• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017

XMuHvRL.gif

i9AXAxH.jpg

qIJDnEU.jpg

x9WmICT.jpg

JpvsnPs.jpg

Last edited:

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
It caught my eye the other day, but I need to see more impressions on it to know for sure.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I said i wasn't going to buy another EA survival game......but

OP
OP
CountAntonio

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
It caught my eye the other day, but I need to see more impressions on it to know for sure.
Obviously it's the honeymoon phase and people have yet to get to "endgame" but the reception has been overwhelmingly positive going by steam reviews, Twitch and reddit and from I've played I can say it seems like something special compared to the others I've played. Also nice they got picked up by a great puiblisher.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Obviously it's the honeymoon phase and people have yet to get to "endgame" but the reception has been overwhelmingly positive going by steam reviews, Twitch and reddit and from I've played I can say it seems like something special compared to the others I've played. Also nice they got picked up by a great puiblisher.
How Early is the Early Access is it?

OP
OP
CountAntonio

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017

How Early is the Early Access is it?
Their Post below. But from playing it is fairly polished and very playable with what seems like a lot to do. Haven't ran into any bugs either. The only question is how long the content will last and if there is something to do once you defeat the last Boss. But as it stands it's already a well made game that's doesn't feel like a broken mess that will be fun "one day". It does need some optimization though.

"Most planned core features of the game have been implemented. Single-player and multiplayer modes are fully functional and we have a separate dedicated server tool if you want a server running 24/7. There are currently five fully developed biomes out of a planned total of nine. There are about 280 different items (weapons, materials, armor etc) in the game, to be found or crafted by the player. We have around 120 building pieces, and about 35 different types of creatures including monsters, animals and bosses.

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
Steam

Just launched in Early Access and is already a top seller without blowing up on twitch but I think that's happening soon as well.

It's a very well made Viking Themed survival game with fun melee combat a cool retro/modern look and an actual objective besides survival. You are tasked by Odin to kill World bosses. The way this is done is that every biome has it's own boss. You craft, build and gear up in order to take them on. Once they do they give you the means to build better gear and progress to the next biome which has another boss etc. It's not an MMO but more of a co op game. Servers can host up to ten people and can be either dedicated servers or p2p. The game has a beautiful low poly look combined with fancy lighting and shaders making it very unique. The gameplay is based around stamina management for blocking, attacks and rolling. Def gives a Dark Souls lite feel and by far the best combat I've played in a survival game. Anyone else try this out yet?

Features
  • Huge procedurally-generated world - explore and inhabit mystical lands, from mysteriousforests to imposing snow-topped mountain ranges and stunning meadows, complete with their own creatures of legend to battle and wildlife to hunt.
  • Co-op PvE (2-10 players) - - Whether you want to brave the lands alone or venture with trusted allies, Valheim supports independent, player-hosted servers and unlimited world creation. We recommend playing co-op with 3-5 players.
  • Punishing dodge & block based combat system with a wide range of weapons
  • Build & sail ships - from flimsy rafts to imposing warships, build legendary vessels to conquer the seas and discover new lands.
  • Summon and defeat vengeful primordial bosses of myth and legend, and collect trophies to progress and craft new powerful items
  • Flexible house and base building system - raise mead halls, farms, settlements outposts, castles and more.
  • Intuitive item crafting - forge the finest weapons and armour, and craft food and mead.
  • Dedicated server- for players who want to run a persistent server. If you prefer not to run a server on your PC, consider renting a server at G-Portal.
EtOzb8NXcAEtFDn

The best big survival game or not the best big survival game.

Surpassing ELEX is the answer...

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I picked this up last night and while it seems pretty interesting, the performance is absolutely horrible on my i7 / 3070 combo

I had to drop it down to 1080p and reduced particle lighting to medium and it still regularly dips into the 40s while playing.

Morten88

Dec 22, 2019
ive had this game on wishlist for a long time now, im glad its getting good reviews and alot of players! Will probably buy it this weekend, when i have more time to play.

OP
OP
CountAntonio

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
GREAT!

The only problem with this game, as far as I'm concerned, is that it's still in Early Access and I'm done with games that I want to play being in Early Access.

When does this come out?
Yeah I know that feeling. I've been burned many times before lol. It's expected to stay early access for about a year depending on community feedback and additions.

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
Yeah I know that feeling. I've been burned many times before lol. It's expected to stay early access for about a year depending on community feedback and additions.
Good. A "year" is better than "until it's ready"

Translation: We're stuck in development hell and we don't know what to do with this game and, eff it, we'll just take our sweet time while you give us money through Kickstarter or some shit.

Soul Lab

Nov 17, 2017
Interesting. Coffee Stain seems to have a good nose for coop games. Deep Rock Galactic is fantastic too

OP
OP
CountAntonio

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Good. A "year" is better than "until it's ready"

Translation: We're stuck in development hell and we don't know what to do with this game and, eff it, we'll just take our sweet time while you give us money through Kickstarter or some shit.
Yeah at the very least this game seems to have a good direction. It's not an MMO where "endgame" is greifing and raiding other people's bases. It's a challenging co op game where you just gear up and move on to harder biomes and bosses. Given they already know what they are going far I'd imagine it's easier for them too add more content and never be lost in the sea of "what are we trying to make this game into" like so many early access titles. It already has it's identity.

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
Yeah at the very least this game seems to have a good direction. It's not an MMO where "endgame" is greifing and raiding other people's bases. It's a challenging co op game where you just gear up and move on to harder biomes and bosses. Given they already know what they are going far I'd imagine it's easier for them too add more content and never be lost in the sea of "what are we trying to make this game into" like so many early access titles. It already has it's identity.
Agreed. The concept of "structure" is something that seems lost on Early Access games; otherwise, you get individualistic claptrap about how they need as much "creative freedom" as possible. Enough already.

Bucca

Oct 25, 2017
So is the game solely coop focused or can you get pvp'd/grieved by others?

Bucca

Oct 25, 2017
Only ten players per server. It's PvE focused. You can turn on PvP in your personal setting but that only allows you to take damage from players not you damaging them. It's co-op focused for sure.

Damn, I'm in just for this. Always wanted to get into Rust and the like but PvP/griefers kills it for me.

Oct 28, 2017
It's good. I've been using and xbox one pad.
Thanks!

I've watched some videos, it seems there is no magic/spells in this game?

Skills are raised by "using them" instead of xp/leveling... not sure how I feel about that. Usually such a system doesn't work that well, imo (cue jumping a thousand times in Morrowind to raise jumping from pathetic levels...). Also it seems there will be no different "character builds" or something similar. Everyone is kind of a melee fighter.

pink

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
glad theres a thread here

i just started last night

really enjoying it :)

OP
OP
CountAntonio

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Popularity still growing. 23k Concurrent player count on Steam, nearly 40k views on stream and still very positive word of mouth.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Would love more strictly co-op games like this. I'm tired of everything needing a PVP element.

OP
OP
CountAntonio

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Is there loot? Like, what are the upgrades for weapons and such.
Progression is done in a really clever way. Defeating the biome boss drops something that enables you to access new materials for building better weapons, armor etc which makes you strong enough to take on the new biome and works you way towards that boss etc. The game is massive and many streamers who have been playing non stop are either still on the first or second biome and have unlocked a very small percentage of the map.

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
Weird question, but does the game have any UI/HUD options? Like a way to remove the floating health bars above enemies for example?