• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Just harpooned a Troll and sent it flying 50 meters toward me. I am now convinced that the Abyssal Harpoon is a comedy item. Doesn't work on fish, doesn't work on dropped items but can pull a giant monster like it's made of paper...

Last edited:

Overture

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Anybody know how to strengthen roofs? I can never seem to get them green, I must be terrible at building lol.
Pillars. Also, something that I noticed while building... if your floor is not connected to the ground (imagine you start building on the ground but as you connect wooden floors a couple stay disconnected from the ground and "floating" in the air, the roof above it will have less strength. I had a roof completely red and would eventually fall even with stuff supporting it, turns out the floor was not connected to the ground and that was the problem, as soon as I raised the ground up to the floor the roof turned yellow. The building was quite tall, so anything smaller shouldn't have any problems even if the ground is not up to the wood floor and a couple of pillars and beams should be enough.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hoo boy, that difficult jump in the Plains :O Luckily we're smart enough to put portals wherever we go AND build a few outposts with beds just in case, but hilarious that our group of 4 (note: 2 are still pretty low level) are running from mosquitoes XD

The squitos aren't even too bad anymore since they fly in a straight line and just have to be timed right. The little goblins are still terrifying, though.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Harpooned a Troll while at sea, that just made him wreck my Karve... So, don't use the harpoon at sea. The ship was loaded with 120 iron scraps, fortunately cargo drops in a floating crate. I used some of my scrap to make a longboat afterwards since I didn't have any bronze left for more nails for a Karve. After that I even managed to recover the nails from the Karve's wreck by jumping off the longboat's higher bits and thus diving a little before swimming.

You can't even harpoon boats to bring them closer to the shore!

viotech3

Jul 31, 2020
Maryland
Let me take you on a journey... a journey of excitement, adventure and tragedy.

I bought the game and got a dedicated server late last week/over the weekend. It was amazing to begin a new game of this scope and scale with friends and we built a place to call home as we geared up to face the first boss. Our first incursions of the Black Forest were tough but we slowly got the hang of it and it helped us get some core wood from Trees and the location of the second boss for once we beat the first. We worked up to Leather Armor by hunting Dear and Boar - which also got us a lot of meat! We also decided to break down our original settlement and make a small little house as we had grand plans for a huge construction project the next day.

We took down the first boss in a flurry of arrows and claimed our trophy! We made pickaxes to start mining and unlocked the first ability with the trophy from the boss. We had marked a ton of tin and copper in the Black Forest previously so we went to mining and then we realized we couldn't use the metals until we smelted it. So we started searching for Skeletons which usually would be around the entrances to dungeons in the Black Forest - this led us to Surtling Cores and we grinded and grinded until we could finally make a Smelter and a Kiln!

Not long after this, we started work on our Grand Hall, the center piece to our village and our home base. it was going to be huge and based on a Viking long house. I spent a ton of time in the rafters of the roof making it both work and look good. I had some assistance from friends too, I wasn't alone - we progressed from a wooden foundation to a huge building. While one of our friends was out cutting down what seemed like entire forests worth of wood for us to build with.

We logged off here for the night (Saturday) - eager to finish the building in the morning (Sunday).
DISASTER STRUCK.
I logged on Sunday morning and the world had reset to 0. It was the same seed but everything was back to day 1. I tried restarting the server, restoring backups... nothing. All progress was lost. The backups were empty and the ftp didn't let me access the world files to check. Needless to say, I was a little pissed after the 15 hours or so we had spent on that world. These images (above) are the only memories we have of the giant creation we were working on :(

Luckily, our characters kept our Bronze weapons/tools but we lost a ton of stuff in chests... not wanting to risk it with that server host again, I started a new server with G-Portal and so far... it has been amazing! We experienced some lag, rubberbanding and some level of weird jank with the first server host which we thought was just a part of the game. However, now we're on G-Portal, it is smooooooth! One big issue we ran into on the first sever was raft/boat damage. We would just place the boat down and it would start taking 10 damage every few seconds. Sailing meant constantly repairing it or it shattering into pieces in the middle of the ocean. On this new G-Portal server, there is none of that! Smooth as butter!

Now starting this new server yesterday (Sunday) meant rebuilding and I was NOT down to build the huge long house from scratch again. So instead I took a little more humble approach with our central crafting/forging/storage building. We'd also all build our own houses nearby and make a connected settlement of sorts... I'm yet to build mine as I spent so long on the main building. ANYWAY, We set sail on this new server after getting set up again and went in search of lands unknown. The Elder. A Swamp. Oh... we found it all. It was an insane trip - we also built our first portals... to have easy access a friendly Dwarf we met on our travels which was a surprise.

