• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I just hope folks with penises do not take up this trend widespread as well

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, social media still fucking up the world, I see. "vabbing" is also sort of a short term word here in Sweden for "taking care of sick child/children".. That word is now ruined .

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't new. When i was a teenager there were these constant rumors that women smeared their vagina fluids behind their ears. i don't know if anyone actually did it though. It was more of a drunk joke.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
well i am no doctor but doesnt like every animal (mammals at least) choose their partners by smelling their genitals?

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Reaaaaaally need all this technology to find a way to let people be smacked through the internet. Shits getting outta hand.

Deleted user 119316

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jun 22, 2022
I am not going to lie, I am not overjoyed by the trend of rubbing vagina juice on elbows, and really hope it doesn't catch on, but that "Great Wall of 'Vagina'" linked in the OP is pretty cool.

I have sometimes been self conscious about my labia, so it's nice to just see a wall of 400 different labia and realise "oh, vaginas are very diverse and mine is fine". That project needs more eyes on it.

The secretions thing though... Eh...

vastag

Oct 26, 2017

Are we reading the same paper?

Our results did not uphold the findings of Jütte and Grammer (1997). O

Previous research indicates exposure to copulins results in hormonal changes, inhibits male ability to discriminate the attractiveness of women's faces, and decreases men's cooperation (Jütte & Grammer, 1997; Steinbach et al., 2012). Our study did not replicate Jütte and Grammer (1997); however, the data were trending toward significance.

Although our data were trending, we do not have statistical evidence to report a replication of Jütte and Grammer (1997). This may be due to small sample size and small number of visual stimuli

Sample size was too small to determine any meaningful findings with regard to mate guarding and relationship status.

Which is why is published in a Q4 journal.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Lmao. Good luck with that.

Folks, no need to wipe ya crotches on yourselves. Brush your teeth and wash your feet and things will work out.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
It's not patriarchal, it's patriarchal to assume they're doing it to attract men. I'm pretty sure this trend is intersectional. Even if just be default due to statistics of the ratio to cis-het to queer it's people of varying sexualities and genders doing this.

pfkas

Jun 23, 2020
wp6619116.jpg

Patsy

Jun 7, 2019
Germany
the hetties are not okay

seriously feel so sorry for straight women lmao thank fuck i'm a lesbian

edit: the only ppl on tiktok/twitter i've seen talk about this have been straight so if it's actually intersectional i haven't seen any of that & hope it doesn't change because this shit is WAY too desperate lol

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
"Vabbing is also seen as another tool of patriarchal oppression"

Hmm. I mean don't engage on this act? Do men expect women to dab themselves or what? I don't mean to be rude but I don't really understand this.
We don't even need to try to be oppressive anymore. Anyway this practise goes way way back.

Shaqnificent

Aug 1, 2022
It's not that strange. I'm more likely to stick around if I like the smell of your vagina versus not. Is that not how pheromones work?

But I think they're missing the point a bit. It only works if I… actually like what I'm smelling. If I don't, then 🤷🏾‍♂️

Oct 26, 2017
p = .074

"eh" indeed.

Also, while there were 100 subjects (i.e., 50 per condition), there were only 10 stimuli. Since they had to rate those 10 faces on a 5-point Likert scale, one would assume that they had selected either two pictures per "rank" (i.e., two pictures rated 1, two pictures rated 2, etc...) or all faces ranked as "average". Obviously this "objective" rating would have had to have been done before this study.

I haven't had a look at Jütte & Grammer's 1997 study (the one from which these pictures were taken) but 10 faces is definitely too few... if they picked only "objectively average" faces, you wouldn't be able to assess the impact on lower-ranked or higher-ranked faces (one could assume that the effect is not linear across all attractiveness levels) and if they picked an heterogenous set of faces you simply don't have enough samples per "rank".

Deadly_ViruS

Aug 5, 2022
tik tok is a trend that everyone arround the globe got stuck with it like their own opportunities to be more popular to the whole world... the point of this is to have everyday challenges like games to force the viewers to pay the live creator to get paid from the application.... Dunno why that happens but whoever did that application, i see only negative points instead of positive points... As of Vaginas and pheromones i don't have any proper answer about them....

