• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nyrad

Oct 27, 2017
Travelers of Era, I need your help.

Last year it so happened that I visited Hawaii for the first time, in particular Big Island. I was there for a little over a week and almost a year later I still think about the absolute breathtaking nature I got to experience.

The reason why I made this thread in the first place is because I'm looking for recommendations for a future holiday that can compete with the beauty of Big Island.

My first choice would be to go back and check out other Hawaiian Islands like Maui and Kauai but I'm actually from Mainland Europe so the flights last year were long. Theres also the faint thought that one should see more different places in the short time that we have on this beautiful planet.

MrFreeze

Oct 13, 2019
Keeping an eye on this thread because my fiancee and I are planning to go to Hawaii for our honeymoon. The islands look beautiful, but also seems to be very expensive (food, accommodation, etc.).

Jun 20, 2018
I've only been to Hawaii once, and it's definitely the place I'd want to go back to more than anywhere. I think the fact it's so hard/expensive to get to from the UK that makes it so unlikely to go back again.

Won

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on what one understands as beautiful.

In general I would always recommend Japan. Lots of different amazing views, mostly easily accesible by public transport. Did Yakushima a bit over a year ago and that is gonna stick with me.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Tahiti. Bora Bora and Moorea where pretty amazing. South Pacific.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
Hawaii is overrated and not good value (had the pleasure of living there for 5 years). I had more fun around Phuket and Bali.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
Hawaii is indeed beautiful, but it's the kind of place you can still go to when you're 80 years old and enjoy a Mai Tai by the beach.
Do the adventuring while you are young and able.

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Travelers of Era, I need your help.

Last year it so happened that I visited Hawaii for the first time, in particular Big Island. I was there for a little over a week and almost a year later I still think about the absolute breathtaking nature I got to experience.

The reason why I made this thread in the first place is because I'm looking for recommendations for a future holiday that can compete with the beauty of Big Island.

My first choice would be to go back and check out other Hawaiian Islands like Maui and Kauai but I'm actually from Mainland Europe so the flights last year were long. Theres also the faint thought that one should see more different places in the short time that we have on this beautiful planet.

We did 2 weeks in Hawaii in 2017, 1 week in Kauai and 1 in Maui.

The difference between the two is STARK. Kauai was like visiting a remote jungle that had one major road while Maui had a Walmart. Both beautiful but we both said if we ever go back it's to Kauai only.

Keeping an eye on this thread because my fiancee and I are planning to go to Hawaii for our honeymoon. The islands look beautiful, but also seems to be very expensive (food, accommodation, etc.).

It can be pricey but AirBnB is the way to go, you get way more space (we had an entire house on the side of Haleakala in Maui for roughly the same price as a hotel room would have been at one of the resorts) and you can shop for groceries and eat at home to save quite a bit.

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
Switzerland

village-Alpine-valley-canton-Saint-Moritz-Engadin.jpg

1*hf_TMSMdWm0Q5H59_t8jSg.jpeg

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
Depends on your idea of beautiful. I'm not as big on island type stuff and more prefer mountainous regions.
You can't beat the Swiss Alps.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
Im sure there are places much more beautiful, however it was the Vibe, the general feel of the place, the entire package that makes Hawaii so special.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Is this a serious question?

Belize is more beautiful, cheaper and definitely not tourist hell.

Barbados is prettier but probably as expensive and definitely has tourist traps.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
My wife and I went to Maui and Kauai for our honeymoon and — yeah, it's paradise. We'll definitely go back at some point.

Frester

Oct 25, 2017
Hawaii is particularly great as an American because it's easy. Don't need a passport, same language and currency, lots of direct flights.

But, there are lots of other great places out there, some of which are similar if what you think of as "paradise" is an island and/or a beach.

OP
OP
Nyrad

Nyrad

Oct 27, 2017
I loved Hawaii but I thought both the Maldives and Bora Bora were more beautiful.

Since a lot of people here recommended Bora Bora and the Maldives i definitly will look into that! The pictures look beautiful, as i'm looking for lush nature and an Island feeling.

Depends on your idea of beautiful. I'm not as big on island type stuff and more prefer mountainous regions.
You can't beat the Swiss Alps.

I'm from Austria so the Alps are a beautiful but common destination to visit with the Family.

Hawaii is indeed beautiful, but it's the kind of place you can still go to when you're 80 years old and enjoy a Mai Tai by the beach.
Do the adventuring while you are young and able.

I don't see myself taking an 20+ hour flight at that Age but i get what you mean. It's probably easier when you're flying from Mainland U.S. to Oahu.

Is this a serious question?
Belize is more beautiful, cheaper and definitely not tourist hell.
Barbados is prettier but probably as expensive and definitely has tourist traps.

Of course its a serious question. I didn't get any tourist hell feelings on Big Island though. It may be different on the other Islands?
-

Thank you for your suggestions, i will definitely check out the places that everyone suggested here. Hawaii continues to be the MVP though.
To sum up the mentions in this Thread so far:

Hawaii with 4 mentions
Maldives comes in as a close second with 3 suggestions
Bora Bora and Switzerland are tied with 2 shout outs ;)

Other destinations mentioned are:

Palau, Croatia, Iceland, Barbados, Yakusima, Tahiti, Maurea, Azores, Madeira, New Zealand, Conzumel, Phuket, Bali and Belize.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Hawai'i certainly is stunning. We went for the first time last year and spent time on Maui and the Big Island. The Big Island especially had so many varying climates, terrains, beaches, etc. that we could barely wrap our heads around it. When we went, we couldn't get up to Manua Kea, but that road through there to Hilo was like driving on a different planet. Hard to describe and we'll definitely be back.

But I know there are many locations across the world that are probably just as, if not more, stunning than that.

And yeah, Big Island does not have that tourist trap feel. Sure a town like Kona might, but that's easy to avoid. Tons of small towns/shops, and wilderness to get away if desired. Not a traditional tourist trap location. You can go to Wakiki for that.

Last edited:

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
The Big Island is definitely the jam when it comes to Hawaii. It's real Hawaii, not Los Angeles on an Island like Maui and Oahu.

Growing up, I used to live part-time in Kona.

Swig

Oct 28, 2017
We did 2 weeks in Hawaii in 2017, 1 week in Kauai and 1 in Maui.

The difference between the two is STARK. Kauai was like visiting a remote jungle that had one major road while Maui had a Walmart. Both beautiful but we both said if we ever go back it's to Kauai only.

Not that I disgree with you, but Kauai has a Walmart, too. :P

Swig

Oct 28, 2017
It's not tropical, but I'm going to throw out Iceland. It's beautiful and, at times, otherworldly.

Oct 25, 2017
Big Island is easily one of the greatest places in the world to visit. Gotta love being able to snowboard and surf in the same day.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to go to Hawaii it's just so damn expensive. WE thought about it for our honeymoon but we were mostly broke after the wedding (not really broke, but we were pinching pennies). Now with a baby it seems really hard. Maybe when she's 11 or 12 or something.

I like the beauty of islands, but I think Hawaii also has a lot of diverse landscapes too.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
New Zealand was incredible, South Island is mountains, north island is rolling hills, both gorgeous.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
It can't be much nicer than Hawaii.

I didn't like Oahu but we have been to Maui and Big Island and it was paradise (to us).

Also really loved Turks and Caicos but I have not traveled to enough places to say what is the most beautiful.

OP
OP
Nyrad

Nyrad

Oct 27, 2017
Tahiti. Bora Bora and Moorea where pretty amazing. South Pacific.

Thank you for those suggestions.
After researching all the places mentioned in the thread so far these three are really in the running for the most beautiful vacation spots on earth, maybe even more beautiful than Hawaii! I didn't even look at the flight prices yet but im expecting the worst since i literally could not travel farther away from home than tahiti ;).

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Correct order :

1. Big Island - not even my favorite but landscape variety and Volcano National Park - same place: Town, paradise, jungle, desert, snow, hot springs, snorkeling, international cuisine, resort sloth, surfing, solitude, busyness, science, history, architecture, language, culture, no bugs or snakes or bears.
3. kauai - omg everything is beautiful
4. Oahu - proper international city and much of the above
5. Maui - quiet most of the above but no cities and family friendly. Road to Hana overrated but the stops are worth it. Don't go if you're not stopping or shit
6. Molokai - great, cheap, no direct flights and yes you might actually encounter racism from locals although 95%of people are lovely
7. Lanai - cool if you're extremely rich and only like four seasons

Method

Oct 25, 2017
Hawaii is just so beautiful. Been to kauai, big island, Maui, and Oahu. Food is fresh as hell, so many things to do and all the direct flights now just make it so easy. It's amazing. We are going in May to kauai (my favorite island).

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Go to Maui or Kaui if you can afford it, it's a different experience from the big island. My family goes to Maui every couple of years and I never get tired of it. Do the Haleakala sunrise drive. Pack a warm coat for it.

Last edited:

Ahhthe90s

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The only other place that got close to Maui for me was Martinique. What an absolutely stunning island, beautiful top to bottom.

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
The Azores. It's called the Hawaii of the Atlantic. I honeymooned there. There are 9 islands. Flores legit is the most beautiful place on the planet. Waterfalls all over the place that you can just drive up to, park, and jump in. Sao Miguel is beautiful as well. It's also super affordable.
flores-island-azores-things-to-do-poco-ribeira-ferreiro-alagoinha-1024x768.jpg

Last edited:

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Maldives destroy Hawaii. I actually visited Hawaii for the first time about a month after my honeymoon in the Maldives. The Hawaiian water was so murky compared to the Maldivian stuff that I might as well have just gone to a beach in LA.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Not sure what you are looking for, but Azores, Madeira, certain parts & parks of Croatia.

Or save up a bit and check out Patagonia (Argentina/Chile)

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Montenegro seems stunning, like walking into a fairytale. Haven't been myself, but friends of mine visited and only had great things to say. The pictures are also gorgeous.

Phoony17

Oct 27, 2017
Narangba, AUS
New Zealand. South Island is just breathtaking. Not too many places you can stand on a beach, turn away from the ocean and look at snow capped mountains.

Oct 27, 2017
Going to the Maldives on Thursday so will report back.

Until then, I'd +1 the Fiji nomination. It's absolutely stunning.

dhlt25

Oct 27, 2017
Maldives destroy Hawaii. I actually visited Hawaii for the first time about a month after my honeymoon in the Maldives. The Hawaiian water was so murky compared to the Maldivian stuff that I might as well have just gone to a beach in LA.
what no way lol, hawaiian beaches are pristine. You must have been here after a rainy spell

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
Croatia/Slovenia/Bosnia combo. Coast, Mostar, Kravice waterfalls, Plitvice, lake bled/vintar gorge, caves. That's not even everything. Could add Montenegro too.

Last edited:

MrWhiskers

Oct 27, 2017
My wife and I had our honeymoon in Hawaii. Stayed in Oahu for a few days then did a cruise to all of the other islands ending with a sail along the na Pali coast. The whole trip just blew me away and I still get choked up when I see videos of it.

Good thread though. We're in a spot of we can't imagine anything being more amazing than Hawaii but it seems people have suggestions!