• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vommy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Found this amazing shortcut. It's a rock filled narrow river that is pretty fun to navigate and cuts my sailing time by a large amount. Only problem is that a small part of the shortcut goes through Plains biome. Since the river is so narrow I sometimes attract a Deathsquito or two that chases me until it destroys my boat and kills me.

Any tips for dealing with the Deathsquitos or avoiding them?
Depending on your defence you can surivive multiple hits. Best case would be hitting them with an arrow before they reach you. Or you block their attack with a shield and hit them directly afterwards. They don't have a lot of Hitpoints.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I can imagine loads of ways how this game could evolve further and further - I'm really excited for the updates. Hopefully they'll be able to get at least the next biome into the existing worlds with having to reset everything hard.

Imagine some very light form of Monster Hunter added to this where there are bosses roaming certain biomes (but like the merchant, they're not everywhere, just in one or two) and you could hunt them for some legendary loot/crafting ingredients.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I can imagine loads of ways how this game could evolve further and further - I'm really excited for the updates. Hopefully they'll be able to get at least the next biome into the existing worlds with having to reset everything hard.

I hope they will some day either extend the world map or make it infinite like on Minecraft.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany

Imagine some very light form of Monster Hunter added to this where there are bosses roaming certain biomes (but like the merchant, they're not everywhere, just in one or two) and you could hunt them for some legendary loot/crafting ingredients.
3 biomes at least are already in every generated world, they just have no content in them.
You can find them right now.

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Depending on your defence you can surivive multiple hits. Best case would be hitting them with an arrow before they reach you. Or you block their attack with a shield and hit them directly afterwards. They don't have a lot of Hitpoints.
Thanks for the tips. I always try to outrun them but seems like I just need to toughen up and fight.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Thanks for the tips. I always try to outrun them but seems like I just need to toughen up and fight.
Deathsquitos barely have any help. I one shot killed one with a flint spear.
They can be quite easily parried as they fly at you in a straight line but you need a good shield with enough parry force for it.
The best thing to do if you can't parry them yet or can't shoot them with a bow, is to stand there, block with shield and immediately hit them after the block.
You DO need a shield with enough blockpower not to be thrown back by the impact though XD

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Deathsquitos barely have any help. I one shot killed one with a flint spear.
They can be quite easily parried as they fly at you in a straight line but you need a good shield with enough parry force for it.
The best thing to do if you can't parry them yet or can't shoot them with a bow, is to stand there, block with shield and immediately hit them after the block.
You DO need a shield with enough blockpower not to be thrown back by the impact though XD
Well time to start using shield I guess. Have gone through the whole game (past the second boss) without using one mainly for the free inventory space.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Your boat does collision damage to enemies it runs into BTW, one of the deathsquitos that attacked my longship smacked into the main mast and died.

Oct 28, 2017
Your boat does collision damage to enemies it runs into BTW, one of the deathsquitos that attacked my longship smacked into the main mast and died.
Yeah, that's how I survived my first encounter with one.

I was sailing around to explore and came to some plains coast. I saw the mosquito and was like "oh better get away before it notices m-"
My boat was getting wrecked (by a mosquito, think about that for a moment...) and I already was seeing myself in the water, dead, when it got run over by the boat.
That's how I lived to see another day...

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I hope they will some day either extend the world map or make it infinite like on Minecraft.

I dunno, a hard to get to "end/edge of the world" is something that has an appeal to me.
If there was an end portal though that would portal you into a fresh seed or DLC, that would be great too.

3 biomes at least are already in every generated world, they just have no content in them.
You can find them right now.

Oh, 3 already? I only knew about one. That sounds pretty good then for the longevity of our map.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I dunno, a hard to get to "end/edge of the world" is something that has an appeal to me.
If there was an end portal though that would portal you into a fresh seed or DLC, that would be great too.

Oh, 3 already? I only knew about one. That sounds pretty good then for the longevity of our map.
Yes, basically the game has 9 biomes. Ocean counts as one too. All biomes are already in the game so all worlds are already generated with those biomes.
it's just that 4 of the biomes (including ocean) have no content in them and will be expanded during the EA.
Now I can see it needing a new generation to add that content, but we'll see.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Is level 2 bronze armour with fine bow and bronze axe strong enough for second boss?
Yes, I've seen a streamer (who's not a super gamer or anything) beat it in one go with troll armor and I don't think he even had a fine bow. The important part is getting your dodge roll timing down. I tried with shield parries but that just made me die a lot.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Just beat Eikthyr on solo. I do feel like I'm ready to coop but it's hard to do that with randos. Wish my friends had the game.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017

kris.

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, basically the game has 9 biomes. Ocean counts as one too. All biomes are already in the game so all worlds are already generated with those biomes.
it's just that 4 of the biomes (including ocean) have no content in them and will be expanded during the EA.

tell that to the sea serpent that ate me and destroyed my boat.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Wow, if they really have been future oriented enough to pull this off without having to generate new worlds, that would prove incredibly foresight from them.

I'm looking forward to their next communication and whatever they decide to do now that they are a huge hit.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Wow, if they really have been future oriented enough to pull this off without having to generate new worlds, that would prove incredibly foresight from them.

I'm looking forward to their next communication and whatever they decide to do now that they are a huge hit.
Here is a random totally uncovered map. I will spoiler it in case people don't want to see what a map looks like:
valheim%20map%20explored.jpg

And here is a full list of all biomes, courtesy of Rock Paper Shotgun:
Below is the full list of biomes currently in Valheim:

• Meadows - Starting and least dangerous biome. Grass and forest.
  • Black Forest - Denser and more dangerous forest, home to copper, tin, and other useful resources.
  • Mountains - Cold, snow-capped mountains, home to wolves, drakes, and golems.
  • Plains - Warm, fairly treeless biome. Home to Fulings.
  • Swamp - Dark and dangerous biomes, home to Iron Ore, Surtlings, Sunken Crypts, and Fire Geysers.
  • Ocean - fairly wet area, comprised of approximately twice as much hydrogen as oxygen. Home to Serpents.
  • Mistlands - Rare forest biome filled with cobwebs. Currently empty of creatures.
  • Deep North - The top area of the Valheim map. Lots of snow. Currently empty of creatures.
  • Ashlands - The bottom area of the Valheim map. Hazy barren wasteland. Home to Surtlings.

kris.

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's one single enemy. the proper ocean content gets added later on according to the roadmap

still an enemy! a very scary enemy that makes me extremely nervous to be out on open waters!

i'm being facetious, you're totally right and i hope they do flesh out the ocean a little more

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Me: We can probably get the cart loaded with ore on the small raft right?
Friend: let's do it!
Me: We are listing to the side a bit but we should be good. Don't let go.
Friend: Lets go of the cart...
Cart plummets in the water and we spend the next couple minutes with one of us using the boat to push it and the other swimming behind it to get it back to shore haha. Hilarious random things happen in this game.

DanteRavenkin

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Last night I carved my own canal across a small tract of land just so I could get my karve from one ocean to another. I couldn't believe it worked, this game is amazing.

OP
OP
CountAntonio

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Starting to get endgame gear. This hammer is incredible.
Vikcount.png

Made a few small changes since I made this but here is my main base. Managed to keep things hidden pretty good. Most chests are tucked in corners and I built a basement underneath that houses most forge and workshop upgrades that tend to just look ugly.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
I swear that I read on some site that Furling Shamans are always supposed to drop Totems. I've found two and killed two so far and have yet to get one.

On the plus side, I now have max armor. Just trying to get a new bow and upgrade my shield/sword now.

Also I found a spot in the plains that I might want to make my new base. It's got a small inlet from the ocean!
sxkC7ve.png

Last edited:

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017
We beat boss 3 tonight, had to trek across the plains to reach it. Fight was really fun, but hell, did we have a rough time actually getting there. We had to open two sets of gates to eventually get there and we had several casualties, especially going through plains lol.

What kind of armor and weps did you have in general?

OP
OP
CountAntonio

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
I swear that I read on some site that Furling Shamans are always supposed to drop Totems. I've found two and killed two so far and have yet to get one.

On the plus side, I now have max armor. Just trying to get a new bow and upgrade my shield/sword now.

Also I found a spot in the plains that I might want to make my new base. It's got a small inlet from the ocean!
I need to find a camp for flax. I want black steel items!

OP
OP
CountAntonio

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Right now I just have a little hut with a bunch of cultivated ground in the middle of the plains. Just planting flax and barley and then replanting and using the extra to make thread and flour.
Yeah I just haven't found any flax yet. My plains haven't had any of those camps where they grow.
In the end I made a raft and spent a really long time slowly sailing back to the spot. Got my stuff back :)
Those are the best adventures.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
I like Vikings, and I love co-op games, but hate survival/crafting.

Is this game not for me?

If you have friends to play with I'd say give it a try. It does away with a lot of the tedium of survival/crafting games and feels like you're almost always making progress. I bounced off of most other survival games but this one got its hooks in me. That said I can't predict how you'll feel about it.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
I like Vikings, and I love co-op games, but hate survival/crafting.

Is this game not for me?
It's Viking/Norse-themed, sure, but there's a fair amount of crafting (I'd say a little light on 'survival', but it does have that element). Might be better with friends for you in that case.

Bardeh

Jun 15, 2018
Yeah, I've bounced hard off every other survival game I've played and love Valheim, but a not insignificant amount of your playtime is going to be spent grinding up resources. There's always a goal in mind that will progress you, though, which makes it more palatable.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Alright got my padded armor, blackmetal shield and sword, and porcupine maxed out. Just gotta make and max a Draugr Bow (and mabye the axe/spear thingy, aegir?) then try to figure out where the hell the items are for the last boss.

DjRalford

Dec 14, 2017
I used to love playing don't starve when it first came out, this seems like a simpler 3D version set in Norse mythology.

My sister recommended I give it a go, that was 2 days ago and I think over put in about 14hrs so far.

wanted to take it slow and fully scout the meadows, build a nice house with some storage, etc etc, I thought that by not going for the first boss yet I wouldn't have any attacks on my base, but alas it happened anyway as the forest moved against me.

It's cool though it was only some boars and lizard things, are the base events limited to what section you're on boss wise?

Or could I still get the troll one even without progressing past the first boss?

Edit - I mean simpler as in food don't spoil, you can't die from hunger, you respawn regardless etc, I get that it has souls like bits too.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I used to love playing don't starve when it first came out, this seems like a simpler 3D version set in Norse mythology.

My sister recommended I give it a go, that was 2 days ago and I think over put in about 14hrs so far.

wanted to take it slow and fully scout the meadows, build a nice house with some storage, etc etc, I thought that by not going for the first boss yet I wouldn't have any attacks on my base, but alas it happened anyway as the forest moved against me.

It's cool though it was only some boars and lizard things, are the base events limited to what section you're on boss wise?

Or could I still get the troll one even without progressing past the first boss?

Edit - I mean simpler as in food don't spoil, you can't die from hunger, you respawn regardless etc, I get that it has souls like bits too.
The more bosses you kill, the more different siege events there are.
Also which biomes you are in/close to can make a difference as well.