• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Corthier

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
New England, USA
Beat The Elder last night, that fight is really fun solo. Can echo the sentiment others had in that it's a lot more challenging than the first boss.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
Went on my first seafaring voyage yesterday with my group, nearly died in the first encounter as we stopped on some random island and fought to repair the shitty dingy. Lmao ridiculous.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
This game keeps on delivering.

When looking at the hoe options I was thinking "why would I ever need to make a path?"

Then as I was hauling a full load of ore and wood back to my base, my cart hit a rock and exploded.

Oh, that's why I want to make paths!

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
So what happens when you defeat all the bosses? Please use spoiler tags in consideration of others.
I'd say nothing much cause there will be more bosses added throughout EA.

This game keeps on delivering.

I was thinking "why would I need to make a path?"

Then as I was hauling a full load of ore and wood back to my base, my cart hit a rock and exploded.

Oh, that's why I want to make paths!

Making "roads" has been a godsend for us mining with carts.

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Man the Swamp is such a large difficulty increase compared to Black Forest

SoundLad

Oct 30, 2017
2 hours into this and here to share my thoughts. Please keep in mind that I haven't played a survival game of this type in what feels like a decade, so I'm very out of the loop regarding survival games.

+ Game looks really nice. Awesome lighting.
+ Crafting so far is easy to get to grips with.
+ Exploring the map seems pretty satisfying.

- Performance is ass on my i7 3770 + GTX 1070. Feels like above 60fps but it stutters / micro-freezes all the time.
- Music got repetitive real quick.
- General feeling of 'what the fuck am I supposed to be doing' is kinda overwhelming.

Not sure what to do now. I made all the basic tools (I think) and a bow + arrows. Went to the first boss and got annihilated & lost all my shit. I might get a refund.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
So our little Village is pretty nice so far - we're 6 people and progressing slowly but surely. Build at the sea, the meadows and the black forest. Next all 6 are online, we're gonna tackle the 2nd boss.

20210210174829_1b6jz6.jpg

20210210174843_1abjbn.jpg

20210210174848_1dzk3q.jpg

In the background, there's the building of one guy who just didn't get the building system and quit trying. We're still not sure what to do with it and that area. Potentially we're gonna use that for cultivating the land.

My next project is gonna be a platform for the teleporter close to where the third screen is.

Last edited:

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
Man the Swamp is such a large difficulty increase compared to Black Forest
Can't even find a damn swamp in our seed.

Also landed in Plains for the first time yesterday exploring and one group member was almost immediately murdered. Had to flee back to the ship with like 3 larg or whatever chasing us, took a chunk out of the boat, nearly sank it. Way outclassed.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
2 hours into this and here to share my thoughts. Please keep in mind that I haven't played a survival game of this type in what feels like a decade, so I'm very out of the loop regarding survival games.

+ Game looks really nice. Awesome lighting.
+ Crafting so far is easy to get to grips with.
+ Exploring the map seems pretty satisfying.

- Performance is ass on my i7 3770 + GTX 1070. Feels like above 60fps but it stutters / micro-freezes all the time.
- Music got repetitive real quick.
- General feeling of 'what the fuck am I supposed to be doing' is kinda overwhelming.

Not sure what to do now. I made all the basic tools (I think) and a bow + arrows. Went to the first boss and got annihilated & lost all my shit. I might get a refund.
Not your kind of game then.

Racketpunch

Oct 26, 2017
Any server recommendations for someone in the US? It's been awhile since I've rented a dedicated server lol

Xyber

Oct 27, 2017
Looking at getting a server myself. Who do you guys recommend? I heard g-portal or GTX are good?

I didn't look around too much, went with citadel servers. Was very smooth to set it up, just took a a little while for it to spin up and after that it has just worked. Fairly simple web interface for managing stuff.

OP
OP
CountAntonio

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
First big base build. Trying to get the roof from caving in was an ordeal. There has to be a better way than all my ugly pillars though. Gonna do some research.

20210210102546_1.jpg

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
So I've seen lots of talk of this game the past week but I don't really play games in co-op. I maybe have 1 or 2 people I tend to play games with, is this a game that I can play solo? Does it do a good job of introducing players to the mechanics and how the game works?

I really want to give it a shot but I'd rather not have to buy it just to refund it.

Doctor Doggo

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at getting a server myself. Who do you guys recommend? I heard g-portal or GTX are good?

I went with g-portal, because it seemed to be best reviewed one online. This is my first experience with renting a server, so I can't really comment on the other ones available to rent. It was pretty straight forward to set up and they have pretty clear instructions on how to edit settings and what not, should you need to.

