• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Jumped in with 3 friends - the game is gorgeous and immersive. Can't wait to play more.
Hunting in the Woods reminds me of BotW. It's really great.

Fizzgig

Oct 30, 2017
Decided to buy it and wow, this game is gorgeous. The thunderstorms are something else, along with the early morning sunrise over a hazy river. I can see myself putting a lot of hours into this, even though I'm rubbish at designing buildings.

I can't believe it was around 550Mb in size.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
*Waits for post about trolls destroying it*

Well, I'm prepared now.

892970-20210208004755-1.png

892970-20210208005200-1.png

892970-20210208004948-1.png

892970-20210208004846-1.png

892970-20210208004830-1.png

892970-20210208004808-1.png

So, maybe I finally go explore now. Reached Day 10 and got a new message in the sleeping screen, hope I'm not wasting too much time. :D

Wish I could get it over 40fps, at least it hovers between 30 and 40 now which is acceptable, but reading that other people with the same specs or worse can get better performance is weird. :/
Phil, Xbox Preview Program, now!

OP
OP
CountAntonio

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I'm prepared now.

892970-20210208004755-1.png

892970-20210208005200-1.png

892970-20210208004948-1.png

892970-20210208004846-1.png

892970-20210208004830-1.png

892970-20210208004808-1.png

So, maybe I finally go explore now. Reached Day 10 and got a new message in the sleeping screen, hope I'm not wasting too much time. :D

Wish I could get it over 40fps, at least it hovers between 30 and 40 now which is acceptable, but reading that other people with the same specs or worse can get better performance is weird. :/
Phil, Xbox Preview Program, now!
Dang that's a pretty. Also anyone feel free to make a proper OT if anyone wants.

Valheim |OT| A Disturbance in the Norse

rac

Oct 25, 2017
think i hit my first wall as a solo player
was in search of some material that lets me get a smelter and came across a two start troll that one shot me
now i have to build a raft to get all my stuff

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah obviously without PvP not sure how long it will stay big with these steamers but at the very least some have put many hours into it and they are still having fun. The challenge keeps ramping up and I don't think I've seen anyone get past the swamp biome yet.
Doesn't need PvP to have a steady playerbase. As long as they keep adding interesting new content, players will come back.

Would love to see them add a dragon or an ice giant in the future.

OP
OP
CountAntonio

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't need PvP to have a steady playerbase. As long as they keep adding interesting new content, players will come back.

Would love to see them add a dragon or an ice giant in the future.
Oh I just meant on Twitch. No doubt this game will keep a healthy playerbase. Especially with so many comparisons to Terraria being made.

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
This game is damn good. I just started sailing and I can't believe how big the world is. I haven't even explored the whole starting island and it just seems like a drop.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
It really doesn't "deserve" the "survival" moniker cause it makes it seem like it's one of those "you are constantly starving, dieing of thirst and your nutrients are low" games which it totally isn't. You literally can not die from hunger in this, there is no thirst and you don't die from some slight cold night air but only from an actual freezing ice mountain biome (unless you wear warm clothes).
The game is so damn CHILL about its systems, it is so very very refreshing to play a game that respects the player for once.
Like repairing items not costing resources is just....god it is SO GOOD. It doesn't treat the players time and energy like shit.

Khezu

Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate how good the combat is.
It's very simple, but it feels polished enough that it doesn't make me hate life.

The entire game feels weirdly polished for what it is.

Just finished the first boss and man that was cool.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I appreciate how good the combat is.
It's very simple, but it feels polished enough that it doesn't make me hate life.

The entire game feels weirdly polished for what it is.

Just finished the first boss and man that was cool.
Yeah i said this earlier to the people i was playing with. The combat is super simple but also super engaging.
It has PARRIES! It has POISE BREAK! It has BACKSTABS! There is SKYRIM STYLE STEALTH COMPLETE WITH THE LITTLE EYE ICON!
Like WHAT?

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also, this is what Embracer is releasing, for when people ask. Coffee Stain has quietly released multiple million sellers now, either as dev or publisher (both bought be embracer over the last year).

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Can't stop thinking about this game. It's just such a wonderful surprise. It's fun coop, but I also enjoy the solo experience on my own server too.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
Found a troll cave, and killed what appeared to be the troll mother, and all they had was coal in their chest, now I feel bad.

