• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
NEW YORK (AP) — Vaccinated teachers and students don't need to wear masks inside school buildings, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Friday in relaxing its COVID-19 guidelines.

The changes come amid a national vaccination campaign in which children as young as 12 are eligible to get shots, as well as a general decline in COVID-19 hospitalizations and deaths.

"We're at a new point in the pandemic that we're all really excited about," and so it's time to update the guidance, said Erin Sauber-Schatz, who leads the CDC task force that prepares recommendations designed to keep Americans safe from COVID-19.

The nation's top public health agency is not advising schools to require shots for teachers and vaccine-eligible kids. And it's not offering guidance on how teachers can know which students are vaccinated or how parents will know which teachers are immunized.

The biggest questions will be at middle schools where some students are eligible for shots and others aren't. If sorting vaccinated and unvaccinated students proves too burdensome, administrators might choose to just keep a masking policy in place for everyone.

"The guidance is really written to allow flexibility at the local level," Sauber-Schatz said.

Indeed, in some of the nation's largest school districts, widespread mask-wearing is expected to continue this fall. In Detroit's public schools, everyone will be required to wear a mask unless everyone in the classroom has been vaccinated. Philadelphia will require all public school students and staff to wear masks inside buildings, even if they have been vaccinated. But masks won't be mandated in Houston schools.

apnews.com

Vaccinated teachers and students don't need masks, CDC says

U.S. health officials say vaccinated teachers and students don't need to wear masks inside school buildings.

What are your thoughts on these guidelines, parents and teachers of Era? Will your child still wear a mask if vaccinated?

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
i wish they'd write, "IF YOUR STATES VACCINE RATE IS ABOVE X" in huge bold letters printed across every article. Versus, just being more justification for morons to say "THE CDC SAYS ITS OK" when you're in a state with a 3% vaccine rate and a 100% freedoms rate.

My kids 4, hoping a vaccine hits before kindergarten next year. Will see how this variant works out for mask usage.

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus fuck CDC. This is beyond stupid. There will be unvaccinated kids not wearing masks. My kid is still too young to get vaccinated and I am not sure the vaccine will be approved for her age group before school starts. :/

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
I'm a teacher and I'll probably still wear a mask in the halls and while circulating and helping students in my classroom. I'll likely keep it off while I'm at my desk and front table though. I'm rarely at my desk or table to be honest lol.

For students, I'll highly suggest it but won't force it on them.

Edit: I should add I teach secondary school in an area that's highly vaccinated.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
It's been like that in TX since June 1st.

Although, I think TX also prohibits asking anyone if they are vaccinated (against this specific virus, while TX law requires vaccinations against other viruses the GOP didn't foolishly chose to politicize).

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Jesus fuck CDC. This is beyond stupid. There will be unvaccinated kids not wearing masks. My kid is still too young to get vaccinated and I am not sure the vaccine will be approved for her age group before school starts. :/

Exactly. All of these things neglect to highlight that children don't have a vaccination available to them. Only thing holding us back.

but, in all reality... America is just sick of masks. With or without Covid messaging.

Oct 29, 2017
I'm getting increasingly frustrated my the CDC's happy-go-lucky "NO NEED FOR MASKS IF YOU'RE VACCINATED HOORAY 👏👏🎉🎉😌" while continuing to merrily ignore reality where the vaccinated have to interact with unvaccinated people and there's virtually no way to know who is and who isn't.

They're not even providing any guidance for testing or verifying vaccination status. They're clearly done caring and want to punt responsibility as much as possible.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
Our district is still mandating masks. Curious to see if that changes now.

Of course my students are too young to get vaccinated (yet) so I'm fine continuing to wear one. Most of the younger kids were really good about it too.

My biggest hope is they do something to improve the desk shields that our kids had. For the little ones it made kids in the back it made it near impossible to see anything on the board.
Admin walked in one day wondering why everything I wrote was so high up on the board, until she bent over to answer a student's question, at which point the light bulb went off.

Oct 27, 2017
Agree with you all.

A lot can happen in a month. We'll see what happens. Here they had 3 feet distancing and could do it because a quarter to a third of the students were remote. As of now less than half the 12-15 are vaccinated. How's that going to work if everyone comes back in person?

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Kids shouldn't be allowed in school unless they're vaccinated period. If they have to provide proof of other vaccines before attending school, I don't see why this should be any different.

And we still don't know when the vaccine is going to be available for the 2-12 age group. I get that the transmission rate among children is very low, but this just seems irresponsible.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What's the opposite of antivax, but like, acting like everything's completely fixed and back to normal, and a vaccine's all you need? Vax proselytism?

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
This thread is going very differently to the "follow the science" mob of the other one. I can't believe you all don't believe in vaccines.

It is extremely worrying that not only the CDC but a number of health authorities globally are just throwing caution to the wind and putting trust in citizens to do the right thing, especially when kids do not have access to vaccines yet. I truly hope this doesn't backfire but I don't have high hopes, considering how wrong a number of authorities have gotten it over the course of the pandemic. All this risk over a damn mask, I get that it is an inconvenience but it's such a small thing in the big scheme of impact this pandemic has had on everyone.

HaL64

Nov 3, 2017
Kids over 12 can get vaccinated everywhere. Is this who they are referring to?
It does seem slightly irresponsible to not include that info. We don't want little Tommy to transmit Covid to little Jane and then give it to their anti-vax grandma.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Kids shouldn't be allowed in school unless they're vaccinated period. If they have to provide proof of other vaccines before attending school, I don't see why this should be any different.

And we still don't know when the vaccine is going to be available for the 2-12 age group. I get that the transmission rate among children is very low, but this just seems irresponsible.

Even for other vaccines, I don't think you can bar a kid from going to school if they don't get the vaccine, they just have to have some kind of valid reason. But they absolutely should keep on file who has it and who doesn't.

But yeah, I'm assuming most kids go back to school (hopefully masked for the younger ones) but I fully expect all the social distancing to be completely thrown out the window because it's not like the schools magically expanded.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California

I think it's because the vaccines aren't formally approved, so they can't force people to get them.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Even for other vaccines, I don't think you can bar a kid from going to school if they don't get the vaccine, they just have to have some kind of valid reason. But they absolutely should keep on file who has it and who doesn't.

But yeah, I'm assuming most kids go back to school (hopefully masked for the younger ones) but I fully expect all the social distancing to be completely thrown out the window because it's not like the schools magically expanded.

For other vaccines, I'm pretty sure it depends on the state and or school district. But they can absolutely bar your child from entering school if they don't get the required vaccine unless they are given a religious or personal belief exception. I know that my child's daycare requires immunization before they can start.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
I think it's because the vaccines aren't formally approved, so they can't force people to get them.
You can't get a vaccine without it being approved for given age groups. There isn't a single child globally that is vaccinated in the 2-11 age group, unless they're part of clinical trials.

Given that there is crossover with school ages among those eligible and ineligible for vaccination, this guidance is unbelievably reckless.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
For other vaccines, I'm pretty sure it depends on the state and or school district. But they can absolutely bar your child from entering school if they don't get the required vaccine unless they are given a religious or personal belief exception.

Well, that's what I meant by "valid reason." I'd think personal belief exception covers a wide gamut of things and it's just on the person to be convincing when putting it in writing (and not just saying "because I don't feel like it.")

But point taken that it's not officially approved. I'd think that would come (for the over 12 at least) soon though, right?

transience

Found the ultimate water hazard
Oct 27, 2017
Seems odd that we're saying that we need booster shots to increase immunity while also saying we don't need masks. I'm just not sure where we are at this point and who to hear the loudest.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Well, that's what I meant by "valid reason." I'd think personal belief exception covers a wide gamut of things and it's just on the person to be convincing when putting it in writing (and not just saying "because I don't feel like it.")

But point taken that it's not officially approved. I'd think that would come (for the over 12 at least) soon though, right?

