• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Igor

Oct 31, 2017
So after over a year of getting it, I finally finished Turok 1 on Switch. Despite obnoxious last two levels and having to turn on infinite ammo half way through level 7 in order not to sour this game on me forever, I have to say - it is very up there among some of my favourite games ever.

The labyrinthine levels and scanning each for the keys and pieces of chronosceptre was so much fun - some of the mid game stages like the Ruins or Ancient City are among some of my favourites - It's like a Castlevania FPS on speed, or a really tasty mash up of Doom and Metroid Prime, before Prime even happened. I know it is a remaster but this is still a very impressive game after all these years and feels in some aspects really fresh - N64 games seem to age the best out of its generation. It is hard to believe that some of these animations and physics are from that era as well. Levels are also huge and while I am aware that it was covered originally in fog in order to run at all - it's still quite a feat. It runs so smooth on Switch and nowadays looks like it could be an indie release with an aesthetic.

There are some issues throughout and it is mostly because of then hardware limitations like checkpoints that turn platforming, especially in level 7 into an absolute nightmare. Level designers also had a penchant for corridor mazes which are some of the poorest and most boring levels I have seen in gaming. It's like a Final Fantasy late game tower, except in a form of an FPS. Otherwise, when the punishment is negligible like in bonus courses, the platforming is actually quite fun and again, last time I enjoyed jumping in first person was Metroid Prime actually. I didn't mind missing reticle in the game and helped myself with the map when I wanted cheap takedowns but the severe gasping for ammo in later levels made the gameplay progressively feel like a chore. In the final level, though I wish they could spread some of the ideas they packed into it (and there was A LOT of ideas in that stage which altogether kind of overstayed its welcome) across the rest of the game which by and large featured rather samey environments, the only gun that was actually viable to use was pulse rifle that incidentally had no ammo drops. Instead the game kept throwing grenades like a candy at you which, in maze like corridors and dubious collision detection made for quick death from your own blasts and cheap enemy placements.

I don't know if it's a game I can easily recommend to anyone, but at the best of times its exploration and general vibe was amazing and felt like a proto-Metroid Prime. What a game.

What to expect from Turok 2? It looks like the game overall features tighter level design (if less sprawling, platformer like) and better gunplay - does it have issues with fighting for ammo as well? People seem to be two minds about it.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
I found Turok too slow paced and labyrinthine to my liking, platforming and checkpoints are as you said quite infuriating. Ammo scarce af, and maybe it's just me but the game speed feels off. Have Turok 2 on pc and stutters like a bitch, maybe switch is better?

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I have yet to beat either game without resorting to cheats at some point. Their design always bothered me even back in the day and despite them being dinosaur games, I vastly prefer Turok Evolution no matter how "wrong" that might be since it just isn't a hard time to get through. But when Turok (1 or 2) is going smoothly, it's a good time.

@OP I think you might run into trouble on the bosses in Turok 2, they seemed harder than the ones in the 1st.

I still want to play 3 at some point. I hear that despite the lack of Dinosaurs that one is great but sadly no PC port.

I found Turok too slow paced and labyrinthine to my liking, platforming and checkpoints are as you said quite infuriating. Ammo scarce af, and maybe it's just me but the game speed feels off. Have Turok 2 on pc and stutters like a bitch, maybe switch is better?

I have 1 and 2 on Switch. They play just fine on there.

The FuzzPig

Oct 31, 2017
I really enjoyed Turok when I played it on switch last year. I would have loved it when I was younger so I'm kicking myself for never playing it on the N64.
I did think Turok 2 wasnt as good, though I still enjoyed it and completed it.
Ammo is still pretty scares, I remember having to change guns frequently due to ammo.
They also seem to have changed how hits register? For some enemy's it would sometimes take more hits than other times to kill them? It might have just been me being a idiot or something.
As for the levels themselves at least two of them are corridor mazes worse than turok 1's though I didnt think the others where that bad.
But having said all that I did still enjoy and complete the game, just not as much as the first one.
Speaking of which is there any other fps like doom and turok on the switch anyone would recommend, as I dont normally play the genre but did really enjoy them when I played them all last year.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Turok 2 "solves" the ammo issue by having a few ammo respawn points scattered throughout the levels. They'll look just look like any other ammo pickup, but if any of your weapons aren't fully topped up, it'll respawn more ammo of a type you need after a few seconds. So if you pick up some ammo then hear a weird sound effect as you're walking away, recheck that spot... it might be a respawn point, and you can and should take advantage of them to fully top up your ammo.

