• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I'll give it a try, but that art style looks really dull. Appreciate them taking the push for 128 tick, though. That's something that CS should have done 10,000,000,000 years ago.

DJKippling

Nov 1, 2017
seems the abilities are way too plentiful for my liking. i would rather you get much fewer uses and have to really value them. seems they regenerate as well which seems a little too much.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Imagine if Valve also release a new operation around the time that Valorant releases... I won't be able to leave the house!

(well only for ESL One Cologne, unless that also doesn't allow a crowd)

jerd

Oct 26, 2017
Definitely think the ability to run on basically anything is a big reason League is so big, also explains why the game is visually a little on the flat side. I'll definitely check it out

PrintedCrayon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seadome
I'm failing to understand the apathy toward the art style. For a shooter such as this surely visibility and a "clean" aesthetic are highly critical to ensuring player success?

It isn't like CSGO is a stunner in regards to its presentation.

I'm excited to try this though, any news of a beta or anything?

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
coming from years in Overwatch and never getting around CSGO, i'm interested and def gonna give it a try.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
I'm failing to understand the apathy toward the art style. For a shooter such as this surely visibility and a "clean" aesthetic are highly critical to ensuring player success?

It isn't like CSGO is a stunner in regards to its presentation.

I'm excited to try this though, any news of a beta or anything?
They said there was gonna be a closed beta before the release this summer, but no news of exactly when.

deeganay

Oct 30, 2017
I actually like that the game does not require that much processing power. Using a Surface Go is quite limiting when it comes to gaming, and while I can play some games there are others I cannot!
Hoping this game is good and popular! Counter Strike is a great game, but this seems to put a nice twist on it!

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

It's the same as with digital audio. People think that just because you can increase the bitrate you'll get more detail, but that's not actually physically true.
That article is impressively stupid. It opens with the headline "128 Tick Doesn't Matter" and ends with with the tl;dr "Sure, 128 tick is better."
And between that you get incorrect facts or points that have absolutely nothing to do with the tickrate.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
These comments lol ERA is just one collective wet blanket

That said, I don't like how long CSGO takes to play. I can usually deduce within the first thirty seconds whether my teammates are going to waste my time; sticking around beyond that point makes me complicit in the wasting of my own time, so shorter games are better for me, and this game is explicitly going after the CSGO crowd. Good luck to those who want to try, though!

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
If it's free I'll try it, but I can tell it won't replace Overwatch for me. The TTK is way too low for my tastes.
The guns and abilities don't matter much when everyone dies in a split-second from everything anyway. So it's more about whoever spots who and pulls the trigger first.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
For some reason I've been curious about this game despite not being able to pinpoint any particular reason why. Guess I'm just in a mood for a new shooter to come along that I could pick up and enjoy.
However, as a garbage pail casual, the sound of 30+ minute matches and highly punishing style sure makes it sound like this isn't the experience I'm really looking for. If they deliver later on about the quicker more casual match-types I might give it a go down the road but I'm not the audience for this right now, it seems.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Looks a lot cleaner in motion than those screenshot yesterday implied, I'll definitely check this out.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Honestly it feels like the market is saturated with GAAS. Can't really get excited about such games anymore and the voice overs from the alpha footage reminded me of bad E3 presentations.

There's potential but it also feels like yet another hero shooter. The problem is we already have tons of such games right now: Overwatch, CS:GO, Apex, Siege, TF2, etc. Even if it blends different gameplay styles you can only spend so much time with GAAS.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
If it's free I'll try it, but I can tell it won't replace Overwatch for me. The TTK is way too low for my tastes.
The guns and abilities don't matter much when everyone dies in a split-second from everything anyway. So it's more about whoever spots who and pulls the trigger first.

If it's anything like CS, it'll take quite a bit of practise to reliably kill people quickly. And weapon-feel matters a lot in that game.

eebster

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Probably looks more exciting to people who like CS:GO. For me this just looks dull.

The white-haired guy looks like a snack though. That's all the excitement I'm getting from this.

I don't think this game will win over too many CS players. At least for me personally, I don't want superpowers in my tactical shooters. Guess it will be more of an alternative to the Overwatch/Apex Crowd than the CS crowd

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly it feels like the market is saturated with GAAS. Can't really get excited about such games anymore and the voice overs from the alpha footage reminded me of bad E3 presentations.

