• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Every thread title that starts with "X drops off after release on twitch" is useless information, it'll always happen with every big release. Water is wet.

KenobiLTS

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Why do people on Twitch like Riot games so much? Both of their games have crazy amount of views but i never see people in real life play them that much or talk about them. I personally think they target poor (financially) gamers, that's why they're so popular on Twitch.🤔

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
I fully admit that Twitch is my old-man-yells-at-cloud moment, but it really just flabbergasts me how the success or failure of games now are being judged not on the metrics of people actually playing the game, but by the number of stream views.

Your argument fails though because this is exactly how popularity of live sports is gauged... It makes a ton of sense to identify the same level of success in competitive video games as well.

Oct 25, 2017
Average Daily High and Daily Low are above CS: GO for now but the average is dropping decently for the past 2 weeks but i guess there's also the fact that a lot of people were watching the streams weeks before for the beta keys!
Yeah, so the people crowding the streams are now actually playing the game. Drops will still continue throughout the closed beta all the way up to release. After all is said and done this game will be sitting comfortably with LoL, Fortnite, and Just Chatting.

Apex Legends this is not.

Why do people on Twitch like Riot games so much? Both of their games have crazy amount of views but i never see people in real life play them that much or talk about them. I personally think they target poor (financially) gamers, that's why they're so popular on Twitch.🤔
When I first got to college almost everyone I knew that played video games played League of Legends. If you were born before the year 1994 I can see where you're coming from but if not I'm just going to say you had a very unique experience

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
Headline Option #1: "[After stopping dropping beta keys,] Valorant average concurrent viewership drops over 70%".
Headline Option #2: "[After stopping dropping beta keys,] Valorant is still #1 watched on Twitch".
Headline Option #3: "[After stopping dropping beta keys,] Valorant is still #1 watched on Twitch despite average concurrent viewership dropping over 70%".

I wonder why Headline Option #1 was chosen instead of #2 or #3?

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017
User Warned - Thread Whining
rofl this thread is stupid

1) Most people have their keys so a ton of bots stopped watching

2) Game is in beta

3) Ranked isn't out

4) Game was never going to have a million concurrent viewers every single day

5) It still holds the #1 spot at 500k+

TLDR ; OP sounds like a cs fanboy jealous of valorants success

jimmer kripper

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
csgo's viewership has been dead for a long time, apart from when big events are on

XSX

Oct 31, 2017
This game was never going to kill CS. Anyone who believed that is a fool lmao.

valorant will be fine.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
Your argument fails though because this is exactly how popularity of live sports is gauged... It makes a ton of sense to identify the same level of success in competitive video games as well.

I'm not making any sort of argument, just commenting that as a NES-raised single-player focused gamer the entire concept of watching video games instead of playing them is entirely foreign to me. Not passing judgment on those who do...

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Twitch was buckling under the weight of a bunch of bots farming Valorant keys.

2) Game is in beta

3) Ranked isn't out

Glad you enjoy Valorant.

I'm not making any sort of argument, just commenting that as a NES-raised single-player focused gamer the entire concept of watching video games instead of playing them is entirely foreign to me. Not passing judgment on those who do...

You never had any friends that you wanted to discuss video games with? Think about that on a macro scale.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

Think of it like watching football instead of playing it

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
Very weird thread. There's a lot of factors that will result in a drop of viewers. The game and streams for the game are still hugely popular. It's number 1 on Twitch right now.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoy both cs and valorant but damn the thread title + how he worded the OP yells "im jealous of valorants success"
No that's not how I read it at all especially the ones rushing into correct op. It seems likely the only reason the game has the views it does is because of the beta drops and there's no guarantee that it will keep up the level of views it has now in the long term.

Oct 25, 2017
Headline Option #1: "[After stopping dropping beta keys,] Valorant average concurrent viewership drops over 70%".
Headline Option #2: "[After stopping dropping beta keys,] Valorant is still #1 watched on Twitch".
Headline Option #3: "[After stopping dropping beta keys,] Valorant is still #1 watched on Twitch despite average concurrent viewership dropping over 70%".

these are the threads that get shared on Twitter and subreddits and become the laughing stalk of the internet

jimmer kripper

Banned
Oct 28, 2018
Summit1g said CSGO's problem on Twitch was that fact that there's too many tournaments and not enough everyday streamers playing. LoL hits the perfect balance and I believe Riot wants Valorant to hit that too
I think it's just something about the game too. I play cs but just can't watch cs streamers for too long. I can watch league for ages though. Maybe I'll get bored of valorant as well.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
joke thread? It had 1.6mil viewers no game in twitch history has had a steady 1.6mil viewers. Cs go never has a steady 100k watching always(although it is near that). Viewer number was bound to drop hard. Usually a 150-200k viewer games is no 1 on twitch on normal days

DJKippling

Nov 1, 2017
anyone not actually streaming live should be banned. there's a re-run feature for that exact reason but still no enforcement. its exploiting the viewers plain and simple

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
League of Legends is one of the biggest games in the world and has been for literally years and it's not just on Twitch.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
By the way, I think the game will be widly successful but the viewer numbers a few months after release won't be high unless there's a tournament or league finals running. Just like CS.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
So it went from 1st place on Twitch to... still 1st place?

V1HCHss.png
Literally laughing on floor.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
No that's not how I read it at all especially the ones rushing into correct op. It seems likely the only reason the game has the views it does is because of the beta drops and there's no guarantee that it will keep up the level of views it has now in the long term.
The esports scene will keep it going strong for years just like it has for CS, League, Dota 2, etc.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
No game will maintain a million plus viewers concurrent for very long. The fact Valorant did it for weeks is a huge accomplishment and the numbers it's putting up now are still fantastic.

JohnsonUT

Oct 27, 2017
How does the "Key drop" model work? Does Riot pay twitch to unlock this ability? Do streamers sign contracts with Riot saying they will get keys, but they cannot bad mouth the game?

It seems like a pretty good model that is win-win-win. More people on twitch,more eyes on streamers with keys, more advertising of a game. But, it also seems very easily corruptible.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Beta key drops, viewerbots, etc. mean no reason to watch if you just want to play/aren't interested anymore

OP
OP
AshenOne

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan

2) Game is in beta

3) Ranked isn't out

I don't care much about CS:GO a lot nor do I love it in anyway but when people hype a new thing and claim that x is gonna overtake y which has been the king in z gaming space then people set huge expectations from x. But yeah While I might've and should've phrased the title and the thread description differently calling me a 'fanboy' is banworthy on era. I suggest you don't use it like that ever again without and without any solid proof.

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I don't care much about CS:GO a lot nor do I love it in anyway but when people hype a new thing and claim that x is gonna overtake y which has been the king in z gaming space then people set huge expectations from x. But yeah While I might've and should've phrased the title and the thread description differently calling me a 'fanboy' is banworthy on era. I suggest you don't use it like that ever again without and without any solid proof.

So then you admit that your phrasing was made out of spite

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Personally Ive just been idling in streams to get a key. Still impressive numbers even now but there are probably a massive chunk that just want a chance to play, not watch.

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017

Maybe put some thought process into wording your threads better next time then

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
As others have mentioned, not totally surprising due to the whole beta key situation.

I was parked in streams nonstop the first few days, but once I got my key I stopped.

Been playing the beta on and off, think it's actually pretty fun, but the initial numbers and hype was certainly inflated due to the beta key stuff.

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
How does the "Key drop" model work? Does Riot pay twitch to unlock this ability? Do streamers sign contracts with Riot saying they will get keys, but they cannot bad mouth the game?

It seems like a pretty good model that is win-win-win. More people on twitch,more eyes on streamers with keys, more advertising of a game. But, it also seems very easily corruptible.

Pretty sure twitch drops have been a thing way before Valorant. I would imagine it's just that implementation, where the "drop" is whitelisting your account for beta access. Anyone can download the client, one just gets rejected at the login screen if their account doesn't have access to the beta.

OP
OP
AshenOne

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
So then you admit that your phrasing was made out of spite
Out of spite? Well I certainly think that the drop is significant and I made the thread around that but do you know why specifically? Because it was posted with the same thread title as on R/PCGaming which i originally saw the news at so copied and pasted the same title here. So that would be a no, It wasn't my 'idea'. You can check my post history if you want to and see howl little i've participated with valorant threads.

JohnsonUT

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure twitch drops have been a thing way before Valorant. I would imagine it's just that implementation, where the "drop" is whitelisting your account for beta access. Anyone can download the client, one just gets rejected at the login screen if their account doesn't have access to the beta.
I don't necessarily mean how does it technically work. I am more wondering about the business models of the various players because this seems like it is going to be a standard going forward.

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Out of spite? Well I certainly think that the drop is significant and I made the thread around that but do you know why specifically? Because it was posted with the same thread title as on R/PCGaming which i originally saw the news at so copied and pasted the same title here. So that would be a no, It wasn't my 'idea'. You can check my post history if you want to and see howl little i've participated with valorant threads.

But it's been proven in this thread that the drop isn't significant at all given the circumstances. The thread title from Reddit is dramatic on purpose to get people riled, and you've now brought that to ResetERA with a literal copy and paste.

Vinx

Sep 9, 2019
FOMO giveth and FOMO taketh away.

Twitch viewership has never been a barometer of a video game's popularity and never will be.

When Valorant falls below 100k viewers we'll have this exact same topic and people will claim it's dead and people will claim it's doing just fine.

OP
OP
AshenOne

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
But it's been proven in this thread that the drop isn't significant at all given the circumstances. The thread title from Reddit is dramatic on purpose to get people riled, and you've now brought that to ResetERA with a literal copy and paste.
Yes its been proven later on and I too later realized it and wrote that i should've phrased better... why do keep insisting that i have some sort of 'spite' for valorant when i don't care a lot for the online competitive scene in general, let alone CS: GO? Its not the first time someone misphrased a thread title on era?

Mr_DyZ

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
Like a third of summit's viewers were bot/fake accounts trying to get entitlement access. You could go into any one of his streams and pull up the user list. Almost a third were accounts titled something along the lines of "valorant.." or "...valorant".

Oct 25, 2017

They haven't stopped dropping beta keys, it's still going. The biggest stream right now at 121K viewers is a 24/7 stream showing highlights because it has drops enabled and because it runs all the time so they don't have to be active switching the stream.

In addition to all the people leaving who got their key, ebay bots are also probably gone because the value of an account with beta access has gone down so much it's not worth for most scalpers to do this any more.