There are also checkpoint stations (save points in the original N64 version) throughout the levels that have the option to fully replenish your ammo, but it's single use per checkpoint.

And yeah, Turok 2's a significant leap across the board... better level design, better weapons, better enemies. It is a slightly slower paced game compared to the first Turok though since there aren't constantly respawning enemies to encourage you to keep moving... some enemies will respawn, but only if you leave an area then return.

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
Turok 1-2 are some of my absolute favorites.

Turok 3 is worth a play. But was a bit too ambitious.

Rage Wars is some of the most fun local multi I've ever had.

Evolutions is good for fans.

Turok 2008, is actually good, just not exactly want from a Turok game.

calloumiii

Sep 14, 2018
I played Turok 1 and 2 on switch earlier this year and had a great time. While in some aspects I preferred the first, I have to say overall that the second is a better game.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
It certainly has that maze-like "where the hell am I and where the hell am I supposed to be?" 90s FPS design. It's right up there with Hexen in that regard.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The sense of speed of the first Turok is so damn good.

I do agree that levels are sometimes too complicated and boring for their own good.

King Dodongo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The enemy variety, big jumps as well as great levels and music made Turok stand out. Great game.
Level 7 (lost world) was/is definitely my favorite.

OP
OP
Igor

Igor

Oct 31, 2017
Weirdly I didn't get notifications for replies to my own thread, oops

Yes when Turok 1 goes smoothly it is sooo much fun. I think respawning enemies to pick up on pace are great until later levels where they become nuisance.

Turok 2 "solves" the ammo issue by having a few ammo respawn points scattered throughout the levels. They'll look just look like any other ammo pickup, but if any of your weapons aren't fully topped up, it'll respawn more ammo of a type you need after a few seconds. So if you pick up some ammo then hear a weird sound effect as you're walking away, recheck that spot... it might be a respawn point, and you can and should take advantage of them to fully top up your ammo.

There are also checkpoint stations (save points in the original N64 version) throughout the levels that have the option to fully replenish your ammo, but it's single use per checkpoint.

And yeah, Turok 2's a significant leap across the board... better level design, better weapons, better enemies. It is a slightly slower paced game compared to the first Turok though since there aren't constantly respawning enemies to encourage you to keep moving... some enemies will respawn, but only if you leave an area then return.

This sounds what it looked liked to me from videos. I do not mind slower pace if the game has more QoL improvements. I really liked more 90s AAA vibe to the levels as well so I will definitely check it out.

I have yet to beat either game without resorting to cheats at some point. Their design always bothered me even back in the day and despite them being dinosaur games, I vastly prefer Turok Evolution no matter how "wrong" that might be since it just isn't a hard time to get through. But when Turok (1 or 2) is going smoothly, it's a good time.

@OP I think you might run into trouble on the bosses in Turok 2, they seemed harder than the ones in the 1st.

I still want to play 3 at some point. I hear that despite the lack of Dinosaurs that one is great but sadly no PC port.

I have 1 and 2 on Switch. They play just fine on there.

Yeah I don't think I'll bother beating the game without, especially having good few retro FPS games on the console waiting to be beaten. I did find Turok to be frustrating from the design perspective because the shortcomings the game have almost make seem some of its successes almost accidental. 3 I only heard bad things about but when someone described it "it tries to be half life so hard" I knew I really need to check it out. Did Nightdive announce or hinted at porting that one over? I saw somewhere they reposted a video of that YouTuber from modding community dumping the master cartridge of the game (which is why I found out the third one even existed, I had no idea the series had that many games. Evolution I kinda want to try as well. I was never into dinosaurs as a kid but I am reallly, uh, feeling them lately.

It certainly has that maze-like "where the hell am I and where the hell am I supposed to be?" 90s FPS design. It's right up there with Hexen in that regard.

