• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Have they made any changes to the bosses that you kill when playing as V but when you play as Virgil? I don't mind V that much but would quite happily play as Vergil for his chapters in future.

FlashbladeERA

Oct 27, 2017
Disagree.
I actually liked the slight difference in gameplay since these games have played roughly the same for years+

ashm

Oct 26, 2017
  • V is much less fun gameplay-wise compared to Nero and Dante.
  • DMC5 is a better game because of what V offers to gameplay.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I really like his gameplay. I wouldn't want an entire game with him, but doing cool stuff with a summoner in an action game was cool, I enjoyed his missions well enough.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He was interesting at first to play with, but got very tiresome very quickly

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
  • V is much less fun gameplay-wise compared to Nero and Dante.
  • DMC5 is a better game because of what V offers to gameplay.
Good post. Fully agree.

I also think the thread title is kind of an interesting innuendo. It is true that V is the worst character in DMCV, and that he is less interesting than Dante and Nero from a gameplay perspective. He simply does not have as many tools or options in most situations. But he is not the worst controlling character action game character nor the one with the worst gameplay.

Like, if we're being charitable and not counting Musou games as action games, we still have Lucia and Dante from DMC2 for pointlessly poor action gameplay. We have Mad World, and FromSoft's Ninja Blade. There are plenty of worse action game characters that play worse and are less coherently and holistically designed than V.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I found him a lot better to play than Dante with his 800 weapons, of which like three were actually good. He was also the person I did the best with score wise so yeah, I loved him. The hate for him and his playstyle is weird to me.

Thread title is also some insane hyperbole. You really must not play a lot of action games if you think V is the worst out of all of them.

Oct 27, 2017
You make no sense. I can create a topic to vent and still have a discussion around the issues with the game. That isn't going to change my mind about the character because at the end of the day when I go play the game, the character will still be shit.

Also this topic isn't about asking people to come and change my mind.

When your thread title is talking about all action games, the discussion will inevitably involve people talking about how V's not the worst character in an action game when compared to other action games (like say, Yaiba). The poster you responded to was saying that V wasn't the worst in all of action games, and your response was "nope" without a rebuttal and then you shut down further discussion? Like you didn't even ask for other examples? lol

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I found him a lot better to play than Dante with his 800 weapons, of which like three were actually good. He was also the person I did the best with score wise so yeah, I loved him. The hate for him and his playstyle is weird to me.

Thread title is also some insane hyperbole. You really must not play a lot of action games if you think V is the worst out of all of them.

It helps that the style gauge requirements for high style rankings are just generally way more generous with V than they are with either of the other two. The devs clearly knew it was harder to be actually cool with him so they adjusted how style points work for V to make it much easier to get S and higher rankings.

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017
I agree his summons should have been buffed a little for DMD, as they would die too easily. But otherwise hard, but respectfully, disagree there. Loved playing as him because of how fresh and unique he felt. But I also think The Wonderful 101 is Platinums best game despite its flaws so it's possibly I'm also broken in some way.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
A low point in an otherwise fantastic DMC. It needed extra tools and far better inputs. There are for sure worse characters in the genre, it's just a shame he's not as succesfully done as his counterparts. At least, he was an original take among the familiar sights of Dante and Nero.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Im surprised more people werent up in arms about him at the launch of the game.
As I was playing through it I was so perplexed anyone though we needed this in Devil May Cry.
Utter trash and I wouldnt willingly ever play as him.

OGlol

Jun 4, 2018
I understand what they were trying to accomplish with V but I really didn't have fun with his sections. He was very mash friendly and you could clear most things with an S/SS rank by just mashing the controller.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Im surprised more people werent up in arms about him at the launch of the game.
As I was playing through it I was so perplexed anyone though we needed this in Devil May Cry.
Utter trash and I wouldnt willingly ever play as him.

I still can't believe how many loading barriers there are just to playing a single stage in DMCV. Like the loads are extremely long and there are SO MANY. The game literally puts roadblocks in front of you to play it, which makes replays an absolute chore.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
He was my least favourite but i didnt mind him. Its a shame the special edition didnt give him more options as every fight you are basically do the same shit all the time and on the harder difficulties nightmare is the only way to do any good damage

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all are wack. V is so fucking good. When you figure out how to combo well with him. Just commanding your shadow creatures while your spouting dramatic poetry is immensely satisfying.

He isn't a slashy slashy sword guy though so a lot of people don't know what to do with him. You cannot just button mash with V and expect to have a good time his gameplay takes a bit of thoughtfulness and strategy but he can absolutely be one of the most flashy and satisfying people to play with in the game.

Oct 28, 2017
V is a mixed bag.
The way he fights is very unique. My problem is how much you have to rely on chance to do combos and could have some moves that do more damage, becuse on harder difficulties it gets a chore to fight behemots or similar demons.
With him it's more about being aware of positions rather than actively manipulating the arena during fights.

