• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
Aren't these a lot different than normal vaccine fridges? like these are dry ice level. you're food isn't going to be edible if you put it in these

Moderna's vaccine needs to be transported at -20C (-4F) (Pfizer's is -70C (-94F)) and then can be stored at a regular fridge temp for up to 30 days. They also say that their vaccine can be left at room temp for 12hrs.

Moderna Announces Longer Shelf Life for its COVID-19 Vaccine Candidate at Refrigerated Temperatures | Moderna, Inc.

Vaccine candidate now expected to remain stable at standard refrigerator temperatures of 2° to 8°C (36° to 46°F) for 30 days, up from previous estimate of 7 days Shipping and long-term storage conditions at standard freezer temperatures of -20°C (-4°F) for 6 months mRNA-1273 to be distributed using

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Aren't these a lot different than normal vaccine fridges? like these are dry ice level. you're food isn't going to be edible if you put it in these
You're thinking of the Pfizer vaccine which needs to be kept at -70C. The Moderna vaccine only has to be kept at -20C, or -4F, which is within the range of a regular-ass freezer.

Edit: Poster above me answered in more/better detail :)

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Removing it on purpose doesn't necessarily mean it was malicious. For instance, they could have been ignorant and not realized the vaccine was temperature controlled. Until the internal review is complete, we can't really judge the why & how of the situation.
Even assuming it wasn't on purpose, this is just not how it works. Medical fridges are marked. Healthcare training includes protocol about storing vaccinations that need to be refrigerated. And it is obvious- just from the ubiquitousness of refrigerators- that anything that comes out of one has to go back in. My seven year old nephew knows to put fucking orange juice back in the fridge; a healthcare professional is not going to be ignorant enough to take a vaccine out of the fridge and not also understand it needs to be returned in a timely manner. Like, come on.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The news clip says that the hospital says that the employee "purposefully sabotaged" the doses.

www.wisn.com

Vaccines intentionally removed from hospital refrigerator, employee fired

The person who left 57 vials of the Moderna vaccine out of a pharmacy refrigerator at Aurora Medical Center- Grafton did so intentionally, Advocate Aurora Health said.
Yup, this report makes it clear as day.

This person needs to be fined, prosecuted, and punished to the fullest extent of the law. Fuck this shit. Not sure why anyone here is trying to "what if" or cast doubt on the intentions of the criminal.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Intent doesn't prove malice
what other intent would there be but to do harm (which is literally the definition of malice)? and malice, legally, can be implied, not literally admitted to. What else would you imply? and " reckless" acts can impute malice

Intentionally left it open but didn't mean to ruin the vaccines? this is the hospital using words very specifically (likely written by their lawyers for liability) so they don't say they have someone sabotaging their viruses

grand

Oct 25, 2017
The news clip says that the hospital says that the employee "purposefully sabotaged" the doses.

www.wisn.com

The person who left 57 vials of the Moderna vaccine out of a pharmacy refrigerator at Aurora Medical Center- Grafton did so intentionally, Advocate Aurora Health said.
I don't see them saying purposefully sabotage in the article.

Edit: oh! The article updated with the 9pm news video segment. Yeah, "purposefully sabotaged" is pretty cut & dry. I rescind my previous objections. Fuck that mystery person

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
and whoops! or "I didn't know" isn't a legal excuse. its a reasonable person standard which is objective

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Removing it on purpose doesn't necessarily mean it was malicious. For instance, they could have been ignorant and not realized the vaccine was temperature controlled. Until the internal review is complete, we can't really judge the why & how of the situation.
Why does this person have the authority to remove something from refrigeration if they don't have knowledge of if it needs it or not?

Bio-Frost

Nov 6, 2017
Bend
Maybe? The fridge in question i was talking about wasnt for covid tho, it was for flu vaccines. Just brought it up to shows peoples incompetence when it comes to these things.

Last edited:

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Why does this person have the authority to remove something from refrigeration if they don't have knowledge of if it needs it or not?
Because:
Maybe? The fridge in question wasnt for covid tho, it was for flu vaccines. Just brought it up to shows peoples incompetence when it comes to these things.

Of course, subsequent reporting has described it as purposeful sabotage so the the point is moot. But vaccines are typically delegated to low level medical professionals so the destruction of such wouldn't be THAT shocking in the medical field (though it would lead to termination, as it did immediately). It's the admittance of "purposeful sabotage" that makes this newsworthy.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The finest example of Midwestern nice. Things were going relatively ok lately here so we just had to screw it up. With this I'm sure we'll end up seeing the post-holiday spike in cases Wisconsin managed to avoid with Thanksgiving

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Because:

Of course, subsequent reporting has described it as purposeful sabotage so the the point is moot. But vaccines are typically delegated to low level medical professionals so the destruction of such wouldn't be THAT shocking in the medical field (though it would lead to termination, as it did immediately). It's the admittance of "purposeful sabotage" that makes this newsworthy.