Yeahh normally that drives me insane in games but maybe it is a map charting or maybe it is the fact the levels have a quite a bit of verticality to them that makes it so fun for me. I found every piece of the keys and chronosceptre first time playing.

ChunkyChowder

Oct 25, 2017
This game's entire premise is like something out a 12 year old's notebook doodle and I love it for that. It still has the most badass box art I've ever seen for a videogame.

I don't know if it's a game I can easily recommend to anyone, but at the best of times its exploration and general vibe was amazing and felt like a proto-Metroid Prime. What a game.

It basically is a proto-Metroid Prime considering several key Iguana staff members went on to form Retro Studios.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo - Brazil
It basically is a proto-Metroid Prime considering several key Iguana staff members went on to form Retro Studios.

This is a very cool info. I wouldn't go as far as say I got a proto-Metroid vibe from either Turok, but there were a few design choices that reminded me of Metroid. Stuff that feels they dson't really "belong" in an FPS (but in fact do) and are there because of a different background from the developers before making a shooter.

ChunkyChowder

Oct 25, 2017
This is a very cool info. I wouldn't go as far as say I got a proto-Metroid vibe from either Turok, but there were a few design choices that reminded me of Metroid. Stuff that feels they dson't really "belong" in an FPS (but in fact do) and are there because of a different background from the developers before making a shooter.

Yeah it had a very different vibe. it kind of feels like a fusion between Quake and Mario 64 if that makes sense.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I played through and beat this game on the N64 so many times (along with its sequels).

I wonder how it would feel, control wise, if I tried to do it again now.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo - Brazil
Yeah it had a very different vibe. it kind of feels like a fusion between Quake and Mario 64 if that makes sense.

That makes perfect sense and it's a nice way to put it.

What I feel Turok missed is in terms of gunplay, enemy design and bosses. Then you get Turok 2 which kept basically everything good about the first one but adds fantastic enemies, great gunplay and weapons and excellent bosses.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Turok 2 levels are more diverse and level design tighter. I finished both without cheats back then and think that 2 is harder. But recently I replayed the remasters and it was not that hard due to qol improvements such as the save system.

Regarding ammo, Turok 2 has ammo spawning point that gives you the one you miss so that's solved.

Turok 2 is the superior game in my opinion. It has better levels, better bosses, better weapons and even in game cutscenes which explain some of the story. Turok 1 has some old school charm to it but is more fun with cheats. The sequel does not require cheats to enjoy it as it is more structured. Turok 2 is even closer to Metroid Prime than Turok 1.

By the way you know that part of the team that worked on Turok 1 and 2 are now at Retro hence the Prime inspiration.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo - Brazil
Turok 2 levels are more diverse and level design tighter. I finished both without cheats back then and think that 2 is harder. But recently I replayed the remasters and it was not that hard due to qol improvements such as the save system.

Regarding ammo, Turok 2 has ammo spawning point that gives you the one you miss so that's solved.

Turok 2 is the superior game in my opinion. It has better levels, better bosses, better weapons and even in game cutscenes which explain some of the story. Turok 1 has some old school charm to it but is more fun with cheats. The sequel does not require cheats to enjoy it as it is more structured. Turok 2 is even closer to Metroid Prime than Turok 1.

By the way you know that part of the team that worked on Turok 1 and 2 are now at Retro hence the Prime inspiration.

I played Turok on the N64, but Turok 2 only on PC. I think it's a game changer... not only on the technical side, but this is a game that requires precise aiming and rewards the player for that. In fact it requires more precision than most modern FPSs.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I played through and beat this game on the N64 so many times (along with its sequels).

I wonder how it would feel, control wise, if I tried to do it again now.
The controls have been tweaked in the remasters to function like modern fps. No more moving forward with c-up and joystick to look. Thinking about it, that is weird to me today lol

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I played Turok on the N64, but Turok 2 only on PC. I think it's a game changer... not only on the technical side, but this is a game that requires precise aiming and rewards the player for that. In fact it requires more precision than most modern FPSs.
I remember trying to install the pc version bac then but never managed to make it work. I so wanted to play it there.