Ragnar

Oct 28, 2017

Depends on your level of scientific rigour.

The abstract states that the men inhaling copulins rated women as on average more attractive than did the men not inhaling copulins, and while this is true, it's also a very common way to save face/misdirect when your study fails to reach statistical significance (this is why they put the word "trending" in there).

But there's pretty much always a difference in the average values between two groups in a published study (weird if the results in both groups were identical, right?) This doesn't mean that the difference is statistically significant, and that's what you want in order to be published (a p-value of less than or equal to 0.05).

The p-value for female attractiveness in this case was 0.074, which means that there's a 7.4 % chance of getting a difference of this magnitude even if there were no real, underlying difference between the groups (a false positive).

The only measurement in this study that achieved statistical significance was the men's rating of their own attractiveness (p = 0.042). Meaning that they thought more highly of themselves, rather than the women they were rating.

vastag

Oct 26, 2017
Depends on your level of scientific rigour.

The abstract states that the men inhaling copulins rated women as on average more attractive than did the men not inhaling copulins, and while this is true, it's also a very common way to save face/misdirect when your study fails to reach statistical significance (this is why they put the word "trending" in there).

But there's pretty much always a difference in the average values between two groups in a published study (weird if the results in both groups were identical, right?) This doesn't mean that the difference is statistically significant, and that's what you want in order to be published (a p-value of less than or equal to 0.05).

The p-value for female attractiveness in this case was 0.074, which means that there's a 7.4 % chance of getting a difference of this magnitude even if there were no real, underlying difference between the groups (a false positive).

The only measurement in this study that achieved statistical significance was the men's rating of their own attractiveness (p = 0.042). Meaning that they thought more highly of themselves, rather than the women they were rating.

Best part, the first author's other paper: Synthetic Copulin Does Not Affect Men's Sexual Behavior

Nov 3, 2021
Even better, I found this sentence in that paper.
However, the mixtures smelled differently and the graduate student running the sessions correctly guessed which container held the copulin mixture and began to discriminate the two odors, thus double-blinding was unable to be maintained throughout the study
That's a true jaded academic right there, you just write the paper anyway and throw in a sentence that says "by the way, this is all pointless".

Blue Lou

Oct 26, 2017
This was a sub-plot in an episode of UK comedy Raised by Wolves a few years ago. Episode was called "The Monroe Technique" after it.

Hey, so guys, I've decided on my tactics for my date.

I'm doing a Marilyn Monroe.

What, you're going to become famous by standing on a grate, appear in Some Like It Hot and die tragically young? I'm in.

No, Aretha. I'm implementing another of my patented life hacks. Check it out! I've got some of my lady juice on my wrists, as perfume.

Germaine! What?

Monroe did it all the time and she bagged the third hottest President, after Obama and that one that sat in a chair with his legs under a blanket. I had no idea how interesting I smell. It's like I've got Coco Chanel down there, churning out hit after hit!

Read more at: https://tvshowtranscripts.ourboard.org/viewtopic.php?f=257&t=25726

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
User Banned (1 Month): Sexism
Desperate men who can´t get a date - ¨Shit I gotta start hitting the gym, change my look, start earning more cash with a better career, get a dog for my dating profile pics, move to a place where I get more matches, etc.¨

Desperate women who can´t get a date - ¨I´ll just have to use my vagina juices as a super perfume so men can get an even better reception on the pheromones¨

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think we have a guy called Derek at the pub trying a variation of this? He always smells of piss. Can't say it's working.

Tbh the whole idea seems dumb. It dries up as crusty flakes, you want that stuck to you all day?

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Um.

So, I spent the entire evening after having read this thread trying to imagine what my response would be to someone who confided in me that they did this.

"...love that for you."

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
And yet I've never heard of a trend of men spreading their semen over their erogenous zones to attract people. Where is that getting 37 million views or going on for decades? The fact that there are vaginal products implying the natural vaginal scent is disgusting but not for men, tells you a lot. I'm team desperate, especially if this is designed to attract others rather than as empowerment.

