS procedural death animations.

Except that's actual logic. There are multiple abilities in the game that involve interacting with corpses. Ergo, the position of corpses needs to be consistent server-side and with every client in the match. Server-Side ragdolls would be a massive performance drain on both server and clients and prone to other issues. And unfortunately, Ragdoll physics (and physics in general in 99% of games) is inherently non-deterministic and often produces wildly different results on different players PCs depending on a large list of factors in their environment, from simple framerate differences to ping/lag having a player ever so slightly off from where they are on other clients, all factors which change the end-result.

This is a bad thing when trying to maintain an absolutely level playing field, and Ubisoft have been slowly peeling back as many client-trusted variables as they can from Siege with each new update - The latest in the new Year being debris from smashed windows: If a Client smashed a Window Board a certain way, the debris would fly out on their screen, but get stuck on other players screens, giving that player a one-way Kill-Hole which was exploited quite extensively in the months leading up to Y5. Of course Ubi's solution was to remove this debris completely, as Serversiding the physics would be an unnecessary strain on the already overstrained Azure servers.

By sticking with canned animations, there is much less overhead in keeping their position and pose synchronized between all clients. Which prevents inconsistent visibility between different players - An infamous issue in R6Siege where the position someone's ragdoll ends up in could occlude visibility for one player, while another (IE, a Defender locking down an angle) isn't occluded and able to shoot first because their client's ragdoll calculation let them see first. In Valorant, a corpse will be in the exact same spot for every player in the same pose, and is guaranteed to be level with the floor.

This means that you will always be getting Revived or Cyper-Hacked from the exact same position which your corpse is in no matter whom is doing it - Versus, say, Frostbite-Engine Battlefield games where Revive-Teleporting, or worse, Dud-Revives is a major part of the jank, because Medics are acting off of where their client says someone's body is, which is almost always different from where the revived thought they were - And if it's too different from where the server says their body is, well, you're left with someone who can't be revived no matter how much the Medics spam M1 on their corpse with a Revive icon over it.

Mr_Blue_Sky

Oct 25, 2017
Huh weird, getting some strange input lag that wasn't happening during the beta, anyone else have this issue? I'll try reinstalling if it persists but doesn't seem to be happening on any other game I open up.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Is anyone else getting a connection error when trying to launch the game? I haven't been able to start it for like the past hour. Restarting my computer didn't help either.

edit: fixed it. Had to reinstall vanguard

Last edited:

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Except that's actual logic. There are multiple abilities in the game that involve interacting with corpses. Ergo, the position of corpses needs to be consistent server-side and with every client in the match. Server-Side ragdolls would be a massive performance drain on both server and clients and prone to other issues. And unfortunately, Ragdoll physics (and physics in general in 99% of games) is inherently non-deterministic and often produces wildly different results on different players PCs depending on a large list of factors in their environment, from simple framerate differences to ping/lag having a player ever so slightly off from where they are on other clients, all factors which change the end-result.

This is a bad thing when trying to maintain an absolutely level playing field, and Ubisoft have been slowly peeling back as many client-trusted variables as they can from Siege with each new update - The latest in the new Year being debris from smashed windows: If a Client smashed a Window Board a certain way, the debris would fly out on their screen, but get stuck on other players screens, giving that player a one-way Kill-Hole which was exploited quite extensively in the months leading up to Y5. Of course Ubi's solution was to remove this debris completely, as Serversiding the physics would be an unnecessary strain on the already overstrained Azure servers.

By sticking with canned animations, there is much less overhead in keeping their position and pose synchronized between all clients. Which prevents inconsistent visibility between different players - An infamous issue in R6Siege where the position someone's ragdoll ends up in could occlude visibility for one player, while another (IE, a Defender locking down an angle) isn't occluded and able to shoot first because their client's ragdoll calculation let them see first. In Valorant, a corpse will be in the exact same spot for every player in the same pose, and is guaranteed to be level with the floor.

This means that you will always be getting Revived or Cyper-Hacked from the exact same position which your corpse is in no matter whom is doing it - Versus, say, Frostbite-Engine Battlefield games where Revive-Teleporting, or worse, Dud-Revives is a major part of the jank, because Medics are acting off of where their client says someone's body is, which is almost always different from where the revived thought they were - And if it's too different from where the server says their body is, well, you're left with someone who can't be revived no matter how much the Medics spam M1 on their corpse with a Revive icon over it.
Yes, I understand all of that. I really do.

But I fucking hate it. It needs ragdoll physics, and I'll stand by that until my dying breath.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Let me ruin Valorant for everyone.

The Sheriff's cartridges still have the bullet in them when reloaded.

The Default doesn't chamber a round nor have any rounds in the magazine in its equip animation when it's cocked and the chamber is fully visible.

Oct 25, 2017
We should get some resetera parties going. I absolutely suck at this game but willing to learn.

Game name is NestledGrizzly

Feel free to add me. Maybe we can get a full resetera squad

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
ughhh absolute trash today, like 2 wins out of 10 games

also: still haven't seen split once, and people keep flaking out at the select screen

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Crazy the toxicity levels. It was non-existent for me in the beta. Now every match there are flame wars.

Mr_DyZ

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 12, 2019
I don't know anyone else's feelings, but I'm not a huge fan of the new map, and I feel like it's weighted more in the rotation, because it's like ALL i'm getting.

Also spike rush is dope but I wish it were a tad bit longer (like first to 8 or something). With everyone getting abilities and no eco, it goes pretty fast.

FuzzyWuzzy

Prophet of Truth
Apr 7, 2019
Austria
Ascent is a weird one, I like the b side and the idea of a more traditional mid, but damn I find A Site to be horrible

Jun 17, 2018
I don't know anyone else's feelings, but I'm not a huge fan of the new map, and I feel like it's weighted more in the rotation, because it's like ALL i'm getting.

Also spike rush is dope but I wish it were a tad bit longer (like first to 8 or something). With everyone getting abilities and no eco, it goes pretty fast.

I think 6 would be my preferred cap as 4 feels just a touch short. However, I love the idea of bite sized games as they have been ideal for me. Nothing like a cup of coffee and 2 or 3 games before work.

Matesamo

Nov 1, 2017
Rhode Island
We should get some resetera parties going. I absolutely suck at this game but willing to learn.
Game name is NestledGrizzly
Feel free to add me. Maybe we can get a full resetera squad

I will add you, my name is Matesamo, Riot ID# 9805

Crazy the toxicity levels. It was non-existent for me in the beta. Now every match there are flame wars.

I am hoping it is the first week but man oh man. I was slotted into a team up and did a "What's up everyone?" and got immediate crap from my own players, lol. I don't play many online games and know the toxic environment but I was hoping for the best.

Last edited:

Xenor

Jun 1, 2018
I would like to play the game but I don't want to install this anti-cheat software which runs all the time while my PC is on.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
I would like to play the game but I don't want to install this anti-cheat software which runs all the time while my PC is on.

you can turn it off (but then you have to reboot before you play). actually hasn't caused any issues for me, but definitely understand your position

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
So I gave the game a shot last night instead of just blindly hating on it for being so creatively bankrupt, and I do think that it has a solid foundation and some good potential. How much it cribs from CS and OW is still absolutely shameful, and the hit-reg still feels a little off despite the 128-tick servers to me. That could also have something to do with the GOD DAMN LACK OF RAGDOLL PHYSICS, but I've already belabored that point in this thread.

The world is utterly forgettable and under-realized, the heroes are all derivative and lack personality, and the core design is so similar to CS that it borders on copyright infringement...

But it is decently fun to play at this early state. I'll keep playing and giving it a fair shake. If they would literally just add ragdoll physics it'd improve my opinion of the game tenfold.

Milky Way

Oct 29, 2017

Riot said it is weighted more in rotation so people can become familiar with it.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For all the controversies around the kernel-level cheat detection... there's certainly plenty of cheaters.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
Z2ojWtl.png

My current crosshair seems to be very popular with all the random people I get matched with. One guy was calling it the demongorgon??