• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Found this amazing shortcut. It's a rock filled narrow river that is pretty fun to navigate and cuts my sailing time by a large amount. Only problem is that a small part of the shortcut goes through Plains biome. Since the river is so narrow I sometimes attract a Deathsquito or two that chases me until it destroys my boat and kills me.

Any tips for dealing with the Deathsquitos or avoiding them?

i mean, u can't really "avoid" them except for sneaking. my suggestion is dont "run" through plains or rather, run sparingly, so you always have stamina. best way to kill the mosquitos I found is shoot them when they are headed right for you. They typically head right for you, and if they hit or miss, they will circle around you and then head for you again. start aiming as its headed for you (So you dont kill stam) and then shoot it when its right in your face

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Deathsquitoes are pretty easy if you have a strong shield or good timing. You can let it hit your shield (which seems to stun it), then kill it with one hit. Or just hit it before it reaches you.

ewn

Feb 17, 2021
A galaxy far far away
Wonderful game, about 100 hours of content.
I do hope mod support gets added/picks up, would be a shame to see a lack of mods.
The graphics are also beautiful, screenshots don't do it justice.
Recommended!
Finally a game like no mans sky or Minecraft. rust and ark did not do it for me.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Oh damn I forgot about the island I found with barnacles. Gotta go back to that

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wonderful game, about 100 hours of content.
I do hope mod support gets added/picks up, would be a shame to see a lack of mods.
The graphics are also beautiful, screenshots don't do it justice.
Recommended!
Finally a game like no mans sky or Minecraft. rust and ark did not do it for me.
Mods could carry this game very far. It's unity. So fingers crossed, as it'll depend on their structure, but unity is quite easy to work with.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Boss 2 The Elder down. Fire works good against wood creatures. Especially dropping fire pits all around.

Oct 25, 2017
Question about the "The forest is moving" event:

Is there any way to keep enemies from spawning in your base during this? I have an unbroken wall surrounding my base, but enemies were basically spawning on the opposite sides of buildings from me inside the walls. I built in a field that's surrounded by trees on three sides, next to the ocean.

Nov 29, 2018
Question about the "The forest is moving" event:

Is there any way to keep enemies from spawning in your base during this? I have an unbroken wall surrounding my base, but enemies were basically spawning on the opposite sides of buildings from me inside the walls. I built in a field that's surrounded by trees on three sides, next to the ocean.
Weird, I'm pretty sure player-built objects are supposed to deter spawns within a certain area. Is there a big empty zone within your wall or something?

Oct 25, 2017
Weird, I'm pretty sure player-built objects are supposed to deter spawns within a certain area. Is there a big empty zone within your wall or something?

Here's an overhead shot of my base:

5262E8F4DE84660498CBC0389137B244B8C16C1E

Doesn't seem like anything too crazy in terms of open space?

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that doesn't seem overly large to me.
I made a similar base in the Black Forest also adjacent to water. I did end up walling off the water but mostly because enemies would swim around and get in, not spawn inside.

Yeah I did have a few swim around as well, most were spawning between the back of the house and the stone wall. Maybe I need to chop back some trees? No idea. I'll fiddle around with things and see what happens.

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Our Nitrado Server has such huge lag problems..

Seems to be a problem on their side according to a forum post on their side. But no actions taken yet.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Here's an overhead shot of my base:

5262E8F4DE84660498CBC0389137B244B8C16C1E

Doesn't seem like anything too crazy in terms of open space?
Maybe just build a cheap fence across the open side, those are pretty good at stopping small enemies and you can get over them with a running jump. I have my base fenced in, so far it kept everything out and let me enter and exit easily.
I think the shallow waters also allow spawns and of course enemies are willing to swim to get to places.
I hate the bonemass. Pure evil, but we got 'em eventually. Took us some strategy which is cool, I like it! Wolves suck tho....
Interesting, besides getting a weapon that can hurt it I didn't find that one to be much of an issue (as long as you use poison resist but you don't want to go into the swamp without poison resist anyway). The constant rain makes health and stamina regeneration an issue (unlocking crypts and placing campfires inside to recover might help, I stashed my key before fighting it) but the adds are practically harmless and its punches aren't that strong either. I would usually take off a fifth of its HP just wailing at it before the poison would leave me at low HP so I'd have to back off and heal or die and respawn. My parries weren't strong enough to stagger it though, maybe a stronger parry would be even more effective.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
When my friends and I beat Moder, a huge boulder suddenly spawned right where we fought it and we all got stuck inside it. Like, a mountain sized boulder. We had to dig through it but at least it broke away in huge chunks.
That happen to anyone else?

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
When my friends and I beat Moder, a huge boulder suddenly spawned right where we fought it and we all got stuck inside it. Like, a mountain sized boulder. We had to dig through it but at least it broke away in huge chunks.
That happen to anyone else?
Nope, you are special lol

Shifty Capone

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Beat the game with friends. Man was it a good time. Even have portals to the ashlands and deep north. So so much fun.

To everyone running servers, get Valheim Plus from Nexus Mods or Gitbub. Shared map explore is so amazing.

datwr

Nov 5, 2017
After the latest update our group started to have desync issues we didnt have before, but it was hilarious when we fought Moder. She was rubberbanding like crazy, we were literally trying to anticipate where she actually was and shooting ahead of her hoping to hit her :D
But it probably actually help us in the end, we took her down easily, some of us didnt even get hit.

GoodGamerGuy

Nov 15, 2017
Any tips on making bases? I don't understand how you can make roofs and stuff nicely since you need to actually go on top of the structure, also not sure how to make nice circular towers because flooring and wood etc makes it very tough.

Also, we only beat the first boss, have quite a nice base going on as theres like 9 of us, and just wondering is there still a lot to see and do or have we seen most of the game? We have ventured to the black forest and thats it. Is there much more items and things to see?

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Any tips on making bases? I don't understand how you can make roofs and stuff nicely since you need to actually go on top of the structure, also not sure how to make nice circular towers because flooring and wood etc makes it very tough.

Also, we only beat the first boss, have quite a nice base going on as theres like 9 of us, and just wondering is there still a lot to see and do or have we seen most of the game? We have ventured to the black forest and thats it. Is there much more items and things to see?
You've barely seen anything. There are five bosses with corresponding biomes in an ascending order of difficulty. The first biome and boss are mostly harmless.

I usually build my roofs from the ground, it's often enough to get it to snap to the right spot but then again I don't build my houses that tall. Climbing on a table works to let you build one additional layer, if that won't work then you'll have to set up some form of scaffold.

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Whats the best place to get a dedicated server? Me and two friends are looking at getting one as play at different times sometimes.

RustyNails

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Are most of you guys playing solo or co-op?

I would like to play co-op. Is it fine to jump in rando servers?

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
Man this game is so addictive. I spent over 12hrs just building a base. I really like the building mechanics in this game. Sadly I made a massive base for myself because I have no friends to play with...

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
Solo'd the second boss. Now i gotta spend hours finding the swamp area. After 30 hours I havent even seen a glimpse of it.

Mar 29, 2018
Yes. Probably the best thing about the game is that the first biome (meadows) is extremely light on content, even though it still feels OK. Once you have the gear to go into other biomes, suddenly all the possibilities and systems open up. It's fantastic exploring this with friends (although it can also be very timeconsuming with nasty down periods).

Oct 25, 2017
How do you take these free roaming camera shots?

-Hit f5 to open the console
-type "imacheater" without quotes to enter cheat mode
-type "freefly" to enter the camera mode

Then type those commands again to leave those modes.

Maybe just build a cheap fence across the open side, those are pretty good at stopping small enemies and you can get over them with a running jump. I have my base fenced in, so far it kept everything out and let me enter and exit easily.
I think the shallow waters also allow spawns and of course enemies are willing to swim to get to places.