Turok 2 is one of my favorite games of all time. Some of the weapons are so unique. I believe It inspired a lot of fps later to go crazy with weapon designs such as Prey (original), Resistance and so on. I miss fps games with non traditional weapons. The last one I played was probably Singularity with the ball you could control.

Turok 3 was weird and too dark for me. It felt like a downgrade from 2. I dont think it was made by the same team either.

Turok Evolution was such a disapointment. I bought it at launch and was so hyped before release.

I never played the Turok reboot as it just looked like a generic military shooter to me which was a big turn off and does not fit the franchise.

Enough rambling, I just love Turok. I hope one day NightDive releases a remaster of Power Slave/Exhumed, another favorite of mine.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo - Brazil
I remember trying to install the pc version bac then but never managed to make it work. I so wanted to play it there.

Turok 2 is one of my favorite games of all time. Some of the weapons are so unique. I believe It inspired a lot of fps later to go crazy with weapon designs such as Prey (original), Resistance and so on. I miss fps games with non traditional weapons. The last one I played was probably Singularity with the ball you could control.

Turok 3 was weird and too dark for me. It felt like a downgrade from 2. I dont think it was made by the same team either.

Turok Evolution was such a disapointment. I bought it at launch and was so hyped before release.

I never played the Turok reboot as it just looked like a generic military shooter to me which was a big turn off and does not fit the franchise.

Enough rambling, I just love Turok. I hope one day NightDive releases a remaster of Power Slave/Exhumed, another favorite of mine.

I played the Nightdive remasters for both Turok games and they are excellent. And yeah, Turok 2 has some crazy ideas with its weapons, if I'm not mistaken some enemies would react simply by looking at what gun you were carrying.

God now I'm feeling sad because of No One Lives Forever...

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I played the Nightdive remasters for both Turok games and they are excellent. And yeah, Turok 2 has some crazy ideas with its weapons, if I'm not mistaken some enemies would react simply by looking at what gun you were carrying.

God now I'm feeling sad because of No One Lives Forever...
Turok 2 had some nice details in it. Like you can make enemies fight each other but it's rare to happen. I think there's an achievement in the xbox remaster for that. Also some enemies can turn invisible and wave at you before doing that. Depending on how you kill some enemies, their death animation was different. The game was very ambitious for its time. There was nothing like it especially on consoles.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo - Brazil
Turok 2 had some nice details in it. Like you can make enemies fight each other but it's rare to happen. I think there's an achievement in the xbox remaster for that. Also some enemies can turn invisible and wave at you before doing that. Depending on how you kill some enemies, their death animation was different. The game was very ambitious for its time. There was nothing like it especially on consoles.

I wonder how much that was lost in the N64 version... I did not play it on the system but I saw some videos on youtube and it feels like a game shacked by the limitations of the time, that tried stuff way beyond what was expected. And all those qualities can shine now, and they do shine brightly.

And yes, the intros are awesome!

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
I didn't mind missing reticle
Options->Gameplay->Hud Options (in fact I could swear we made this the default on Switch)
0224b6b7f6.jpg

Last edited:

Biteren

Oct 29, 2017
its a great game, i used to play the n64 version and a few years back played the EX version.

im still patiently waiting for the PS4 release.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Igor

Igor

Oct 31, 2017
Options->Gameplay->Hud Options (in fact I could swear we made this the default on Switch)
0224b6b7f6.jpg
OMG yes I remember now I disabled it because I liked how it played without. And the map marker was convenient way of bring it back up whenever I needed to. Thanks for clarifying! And excellent job on the remaster!

Now where is news about bringing the third one over! (And the multiplayer patch for 2 x)

This game's entire premise is like something out a 12 year old's notebook doodle and I love it for that. It still has the most badass box art I've ever seen for a videogame.

Yes I saw Dark1x mention it in his Turok analysis but didn't know the extent of their involvement in Retro. That is really cool. And makes sense, I really feel Turok scratched my Metroid Prime itch the way Nintendo hasn't in 3 years now for me.

Oh yes. Power Slave looks amazing. How did this game not found its way to me as a kid way back when is a tragedy. I would try the psone version but Psone games somehow feel really clunky to play these days, more so than N64 games.