• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah started figuring that out myself. Roof is up if not a bit sketchy looking lol.

This is officially the OT now. Got it retitled and I'll be working on the OP a little more.
I'm wondering if making walls thicker would help. Like having both sides be regular walls and having a middle bit that's just crossbeams and an X shape. I am not redoing my house again for a while though lol

Xyber

Oct 27, 2017
So I was done playing Apex for the night and hopped on to a discord where some buddies were playing on our server. I was just gonna pop in and see what they have done today. That was a mistake.

Kept playing for another 3 hours and now it's 2am and I have to get up in 5 hours.

This shit is addicting.

I'm wondering if making walls thicker would help. Like having both sides be regular walls and having a middle bit that's just crossbeams and an X shape. I am not redoing my house again for a while though lol

Everything about building in this game comes down to how far you are from a base tile. If you put something on the ground, this will be colored blue. You can then connect another 5 (I think) pieces in any direction before it can't support it anymore.

The way to have something high up be supported is to connect something else to it that requires less pieces to touch the ground. The 4 meter poles are the best option for this since you can reach quite far with very few pieces.

Last edited:

viotech3

Jul 31, 2020
Maryland
New dump!

The key to big house building is getting Core Wood from the Dark Forest for logs - 2x as long, and stronger supports.

This is my dock-house. Boat-Dock, check, House for me, check. Really happy with it.
It does flood during storms (and the lights go out...)

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

I think I should turn grass on, kept it off for performance-sake! Game runs well enough for me tho.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
So I was done playing Apex for the night and hopped on to a discord where some buddies were playing on our server. I was just gonna pop in and see what they have done today. That was a mistake.

Kept playing for another 3 hours and now it's 2am and I have to get up in 5 hours.

This shit is addicting.

Everything about building in this game comes down to how far you are from a base tile. If you put something on the ground, this will be colored blue. You can then connect another 5 (I think) pieces in any direction before it can't support it anymore.

The way to have something high up be supported is to connect something else to it that requires less pieces to touch the ground. The 4 meter poles are the best option for this since you can reach quite far with very few pieces.
4m poles? Is that the core wood one or am I not far along enough yet

I am really trying not to buy this game
Join me

OP
OP
CountAntonio

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
It was my mistake. I removed the bottom floors corewood beam cause it was going through my dinner table so they one on top had no ground level support and was causing that part of the ceiling to collapse.

Now that I have a somewhat functional base I decided to venture out looks for materials and adventure. Found a mountain, began freezing and got killed by a wolf. Now begins the adventure to get my shit back lol.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah, that one.
I hope they will add even longer pieces later on so you can build some really big stuff.
Ahhhh I thought that was only 2m so I ignored it. Guess I'll futz around with that later.

It was my mistake. I removed the bottom floors corewood beam cause it was going through my dinner table so they one on top had no ground level support and was causing that part of the ceiling to collapse.

Now that I have a somewhat functional base I decided to venture out looks for materials and adventure. Found a mountain, began freezing and got killed by a wolf. Now begins the adventure to get my shit back lol.
Ah yeah that'll do it. I got killed before I could drop my portal on another island and had to make a dinky little raft and wait forever to sail to the other place, heh

EDIT: On a side note, holy hell, make a
Fermenter/Cauldron before heading to the Swamp. Poison Resistance? Yes please. Can also do Frost Resistance for the mountain

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
This game... Surprises on every corner.
Will use a spoiler so you guys experience it yourself:

Built a raft to test it out and went on a short tour into the ocean biome. Saw an island with barnacles on it that I could harvest for chitin. Missed a few hits and noticed that the island/rock didnt get damaged. Thought it might a design thing so islands cant get destroyed.
Kept trying a few more hits and suddenly I heard a deep growl and the ground was shaking. I just thought "wtf" and everything went back to normal. 30 seconds later it does it again but this time it starts moving and dissaperaing in the sea.
It was a freakin gigantic sea turtle!

And thats how I got my harpoon guys.

Really fun to use:

Reddit - valheim - The Harpoon might be a little broken HAH https://www.reddit.com/r/valheim/comments/lea88n/the_harpoon_might_be_a_little_broken_hah/

Acrano

Nov 2, 2017
Germany
Played it a bit today and it´s quite fun. I set up an dedicated server, but I´m a bit unhappy with the beginning of the game, is there a way to regenerate a new world? I deleted the dedicated server and installed it new but even when changing server name and passwort it keeps throwing me in the same world it generated the first time.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Played it a bit today and it´s quite fun. I set up an dedicated server, but I´m a bit unhappy with the beginning of the game, is there a way to regenerate a new world? I deleted the dedicated server and installed it new but even when changing server name and passwort it keeps throwing me in the same world it generated the first time.
Yes you can make a new world at any time. Just choose a new one when you are selecting your character.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Welp. The hype in this thread got me. Downloading now. I don't even play survival games, so I am expecting to struggle.

Looking forward to it.

Acrano

Nov 2, 2017
Germany
Yes you can make a new world at any time. Just choose a new one when you are selecting your character.
It worked :-) I did not look at the "Start Game" Tab where it listed the server as dedicated and just joined the server via "Join Game" and searched for the name and put in the password, but it makes sense that it will not spawn a new world. That would be a bit counterproductive if running an dedicated server for my friends and me.

We played a lot of Forest and Grounded, let´s see how the like it. Just installed it today to test it out to give em an opinion. Maybe it will be a good balance to valorant.

Last edited:

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
It worked :-) I did not look at the "Start Game" Tab where it listed the server as dedicated and just joined the server via "Join Game" and searched for the name and put in the password, but it makes sense that it will not spawn a new world. That would be a bit counterproductive if running an dedicated server for my friends and me.

We played a lot of Forest and Grounded, let´s see how the like it. Just installed it today to test it out to give em an opinion. Maybe it will be a good balance to valorant.
Fun fact, I recently figured out an "exploit" of sorts when it comes to having multiple games
Get your ore, get near a portal. Log out, drop the ore in a chest in a different game. Log into main game, portal. Log out and collect the ore in the other map. Log back in.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ok I am just running around and learning the game systems and doing basic shit, and already this is really engaging. Is it weird that I love the art direction?

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Very productive day! Got myself a bronze set, killed 2 trolls, then helped a friend kill The Elder and had a brief romp in the swamp (I died). Got to use the teleporters, too!
QZsCrax.jpg

3YDAhk8.jpg

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
New dump!

The key to big house building is getting Core Wood from the Dark Forest for logs - 2x as long, and stronger supports.

This is my dock-house. Boat-Dock, check, House for me, check. Really happy with it.
It does flood during storms (and the lights go out...)

SNIP

I think I should turn grass on, kept it off for performance-sake! Game runs well enough for me tho.

These are incredible! My house is basically a shack with a wonky roof that if the rain is coming in from the wrong direction will put the fire out!

I need to spend more time understanding how to build, especially roofing!

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I suggested this to some friends and suddenly we have a 6 person server going, very fun!
We beat the first boss, finished a dungeon and killed a troll and spent a lot of time building houses lol. Our little village is coming together.

Bardeh

Jun 15, 2018
We've built a main base in the meadows, and then an outpost in the Black Forest, but there are no damn pigs anywhere near the outpost and I need leather for every damn thing. I guess it's time to start a pig farm at the meadows base, cos it's getting old going out to hunt pigs every time I wanna craft something.

Also considering pathening the route between the two and building a bridge over the river, but that is gonna take time.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are there private servers or a way to play with a community like Era? My RL friends have no interest in playing.

TheRyzzl

Oct 5, 2018
How is this game only 1 gig?! Also, my raid group from FF 14 started playing this today. Man it's addicting and I usually find these type of survival games boring.

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Quick question is there a quicker way to get wood, looking at some of these structures being built above I imagine they must take hundreds if not thousands of bits of wood.

I'm basically just chopping down trees with a flint axe and feel like it would take hours alone just to gather any meaningful amount of wood on my own, i'll do it but just wondered if i'm missing something.

I'm still in the first area and haven't challenged the boss yet.

Bobbetybob

Nov 11, 2017
My friend picked this up and it looks interesting but I just wanted to make sure of something before picking it up. Am I right in thinking that the servers in this aren't all shared? So it's not like Rust where you have to deal with knobs coming and breaking things, you can just play fully offline or privately with friends on a server?

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
My brother is family sharing this to me so I can try for a bit and see if my oldass PC can hold up.
If I reach 5+ hours I'll buy it

slsk

Oct 27, 2017
My friend picked this up and it looks interesting but I just wanted to make sure of something before picking it up. Am I right in thinking that the servers in this aren't all shared? So it's not like Rust where you have to deal with knobs coming and breaking things, you can just play fully offline or privately with friends on a server?
You can make a friends-only server.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Et8RXd-XMAcY9xT

Still haven't even headed over to the continent the second boss is on.
Note that I did play multiple savegames before settling on my community server

Doctor Doggo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. I haven't played a game in a long time where hours just disappear. It feels like it's been 30 minutes, but it's actually 6 hours later and you're wondering why you didn't cook dinner yet.

KCroxtonJr

Oct 28, 2017
Man i love the character progression in this, feels so good to be running faster and jumping higher after playing many hours haha.

I just had my first real death though and it was ROUGH. Finally started making my way to the second boss on a slow ass raft, only to get curious after seeing a new biome about halfway, which upon getting closer resulted in a very quick death. Getting back to my body and making sure I don't die again took HOURS and was stressful, but it was a good learning experience

Need to get a teleport network started asap

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
So I ended up buying it after doing some research on it. I also stumbled upon this video and seeing as some people were having issues with building stability I thought I'd share it. I just launched the game for the first time so I don't know how accurate it is but I hope it's helpful.