• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Xyber

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone else with a dedicated server had a lot of trouble with world wipes? I have to restore a backup almost every day. Citadel claims its all Valheim's fault and their lack of good support at this point.

Unfortunately a common problem with servers hosted on Citadel. We cancelled our server with them since we couldn't find a way to fix it.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Yes, Blunt Damage absolutely crushes it.
Also use poison resist mead to make the poison basically useless.
Frozen arrows also do decent ranged damage
Oh I am using that mead, not going anywhere in the swamp without it. Un-resisted poison is brutal.
Blunt working is counterintuitive to me since in many games slime enemies are resistant to blunt force (well, they're big and elastic...).

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Oh I am using that mead, not going anywhere in the swamp without it. Un-resisted poison is brutal.
Blunt working is counterintuitive to me since in many games slime enemies are resistant to blunt force (well, they're big and elastic...).
i think the idea is that if you hit them with a big club you basically splash them everywhere while hitting with them a thin spear or sword just goes through them.,
smashing a slime enemy actually makes a lot of sense.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Make sure to bring a shield. Being able to parry his melee attack lets you get a bunch of swings in. Even with poison resistance I would basically run in, parry, and then attack as much as possible before my stamina ran out, then kite for a bit so my health/stamina can restore.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Make sure to bring a shield. Being able to parry his melee attack lets you get a bunch of swings in. Even with poison resistance I would basically run in, parry, and then attack as much as possible before my stamina ran out, then kite for a bit so my health/stamina can restore.
I'm always shielding. Also I noticed that the Abyssal Harpoon works on bosses so if he's hiding behind too many adds, "get over here!"

Oct 28, 2017
Has anyone else with a dedicated server had a lot of trouble with world wipes? I have to restore a backup almost every day. Citadel claims its all Valheim's fault and their lack of good support at this point.
I'm hosting on my own PC and so far no world wipe in 60 hours.

Had some blocks in my buildings disappear here and there, though.

Oct 28, 2017
I seriously need the Wind Waker in this game, the wind always blows in the opposite direction, I swear!

Also there is always bad weather >.<

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I know it is above the minimum, but does anyone have an idea how this would run on a Intel i7 3930k with a nVidia 690 GTX? Both are quite dated, but it's what I have, now.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
G portal has been fine so far, I have heard others having issues with citadel though.
Unfortunately a common problem with servers hosted on Citadel. We cancelled our server with them since we couldn't find a way to fix it.
I'm hosting on my own PC and so far no world wipe in 60 hours.

Had some blocks in my buildings disappear here and there, though.
Thanks, y'all. I put in another ticket with them, so we'll see how it goes. Glad I just got a month's worth of hosting, may switch if it doesn't improve.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Do the mountains become less frustrating at some point? So far everything is slopes you can only go up by sprinting. And of course my first portal on the mountaintop was destroyed by mobs so I can't get back to my grave until this mead finishes fermenting which takes like two days...

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Do the mountains become less frustrating at some point? So far everything is slopes you can only go up by sprinting. And of course my first portal on the mountaintop was destroyed by mobs so I can't get back to my grave until this mead finishes fermenting which takes like two days...
The mountains stay mountains. But there is like the mountain tops, which are flatter sometimes.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
How did you guys figure out where you wanted your main base? I explored my first island area and am venturing toward the second boss, but have no clue where I want to make the main settlement.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
How did you guys figure out where you waned your main base? I am explored my first island area and venturing toward the second boss, but have no clue where I want to make the main settlement.
We just made a main settlement close by the sacrifial altar and close by the water.
Then we made outposts for the other biomes and linked them with portals.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
How did you guys figure out where you wanted your main base? I explored my first island area and am venturing toward the second boss, but have no clue where I want to make the main settlement.
I only have the one base that's somewhat near the altar in an open Meadows area. I have random portals scattered around the world though, and my base is the hub.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
One of my friends died in the mountains and his tombstone vanished. We scoured the area for an hour. Sucks. Those wolves are the worst.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
I accidentally middle mouse clicked my spear and threw it. So there's that.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
How did you traverse the world with only one hub before you got portals? Just run the whole way?
I don't understand the question, you have to get to an area first before you can portal there.

I bring the mats for a portal with me when I go to new areas, then if I need to stop along the way I drop the portal so I don't have to start over. Then tear down the portal and move on until I reach my destination.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand the question, you have to get to an area first before you can portal there.

I bring the mats for a portal with me when I go to new areas, then if I need to stop along the way I drop the portal so I don't have to start over. Then tear down the portal and move on until I reach my destination.

No. I mean before you unlocked the ability to make portals, were you just always starting from your main area outwards? Just seems like a long way to run with your stuff without another base on the way.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
No. I mean before you unlocked the ability to make portals, were you just always starting from your main area outwards? Just seems like a long way to run with your stuff without another base on the way.
My main island was pretty big, and the first two bosses were pretty close (technically the second one was on a different island but it was close enough to swim to), so yeah, I ran a lot lol.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Really impressed by the quality of the game for an EA. I've seen next to no glitches and considering the scope of what is available so far it's frankly surprising. It definitely feels like Viking Terraria and I love it. Coop works flawlessly and you can't say the same for some AAA releases on steam.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
We had an amazing run tonight with my group of friends. We are all geared up with bronze armor and weapons, so we can clear swamps with ease.

We finally found the merchant and got fishing rods and that piece of equipment that allows you to carry more stuff with you. Also, we found a couple of crypts and managed to farm some iron. The game opened up even more from there, because we got access to many recipes to craft additional gear. We already built a Longboat and it looks beautiful.

The level of accomplishment once you discover new things in this game remains unmatched. Can't wait to sail with our new boat tomorrow, find more crypts and start gearing up to fight the third boss.

Rytheran

Oct 27, 2017
Just outside Holtburg
As someone who is like 30 hours in and still wearing troll leather armor, I was sailing around, exploring some of the nearby islands when I found the Plains biome. Thought it looked really nice and you know, maybe I'd like to build a new base there. I saw some little goblins, took one out with two arrows and thought all was cool, but its friend arrived before I could kill him and took me down to 10 health in a single hit. Not so cool. Would have survived all that, but apparently mosquitos also live in the Plains.

It was certainly an adventure, though.

PapaDev

Oct 26, 2017
They really need to do a better job of explaining the whole red/green/blue support strength when building structures.

Hexnest

Sep 18, 2020
As someone who is like 30 hours in and still wearing troll leather armor, I was sailing around, exploring some of the nearby islands when I found the Plains biome. Thought it looked really nice and you know, maybe I'd like to build a new base there. I saw some little goblins, took one out with two arrows and thought all was cool, but its friend arrived before I could kill him and took me down to 10 health in a single hit. Not so cool. Would have survived all that, but apparently mosquitos also live in the Plains.

It was certainly an adventure, though.

Wow, I just went through a similar experience. I built a Karve and wanted to ride down the shore to see how much I could map. Almost 45 mins into exploring, the wind in my sails died down and it slowed me down enough for a Deathsquito on the shore to catch up to me and take me out in two hits...50 or so damage each time. It would take me at least an hour to get back to the location, so I'm just going to start over inventory wise.

giphy.gif

viotech3

Jul 31, 2020
Maryland
Some specials are super good, just depends - many don't have one early game. Battleaxe gets a low stamina cost stab that does excellent poise damage which lets the main combo wind up, atgeir's special is as mentioned, a crazy good high poise AoE swipe. Hammers don't seem to have any but that's okay. I hear Sword has a good stab but never used. Daggers seems super good for backstabs, like crazy good...... spears is niche but potent especially for stealth - the range helps a looot.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
The spear throw is okay for hunting or hitting things that are below your attack animation. Don't throw it at flying enemies and have it go down the mountain side if you want to keep it but spears are relatively cheap to make.

How did you traverse the world with only one hub before you got portals? Just run the whole way?
You get portals once you have some bronze, depending on your map layout that can be close enough to the starting point for your purposes.
I built my main base on the edge of the black forest island Hugin pointed me to after the first boss, the area counts as meadows so the forest enemies are a bit rarer. After that I had portals available so all other biomes just get portals with walls or basic houses around them.

GhostBanana

Mar 18, 2019
Hamburg
This game is so good. I am obsessed with it. Haven't felt the same sense of exploration and surprise since Breath of the Wild. I usually do not care about spoilers but I am actively avoiding them for Valheim. This game just came out of nowhere and I love it.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
Holy crap! I just had one of the most exhilarating experiences I've ever had in gaming. My friends all logged out for the night so I decided to do some solo exploring

Set sail along the coastlines of all the islands in an attempt to find the merchant. I sailed around for about an hour or two hopping between islands, ran into the Plains and Mountain biomes for the first time, and promptly noped out when a goblin hit my boat for over 90 damage! Grounded myself a few times on small shores just to quickly build a crafting bench and set sail again. Ran into my first sea serpents and actually managed to kill one with my boat at about 10% HP. Decided to give up for the night and saw a shore where the swamp, black forest, and what I thought was the meadows all met, so I started sailing towards the meadows to repair my ship, build a portal, and try again another day.

It was not the Meadows.

