• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should Sony use this as the final design?

• Yes, it is amazing

Votes: 125 8.3%
  • Absolutely, what a masterpiece

Votes: 213 14.1%
  • Needs more Cerny

Votes: 535 35.5%
  • RIP PS5

Votes: 633 42.0%

• Total voters

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
Sony took the PS4 noise complaints seriously and went with maximum cooling performance in mind.

Feb 8, 2018
This is incredibly ugly.
Assuming this is a real dev kit. (And even if it's that, I do not believe the final design will look like it as mentioned earlier)

1. We haven't seen it besides drawn concepts, and may never get to see it in our entire lifes.
2.They could still get something out of this design with a good colour like black/silver.
3.Looks different when you look at it with your own eyes.

Last edited:

Revan Ren

Jan 11, 2018
So V will be implemented into the design? Could be neat like the Y shapes in Lamborghini's current design language.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like OP should make it clear that dev kit =/= retail hardware. In joking around, their post makes it sound like this has the potential to be on store shelves.

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Why do devkits have "foots" on the top? are they supposed to be stacked on top of eachother to work as servers?

This design makes sense if its to generate more airflow with stacked consoles.

Not servers, but people who work on multiplayer will have multiple kits on their desks to get two or more players in the same local session. You can get a co-worker to help if they're not using their kit for their own work and you can see their screen from where you sit, but you can't rely on that always being possible, therefore...

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
How much time, money and energy have they spent designing a dev kit! The Sony hubris could be on PS3 level again. Worrying.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Is it normal for a dev kit to be this overdesigned? I cant think of any like that, but I'm not an expert. Hard to believe this is anything that is actually out in the wild.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Not servers, but people who work on multiplayer will have multiple kits on their desks to get two or more players in the same local session. You can get a co-worker to help if they're not using their kit for their own work and you can see their screen from where you sit, but you can't rely on that always being possible, therefore...
Yeah, that makes sense. Thanks.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Is it normal for a dev kit to be this overdesigned? I cant think of any like that, but I'm not an expert. Hard to believe this is anything that is actually out in the wild.
Before release, they usually look like one of two things: a plain computer tower with console branding, or an early evolution of the final consumer hardware. Or in Nintendo's case, a plain box full of electronics.

dumbo11

Apr 29, 2018
How much time, money and energy have they spent designing a dev kit! The Sony hubris could be on PS3 level again. Worrying.

The devkit case would have 'interesting' noise/cooling characteristics. It is possible that the design is intended to replicate the airflow of the final case (if not the appearance).

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
The devkit case would have 'interesting' noise/cooling characteristics. It is possible that the design is intended to replicate the airflow of the final case (if not the appearance).
That's fair. I imagine we'll see the box before the end of the year. The most important thing for me is the noise. I hate playing on my pro

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I wonder if they are actually calling it Playstation V, I just remembered this trademark from Sony

"PSV" would look much cooler, but I think it's too close to "PSVita", so Sony will probably stick with the PS5 moniker. Either way, it'll still be referred to as the "PlayStation 5", most likely.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
That is one of those hideous designs that will always be brought up in future threads like the Nitnendo win button and PS3 banana controllers.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017

Dev kits are normally fairly non-descript boxes.

However this has features found on other PS4 dev kits - e.g. various debug buttons and lights on the front. Outside of the unusual design on top, it looks very Playstation dev kit-esque.

I don't think that design on top is just for adornment or aesthetics. I'd guess it's serving on airflow purpose. I don't think there'd be such a conspicuous design element in a dev kit 'just because'.

Sony would not put anything out the door that looks like that.

For a dev kit? Sure they would. The PS4 dev kits aren't exactly prize peaches from an aesthetics point of view. Aesthetics is not the point for a dev kit.

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
It's going to be a Beast again, isnt it

rn6Wd3c.png

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Please for the love of God don't call it PlayStation V!

I appreciate its 5 in roman numerals but just stick to 5 and don't try any fuckery with your naming convention. That's the main thing that killed the Vita because anyone who wasn't following the industry had no idea there was a PSP2 out.

As for the design, I will hold my tongue since it seems to be the dev kit version and ultimately it doesn't matter since what it does is more importance but that is not a sexy machine which is what I have come to expect from Sony consoles. Hell, even the wife calls the 60gb PS3 a sexy beast.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
It's hideous but actually a pretty smart design from a cooling perspective in a media centre environment. The major issue sitting on a shelf is the limited depth, width wise most shelves have more than enough clearance to ensure hot air is effectively removed. Suck in air from the centre, have the SoC cooler ejected on one side and PSU on the other. It would drastically reduce operational temps.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Dev kits are normally fairly non-descript boxes.

However this has features found on other PS4 dev kits - e.g. various debug buttons and lights on the front. Outside of the unusual design on top, it looks very Playstation dev kit-esque.

I don't think that design on top is just for adornment or aesthetics. I'd guess it's serving on airflow purpose. I don't think there'd be such a conspicuous design element in a dev kit 'just because'.
Depends on if the Sony engineers were just having a bit of fun, or if this is just some scrapped/concept design. I mean it seems bizarre that a dev kit would need this kind of venting system, even if it were running hot. It would be more practical to downclock the chipset or stick water cooling in the unit, until better chips were ready.

Weird stuff.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
That's a devkit. There's no way they'd dare try to put that on store shelves unless Ken's back in the building. The thing looks like it would've been a scrapped prototype for the original Xbox.

That said, it'd be fun if they did try to sell this, just for the outrage.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they are actually calling it Playstation V, I just remembered this trademark from Sony
CJ4JX4FZVCC523YA2TMALSKFLHUHEZJY2S7RVIIKSR26ZP5R7OUFMR7UNSBD5JSL4TTWOPCUMGRIG

Probably best to clarify this before it gets any notoriety again. This trademark has nothing to do with Sony, it belongs to Vodafone. The reason people associated this at the time with SIE was because it was originally filled by a company and a representative that had filled trademarks for Sony in the past. It wasnt a good indication then and proved to be unrelated to Sony since.