I've read that study and it seems pretty weak as evidence, which they admit to and say not to extrapolate it. Although that won't stop people from jumping to conclusions like these Tiktoks. They can't even conclude as copulins being pheromones, but pheromone science is still quite dodgy. Also they didn't test it on women or lesbians and brought up worries about possible rape or sexual assault because according to the results, men become less cooperative and more competitive.

Human studies have shown synthetic copulin exposure increases men's testosterone levels and decreases their cooperative behaviors (Steinbach, Oberzaucher, & Grammer, 2012). Thus, women may be at a greater risk of direct aggressive behaviors perpetrated by men during ovulation. And indeed studies show that women may be aware of this increased risk. Women are more risk aversive at high conception risk than low conception risk (Chavanne & Gallup, 1998). Women at high conception risk, but not low conception risk, display greater handgrip strength in response to sexual assault vignettes but not in response to control vignettes (Petralia & Gallup, 2002). This could have implications for domestic violence and date rape and would be an interesting area for future research.​
There has been no research looking at the effects of copulins on other women. Future research questions may include whether women show greater intrasexual aggression and antimate poaching behaviors when exposed to copulins. Future research may also look at the sensitivity of homosexual women to copulins.​

if people want to be walking bacteria farms they can stay out of places where people eat.
Unless if you're eating semen-based dishes.
aoN2XDg_700b.jpg

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU
It's not that strange. I'm more likely to stick around if I like the smell of your vagina versus not. Is that not how pheromones work?

But I think they're missing the point a bit. It only works if I… actually like what I'm smelling. If I don't, then 🤷🏾‍♂️

Interesting point. I would say however, that it doesn't work that way. Humans (men in this example) are likely genetically programmed in a way to be attracted to multiple partners over the course of a lifetime, not just one. So it would only make sense that most men would be attracted to lots of different kinds of smells, and not just a select few. Would be an interesting study though (if it hasn't been done already?) to test how different pheromones work and the effects they have on subjects (assuming there ARE even chemical "differences" and it's not just the same thing that is doing the actual "work")

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
I have a vanilla spray that makes me smell like ice cream. 🍨
I've had no complaints and I'm sticking to it.

Yeah I can totally picture medieval ladies doing this for some reason lol
No doubt this is a thing as old as time.
If this can be a used for a story about ancient Persia and Darius's rise to the throne then why not medieval ladies too.

https://thehistorianshut.com/2017/07/04/the-odd-ascension-of-darius-the-great-to-the-persian-throne/

Consequence

Oct 27, 2017
I am not going to lie, I am not overjoyed by the trend of rubbing vagina juice on elbows, and really hope it doesn't catch on, but that "Great Wall of 'Vagina'" linked in the OP is pretty cool.

I have sometimes been self conscious about my labia, so it's nice to just see a wall of 400 different labia and realise "oh, vaginas are very diverse and mine is fine". That project needs more eyes on it.

The secretions thing though... Eh...
There's also an Australian project called the Labia Library that has the same intent- I heard of it first mentioned as something doctors can provide to patients when discussing a cosmetic labioplasty.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
if people want to be walking bacteria farms they can stay out of places where people eat.
we already are, every single human is surrounded by a cloud of bacteria, viruses and fungi. criminal forensics even takes this into account (iirc), suspects can at least in theory be identified based on all the microbes they leave behind (everyone of us has a distinct microbiome).

if you are near people, you are swimming in their microbes by default. no way to avoid it. we are basically just vessels for tiny organisms to inhabit and procreate and evolve in lol. and we shed them everywhere, all surfaces around us are covered in them.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
we already are, every single human is surrounded by a cloud of bacteria, viruses and fungi. criminal forensics even takes this into account (iirc), suspects can at least in theory be identified based on all the microbes they leave behind (everyone of us has a distinct microbiome).

if you are near people, you are swimming in their microbes by default. no way to avoid it. we are basically just vessels for tiny organisms to inhabit and procreate and evolve in lol. and we shed them everywhere, all surfaces around us are covered in them.

This is more like using a nasty weapon coating in a From game.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, ill pass. I dont want to smell vagina unless we in the process of fucking.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
You could never do a study if this works. Too many variables that can't be calculated. Pheromones are real but confidence, luck, and so many other things blow up any type of experiment.

Last edited: