• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
6RFk43L.jpg

Feels good to return to the fortress after an adventure
Very nice. Love the hillside build. Do you have enemies that spawn with in that outside fence?

Last edited:

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
New Update, here are the patch notes. Seems like they have been working on some of the save corruption issues.

• Disable google analytics
  • Updated Unity engine
  • Forest crypt fixes
  • Credits updated
  • Save system returned to old-new
  • Pickables sync fix (stones,carrots etc)
  • Dedicated server CPU usage fix (Framerate limiter)
  • Hearth smoke building fix
  • Save system tweaks
  • Console "save" function can be used remotely if player is added to admin list
  • Autosave every 20min (instead of 30min)
  • Manual join IP function (dedicated servers only)
  • Extra tombstone checks ( to prevent them from disappearing )
  • Better broken world handling ( crash/exit instead of loading an empty world )
  • Localization fixes

Piercedveil

Oct 25, 2017
Is going for bronze armor over troll hide armor worth it? I noticed the slowness penalty from the bronze armor so I've still been wearing my leveled up troll gear still.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
I think thats a wrap for me and this will be the last time I ever buy an EA game. I usually avoid them until they are finished but really wanted to try this one. My temps are good as far as usage for cpu/gpu, my drivers are up to date and this game keeps freezing up. Screen locks, I can still hear my character move and it sounds as if the game is still running fine but screen is frozen. I wish I could get a refund but I have 5 hours clocked in. Oh well only 20 bucks I guess

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
I think thats a wrap for me and this will be the last time I ever buy an EA game. I usually avoid them until they are finished but really wanted to try this one. My temps are good as far as usage for cpu/gpu, my drivers are up to date and this game keeps freezing up. Screen locks, I can still hear my character move and it sounds as if the game is still running fine but screen is frozen. I wish I could get a refund but I have 5 hours clocked in. Oh well only 20 bucks I guess
Are you playing it in full screen or do you have any overlays on? I had a similar issue and it turns out that the game really doesn't like rivatuner or afterburner. It would freeze up with the first and heavily stutter if the second was running. Reports also suggest that the default windowed mode is also somewhat to blame for the stuttering.

Helmholtz

Feb 24, 2019
Canada
The meadows areas of this game are the closest to Guild Wars pre-searing vibes I've gotten since that game was a thing. Very relaxing to roam around those areas.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Are you playing it in full screen or do you have any overlays on? I had a similar issue and it turns out that the game really doesn't like rivatuner or afterburner. It would freeze up with the first and heavily stutter if the second was running. Reports also suggest that the default windowed mode is also somewhat to blame for the stuttering.

Full screen, I may have the steam overlay on. I turned on afterburner after a few crashes to monitor things as well. I'll try turning them both off tonight and giving it a go again. Worst comes to worst I'll shelve it for a bit until the game is more stable I guess.

OP
OP
CountAntonio

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
From Reddit

This is amazing. These guys tamed wolves and used a harpoon the drag them down to other biomes. They would kill and eat deer and multiplay and before you know it there was packs of tamed wolves roaming around killing all wildlife and greydwarves up to two biomes away.

Vommy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Just killed the 5th boss. What a game. I don't know what it is but something in me always needed to come back to it. The devs deserve every cent.

SoundLad

Oct 30, 2017
After 2 hours, I was not loving this game and considered refunding. After 10 hours, I'm here thanking god I didn't - this game is so much fun and always introducing new elements that are genuinely interesting. Really looking forward to see where this goes.

One small thing, has anyone confirmed if it's possible to die from campfire smoke inside a building? Personally I haven't experienced it, and some of my huts without a chimney get really smoky.

Oct 28, 2017
After 2 hours, I was not loving this game and considered refunding. After 10 hours, I'm here thanking god I didn't - this game is so much fun and always introducing new elements that are genuinely interesting. Really looking forward to see where this goes.

One small thing, has anyone confirmed if it's possible to die from campfire smoke inside a building? Personally I haven't experienced it, and some of my huts without a chimney get really smoky.
Yes, I died once from it.

OP
OP
CountAntonio

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
So yesterday was an adventure. Finally was able to find the location of the third boss and it was very very far. Dropped my friend off at swamp and took the longboat out for a long voyage. So beautiful out there and the music while sailing is amazing. Got to shore and realized I didn't have graydwarf eyes to build a teleporter and Was in a strange empty biome. So had to sail around some more to find some them went back and set up shop only to realize you can't teleport these particular sacrifices to summon the boss....

The journey continues.

This is why this game is so great. Everything turns into some crazy adventure. I can't how many "rescues" we've had as a group to help a friend get his gear back. Always a new story and when we aren't out adventuring we are just building our town, fishing, farming, cooking. It's just all so good.

On Reddit someone modded the server to have you 50 people. As huge as this world is I really would like to see servers with many more people eventually. A true giant community server.

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
Slowly progressing in my game. Me and a friend have gotten iron now but we have yet to kill 3rd boss. Closing in on 50 hrs now and I probably have spent at least half of that tinkering with my base. Building and demolishing as I get tired with the designs. I hope they flesh out the building and crafting in the future. I also wish we could dig out caves. Been impressed by how stable the game is too. Even on a dedicated server there has been no issues at all.

Deleted member 34714

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
The merchant only spawns in Black Forest right? I really think this needs a change. Knowing he has items that help with lugging ores around, it'd be nice to have for me or anyone digging for iron.

Maybe after a certain criteria like boss 2 down and he is free to move out and happens upon you? IDK but I have 0 idea where he is.

OP
OP
CountAntonio

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017

Rytheran

Oct 27, 2017
Just outside Holtburg
The merchant only spawns in Black Forest right? I really think this needs a change. Knowing he has items that help with lugging ores around, it'd be nice to have for me or anyone digging for iron.

Maybe after a certain criteria like boss 2 down and he is free to move out and happens upon you? IDK but I have 0 idea where he is.
Yeah, I think the trader mechanic is a bit trash. You could get unlucky and never encounter him at all. Hopefully it's just a temporary mechanic because it really makes no sense that even fishing is gated behind randomly finding him.

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
The radius on wards is huge btw. I accidentally locked my friend out of his chests by placing a ward in my house. Oops! Also wondering if they protect structures? It lit up everytime a greydwarf hit a wall in its radius.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017

The trader seems to spawn inside about the middle of the map out in each direction about 1/4 of the map from the center.

I built a boat and sailed around that area on two maps and found him inside that radius both times.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a good quick start guide to follow or something? I've never really played a survival / build game before and I have 0 idea what I am doing other than farming wood, picking up stones and berries.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I think the trader mechanic is a bit trash. You could get unlucky and never encounter him at all. Hopefully it's just a temporary mechanic because it really makes no sense that even fishing is gated behind randomly finding him.

i disagree. trader requires exploring...he's not meant to be found early - mid game technically. you can get fish without the rod. (its almost easier actually)

Beatle

Dec 4, 2017
Personally I like the fact he is not always easy to find, it adds and element of excitement when you do, a real treasure hunt of sorts :)

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
I think I feel a bit stuck after 21 hours. I'm going on really long walks around my starting island where I keep encountering just more black forest and more meadows. There are mountains but I can't survive them. I have bronze weapons/tools and troll hide armor. Only killed first boss. Do I have to sail to other islands to progress from here?

OP
OP
CountAntonio

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
I think I feel a bit stuck after 21 hours. I'm going on really long walks around my starting island where I keep encountering just more black forest and more meadows. There are mountains but I can't survive them. I have bronze weapons/tools and troll hide armor. Only killed first boss. Do I have to sail to other islands to progress from here?
Yes. You are missing a biome before you get strong enough to survive the mountains. I can tell you which if you don't care about minor spoilers. Sometimes you need to sail to find the right one.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Have you not found a Vegvesir to the Elder boss in one of the Black Forest dungeons?
You want to find that, go to the Elder, summon and kill him. Then off to the swamps you go!

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
that feeling when you thought you were on the upgrade tab at the forge/workbench then realize you weren't

dammit, time to go get more flax

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
Sailed reaaaaally far...found swamp...wraith destroys my ship and kills me as I got near shore. Hoooo boy. Lost a lot.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A buddy joined our game just go buy stuff from the trader lol. We found him very quick. I was trying to farm some sea serpent meat now that we have the recipe, but I never seem to encounter them anymore

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
Had some fun with the game but it's been nothing but bugs and issues for me and my friend. Trying to get a refund after 15 hours played, I don't like my odds.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Pro tip for when you get to the swamp:

Use the hoe to flatten land as you walk around. It will raise up land from underwater as well, making it a lot easier to get around.

Keep in mind that flatten ground flattens to the height you are currently standing on. So start flattening out from higher ground into the lower level swamp.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
oh man, finally having good head armor finally makes fighting the furlings manageable. They still do an insane amount of damage but at least I'm not getting one shot

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
If you happen to have an unraid server or familiar with docker, there's a gameserver docker for Valheim. Took 2 seconds to setup. I just bought the game yesterday and haven't played much but I'm able to play on the server running on my unraid home server.

this is what i've been using. it works perfectly and auto backs up the world every few hours I believe. just wonderful

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Still looking for a server to join if any era server has room. I've only killed the first boss and working on gearing up for the 2nd.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I found the trader in my world. The icon shows up at considerable distance so you might not even notice that you're close if you're only watching the minimap and not checking the full map regularly (or zoom your minimap out so far that it's almost unusable)

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
We beat boss 3 tonight, had to trek across the plains to reach it. Fight was really fun, but hell, did we have a rough time actually getting there. We had to open two sets of gates to eventually get there and we had several casualties, especially going through plains lol.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
So yesterday was an adventure. Finally was able to find the location of the third boss and it was very very far. Dropped my friend off at swamp and took the longboat out for a long voyage. So beautiful out there and the music while sailing is amazing. Got to shore and realized I didn't have graydwarf eyes to build a teleporter and Was in a strange empty biome. So had to sail around some more to find some them went back and set up shop only to realize you can't teleport these particular sacrifices to summon the boss....
Huh, Bonemass's sacrifices are teleportable. Were you going for the fourth boss by accident or trying to bring the wrong things?

We beat boss 3 tonight, had to trek across the plains to reach it. Fight was really fun, but hell, did we have a rough time actually getting there. We had to open two sets of gates to eventually get there and we had several casualties, especially going through plains lol.
Similar thing here, got killed on my longboat by deathsquitos as I was driving past a plains area and hadn't eaten (because I usually don't eat on boat rides if I don't expect to be landing anywhere soon), had to craft backup armor (troll hide since I have so much of that material) to go close to my death point by land and then set up a portal and raft to cross the ocean between the continent I have my closest portal on and the continent I died near to. Then after crossing set up a fortified portal in a nearby swamp and legged it into the plains. All of that was about half-way to the boss and took a lot of attempts to pull off. Running naked and sprinting past all enemies is a good way to scout by land but falls apart when there's a big body of water in the way...

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Found this amazing shortcut. It's a rock filled narrow river that is pretty fun to navigate and cuts my sailing time by a large amount. Only problem is that a small part of the shortcut goes through Plains biome. Since the river is so narrow I sometimes attract a Deathsquito or two that chases me until it destroys my boat and kills me.

Any tips for dealing with the Deathsquitos or avoiding them?