• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So long as I can still redownload, I thiiiink I bought both Vita ones?

Wish I bought some physical copies when they were cheap though. Wanna play these at some point.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
Well nuts! They are a pair of wonderful games that I was fortunate enough to buy them ultra cheap on digital from PSN. Hopefully, NISA bought the publishing rights so they can put them back on PSN.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm conflicted. I always had these games "on the back burner" in my head, as I already have approximately ~100+ games on my backlog. I missed the sale when they were $12 together as a bundle, and now am faced with having to possibly pay around 5 times that much to secure physical copies.

Frankly, I can hardly justify adding yet another 100+ hours pair of games to my backlog, especially because although it seems fan reception is pretty good it's not like they are critically acclaimed. Maybe this is a NieR 1 like situation where the critic score was not as representative of the enjoyment I eventually got out of it as it usually is, but it's really hard to justify it. At the same time, a game being delisted triggers the ultimate form of FOMO for me.

Not only that, but another reason I put them off is that it'd just be better on Switch you know?

I can only hope NISA is swooping in and nabbing the rights, and will re-release it sometime soon.

OP
OP
purseowner

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm conflicted. I always had these games "on the back burner" in my head, as I already have approximately ~100+ games on my backlog. I missed the sale when they were $12 together as a bundle, and now am faced with having to possibly pay around 5 times that much to secure physical copies.

Frankly, I can hardly justify adding yet another 100+ hours pair of games to my backlog, especially because although it seems fan reception is pretty good it's not like they are critically acclaimed. Maybe this is a NieR 1 like situation where the critic score was not as representative of the enjoyment I eventually got out of it as it usually is, but it's really hard to justify it. At the same time, a game being delisted triggers the ultimate form of FOMO for me.

Not only that, but another reason I put them off is that it'd just be better on Switch you know?

I can only hope NISA is swooping in and nabbing the rights, and will re-release it sometime soon.
There were barely any reviews. They'd probably be critically acclaimed if more critics actually played them, and the Metacritic in this case is dragged down by reviewers who don't understand what a visual novel is.

Nier is in my favourite games of all time alongside these.

I agree they'd be perfect for Switch - the spin-off late last year released on Switch so I'm mildly hopeful for ports, but Aquaplus have history of strong ties to Sony so it's not a sure thing.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I know it's a banned game, but if you wanted to pick up DT2, now is probably the time. It's another Atlus-published Aquaplus title.

Among folks that played them, they're acclaimed.

Arcticfox

Oct 27, 2017
I actually just completed the PS4 version of Mask of Truth on Wednesday. Excellent game. Might get the complete series bundle on Steam instead of just remake of the original by itself. Was even looking at picking up some of the soundtracks.

Oct 25, 2017
There were barely any reviews. They'd probably be critically acclaimed if more critics actually played them, and the Metacritic in this case is dragged down by reviewers who don't understand what a visual novel is.

Nier is in my favourite games of all time alongside these.

I agree they'd be perfect for Switch - the spin-off late last year released on Switch so I'm mildly hopeful for ports, but Aquaplus have history of strong ties to Sony so it's not a sure thing.

True, it does seem some of the reviews I've seen were approaching the game as a more strictly SRPG affair, whereas it appears it's really more like battles exist to punctuate big moments but are not at all the focus. Like Fire Emblem with the ratio of story to battle flipped.

Well that's good to know that these are at least comparable in quality to NieR.

At the very least, physical copies can be resold, so if it happens to be re-released there's a way to get those and hand off the physical copies to someone who'd want them even more.

Geez, I already felt pretty dumb for having bought 13 Sentinels for full price only for it to be 50% off like a month later (and after I had only played 2 hours). Yeah it's good to support the devs but that kind of thing doesn't feel great. And I literally cannot imagine a future where I play these for more than 2 hours before dropping them for something else. (Because there's always something else, no matter how good the game is).

It seems like if I get around to them, it'll be in like a year or something. Ugh. (And yeah Switch would be nice but who knows, it seems indie-ish visual novels that should be ported usually have a hard time drumming up the funds to do so, like 428: Shibuya Scramble).

Well thanks for the heads up anyways.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Good thing I bought them when they were on sale - kinda disappointed that they released the steam versions shortly after I bought them on PS4 last year but not so much now

OP
OP
purseowner

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Confirmation from Gematsu:

A representative for Atlus, which published both titles in the west, confirmed to Gematsu that the titles were delisted because Atlus' licensing rights expired. Atlus did not have any information about whether the games would return to the digital storefront.

www.gematsu.com

Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception and Mask of Truth delisted from PlayStation Store in the west as license expires

The PlayStation 4 and PS Vita versions of strategy RPG and visual novel hybrid Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception and sequel Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth have been delisted from the PlayStation Store…

Oct 25, 2017
Among folks that played them, they're acclaimed.
I guess really what it comes down to is does the story compare in quality to top tier VNs like 999, VLR and Fata Morgana? I can't vouch for 13 Sentinels personally, but considering its cult following I'd also wonder if Utawarerumono has a story of that caliber as well.