As soon as I got remotely close to the shore a mosquito came out of nowhere and wrecked my boat. I started running for my life towards the forest. Luckily a pack of greydwarfs distracted the mosquito so they got murdered instead of me. I opened my map to try to find a safe looking spot to place a portal, and LO AND BEHOLD the merchant was there.

Miracles do happen.

Last edited:

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the plains are tough. Now that I finally have some (fully upgraded) iron armor, I feel mostly OK exploring them, but i gotta avoid those Fuling (goblin) encampments still. The plains are still worth it for that Lox meat though! And the needles, if you are up to killing those Deathsquitos, the arrows you can make are amazing. Used up a ridiculous amount of iron that I'd mined for that armor + a bow and some other things. 60 hours deep, I think it's time to go get the third boss.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah the plains are tough. Now that I finally have some (fully upgraded) iron armor, I feel mostly OK exploring them, but i gotta avoid those Fuling (goblin) encampments still. The plains are still worth it for that Lox meat though! And the needles, if you are up to killing those Deathsquitos, the arrows you can make are amazing. Used up a ridiculous amount of iron that I'd mined for that armor + a bow and some other things. 60 hours deep, I think it's time to go get the third boss.
I'm currently spending time upgrading my wolf armor a ton to tackle it. Even at lv3 upgrades I still get one-shot by the 1-star furlings if I don't parry right.

Also man, I've been getting really lucky finding the boss areas. My first major plains exploration and I found it. I think the swamp was the only one where I had to really go out of my way to get to it.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
anyone else having performance problems when playing Coop?

Yesterday we did the third boss with 6 people. Performance became unplayable in our base once we all were there, fps went down a lot and most stuff became unresponsive. People couldn't open door or get to their stuff anymore.

No idea if that was on the server or on the game. We're on 4netplayers.

The boss itself worked okay again, it was mostly our base that quit.

Oct 28, 2017
Yesterday we did the third boss with 6 people. Performance became unplayable in our base once we all were there, fps went down a lot and most stuff became unresponsive. People couldn't open door or get to their stuff anymore.

No idea if that was on the server or on the game. We're on 4netplayers.

The boss itself worked okay again, it was mostly our base that quit.
Your base was like "peace out! If you don't quit playing, I do!" :D

Regarding performance sometimes I have smooth 60 fps in our base and then suddenly it drops to 40 fps for a while, even though nothing apparent has changed... sometimes I think it's the weather or time of day that has a huge effect on performance idk.

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently spending time upgrading my wolf armor a ton to tackle it. Even at lv3 upgrades I still get one-shot by the 1-star furlings if I don't parry right.

Also man, I've been getting really lucky finding the boss areas. My first major plains exploration and I found it. I think the swamp was the only one where I had to really go out of my way to get to it.
Wow, all of our bosses seem to be getting more and more out of the way and further from our base.
I guess that's what we get in exchange for apparently being lucky and having the trader right there almost from the start. I don't want to know what getting into bronze would be like without my belt!

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Wow, all of our bosses seem to be getting more and more out of the way and further from our base.
I guess that's what we get in exchange for apparently being lucky and having the trader right there almost from the start. I don't want to know what getting into bronze would be like without my belt!
Yeah, my third boss was closer to the map edge than to any part of the map I had explored. Past numerous plains and right behind the mistlands, wherever those sit on the progression curve. I probably died more times on the way (deathsquito ambush while on a boat...) than to the actual boss.

Doctor Doggo

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have any tips on how to use the hoe? I feel like at times I am using it properly, and then other times I'm just like wtf am I doing wrong? I've learned to use the pickaxe/raise ground, to help alleviate some of the issues. It seems like the center line that is in the middle of the circle when you are using it is what determines if you need to level that area?

Also, does anyone have any good base building videos or tips? I've never really been into base building in games, but think I wanna learn. I was messing around for over an hour last night trying to build a big addition to our base, since my friends weren't around, and I was failing miserably.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Does anyone have any tips on how to use the hoe? I feel like at times I am using it properly, and then other times I'm just like wtf am I doing wrong? I've learned to use the pickaxe/raise ground, to help alleviate some of the issues. It seems like the center line that is in the middle of the circle when you are using it is what determines if you need to level that area?

Also, does anyone have any good base building videos or tips? I've never really been into base building in games, but think I wanna learn. I was messing around for over an hour last night trying to build a big addition to our base, since my friends weren't around, and I was failing miserably.
I think it tries to level towards the height your feet are at but has a limit how much it can raise/lower the terrain so some things just cannot be evened out.

Rikster

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Jun 24, 2018
California
Playing with a squad of 3 and just defeated the first boss very cool moment. So far I'm digging the exploration part of the game. Don't care too much for building homes and what not. This game gives me weird Elder Scrolls vibes with friends.