PettySpirit

Dec 23, 2018
V is definitely the least fun character to play in DMCV, without question. But that's hardly a knock to him. IMO, V stands as a character that's a pretty fun time. The problem is, ever other character in that game is the best version of themselves to appear in the franchise, and the possible best characters to ever be playable in an action game, mechanically speaking.

pochi

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I wish V's gameplay was something more.
I think Platinum's Astral Chains did it better with the summoner archetype gameplay.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I think his concept was really good, the issue is that he's brand new while Dante and Nero largely carried over their movesets from previous games in addition to their new abilities so they end up having a lot more options than him.

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Won't lie, I haven't played V ever since the DMC5 Co-op Trainer has been available. It all comes down to two major issues:

1.) Shadow's attacks sometimes feeling like they're being interpreted more as suggestions than actual commands. Some of this could easily be remedied by making Shadow's side dodge less penalizing either by cutting the recovery frames after the attack or having Shadow return to his original spot after the dodge.

2.) V not having very much to do himself. They sort of tease at the idea with Royal Fork, but V really needed to have his own stand alone kit. I don't want the guy popping off high times and stingers, but he should've very much been doing the Dormammu thing from MVC; constantly buffering spell charges as he's playing keep away and letting his minions do the work so he can cash in on large battlefield spell effects. Things like rapid fire judgment cuts, full-screen quicksilver, large Hellfire pillars on himself, and some SDT-equivalent special moves and finishers.

/he's still a better playing character than Trish and Lady though.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
Awww I really enjoy him. The adjustment between switching can be a little annoying tho.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Won't lie, I haven't played V ever since the DMC5 Co-op Trainer has been available. It all comes down to two major issues:

1.) Shadow's attacks sometimes feeling like they're being interpreted more as suggestions than actual commands. Some of this could easily be remedied by making Shadow's side dodge less penalizing either by cutting the recovery frames after the attack or having Shadow return to his original spot after the dodge.

2.) V not having very much to do himself. They sort of tease at the idea with Royal Fork, but V really needed to have his own stand alone kit. I don't want the guy popping off high times and stingers, but he should've very much been doing the Dormammu thing from MVC; constantly buffering spell charges as he's playing keep away and letting his minions do the work so he can cash in on large battlefield spell effects. Things like rapid fire judgment cuts, full-screen quicksilver, large Hellfire pillars on himself, and some SDT-equivalent special moves and finishers.

V not being able to set traps for setups is the biggest fuck up in his design

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Couldn't agree more OP. Always felt a sense of disappointment when getting to another V section. The gameplay just wasn't satisfying at all.

Nana&Popo

May 6, 2018
Being forced to play as V made me stop my DMD playthough. He's just so boring! Good thing I can now just play as vergil instead.

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Honestly think he just needs a bit more development, the ability to ride ALL his summons, easier area-of-effect and maybe the ability to detonate any one summon for big damage. His mobility and speed is awful even with the bird jump but he IMO is so achingly close to being a blast to play as.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
I bought the game on PS4 and beat it there. Then I bought the game on PC and haven't bothered finishing it yet because I dread playing as V every god damn time there's a mission with him and don't play the game for months on end. He's fucking horrible. The Sonic Unleashed Werehog of Character Action games. Even Rachel in Ninja Gaiden Sigma is better.

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
Abstracting directional input to a separate entity in an action game didn't feel great. Getting the beasts to do what I wanted them to sometimes felt like a chore.

krossj

Dec 4, 2017
the gameplay during his sections made me stop playing relatively early, other gameplay was good and it was not much to do with the character but those sections were just not fun on a mechanics level.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Nah bruh, he's fun. Just very different.

I hope he's available in future DMC games with more summons and improved controls.

Love playing as V

But man did i HATE playing as Nero.....i hate the arm mechanic.
It adds insane variety and loads of specialized combat tools though. Very interesting way to enhance Nero's combat abilities without straying from his core weapon set.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Also the COMPLETE lack of feedback on hits. Like when Dante and Nero hit things you know you hit them. With V half the time you have no actual confirmation that you're doing damage, which isn't helped by the fact that each individual attack is so weak that even when it does connect it's negligible.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
It was kind of like being a mage in an action game. I kind of enjoyed the passive play.

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
He's alright, he's just trapped in two of the most satisfying characters to control ever so he's at a severe disadvantage.

He kind of hampers the games replayability but not much more than all the puzzles and exploration in 3 and 4's everything. Still would pick up DMC5 and replay it any day over the majority of action titles.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Nah bruh, he's fun. Just very different.

I hope he's available in future DMC games with more summons and improved controls.

It adds insane variety and loads of specialized combat tools though. Very interesting way to enhance Nero's combat abilities without straying from his core weapon set.

I'm a more simple kind of player when it comes to DMC.....so having that much kind of turned me away from Nero and just rushed through his sections.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
V is fine in like Normal difficulty and maybe Son of Sparda. But I don't know how anyone could enjoy using him on DMD. Everything takes so fucking long to kill even when optimizing your damage.