I would think so. But my problem lies with the 2-11 age group that can't get it, and you're exposing them in middle schools to those who aren't vaccinated and won't wear masks.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Seems odd that we're saying that we need booster shots to increase immunity while also saying we don't need masks. I'm just not sure where we are at this point and who to hear the loudest.
July 8, 2021

Joint CDC and FDA Statement on Vaccine Boosters

The United States is fortunate to have highly effective vaccines that are widely available for those aged 12 and up. People who are fully vaccinated are protected from severe disease and death, including from the variants currently circulating in the country such as Delta. People who are not vaccinated remain at risk. Virtually all COVID-19 hospitalizations and deaths are among those who are unvaccinated. We encourage Americans who have not yet been vaccinated to get vaccinated as soon as possible to protect themselves and their community.

Americans who have been fully vaccinated do not need a booster shot at this time. FDA, CDC, and NIH are engaged in a science-based, rigorous process to consider whether or when a booster might be necessary. This process takes into account laboratory data, clinical trial data, and cohort data – which can include data from specific pharmaceutical companies, but does not rely on those data exclusively. We continue to review any new data as it becomes available and will keep the public informed. We are prepared for booster doses if and when the science demonstrates that they are needed.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I would think so. But my problem lies with the 2-11 age group that can't get it, and you're exposing them in middle schools to those who aren't vaccinated and won't wear masks.

To me, if you have a rule that the unvaccinated have to wear masks, if you allow unvaccinated older kids in, you make them wear masks and abide by guidelines that the vaccinated don't have to. I'm pretty sure the school can demand to know vaccine status without running into trouble, but who knows?

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
This thread is going very differently to the "follow the science" mob of the other one. I can't believe you all don't believe in vaccines.

It is extremely worrying that not only the CDC but a number of health authorities globally are just throwing caution to the wind and putting trust in citizens to do the right thing, especially when kids do not have access to vaccines yet. I truly hope this doesn't backfire but I don't have high hopes, considering how wrong a number of authorities have gotten it over the course of the pandemic. All this risk over a damn mask, I get that it is an inconvenience but it's such a small thing in the big scheme of impact this pandemic has had on everyone.

Trusting science, you're giving more hosts to a deadly virus, nation wide, that include states with very low vaccination rates. and entire children populations that dont even have a vaccine. So it can continue to push out variants.

The CDC is 100% correct. If YOU are vaccinated. You, have 0 worries. How that then translates to, "eh its up to the states." that have proven to be fucking morons, and no more masks! is just such an obscene leap. However, as ill always say. We had about 1 year in us wearing masks. With or without the words from the CDC, this was going to be the outcome. Americans, at least for OP, we aren't about that unity/sacrifice for the neighbors/good of the country. Unless we're blowing up the wrong country in the middle east, or at a sporting event.

My wife said no to offering up our 4yo for the trials, so just waiting for that to drop. I just feel horrible for the thousands of people that are going to die of this because we can't force people to wear masks during a pandemic. I also feel bad that we can't just wear a mask to prevent hospital burdens/ promote good habits anyway. Covid isn't going to be the last virus we have to deal with. Its going to be groundhogs day all over when that time comes.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
To me, if you have a rule that the unvaccinated have to wear masks, if you allow unvaccinated older kids in, you make them wear masks and abide by guidelines that the vaccinated don't have to. I'm pretty sure the school can demand to know vaccine status without running into trouble, but who knows?
Masks work best when everyone wears them.

charmeleon

Oct 25, 2017
Lol. The CDC just keeps giving great recommendations! I wonder how long until they get rid of masks on planes.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of the surrounding counties have already settled on mask optional (which, you know how that will end up going) for schools. There's been protests about "letting our kids breathe" and "letting kids be kids". So I'm fairly positive I know which way my kids school corporation is going to go. Which is beyond infuriating because their school is K-5 where literally no one by the time school starts in a month will be able to be vaccinated.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
They really should get the vaccine approved for ages 2+ before recommending this. Then again, the CDC is science based and we've been trusting them since March 2020 so let's not turn on them now

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
i wish they'd write, "IF YOUR STATES VACCINE RATE IS ABOVE X" in huge bold letters printed across every article. Versus, just being more justification for morons to say "THE CDC SAYS ITS OK" when you're in a state with a 3% vaccine rate and a 100% freedoms rate.