Now you're pretty much caught up! We're now smelting up a ton of Copper and Tin to make more Bronze for Armor. We're going to tackle the Elder really soon and I just made myself some Troll Hide armor!

And that is our grand first weekend long story in Valheim! CountAntonius I have finally played after last week saying I hadn't even played yet when I designed the OT. I also have really enjoyed seeing everyone else post their journeys and experiences with the game so far. I'm really surprised by the sheer amount of content and polish the game has at this stage.
Yessssssss I love this stuffff

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Hoo boy, that difficult jump in the Plains :O Luckily we're smart enough to put portals wherever we go AND build a few outposts with beds just in case, but hilarious that our group of 4 (note: 2 are still pretty low level) are running from mosquitoes XD

The squitos aren't even too bad anymore since they fly in a straight line and just have to be timed right. The little goblins are still terrifying, though.
The plains are the last biome to go to though? Me and my friends have been easily running through them with just Iron Armor and by the time you do the plains normally you should have silver armor from the mountains. Like, even in fully upgraded iron armor a mosquito didn't do a lot of damage to me, like 20 maybe? And you can block/parry them with a banded shield and one hit from even a flint spear ( i tried lol) kills them

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
I think my main complaint of the game so far (and it's still a fantastic game overall) is combat on slopes. They really need to address when an enemy is just slightly higher or lower than you, because, for instance, I'm taking on wolves and they can hit me just fine but I whiff and have to drag them to a flat spot.

OP
OP
CountAntonio

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
I think my main complaint of the game so far (and it's still a fantastic game overall) is combat on slopes. They really need to address when an enemy is just slightly higher or lower than you, because, for instance, I'm taking on wolves and they can hit me just fine but I whiff and have to drag them to a flat spot.
Yes. I actually sent them in game feedback about this. It seems like the animations can't be manipulated directionally and that is really needed. The arc of the swing or poke should move based on where you are aiming and right now that just does not happen.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Started the game yesterday with a friend. Really good fun and impressive for an Alpha. Will try to beat the first boss tonight.

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Anybody know how to strengthen roofs? I can never seem to get them green, I must be terrible at building lol.
Had the same problem and found the answer in the comments of a YouTube video:

You can't stack more the 5 things on tops. Length doesn't matter.
5 short pillars are the max, so are 5 long pillars. (edit: this information seems to be wrong)

And check if your floor is connected to the ground. It will be blue if it is.

Last edited:

LetsEatSnacks

Oct 18, 2020
United States
Random question that I can't seem to find an answer to: Is Iron Gate a strictly independent company or are they funded by someone? I got the impression that the Embracer group had a hand in it but wasn't entirely sure.

Also, yes, I am wondering for stock purposes. ;)

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone have a detailed guide to setting up a dedicated server? i did all the port forwarding, but i still cant find my own server when i look online in steam.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like an idiot. How do i break down my extra hammer i built, and how do i break down my basic clothes. All i seem to be able to do is throw them on the ground.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Almost entirely. There are a few small setpieces that remain the same and some dungeons mostly have the same entryway layout but everything else is set by the seed and whatever algorithm they're using.
Cool, I know that is hated. But I like having a new world every run

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Feel like this is one of the major oversights in the game. No way to trash stuff other than throwing it on the ground or in the ocean. Could've just let us chuck stuff in the fire.

Ya, my group is staring at this huge collection of resin that's just getting bigger. Need a trash can!

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The plains are the last biome to go to though? Me and my friends have been easily running through them with just Iron Armor and by the time you do the plains normally you should have silver armor from the mountains. Like, even in fully upgraded iron armor a mosquito didn't do a lot of damage to me, like 20 maybe? And you can block/parry them with a banded shield and one hit from even a flint spear ( i tried lol) kills them
Oh really? I thought it was Plains, then Mountain. How do you effectively get into the mountain without freezing? Just use the cold resistance mead?

deadman322

Oct 29, 2017
Anyone have a detailed guide to setting up a dedicated server? i did all the port forwarding, but i still cant find my own server when i look online in steam.
theres an issue with dedicated servers not always appearing in the server list in game. the fix is to go to the steam client, click 'view' the select servers. the steam server browser will pop up, select the favourites tab at the top and click add server. then enter the ip and query port.

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
theres an issue with dedicated servers not always appearing in the server list in game. the fix is to go to the steam client, click 'view' the select servers. the steam server browser will pop up, select the favourites tab at the top and click add server. then enter the ip and query port.

thanks.

