• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Metacritic (PS4) (76)
Metacritic (Vita) (??)
OpenCritic (78)

Digitally Downloaded (4.5/5):
With the release of Prelude to the Fallen, the core part of the franchise is now all fully (and formally) available in English, and that's a wonderful thing. I do hope that there's more to come in the future, as the unique aesthetics, thematic background, and design elements of the series make it both interesting and evocative, and after playing these games, they do kind of stick with you as something beautiful and memorable. I think back to the previous Utawarerumono games and they stand out as some of my favourite JRPGs this generation. I have no doubt that I will remember this one in the same way.

Noisy Pixel (8/10):
Utawarerumono: Prelude to the Fallen gives western players the missing piece to this almost 20-year-old story. The updated visuals and balance of narrative and battles creates an experience that's more approachable to new fans, but still true to the series. It was nice to play this entry in the west finally, and thankfully, it doesn't disappoint.

TheSixthAxis (8/10):
Utawarerumono: Prelude to the Fallen is yet another port of Utawarerumono for Japanese fans, but it's the first time in nearly 20 years that the first chapter of this iconic hybrid visual novel trilogy is playable in English. A unique world and unforgettable characters are at the heart of this game, but they're complemented by gorgeous artwork, addictive battles, and incredible music. It drags in the middle act, but once that final act ends and the credits roll, you'll barely remember the rough edges of this otherwise fantastic experience.

Gamer Escape (8/10):
So this one deserves a high rating. Because if it had a lot of stuff stacked against it and I still wound up really being sucked in at the end, I think more people should give this off-beat combination a try. For all its flaws, there's a beauty and warmth within that could be just as charming to you.

Just Push Start (4/5):
As a visual novel, Utawarerumono: Prelude to the Fallen is pretty good. It doesn't hit the heights of a masterpiece like Steins;Gate but it is engaging, interesting, and charming, all of which are more than enough to motivate you to find out what happens next. Dated designs and lackluster combat hold it back, especially if you just what to find out what happens next but are not enough to stop it. As long as you're willing to invest the time and effort to get to know these characters, it will be an experience that pays off in the end.

Video Chums (7.1/10):
Prelude to the Fallen is a solid introduction to the Utawarerumono universe so if simple SRPG battles and visual novels appeal to you then this is one game that you'll definitely want to play.

RPG Site (7/10):
It's certainly not the deepest Tactical RPG that I've played, nor the absolute best Visual Novel that I've read, but Utawarerumono: Prelude to the Fallen brings more than enough to the table to be worthy of your time. It may have taken entirely too long for the entire series to make its way over, but I'm glad that it has - and that more and more players will have the chance to start it. Utawarerumono is a great, charming series, and one that is more than deserving of a closer look. This remake might not stand the test of time quite as much as its sequels, but don't let that stop you from getting into the series - it's one that I can't recommend enough.

RPGamer (3.5/5):
Utawarerumono: Prelude to the Fallen is an ideal opportunity to get into the series and learn what it's all about. It won't be for all; those unable to deal with the slow pace of visual novels will get unstuck in the many events that try and build relationships at the expense of driving the plot, something that is almost omnipresent throughout both this game and the Mask duology. However, for those who enjoy winding down with a deep story and some enjoyable tactical combat, the game provides that in spades.

Spaziogames (6.3/10, review in Italian):
Utawarerumono: Prelude to the Fallen is graced by a compelling plot, but everything else is quite forgettable in this by-the-numbers visual novel.

Gamer Guides (3/5):
As a newcomer to both visual novels and the Utawarerumono series, it tells a compelling story that introduces you to a fantastic world. The story is entertaining throughout, and the battles are fun enough if a little basic.

Last edited:

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
For anyone that was curious, the translation is good.

I know folks were worried, since Mask of Deception/Mask of Truth had such excellent translations, and this one was done by a different team.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
For anyone that was curious, the translation is good.

I know folks were worried, since Mask of Deception/Mask of Truth had such excellent translations, and this one was done by a different team.

Phew.

Now I can let my hype run wild. Roll on next week.

Edit: Oh good, they did go with Hakuowlo in the end.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Edit: Oh good, they did go with Hakuowlo in the end.

Oh so they did change it? Glad to see the consistency! Going back to watch the anime from Sentai/Funi and some of the names were just bizzare translations...