There's potential but it also feels like yet another hero shooter. The problem is we already have tons of such games right now: Overwatch, CS:GO, Apex, Siege, TF2, etc. Even if it blends different gameplay styles you can only spend so much time with GAAS.

I think you will find that there target market is existing League players.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think this game will win over too many CS players. At least for me personally, I don't want superpowers in my tactical shooters. Guess it will be more of an alternative to the Overwatch/Apex Crowd than the CS crowd
Oof, this is all anecdotal of course but you can bet your butt a lot of ex-pros and streamers will jump ship. At the very least to try it out of course but I can easily see this being their main game from that point on.

OW has shooter elements but is far more akin to a fighting/MOBA game and Apex is its own thing. Valorant is coming straight for the CS/Crossfire crowd and I suspect they'll easily grab a significant chunk out of their respective communities.

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019

I don't know, there are still players who are clamoring for online competitive games that aren't BR, so the more the merrier

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I still don't think this is gonna pull me in; the TTK seems very low like in CS, and it's super punishing for beginners. The abilities might offset that though...

Balancing TTK is important and considering this game seems similar to Fortnite, PubG and Call of Duty this low TTK won't prevent it from being popular.

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
I don't know how design prefers first person shooters without the ability to ADS weapons. It just feels archaic and reminds me old 90s shooters that hadn't implemented it due to constraint.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how design prefers first person shooters without the ability to ADS weapons. It just feels archaic and reminds me old 90s shooters that hadn't implemented it due to constraint.

qdxifyi3i8i31.jpg

CGriffiths86

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like this game is going to be incredibly popular. Just having RIOTs name on it will do a ton, but it being familiar in game play, 128 tick, low system requirements, and setting up the networking to give the majority of players an excellent ping is going to be massive. I never played LoL, but I know they have quite the player base.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Because it really doesnt matter. A lot of comp players don't care about immersiveness.

I prefer it honestly, ADS outside of snipers adds nothing of value to me.

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn right.. Would love to see other games upgrade their servers to adopt this (Siege I'm looking at you).

Any news on whether this is coming to consoles (not port begging but no platforms mentioned).

No info available yet - but I wouldn't count on it. All the language seems to be very geared to the PC. I don't think Riot publishes any games on consoles as well.

Kuga

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What an odd mashup of shooter genres. I'll try it out since it's (presumably) free but I'm not sold on "CS with support abilities". Some of the effects are also very jarring (such as the fog clouds / walls) and I hope they refine the visual design before release. I'm sure it'll have a large audience just because it's made by Riot but I'm not yet convinced it will win over the OW/TF2/CS crowds. I guess we'll see.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Because it really doesnt matter. A lot of comp players don't care about immersiveness.

I prefer it honestly, ADS outside of snipers adds nothing of value to me.
I mean to be fair in a lot of games nowadays ADS provides a tightening of spread/accuracy. For a lot of contemporary shooters it means you can take more accurate shots, sometimes even regardless of movement (see CoD). So I understand why it might seem weird for people who are unfamiliar with CS/Valorant/etc that there's no standard ADS mechanic.

I remember trying to explain this to a friend years ago who asked me why people always "hipfire in CSGO" lol.

Creatchee

Oct 26, 2017
Sarasota, Florida
ADS is a crutch. It was mainly implemented for console players because aiming with sticks is harder than mouse and keyboard. ADS allows both zoom and aim assist to kick in and help people kill rather than spray all over the place.

With mouse and keyboard, there is no aim assist. Hence you are left with Just adding on a zoom (which is still an advantage). That's why in CS:GO, the scopes guns cost more.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean to be fair in a lot of games nowadays ADS provides a tightening of spread/accuracy. For a lot of contemporary shooters it means you can take more accurate shots, sometimes even regardless of movement (see CoD). So I understand why it might seem weird for people who are unfamiliar with CS/Valorant/etc that there's no standard ADS mechanic.

I remember trying to explain this to a friend years ago who asked me why people always "hipfire in CSGO" lol.
Which is dumb. In 95% of those games, firing from the hip is completely useless because of said improvements when ADS. Like, why even create the need to switch back and forth between running normally and firing with ADS? Is that an interesting gameplay loop I missed the memo on?

And the ADS itself doesnt even make sense. Like, why does spread reduce just because you look down a pipe lol.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
Last edited: