• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh boy I never realized this is also coming for Switch. Going to double dip since I never finished it before. Really cool game, narrative focused stuff like this and Phoenix Wright are great for portable play.

halcali

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hong Kong SAR
This game is kinda lame, despite some great hooks.

I'm really looking forward to the sequel/prequel, since that aesthetic is more up my alley.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I generally really liked Va11-Hall-A but this weird "SJW" joke felt out of place and put a bad taste in my mouth

XSiJpYF.jpg

723wdnS.jpg

In a game that is otherwise really progressive and inclusive, it seemed like a really weird bit of commentary that didn't fit.

I recall people getting frustrated at the PC game because it made reference to 'SJWs'. Does the game contain many bad takes like this?

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Finally get the chance to buy, the premise sounds so good to pass up and I've been waiting for a PS4 release ever since I heard of the Vita version.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I recall people getting frustrated at the PC game because it made reference to 'SJWs'. Does the game contain many bad takes like this?
I don't recall specifics because I played the game when it was first released, but there were at least two or three conversations which felt out of place like that one, and some of the writing is just… not great I thought. I seem to remember thinking that it was a bit immature with the way it handled some subjects.
That's not what the overall tone of the game is like, and to some extent it fits the game because it's that asshole customer you don't want anything to do with. I generally disliked Donovan as a character and didn't think he redeemed himself. There will probably be at least one character like that for most people I think.

I still enjoyed my time with the game overall, but the few conversations like that one hurt the experience a bit. It's a 12 hour game and that's really only a small part of it though. I just wish it had gone through another editing pass so that it could go from something that I recommend with a little bit of caution, to something I could recommend to anyone.
I still think back on it fondly -and the soundtrack definitely plays a huge role in that- but the specifics are a bit fuzzy now since it was almost three years ago.

Nov 4, 2017
Discovered this game after Pixel Grotto tweeted about how good the soundtrack is. Still haven't played it but felt like a place i've never visted before felt so... familiar. I'll finally pick this up on PS4!

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I don't recall specifics because I played the game when it was first released, but there were at least two or three conversations which felt out of place like that one, and some of the writing is just… not great I thought. I seem to remember thinking that it was a bit immature with the way it handled some subjects.
That's not what the overall tone of the game is like, and to some extent it fits the game because it's that asshole customer you don't want anything to do with. I generally disliked Donovan as a character and didn't think he redeemed himself. There will probably be at least one character like that for most people I think.

I still enjoyed my time with the game overall, but the few conversations like that one hurt the experience a bit. It's a 12 hour game and that's really only a small part of it though. I just wish it had gone through another editing pass so that it could go from something that I recommend with a little bit of caution, to something I could recommend to anyone.
I still think back on it fondly -and the soundtrack definitely plays a huge role in that- but the specifics are a bit fuzzy now since it was almost three years ago.
That really helps a lot. I'll temper my expectations and think about picking this up.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
To be clear, I really did enjoy the majority of the game - I think it has some really memorable characters and a solid character arc for the main protagonist. Every once in a while there's an awkward/bad exchange like the one I posted (and a few hamfisted jokes that really don't fit) but it's not prominent. I would still definitely recommend it, just be aware the writing is occasionally amateurish at spots.

Deleted member 4375

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone picking the game up today on either platform? I'm going to give it a shot later today on my PS4.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is one of the best-written games I have ever played. People own to themselves to play this if you want awesome characters and some deep themes.

Also, you are a bartender. Some of the customers will invariably be pieces of shit that make your job hell. I dont understand the mentality of "if a character says something awful in a game, then that's the creator's vision".

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Man, I remember waiting for this on Vita to play. How's it run on Switch? Shoooould be stable right?

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's up with the PS4 version? I can't sync up any trophies and the error code it gives out apparently doesn't exist.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As I walk through the valley of the PS's OS.
I take a look at my list, and realize there's nothing left
Cause I've been playing and bartending so long
Didn't even realize that the trophies were gone

Now I didn't get any, that I think I didn't deserve it
Trophy list not syncinc, you know that's unheard of
You better watch how you're playin', and how they are updatin'
Or you might get so angry, you're just gonna cool down with a walk

I really hate to trip, but I see they haven't unlocked
I hope they eventually all do, while I'm sippin a Coke
Fool, i'm the kinda gamer lil' noobies wanna be like
On my knees in the night, wishing I instead had a Sprite

Been living most our lives
Livin' in this trophies paradise

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Been waiting for the Switch version since it was announced, grabbing it for $5 (after throwing the coins I've been saving up at it). :)

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
i'm gonna get it on switch. been waiting for this to replay it. it's just a funny chill game. if you haven't played it don't let the graphics/art style put you off.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
So apparently the Switch version features MIXING DRINKS WITH JOY-CONS?

SOLD! (Waiting for physical release!)

Talk about that H D R U M B L E!

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Replaying on switch. How the hell did I not put 2 and 2 together on that first augmented eye article about a cyborg in heels chopping shit up, directed by Quinton Hayter, and Jill mentioning rules of nature... I love this game so much!

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still trying to figure out if I will enjoy the story in this or not

is it a bunch of forgettable small stories with a larger central story?

is it one central story that involves and connects with all the people you talk to?

Is there no central story at all and just a lot of small stories?

Oct 27, 2017

is it one central story that involves and connects with all the people you talk to?

It's a bunch of individual character stories that sometimes intersect, along with outside events and world building either illustrated through character interactions or just told second hand. You're mostly either at work, or browsing news through your phone at home.

I recommend it! The setting is well realized, the characters are varied and endearing, and (for me) it's kinda funny how they integrated silly anime tropes and played them completely straight. The character stories are generally small in scale and stakes (shit does go down, however) but aren't forgettable.

Deleted member 1656

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal

It's episodic in a sense, but it's all in the service of a unified narrative and themes. There's a central plot involving a main cast, but there are a significant number of characters inconsequential to it directly. Think of its format kind of like an RPG: there's you and your party whom the main quests center around, but usually there are also a lot of side characters you spend time with. Your party in Valhalla is your co-workers and regular patrons, and the side quests are your new visitors and irregulars.