I did this. But on my own pc and the server wasn't showing. I'll have a friend try in a few. I do see a world called Dedicated in my world list now.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Mountain boss down. Oof. That's a rough fight. Had to draw her down to the Black Forest area where the adds were more manageable, and she had a more difficult time moving around all the trees.

On the plus side, the new forsaken power is pretty nice.

Raydonn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Question... What graphics API options does Valheim offer on Windows?
Is it just DirectX 11 or is Vulkan included? Haven't bought it yet, but wanted to know in advance.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just got this but I'm scared to play. I know it's fine solo but still I'm scared, I've never played a game like this

hom3land

Oct 27, 2017

If you happen to have an unraid server or familiar with docker, there's a gameserver docker for Valheim. Took 2 seconds to setup. I just bought the game yesterday and haven't played much but I'm able to play on the server running on my unraid home server.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Friends and I picked up the game on a whim after seeing how popular it was. We ended up playing almost 4.5 hours tonight nonstop on a server.

I don't typically like "survival" games but this is really something special.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Yeah, sometimes it's even hard to hit a log with an axe and my spear absolutely cannot hit the body piles, even though the floor is completely level. For the latter I usually throw the spear in melee range, it's a bit slower but I cannot be bothered to switch to my backup axe and back to the better spear.

It was pretty great, but as a solo player you need a lot of preparation and careful play in the harder areas of the game.

There is lots to do, and can be pretty grindy at times, but the adventure is there!
Also enemy numbers are smaller than in MP so you get more small fights where parrying every attack becomes viable.

Vommy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
After putting 60+ hours into this game I still can't find the location of the 4th boss.

OP
OP
CountAntonio

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Really happy with how this turned out. The area was too great not to build on. It's in the meadows at the foot of a huge mountain region and right nest to The Dark Forest. Going to build a dock eventually and start farming.

10eN0mf.png

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Really happy with how this turned out. The area was too great not to build on. It's in the meadows at the foot of a huge mountain region and right nest to The Dark Forest. Going to build a dock eventually and start farming.

10eN0mf.png
I love the full stone foundation! I'm working on converting a lot of our wooden stuff into stone now (not the buildings) but floor (instead of dirt) and fences are the primary ones to make the switch to begin with. Then I might make a black smith with stone and a port/dock area mixing stone and wood together.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
Whose idea was this?

unknown.png

It freaked me out.

We are trying to find the crypts around the swamps so we can finally gather iron ore. We've been to 4 swamps but nada. No crypt. Just evil and dangerous draugrs. We are also trying to find the merchant, but we have had not luck either. A couple of fishing rods would be perfect.

Fizzgig

Oct 30, 2017
Did some more exploring on my lunch break and found a swamp connected to my mainland, so gonna set up a small base nearby.

Nov 9, 2017
Réunion
I don't know if someone esle has already asked that question, but how do you remap auto-run? There's nothing about it in the settings. I'm using an azerty keyboard and Q for me should be for turning left (after remapping), but in this game it toggles auto-run.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone else with a dedicated server had a lot of trouble with world wipes? I have to restore a backup almost every day. Citadel claims its all Valheim's fault and their lack of good support at this point.

Khezu

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone else with a dedicated server had a lot of trouble with world wipes? I have to restore a backup almost every day. Citadel claims its all Valheim's fault and their lack of good support at this point.
G portal has been fine so far, I have heard others having issues with citadel though.

MrToughPants

Oct 30, 2017
I was unsure if my pc would run this but I get a surprisingly good frame rate at 1080p with medium settings (gtx 770 + 2600k + 16gb ram). I played my second game yesterday and still getting used to the mechanics and building. I defeated a lightning deer boss and managed to kill a troll in the Black Forest afterwards. I went deeper into the forest looking for a burial chamber and eventually came upon this purple mist portal? where grey dwarves and shamans kept spawning. I killed about 20 of them but they overwhelmed me and I had to run all the way back to my camp. Having a blast so far and look forward to coop play.

Crow Pudding

Nov 12, 2017
So I killed the first boss without dying once in all this time.

20 min in the black forest and died 4 times already. I tried to restore a ruined village but there's spawning monsters all the time.

JoeBoy101

Oct 25, 2017
So I killed the first boss without dying once in all this time.

20 min in the black forest and died 4 times already. I tried to restore a ruined village but there's spawning monsters all the time.

Your playing with fire building anything in the Black Forest. Hell, at the edge is a bit dicey, but I have my work house there and the main house in the relatively safe meadows.

Thought it might be too much until a troll spawn near my workplace's fenceline and I had to kite him away from it.