• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 8, 2017
I didn't really anticipate much from this one... The first two were really solid and I remember "Viral" being forgettable trash, but Shudder has a way of embracing horror properties and giving them a chance to shine again.

'94 is a lot of fun! The 90's camera aesthetic works REALLY well, it doesn't take itself too seriously, it's extremely gory, the practical effects are pretty good (although the low budget means that it has some of the worst CG I have ever seen, but it's kind of charming here).

Of the stories, the first one is easily the weakest, but it's still servicable as an opener. I'm not sure what I think about the wraparound "story", but the middle two sections are up there with V/H/S 2. It's never a particularly scary movie, but it does do "gnarly" pretty well, which, given the time period setting, works for me!

Anyone else check it out yet?

Last edited:

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
I watched the first segment this morning. That rat thing is fuuuuuuucked.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
If Joe Bob shows it on Friday, I'll end up watching.

Otherwise, probably not. I didn't like part 1 at all.

RichardHawk

Feb 7, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
Went to the west coast premier of it on Monday and had a blast. There was a Q&A after that was a great time as well. I think this is the first VHS where I enjoyed every segment.

beelzebozo

Oct 26, 2017
the guy who directed Safe Haven (one of them) also directed ABCs of Death's L is for Libido and i definitely recommend that fucked up segment

Joshua

Oct 27, 2017
I like when horror is fun. Like the frat guys thinking that exorcism was a haunted house attraction in the first movie, I thought that was a blast.

Would you consider any of the segments in VHS 94 to be "fun"?

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
I'm excited for this. I liked 1 and 2 a lot, and hated Viral, so a return to form is exactly what i hoped for.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Oh didn't know about this, loved the first VHS. Sad to hear it's not taking itself seriously though if it's like a parody thing

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
It was so so, the skits are all over the place in quality. The whole bookend stuff with the SWAT team was major cringe. Also CG effects, woof

SpoonSpatula

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't think they'd be able to pull it off after Viral - really happy that they did. Enjoyed the militia and crazy scientist segments. The funeral home segment had potential, but floundered (I'm a sucker for any stuck-alone-in-a-room-with-a-dead-body stories though).

The overarching SWAT team story, however, was all over the place and a letdown.

FrsDvl

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I didn't care for it that much. Miles better than Viral, for sure. But the only part that was really good was the one by Timo Tjahjanto.

2 is still king

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
It's 95% horror shovelware, but sometimes you're just in the mood for that.
I dunno if that's fair. Syfy Channel's old Asylum stuff was crap shovelware and it's much better than that. A couple of the Shudder originals like Blood Quantum and the Vampire flick on the boat (name escapes me) weren't bad. BQ was actually good. Shudder is also good for low key horror documentaries, too. It's worth the cost if you dig horror. Feels like the place that something like The Void would be perfectly at home on (although, ironically, I don't think it's there!).

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
I dunno if that's fair. Syfy Channel's old Asylum stuff was crap shovelware and it's much better than that. A couple of the Shudder originals like Blood Quantum and the Vampire flick on the boat (name escapes me) weren't bad. BQ was actually good. Shudder is also good for low key horror documentaries, too. It's worth the cost if you dig horror. Feels like the place that something like The Void would be perfectly at home on (although, ironically, I don't think it's there!).
It's also only $5, or a little bit more when included with AMC+.

Jeffolation

Oct 30, 2017
Went in without blind hoping for some good shorts, ended up really enjoying this. Really, only the wrap around story with the SWAT team could have been better fleshed out.

Haven't seen any of the other VHS movies, worth checking out? I just subscribed to shutter.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Need a first person game just like that. Was I the only one who got Suffering vibes (if y'all remember that) from that? In terms of weird body horror…

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I've never seen a V/H/S movie/show but I just saw a trailer and it looks right up my alley.

It looks like they are kind of a self contained thing even within each movie but should I start from the first movie or can I jump right into V/H/S 94?

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
The connecting story was lame but the rest were pretty good.
This. It reminds me of SyFy Channel original movies from the 00s (back when the channel was SciFi Channel). Horrible acting, horrible dialog. Everybody's screaming and saying unrealistic shit. The rest is pretty good. If I rate this series based on the number of segments I liked as opposed to the segments I disliked, this is probably my second favorite after the first VHS. VHS2's third (I disliked the eye segment and the alien abduction segment). VHS Viral's pure trash.

JAT

Oct 27, 2017
I've never seen a V/H/S movie/show but I just saw a trailer and it looks right up my alley.

It looks like they are kind of a self contained thing even within each movie but should I start from the first movie or can I jump right into V/H/S 94?

You can watch them in any order, none of the segments are connected. 1 2 and 94 are good.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Just subbed to Shudder just to throw this into my Halloween rotation. May end up watching it tonight.

Grenchel

Oct 27, 2017
The swat segment is such a bad wrapper for these stories. The acting was atrocious at the end.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
The part where we're watching obviously high-definition, 16:9 ratio footage on a supposed VHS tape kinda takes me out of it, ya know?

I really liked the last segment though.

Also people dogging on VHS: Viral are right to do so except for Parallel Monsters, which is probably my favorite short in the entire series.

apstyl

Oct 25, 2017
The connective tissue segments are always so weird and tend to miss the mark. The shorts themselves are solid, but the SWAT stuff is a swing and a miss.

BloodRayne

Jul 3, 2020
This was great! It certainly is the most consistent of the series. The Subject was amazing, Storm Drain was awesome and I really liked The Empty Wake and Terror.

Safe Haven is still top tier.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Watched it last week and thought it was easily the best of the VHS movies. Absolutely loved it, with some incredible monster designs. Really great stuff.

gaugebozo

Oct 25, 2017
The acting by the swat guys is sooooooooo bad, like holy shit do another take.
Fl3B5k11NDY61AGuMNhmbyImee0=.gif

Haven't seen this yet, going to check it out tonight!

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
I just watched this and didn't have a good time with it. The first (second?) tape was enjoyable and pretty good imo because it was creepy and unsettling all the way through, but then the wake one was a glorified youtube prank, and the remaining two were to gore-y for me. I had no idea V/H/S movies went into that territory so I had to stop watching at some points. Third tape was just disgusting.

The acting at the end, though... served this:
1e1L.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Finished watching it, this was a fun one. As other have said, the shorts are cool although the framing wraparound is bad (but that is unimportant).
I really like horror in this format. Come up with a fun premise, play with it and get out. Short and sweet, no overexplaining. If they keep making these I will keep watching them.

The cyborg scientist was my favorite, it jumps right in and gets crazy from the first moment.
The zombie funeral was probably my least favorite. You spend practically its entire runtime waiting for it to start and once it does it's already over.

Last edited: