• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Coupled with this… they def shot more than 1 kid and them cutting off their participation in the investigation just means they're trying their best to start hiding shit, but the feds have been on the ground since the start.

the feds (border patrol) were the people who killed and stopped the gunman. Cops did fuck all

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The cops 100% killed at least one of the kids themselves. Never been more certain of something in my life.
They issued a random statement out of nowhere that "to their knowledge" they didn't shoot a kid. And it was big "not involved in human traffic" tshirt energy

they absolutely shot a kid

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
These cops fucked up so bad that their incompetence has sucked up all the air of this horrific tragedy.

19 kids and 2 teachers dead in the worse mass shooting in Texas and the third worse in all of the US.

Thousands of pro-gun reform protestors outnumbering the NRA conference attendees.

Texas lawmakers are getting boo'ed and called out in public for their non-action.

But all we see now is how much these cops fucked up.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that they tased and cuffed parents who were willing to rescue their kids is starting to make much more sense.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
These cops fucked up so bad that their incompetence has sucked up all the air of this horrific tragedy.

19 kids and 3 teachers dead in the worse mass shooting in Texas and the third worse in all of the US.

Thousands of pro-gun reform protestors outnumbering the NRA conference attendees.

Texas lawmakers are getting boo'ed and called out in public for their non-action.

But all we see now is how much these cops fucked up.

I said it before but I'm surprised they haven't tried to throw guns under the bus. "We were scared for our lives because these guns are freaking dangerous, let's get them off the streets."

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
It was obvious from day 1 that the police narrative was full of holes. Truly sad. I hope the investigation is thorough and truthful.

olubode

Oct 28, 2017
Its' getting to the point that where non-Uvalde police are going to be saying TCAB (them cops are bad).

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
That entire police force should be fired and jailed, then replaced with people with an above 50 IQ who might actually do the job, and more money put into mental health response teams.

NetMapel

Oct 25, 2017
Feels a bit like missing the forest for the trees here. The focus on whether some door was locked or not properly seems misplaced in my mind. Many things went wrong in this tragedy and it'd be wildly irresponsible to place the blame on the teachers and/or doors.

OP
OP
ElectricBlanketFire

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Feels a bit like missing the forest for the trees here. The focus on whether some door was locked or not properly seems misplaced in my mind. Many things went wrong in this tragedy and it'd be wildly irresponsible to place the blame on the teachers and/or doors.
I agree it shouldn't be the focus. However, like I said in the main thread, it absolutely matters to the investigation in terms of the police's attempted cover-up.

It also matters to the innocent teacher that could have had her life absolutely destroyed.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
I think this is newsworthy not as a reason for the tragedy but as public vindication for the teacher who, while not outright named, was publicly blamed for letting the gunman into the school.

The press put out, by broadcasting and reprinting the police departments statement so the press owes it to the public, and the teacher specifically, to correct the record.

Plus, it shows the police lied which on another thing which the public will add to the other piles of lies and take this into account when that department makes other statements.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018

It shouldn't be the focus.

It is becoming the focus because it's another thing in a long list of things the cops have lied about.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

The police added the propped door to the narrative in order the shift blame, away from themselves and towards a teacher.

the fact that it's been a juicy piece of red-meat for right wing conspiracy theorists is not lost on me.

Oct 25, 2017
I think this is newsworthy not as a reason for the tragedy but as public vindication for the teacher who, while not outright named, was publicly blamed for letting the gunman into the school.

The press put out, by broadcasting and reprinting the police departments statement so the press owes it to the public, and the teacher specifically, to correct the record.

Plus, it shows the police lied which on another thing which the public will add to the other piles of lies and take this into account when that department makes other statements.

Yup agree with this. Not sure why they would lie about it, or not just check the security footage first and see it wasn't propped open before throwing someone under the bus. They could still blame the school if they wanted shift it away from themselves.

It's a tricky subject because, an unlocked door is not at all why this tragedy happened. And pointing to it like it was the sole problem is ridiculous, but it should have been locked and why it wasn't is worth looking into. It doesn't do anyone any good now but as sad as it is, is something schools in America can't take for granted.

Goat Mimicry

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The whole "the cops must have shot a kid or 2" thing is really off putting. There's been no indication of that from anyone at this point, and everything points to them sitting around twiddling their thumbs while a massacre occurred.

Others have covered the statement already, but also keep in mind that they've already been shown to directly responsible for the death of at least one of the children. Had the cop not asked if anyone needed help while the shooter was still at large, the kid that responded would probably be alive. That cop is just as responsible for that kid's death as they would have been if they accidentally shot the kid.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
The whole "the cops must have shot a kid or 2" thing is really off putting. There's been no indication of that from anyone at this point, and everything points to them sitting around twiddling their thumbs while a massacre occurred.

The police, unprompted, said that all of the children were hit by the shooter. They've lied about literally everything else including throwing an innocent teacher under the bus.

Also, I want to clarify riotous' comment that they sat "around twiddling their thumbs." That's not quite correct. They did approach the shooter and some officers were even hit by gunfire. So they were in the building at some point before retreating after taking fire.

Did they return fire? How many rounds? Which rifles, what ammo? Because ballistics will be all over that room to check. We know the shooter was using 5.56 rounds.

V23

Oct 27, 2017
Be a teacher in America

- Overworked
- Underpaid
- Constant anxiety around the possibility of gun violence at your school
- A mass shooting actually occurs
- Many of your students are murdered
- Police go on national TV and blame you, at least in part, for the shooting. Turns out you didn't actually do anything wrong.

Apply now!

RiZ IV

Oct 27, 2017
This shooting has me so down that I can hardly function. I have two little kids and I have so much anxiety sending them to school.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm don't cops always like to say that not cooperating makes you look guilty as fuck?

they certainly do :) :) :) don't they :) :) :)

I'm assuming that if gunman shot through the locked door/glass whatever to gain access, it would've been mentioned already?

So much has been obscured already. Making assumptions based on good faith is a ship that sailed days ago.

City is run by Republicans, right? How long before the cops get a big fat raise for their bravery?

Not only that, but the cop that ran the operation was just sworn into the city council tonight. :)

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Cops are usually pretty good at covering shit up when they fuck up to keep their jobs but I feel like this PD fucked up so badly and they all not only need to be fired but need to relocate far far away.

How can you show your face in that town after this?

CrocM

Oct 25, 2017
Cops are usually pretty good at covering shit up when they fuck up to keep their jobs but I feel like this PD fucked up so badly and they all not only need to be fired but need to relocate far far away.

How can you show your face in that town after this?

How can this community move on when on top of losing these kids their police force is behaving like this? Just cancel the whole town and start fresh.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
Remember, were talking about a police force that has six cops total, including the town security guard. They will never love this down.

beat

Oct 28, 2017
The fact that they tased and cuffed parents who were willing to rescue their kids is starting to make much more sense.
One woman who got cuffed was cuffed by the feds. She got the help of local police to convince the feds to uncuff her.
Remember, were talking about a police force that has six cops total, including the town security guard. They will never love this down.
I thought I saw that pic from the PD's Facebook page had like nine people just in their SWAT team.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
One woman who got cuffed was cuffed by the feds. She got the help of local police to convince the feds to uncuff her.

I thought I saw that pic from the PD's Facebook page had like nine people just in their SWAT team.

I could be wrong. I saw a page from their website shared here.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I just saw an article that the school district is also no longer cooperating with the Texas Department of Public Safety. I get why the police aren't, but there wasn't any detail on why the school isn't now either. Anyone know what's going on with this?

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I just saw an article that the school district is also no longer cooperating with the Texas Department of Public Safety. I get why the police aren't, but there wasn't any detail on why the school isn't now either. Anyone know what's going on with this?

Maybe they can be held liable if the doors were actually unlocked because of the earlier ceremonies or something?

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
I missed whatever even started this. So what if a door was unlocked, or even open? It's a school, not a fortress. Why the fuck does a teacher need a lawyer to defend against an accusation about the state of a door?

This is pure insanity. And meanwhile, between defending this bullshit, and continued focus on the shitshow of a police response, we're once again sidelining the discussion of the only thing that would actually help: gun control.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017

School District Police. The town itself has a moderate sized police force.

School district police, not the entire school district.

Texas Rangers investigating the response to the shooting want to continue talking to Pete Arredondo, chief of police at Uvalde Consolidated Independent School District. But he hasn't answered a request made two days ago for a follow-up interview, according to two DPS spokespeople.

The Uvalde Consolidated Independent School District's police department and the Uvalde Police Department have otherwise been cooperating with the Rangers' investigation, DPS spokesperson Travis Considine said.​

www.ksat.com

Narratives, and blame, shift again as dysfunction engulfs shooting probe

The Texas Department of Public Safety said a local police chief had stopped cooperating. It also walked back a statement that a teacher had propped open a door used by the shooter to enter the school.

They're being encouraged to cooperate by their police union, though.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
So they are doing the " f your ability to question my actions" routine Trump and his party like to do?

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
I missed whatever even started this. So what if a door was unlocked, or even open? It's a school, not a fortress. Why the fuck does a teacher need a lawyer to defend against an accusation about the state of a door?
Why wouldn't you?

First off, from a liability standpoint the school's probably getting sued along with the police department. This is the United States and if a door was supposed to be locked and it wasn't or someone didn't follow the drills that's going to be used against them in a civil case.

Second, public opinion is important because blaming someone for facilitating the deaths of 19 children is dangerous. People get killed over shit like that, if you didn't do it and the police say you did do it, you need a lawyer to clear that shit up asap.

I'm somewhat reminded of that Swiss(I think) Air Traffic Controller that was on duty when two planes collided like 20 or 30 years ago. It was on that dude's watch, there's obviously some culpability, but, his employer was doing maintenance on one of the systems that gives heads up when two aircraft are on a collision course and the phone lines were jacked up and he was alone at the time and even though he caught the error and gave orders to one aircraft to correct the issue the 2nd aircraft followed their TCAS directions which led them straight into the other aircraft. It's totally possible another controller would have caught the two aircraft's intersection faster and issued guidance that would have separated them far enough apart that the tragedy never happened, the employee has *some* responsibility, but he also shouldn't have been hamstrung with downed equipment either. Regardless, one of the family members of someone killed in that collision caught up with him and killed him.

Obviously, the situation's not exactly the same here but if the official story given to the public is that you saw a gunman, panicked and left a door propped open and gave the gunman access to the school to save yourself, leading to the deaths of 21 people and I don't know how many wounded, it's not a total stretch to imagine some parent not in the right frame of mind holding you responsible for their child's death. Hell, even the police have requested security following the shooting so the police know exactly what can happen when someone's publicly believed to be responsible for the deaths of multiple children.

If the police are saying that you did that and you didn't, you sure as fuck better get a lawyer and force the public story to change, fast.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
It's almost like having a bunch of dumbass bullies who only give a shit about themselves as your arm of 'law and order' is less than fucking useless.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
4k4g0Q9.png

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I'm somewhat reminded of that Swiss(I think) Air Traffic Controller that was on duty when two planes collided like 20 or 30 years ago. It was on that dude's watch, there's obviously some culpability, but, his employer was doing maintenance on one of the systems that gives heads up when two aircraft are on a collision course and the phone lines were jacked up and he was alone at the time and even though he caught the error and gave orders to one aircraft to correct the issue the 2nd aircraft followed their TCAS directions which led them straight into the other aircraft. It's totally possible another controller would have caught the two aircraft's intersection faster and issued guidance that would have separated them far enough apart that the tragedy never happened, the employee has *some* responsibility, but he also shouldn't have been hamstrung with downed equipment either. Regardless, one of the family members of someone killed in that collision caught up with him and killed him.

And sadly, this air traffic controller was then killed by one father who has lost his entire family in the crash

Leafshield

Nov 22, 2019

This is pure insanity. And meanwhile, between defending this bullshit, and continued focus on the shitshow of a police response, we're once again sidelining the discussion of the only thing that would actually help: gun control.
Because if I were that teacher and someone had accused me of being partly responsible for facilitating a gunman getting into the school because of a door being open, and I knew I hadn't done it, I'd know that my entire reputation in my community, my future career, and even the safety of me and my family was on the line. Getting a lawyer to put together definitive proof that can be shown at any point in future to kill the accusation (if the police are going to keep implying it was them for years to come) is going to turn out to be a good move.

Yes, it's a distraction. It's also entirely rational and necessary on the teacher's part as everyone else scrambles to avoid blame.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Because if I were that teacher and someone had accused me of being partly responsible for facilitating a gunman getting into the school because of a door being open, and I knew I hadn't done it, I'd know that my entire reputation in my community, my future career, and even the safety of me and my family was on the line. Getting a lawyer to put together definitive proof that can be shown at any point in future to kill the accusation (if the police are going to keep implying it was them for years to come) is going to turn out to be a good move.

Yes, it's a distraction. It's also entirely rational and necessary on the teacher's part as everyone else scrambles to avoid blame.

I'm not saying the teacher shouldn't hire a lawyer. I'm saying it's ridiculous that he would need to. A teacher shouldn't be facing any accusation or responsibility for this. Teachers aren't security guards holding a fortress against attackers. This country is rotting from the core.

Leafshield

Nov 22, 2019
I'm not saying the teacher shouldn't hire a lawyer. I'm saying it's ridiculous that he would need to. A teacher shouldn't be facing any accusation or responsibility for this. Teachers aren't security guards holding a fortress against attackers. This country is rotting from the core.
Oh absolutely, I agree with you there. The idea that teachers should be constantly ready for a gunfight, packing a firearm and acting like soldiers defending a fort is such an irresponsible shift of focus by the people responsible for gun laws.