My kids 4, hoping a vaccine hits before kindergarten next year. Will see how this variant works out for mask usage.

This. Fucking this. My 5 year old starts kindergarten in September and this shit is freaking me the fuck out. There is absolutely no fucking reason that remote learning can't continue at least until a vaccine for the little ones is available.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
This guidance comes after someone furiously punched numbers into a calculator to figure out the acceptable number of dead kids.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
and im sure some effort will be put into making sure people are actually vaccinated right?....right?

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Another thing is this fucking "Masks optional" bullshit? Why the fuck even bother saying anything at all? No shit if I want to wear a mask I'm allowed to....

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
This guidance comes after someone furiously punched numbers into a calculator to figure out the acceptable number of dead kids.

Even if the kids don't die everyone is spouting the bullshit of how kids aren't seriously affected but no one, not a fucking one, ever mentions the long term effects of CV despite having mild to no symptoms

Oct 30, 2017
We have so many mandatory vaccinations students have to have prior to starting public school in California.

If and when they finally get approval for younger children to get covid vaccinations, I really hope they push this it mandatory as well.

Even the hard R office staff I work with don't play around when it comes to antivaxxers.

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, doesn't it already line up with the "vaccinated people" guidelines? My kid is in elementary school, so they'll all still be wearing masks next month.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, doesn't it already line up with the "vaccinated people" guidelines? My kid is in elementary school, so they'll all still be wearing masks next month.
What part of the country are you in? I envy your confidence that your school corporation will make the smart decision (unless you mean specifically your kid will be wearing a mask for sure).

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Unfortunately that doesn't hold true for middle schools or more rural schools that may be K-12. It's bad guidance because there is no guarantee of separation, not to mention the social impacts of such guidance (ie bullying) among those who may be in the 11-12 age group.

Oct 29, 2017
They really should get the vaccine approved for ages 2+ before recommending this. Then again, the CDC is science based and we've been trusting them since March 2020 so let's not turn on them now

Guidance on lockdowns last year when there were no vaccines available is fundamentally a different problem than guidance on resuming activity on partially vaccinated populations.

It's not that the CDC's statements are scientifically unsound, it's that the science they present is increasingly merely academic in nature and not at all grounded on the reality in front of us. It's like if vehicle safety regulators start saying "well let's assume tires have no friction in this problem, this material's probably fine". It's useless guidance if it refuses to acknowledge real-world complications. They refuse to meaningfully engage with the very real scenarios of unvaccinated populations of indeterminate proportions and are making no comment on verifying vaccination status or what to do for students younger than 12 without access to the vaccines. All we hear from the CDC now are textbook scenarios where we assume we can know everyone's status, or assume everyone in the same room is vaccinated, and frankly that's not helping anybody. At this point it seems like the CDC is only in conversation with itself.

I wouldn't go as far as saying "the CDC's been politicized", but there's a clear unwillingness by the most recent CDC "guidance" releases to take any position erring on the side of restricting activity, which is in stark contrast to last year when they very much were doing that. Pointing out that clear change in the CDC's attitude is not "turning on them now".

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

this is a highly irresponsible recommendation given the obvious fact that a bunch of unvaccinated kids will not be wearing masks.

Even if the kids don't die everyone is spouting the bullshit of how kids aren't seriously affected but no one, not a fucking one, ever mentions the long term effects of CV despite having mild to no symptoms

this right here. But I would also like to add that while most kids do fine, there is still a percentage of kids that do get very sick and have some serious complications and life long disabilities because of it. I certain my don't want to put my kid at risk because of some other assholes. :/

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I was hoping they would have the vaccine for my 5 year old before he starts kindergarten, but that's not happening. So sounds like mask time for him, which is a bummer. He was at a preschool last year and the kids did not wear masks (though the adults did), so it'll be a weird flip of that if the kids wear masks but the adults don't.

Here's hoping they can clear the vaccine for younger children and maybe in the second half of the year, masks could be more optional.