• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MattAces

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Malaysia
blog.us.playstation.com

Vader Immortal: A Star Wars VR Series is Coming to PS VR This Summer

How the team behind Vader Immortal made lightsabers feel right in virtual reality.
49843349511_33edcd3341_k.jpg

49843348911_0b04985ae8_h.jpg

49843349216_19ce9f8ea0_h.jpg

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Opps slight error in the title.
Today, I'm excited to let you know that Vader Immortal: A Star Wars VR Series is coming to PlayStation VR later this summer, and the series will be available as a complete series: all three episodes and Lightsaber Dojos will be available for purchase together, for the first time.

Back in 2016, when ILMxLAB first started talking about creating a canonical VR series that focused on Darth Vader, our goal was to tell a new and unique story about one of the most infamous villains in the galaxy. We wanted to bring you into the world of Star Wars in a way that could only be done through immersive storytelling in VR. This would put YOU right in the middle of the action to connect with amazing characters as your actions move the story forward.

Prior to Vader Immortal, I worked with the Lucasfilm Story Group to develop Star Wars stories for feature films. Now, the task was to bring the same techniques and care that we used in our movies to this new form of storytelling. Of course, quality is key for a brand like Star Wars. We pushed ourselves every day to combine high quality visuals, sound and compelling interactivity in a way not previously attempted or achieved in the VR space. To do this, we built a team of folks with varied storytelling backgrounds from film, games, and animation, brought on key collaborators like ClutchPlay, and leveraged Epic Games' Unreal Engine 4. This, along with the help of Writer and Executive Producer David S. Goyer, helped to find our path for the project.

One of our first meetings began with a whiteboard. We listed out everything that we thought fans (and ourselves!) would most want to experience, if they were inside the Star Wars galaxy. Wielding a lightsaber was right there at the top of that list, but we knew that if we were going to do that, we had to do it right. We went through many different mechanics, both in-house and with our partners at Ninja Theory, before we got to the point where you really felt like you were parrying a blow, slicing through metal, or blocking blaster fire. We continually tested and tweaked the feedback until we got it right.
blog.us.playstation.com

Vader Immortal: A Star Wars VR Series is Coming to PS VR This Summer

How the team behind Vader Immortal made lightsabers feel right in virtual reality.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Still never bought the Oculus version.. It was never on sale AFAIK (apparently was in a Quest bundle...)

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Good, all VR games should be available for all VR headsets if possible (aside from 1st party).

sonnyboy

Oct 25, 2017
This might be a reason for me to knock the dust off of my unit. Admittedly, it's mostly due to me being a father and not having time to myself lol.

@TheFriendlyBro

IGN - Video Producer and Editor
Verified
Aug 1, 2019
Vader Immortal is decent as far as VR experiences go, nothing crazy, but seeing Vader standing next to you is pretty great.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Nice! This & Pistol Whip will keep my PSVR in use.

But where in the world is Iron Man VR?

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
Has any other oculus exclusive ever been ported to another headset, isn't this pretty big news? Wonder if it has anything to do with Sony buying insomniac who was making some of Oculus best games.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Game was great on the Quest. Seeing 2m Vader standing infront of you made me go "woaaaah"

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
This is kind of cool but ultimately I found it quite lacking. It's a bit like a theme park ride, and the best bits are in the second episode when you get to engage in some of the cooler Star Wars power fantasies. The third episode was a bit of a let down after that.

Stallion Free

Oct 29, 2017
It's pretty neat, especially if you like Star Wars. Grabbing a blaster with the force while blocking shots with your saber is pretty damn cool.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Nice!
I loved the VR portion on Battlefront 1, so I'm curious to check out this one.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Vader Immortal is a cool ride. It has some great presence. It's lacking as 'a game' (it's more of a short 'experience' type thing - although it does have gameplay!) but it's a cool Star Wars thing. I really like it.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
Sweet! Looks like my PSVR has 1 final round of use with this, Iron Man VR and The Walking Dead VR game.

Kaiser Swayze

Oct 30, 2017
It's a pretty good game with moments of brilliance. A bit too much standing and being talked at. But throwing and catching a lightsaber is pure joy. Makes me wish we had a Thor or God of War VR game.

DrHercouet

May 25, 2018
France
I have a Quest *and* a PSVR, the PSVR is amazing for gamepad VR games (Resident Evil, WipEout, Astro Bot...), but the moves are meh. I hope it's going to be okay but part of the fun in Vader Immortal is to be able to turn around and play lightsaber like frenzy, I feel like it's going to work as well on PSVR :/

Ploppee

Nov 28, 2018
Now that Half Life Alyx has set the bar they could easily make a Star Wars game in that vein and that would be amazing. The force fits so well for VR.

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017
Meh, this wasn't a very good "game" - was really disappointed in it actually. Each episode is barely 20 minutes long and there's just not much at all to do.

If you could get all three episodes for maybe ten bucks, it could be worth it for star wars fans, but full price for each one felt way too much to me given how many other good VR games are out there for the buying.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Not a particularly excellent series of games, but they're cool if you're into Star Wars. On Oculus the games were very cheap, too (I think ~$10 per episode). FWIW the graphics really are as nice as those screenshots would have you believe.

Meh, this wasn't a very good "game" - was really disappointed in it actually. Each episode is barely 20 minutes long and there's just not much at all to do.
Not to say the games are long or anything, but they're really 40+ minutes each.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
As an experience, it's pretty cool and seeing Vader up close was a genuine 'holy fuck' moment. The meat and potatoes of the game IMO is really the dojo mode. If you ever daydreamed about being a Jedi and wielding a lightsaber, this is as good as it currently gets. PSVR has sold the most VR units and this should sell well on the platform.

Oct 27, 2017
This is interesting, because it seems like it was a somewhat "internal" project by ILMxLAB and that EA isn't involve at all, despite them holding the licensing rights for SW videogames

edit: I guess that shouldn't be surprising. Just saw the Lego SW thread and realized EA wasn't publishing that either. Nevermindd

Although this still makes me annoyed we never got a lightstaber game for the Wii motion+ ;_;

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
It's a cool game, don't go expecting much, each episode is an hour so it's about 3 hours long and gets better as you go. It is very immersive and the feeling of the saber is great.

The main reason to get this is the dojo which is a fun arcade like experience that will test your jedi skills. The first one is simple, it starts to get really cool with the second one when force powers are in the mix. That said it's pretty demanding from a motion recognition point of view, I wonder how PS move will handle it.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
To be honest, the gameplay isn't all that great, but it's an entertaining Star Wars experience and definitely worth playing if you're a fan. Like it was mentioned already, the Lightsaber dojo is some good simple fun too.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
If it's not I'd be surprised. There is a big ass Oculus Studios logo when you boot up the game.
ILMxLab isn't an oculus studio though, and the announcement does not mention Oculus Studios either.
www.ilmxlab.com

Just Announced: Vader Immortal is Coming to PlayStation VR! - ILM Immersive

May the 4th be with you! To celebrate Star Wars Day, ILMxLAB has just announced that Vader Immortal: A Star Wars VR Series will be coming to PlayStation® VR this Summer. All three episodes will be available together as one individual purchase, bringing the complete VR trilogy together. “We are...