We have a fridge at work and wouldn't dare remove something from it without permission; and I work in IT/programming. I can't imagine anyone removing something that is not theirs from a hospital fridge, let alone vaccines where are clearly there for some purpose, if I understand the reason or not.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
We have a fridge at work and wouldn't dare remove something from it without permission; and I work in IT/programming. I can't imagine anyone removing something that is not theirs from a hospital fridge, let alone vaccines where are clearly there for some purpose, if I understand the reason or not.
Happens all the time in medical, sadly enough

Yeah, she probably removed 57 vials of vaccine from a medical refrigerator for good reason.
She?

grand

Oct 25, 2017
OHHHHHH

Now I know why there is so much confusion in this thread. If you click the direct link in the bottom of the OP you'll get an article with a video describing the event as human error. But if you click the link in the quote itself, you'll get the same article but with a different video describing the event as a purposeful sabotage.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Do we know it was because the person was an anti vaccine? Granted I'm not sure what other reason they would have but then people are weird and you can never fully guess their intentions.

Basically I'm just wanting to know why they removed the vaccines and if the articles said it was cause the person was an anti vaccer I missed it.

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
As someone in Wisconsin I'm not surprised it was on propose. I had a nurse here tell me she wasn't taking the vaccine (how it isn't a requirement I don't know) I had another nurse come into my store saying she didn't have to wear a mask because she had Covid already and was immune, had to ask her to leave. So just because someone is a medical professional (or say they are) doesn't mean they know right. That said I bet it was a pharmacy tech that didn't require a degree.

Lakitu

Dec 8, 2017
I cannot express how much I detest anti-vaxxers.

If you are a dumb fuck that chooses not to take them then OK but do not force your bullshit on the rest of us. Ultimately they have potentially costed the lives of 500 vulnerable people that needed it.

Fuck you and throw the idiot in prison.

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
Hoo boy, this gonna be one of those times, isn't it? Some of these folks are really gonna make it hard for the rest of us.
OHHHHHH

Now I know why there is so much confusion in this thread. If you click the direct link in the bottom of the OP you'll get an article with a video describing the event as human error. But if you click the link in the quote itself, you'll get the same article but with a different video describing the event as a purposeful sabotage.
Yeah, the way it update the story was a bit confusing for me too, at first. Had to re-read it a few times to get the latest on it.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
What on fucking earth is holding this country together? Every fucking direction you look and you see disarray and mismanagement on something so fucking simple to tackle.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
My mom is a nurse and more than once had to yell at people becuse they would use the vaccine fridge for food and then not close it all the way thus ruining all the injections.

Not exactly like this situation but i just makes me think this happens alot

This would literally freeze their food though... most vaccine fridges are in the negatives...

You're thinking of the Pfizer vaccine which needs to be kept at -70C. The Moderna vaccine only has to be kept at -20C, or -4F, which is within the range of a regular-ass freezer.

Edit: Poster above me answered in more/better detail :)

Even fridges used for OTHER vaccines are still in the low negatives, makes no sense to put food in one if you were planning to eat it soon.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even fridges used for OTHER vaccines are still in the low negatives, makes no sense to put food in one if you were planning to eat it soon.
Well yah.

Nobody is saying this person took the vaccines out for their food as far ad I can tell. Just the one poster here sharing an anecdote from a parent that it happens with other medical fridges. Nothing really indicates it's the case here.

deathkiller

Apr 11, 2018

www.wisn.com

I think that is better if the OP/title quotes this. "Intentionally" leaves the reason ambiguous.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
There's incredibly stupid and selfish people out there and this clown definitely ranks high on that list. Firing should be the start of it... we're in the middle of a pandemic.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure why anyone here is trying to "what if" or cast doubt on the intentions of the criminal.
Because there was a statement in there somewhere that says they removed it to access something else, and also referring to "human error" as well as "purposefully sabotaged". It's been pretty unclear reporting, so it's unfair to criticise anyone here for wondering either way.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because there was a statement in there somewhere that says they removed it to access something else, and also referring to "human error". It's been pretty unclear reporting, so it's unfair to criticise anyone here for wondering either way.
Just feels people are trying really hard to be dense and make up hypothetical excuses for someone who just destroyed 500 potentially life saving doses of vaccine.

either way we should have more information soon.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Hypothetical excuses? Or just reading the words?

I think it comes down to 2 hypothetical situations:
1) The person is a selfish, lazy, idiot that removed the vaccines for their own selfish purposes such as making space in the fridge for their own thing and couldn't bother asking if it is okay to do so.
2) The person is a selfish, malicious, idiot that removed the vaccines for some selfish political purpose such as anti-vax, or believing covid is a conspiracy or caused by 5G.

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
HOW THE FUCK DO YOU WORK IN HEALTHCARE AND ARE ANTI-VACCINATION

SOMEONE EXPLAIN THIS SHIT
It just shows that the current education and training for healthcare workers are lacking. Immunology and infectious diseases are very low in the ranking, I read that the whole topic is done in a week within the current curriculum, whereas other topics have months of programs and exercices.

At this point, people doing stupid things like this is because it's America. I don't know if this is occurring in other countries because I would hope people elsewhere would have common sense.
Sorry to disappoint you, but it's really not much better. In my country, a significant amount of healthcare workers and doctors have dismissed the severity of the virus for months, were skeptical about the effectiveness of masks and cared more about the psychological well-being than the consequential social distancing. And the vaxx-skepticism is pretty high too. This has a huge impact on the public perception, because the people ask their doctors for advice.

The only reason those opinions are now less prominent in my news-paper is because of the severity of the second wave. That doesn't mean they have changed their perception though.