OP
OP
CountAntonio

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Was already gaining interest but this might be the final push, mind elaborating on this?
I guess its the fact that progress is gated through bossfights, survival elements are pretty minimal compared to other games. You won't die of hunger for instance and is more of a co-op game.
If I start can I migrate my character to another server?
Yes and I believe anything you have on his inventory.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Of course, this is the only game I have trouble streaming to my laptop via Steam! I just want to play in the living room, dammit.

Fantastic game--really loving it so far.

Having no cost to repair is a great move, although it does make me wonder why even have tool/weapon wear-n-tear if repairs are just button clicks with no other impact to the gameplay or ecosystem. Not that I want a cost to repairs but--why not just remove that element if it's barely a mechanic?

Regardless, removing barriers like this encourages the player to try more and do more, which feels really fresh. The game has such a calm kind of demeanor to it. The music is a big part of this--it's beautiful! I didn't understand the BOTW comparisons before I started playing, but I get it now.

The physics in the game can lead to some fun emergent situations. We don't have the tools to chop up birch trees, so we cut down beech trees and roll the trunks into the birch over and over until they collapse. Takes a little while but it's nice to have access to more wood!

It would be nice to be able to build or set up traps.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm loving this game, got two friends to buy and am working on getting a full 10 person server going. Fighting trolls in the foggy forest at night while frantically mining copper ore was so intense. Ah I just want to play now but I can't!

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
The newest driver is installed.

I read about a great tip that says:

And it indeed improves the FPS a lot. But I have the problem now that the screen or FPS skip every few seconds so heavenly that it's unplayable. Anyone with an idea what could cause this?

That fixed my constant stuttering on my 3070!

Thanks for the tip. I knew it was some crazy Unity engine quirk that was doing it.

I can run everything on high at 1440p now.

There still is a lot of stutter, but it's all streaming and weird unoptimized code stuff that will most likely be ironed out through early access.

The stutter I had before was crazy... every 2-3 seconds it would drop to 40 when even just rotating the camera

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Of course, this is the only game I have trouble streaming to my laptop via Steam! I just want to play in the living room, dammit.

Fantastic game--really loving it so far.

Having no cost to repair is a great move, although it does make me wonder why even have tool/weapon wear-n-tear if repairs are just button clicks with no other impact to the gameplay or ecosystem. Not that I want a cost to repairs but--why not just remove that element if it's barely a mechanic?

Regardless, removing barriers like this encourages the player to try more and do more, which feels really fresh. The game has such a calm kind of demeanor to it. The music is a big part of this--it's beautiful! I didn't understand the BOTW comparisons before I started playing, but I get it now.

The physics in the game can lead to some fun emergent situations. We don't have the tools to chop up birch trees, so we cut down beech trees and roll the trunks into the birch over and over until they collapse. Takes a little while but it's nice to have access to more wood!

It would be nice to be able to build or set up traps.

Once youstart mining veins you'll understand why the wear is in there.

You also need upgraded benches to repair higher end gear so you'll need to build up your outposts more.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
is the game latency sensitive? would co-op be possible with ~250ms latency?

I had pretty bad lag in combat once, wasn't fun.

It's not like it's a twitchy action game though, it's kinda like lagging in an MMO. Solid chance to survive at least.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Been enjoying it so far. Having trouble finding more of the
Surtling Cores
. Found one Burial Chamber and got 5 of them so I have my smelter going, but need 5 more for the kiln. All the other caves I've found so far are Troll lairs. At least I have a full set of Troll armor now :P

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Beat the first boss. Felt good.
Now I can finally loot stones.

I have to find the other bosses right? I can't mark them automatically to my map like the first?

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I made my first bronze item last night, so nice to be able to chop down any tree I see.

Stellar Drift

Jan 6, 2018
Just picked this up and have no friends on PC. Love these sorts of games. Anyone want to invite a late-20's EST based dude to their server?

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Would probably need multiple servers seeing how max concurrent players is 10

Sure, but the good thing is once one person goes offline another one can join it, just 10 concurrent doesn't mean 10 in total and there will be more than enough times where it won't be completely full, like our Minecraft server here (if this one is even still a thing anymore, idk 😅).
2 would be a good start I think. 🤔