Yeah maybe I need to fence the water side as well then to stop the base spawning.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Yes. Probably the best thing about the game is that the first biome (meadows) is extremely light on content, even though it still feels OK. Once you have the gear to go into other biomes, suddenly all the possibilities and systems open up. It's fantastic exploring this with friends (although it can also be very timeconsuming with nasty down periods).

Are you supposed to move your base camp out of the Meadows after you gear up or just use portals to jump around with some secondary bases scattered throughout?

Also, I just found out that seed jumping is a thing. On Reddit someone posted "the perfect seed". I used it to find and kill the second boss.
old.reddit.com

we did it boys, we found the best seed

Posted in r/valheim by u/InfernoFPS • 2,807 points and 352 comments

Seed: HHcLC5acQt
Potential speed runner seed. Seed with all bosses close to spawn. Nearby trader. All biomes on huge starter continent. 5th boss a raft skip away. 4 runes on starter island.

Map
kv5ai2pp34i61.png

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019

I just build a ladder to the roof, do the roof, then break up the ladder.

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
One thing I find..."inconvenient" is not being able to take ore/bars through portals. So I have my whole second base decked out with all my forging stuff, but I (stupidly) built it in a pretty inaccessible place. I want to move my forge-works to a new, third base by the shore. Did you guys do this? Is my only option to rebuild it all? I think I know the answer but...ugh.

Denzos

Jun 27, 2018
One thing I find..."inconvenient" is not being able to take ore/bars through portals. So I have my whole second base decked out with all my forging stuff, but I (stupidly) built it in a pretty inaccessible place. I want to move my forge-works to a new, third base by the shore. Did you guys do this? Is my only option to rebuild it all? I think I know the answer but...ugh.

I didn't like this design choice at first, but later started to appreciate it. I have multiple outposts and portals now. The base/ outpost building is quite enjoyable and carting/sailing all the ores from all corners of the map to my main base has become cathartic.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You can cheat by logging into another game world with forges, so have a different world setup basically as you'll have a different spawn area, then just hop back into your game after you're done smelting and making whatever , but I think it's part of the decision that I appreciate. It's all part of the adventure figuring out how to transit ore in the world/risks etc.

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
You can cheat by logging into another game world with forges, so have a different world setup basically as you'll have a different spawn area, then just hop back into your game after you're done smelting and making whatever , but I think it's part of the decision that I appreciate. It's all part of the adventure figuring out how to transit ore in the world/risks etc.
Yeah - I probably won't cheat it, that would probably break the immersion too much for me. But I've come to feel that transporting stuff by boat is easier than by cart, depending on location etc. Especially since tin is generally on the shorelines.

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
Having serious performance issues, the game won't go above 25fps in the beginning area of the game.

rx 6800
3900x
32gb

Baffling

medyej

Oct 26, 2017

You can build a road so you can use a cart to take ore around. It's still more time consuming than Portaling obviously but it's kind of nice to have that option. Just use your Hoe tool while dragging a cart and flatten earth in front of you as you walk with it.

Fizzgig

Oct 30, 2017
I've been thinking of renting a server as I feel like this would be a lot more fun playing with others. Would anyone be interested in joining if I was to set one up? I'm happy to pay for it, but would probably need help running it. I'm based in the UK so this would preferably be for those in a similar time-zone due to the hours I can play, however open to anyone interested. Let me know and if there's enough interest I'll get one sorted. I can create a new Discord server also.

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
You can build a road so you can use a cart to take ore around. It's still more time consuming than Portaling obviously but it's kind of nice to have that option. Just use your Hoe tool while dragging a cart and flatten earth in front of you as you walk with it.
Cool. Part of my problem is the areas (in a very wide radius) around my forge base is such that all of the tin is down very steep, high hills. That's my main issue really :D

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Where is the fun in that ?
At this point why not use a cheat engine to get all the end game items ?

The only thing it did was put the second boss in a closer location so I didn't have to traverse the entire world to get to it. It was a minor time saver. I still had to kill the damn thing. Whether or not something is a "cheat" is subjective. I don't view seed jumping as cheating. Some might. That's fine.