Shryke

Oct 26, 2017
Started playing this last night at around 8pm.... 6.5 hours later.... where did the time go? This game really needs a sort button, but it's very legit. Playing solo atm.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I actually think this game plays better solo.

It is balanced great for that sort of play, and the feeling of being alone in this hostile and mysterious world is fantastic

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
I actually think this game plays better solo.

It is balanced great for that sort of play, and the feeling of being alone in this hostile and mysterious world is fantastic

I'd continue playing solo if there were NPC villages or wandering merchants. Maybe there are and I haven't found them yet. I've definitely seen abandoned buildings. I'm sure that'll come in due time.

I'm trying to convince my friends to break into clans of 5 and compete against each other on our server.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I'd continue playing solo if there were NPC villages or wandering merchants. Maybe there are and I haven't found them yet. I've definitely seen abandoned buildings. I'm sure that'll come in due time.

I'm trying to convince my friends to break into clans of 5 and compete against each other on our server.

I'm not 100% sure but I think I saw one person somewhere writing that he found a wandering merchant.
No confirmation here, no spoiler, I have no idea, just read this one time, so I wouldn't rule it out.

Oct 27, 2017

Speaking of the abandoned buildings, is there anything from stopping players from sorta repairing them/building around them just to have some makeshift hideouts/safe houses of sorts along your journey?

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany

There is a (non wandering) merchant that you can find somewhere in a random Black Forest biome. Outside of that, no friendly NPCs from what I know.

Speaking of the abandoned buildings, is there anything from stopping players from sorta repairing them/building around them just to have some makeshift hideouts/safe houses of sorts along your journey?
You easily can repair them. Just plop a workbench down and use repair to get them back into tip top shape. Add the parts that are missing and voila.
I have done it many times to build forward spawnpoints and such.

Doctor Doggo

Oct 25, 2017
Asked this the other day, but no one answered: does anyone know if there is a way to a second bed at a different location? It seems like you can only build one?

OP
OP
CountAntonio

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
If you figure it out let me know. I can get like 70% of my 2nd story roof to stay intact
I'm still having issues completely sealing the top. There is a good for or five sections that keep collapsing. I know it has something to do with the color coding showing the loads but I can't figure out how to anchor that part from the base.

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
I'm still having issues completely sealing the top. There is a good for or five sections that keep collapsing. I know it has something to do with the color coding showing the loads but I can't figure out how to anchor that part from the base.
So I figured some of it out. Make a base for your building with horizontal beams DIRECTLY ON THE GROUND (levelling/raising the ground never seems to be perfect for me so sometimes the dirt comes through the floor). Add vertical beams directly on top of these beams. Pretty much everything you do needs to come off of these beams. Floors, for instance, I think the best I can get structurally is 3 2x2 floor panels inbetween beams. Keep making cubes of sorts. For longer roofs I found making hallways like this useful.

zZRRYRq.png

EDIT: It's not perfect, but I have a roof everywhere now (minus some gaps since it's not a perfect square)

Last edited:

Boclfon479

Oct 25, 2017
Started playing today and when I realized you can repair your gear at the crafting table, the game became way more fun.

just got full leather gear, getting ready to fight the first boss

Fizzgig

Oct 30, 2017
One of my friends caved and bought it, so I've been in his world helping him gather resources and defeating the first boss. This game is so good!

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't see another game beating this for GotY this year.

30+ hours in four days, and loving it. And it's only early access.

OP
OP
CountAntonio

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
So I figured some of it out. Make a base for your building with horizontal beams DIRECTLY ON THE GROUND (levelling/raising the ground never seems to be perfect for me so sometimes the dirt comes through the floor). Add vertical beams directly on top of these beams. Pretty much everything you do needs to come off of these beams. Floors, for instance, I think the best I can get structurally is 3 2x2 floor panels inbetween beams. Keep making cubes of sorts. For longer roofs I found making hallways like this useful.

zZRRYRq.png

EDIT: It's not perfect, but I have a roof everywhere now (minus some gaps since it's not a perfect square)
Yeah started figuring that out myself. Roof is up if not a bit sketchy looking lol.

This is officially the OT now. Got it retitled and I'll be working on the OP a little more.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
20210211013025_183jdl.jpg

I decided to go the Stargate route for our teleporter. You put in the name where you wanna go so it's just one teleporter in the base and the names of the most important teleporters sorrounding it. .

State of the village right now. This is the first game where I can understand the MMO FOMO that some people get. I just don't wanna quit.
20210211012746_10mk2l.jpg