I'm finishing up Mask of Truth, since my Prelude copy won't be in till next month (I bundled it with another NISA pre-order), but I can't wait! Been waiting YEARS to play this, ever since I saw the anime and found out that the game was only on PC as an H-game, and ported to PS2, but of course no one banked on western VNs at the time. I'm so glad this series got a chance! Been great :)

Derkon

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to this. Have it pre-ordered on Amazon but I don't have a delivery date yet :(

I played Mask of Deception a few weeks ago and enjoyed that quite a bit. Will play this next then finish Mask of Truth after.

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
what is this being priced at? it's not on PSN yet & Amazon shows it as unavailable so they don't list the MSRP

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
Hyped for this one. MoD and MoT were fantastic. Great stories, interested in finally getting the full story on this one since I only watched the 2006 anime series like probably a lot of people.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
I'm fully expecting for this game to score lower than the Mask duology since the original wasn't as good as its sequels (to put it lightly) but I'm still excited for this release.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
So I've had the other two sitting unplayed for a bit, is this one better to start off with?

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I was half way through watching the anime adaptation of this after buying the two games but I fell off, didn't realize this was even coming out so soon

Definitely gonna jump into this at some point

Iori Fuyusaka

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I pre-ordered this ages ago at Best Buy and they don't have a listed release date, so I'm guess I'm not getting in on Tuesday.

RampagingSoul

Oct 25, 2017
I will definitely pick this up at some point as I loved the other two games on Vita. Great to hear the translation is good.

galvenize

Oct 25, 2017
One of the first visual novels I've played more than 10 years ago, and one of the best. I remember my girl Karura wrecking everything.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Oh I didn't realise this had a release date, let alone releasing this soon! I grabbed physical copies of the two sequels but was waiting for this to release before touching them.

Sucks then Sony killed Vita production, but digital is better than nothing I guess. I assume the EU release is still on track?

Derkon

Oct 25, 2017
May as well ask here: Has anyone preordered the PS4 version off Amazon? Wondering if anyone has gotten a delivery date yet(mine is still unknown).

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Oh I didn't realise this had a release date, let alone releasing this soon! I grabbed physical copies of the two sequels but was waiting for this to release before touching them.

Sucks then Sony killed Vita production, but digital is better than nothing I guess. I assume the EU release is still on track?

Europe releases on the 29th. :)

Oct 25, 2017
Peachtree City, GA
I haven't seen an OT for this one yet, so asking here (let me know if I should remove it). I'm trying to work on the Platinum trophy of this game and so far I'm lacking the following:

- Where the Wild Things March
(I for the life of me cannot find where to access this event as I've completed everything else)

- Completely filled out the Encyclopedia
(I have a 100% on all Training and Free Battles - except the Free Battles that show --- since you cannot beat those)
(Currently missing two items: #72 and #79)
(Gallery missing first two of page #5)

- Reminiscing
(Event Viewer missing #61)

- Sound of a Thousand Memories
(Missing songs #10, 16, 27, 29, 98)

Does anyone have any suggestions? I first completed the game, then the Free Battles and finally the Training (in that order).

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
So I've had the other two sitting unplayed for a bit, is this one better to start off with?
I would say yes if you have no prior experience, i.e. haven't even seen the anime adaptation of the 1st one.
As for me, I haven't played any of the games so far and only watched both anime series and my current plan is to still only pick this one up in case I'm absolutely blown away by "Mask of Deception" and "Mask of Truth".

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
Been quietly anticipating on starting this series. Saw a passionate video on it some time ago but saw that the current duology wasn't the beginning so I've been holding out until this was released. Already pre-ordered.

Hoping to be floored, amazed, etc.

Jabroni Chief

Oct 28, 2017
Fresno CA
Yeah, mine says "preparing" and "We'll email you when it's ready for pickup," which is different from my other orders, so maybe.

The game shipped earlier this afternoon so they definitely have the game available. Website is still not updated though. Figure the print run is going to be low on this one like most NIS America releases so I'm grateful that Best Buy came through...

Iori Fuyusaka

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The game shipped earlier this afternoon so they definitely have the game available. Website is still not updated though. Figure the print run is going to be low on this one like most NIS America releases so I'm grateful that Best Buy came through...
I called them and they said they have my copy in the store. Just hope their system lets them sell it to me tomorrow.

Iori Fuyusaka

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Got my order pickup notification at 11:00 PM as I usually do. I'm good.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
Honestly, mid 70's is pretty damn good for a port of an almost 20 year old PC game (minus erotica) with a revamped battle system and some new images from what I've seen. It sounds like that revamped battle system made the game even easier though, and the lack of tougher difficulties that the original had seems to be a misstep as well.