OP
OP
purseowner

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I guess really what it comes down to is does the story compare in quality to top tier VNs like 999, VLR and Fata Morgana? I can't vouch for 13 Sentinels personally, but considering its cult following I'd also wonder if Utawarerumono has a story of that caliber as well.
Hahaha, I almost mentioned those others earlier in trying to sell you on these

My top five favourite games:
- Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception
- The House in Fata Morgana
- Virtue's Last Reward
- Undertale

Nier is interchangeable with Undertale or VLR depending on my current thoughts.

Zero Escape was my favourite VN series until I discovered Utawarerumono. I didn't expect a masterpiece, just an enjoyable game. When the credits hit on Deception I realised this was the greatest game I'd ever played. Only reason Truth isn't on that list is because the pacing isn't quite as good, but the highs are even greater in that.

Oct 25, 2017
Hahaha, I almost mentioned those others earlier in trying to sell you on these

My top five favourite games:
- Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception
- The House in Fata Morgana
- Virtue's Last Reward
- Undertale

Nier is interchangeable with Undertale or VLR depending on my current thoughts.

Zero Escape was my favourite VN series until I discovered Utawarerumono. I didn't expect a masterpiece, just an enjoyable game. When the credits hit on Deception I realised this was the greatest game I'd ever played. Only reason Truth isn't on that list is because the pacing isn't quite as good, but the highs are even greater in that.
Huh, interesting coincidence. Too bad the finale isn't the best, but it also sounds like it doesn't drop the ball either.

Eh, sure I guess I will add these to my backlog. I've just been spending a ridiculous amount of money recently but I can technically afford it still.

I hope these will live up to your praise of them, but either way no worries. I just truly wonder if I will be able to finish them any time soon, it could honestly take me years, as there is just way too much stuff to play these days.

OP
OP
purseowner

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Huh, interesting coincidence. Too bad the finale isn't the best, but it also sounds like it doesn't drop the ball either.

Eh, sure I guess I will add these to my backlog. I've just been spending a ridiculous amount of money recently but I can technically afford it still.

I hope these will live up to your praise of them, but either way no worries. I just truly wonder if I will be able to finish them any time soon, it could honestly take me years, as there is just way too much stuff to play these days.
Oh the finale is fantastic, just not as tightly written as the previous game.

And I wouldn't believe me either if I hadn't played them and read posts like mine. This series was such a surprising revelation to me that I've been an evangelist convincing people to try them ever since. A lot of people can't get past the animal ears and tails. I found myself forgetting they were there.

Hope they hit the spot for you. Do make sure to play the first one (Prelude to the Fallen) before the third, Mask of Truth though. Mask of Deception is a fine entry point if you don't want to start with the first one for financial or curiosity-based reasons - it's unlikely to hook you as quickly as Deception will.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh the finale is fantastic, just not as tightly written as the previous game.

And I wouldn't believe me either if I hadn't played them and read posts like mine. This series was such a surprising revelation to me that I've been an evangelist convincing people to try them ever since. A lot of people can't get past the animal ears and tails. I found myself forgetting they were there.

Hope they hit the spot for you. Do make sure to play the first one (Prelude to the Fallen) before the third, Mask of Truth though. Mask of Deception is a fine entry point if you don't want to start with the first one for financial or curiosity-based reasons - it's unlikely to hook you as quickly as Deception will.
Yeah I get that and can relate as well. There are some games that really are very misunderstood (like for example NieR). However unlike NieR, they probably will always remain niche so it feels like some kind of calling to try to make sure people at least know about them.

Yeah the designs are certainly very low on the sliding scale of furry ness so they don't bother me. In fact they are kind of cute, mostly because they don't go too far or weird with it. That being said they don't stand out to me much either.

Good to know you think starting with Deception is fine, as I'm not sure I'd be down for buying yet another game right now haha. Truth be told I've been aware of Utawarerumono since back when it was just the original and even set up the fan localization, but it was kind of a pain to figure out and I figure the new version is better. But still would rather start with Deception if possible. (Saw a couple episodes of the anime too and it seemed good but not standout from the first few at least).

I hope they really will be as good as you say.

Derkon

Oct 25, 2017
Glad I bought these physical for cheap last year. Even got the Day One versions with the extra goodies.

OP
OP
purseowner

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
(Saw a couple episodes of the anime too and it seemed good but not standout from the first few at least).
Last thing I'll note, but fans tend not to rate the Deception anime very highly. The director actively sought to change a few characterisations and of course it suffers from being highly abridged. I still like it a fair bit personally, but I wouldn't expect it to sell anyone on the series.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
They're still available at Steam, and aren't published by ATLUS so probably won't be delisted.

Oct 25, 2017
Last thing I'll note, but fans tend not to rate the Deception anime very highly. The director actively sought to change a few characterisations and of course it suffers from being highly abridged. I still like it a fair bit personally, but I wouldn't expect it to sell anyone on the series.
I was actually talking about the anime adaptation of the original game, but good to know anyways.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Kind of fucked they didn't give people a heads-up. Kinda actively going against their own interests there as now people who say on them will just buy second-hand

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Kind of fucked they didn't give people a heads-up. Kinda actively going against their own interests there as now people who say on them will just buy second-hand
Yeah, seems like this happens fairly often where games are just delisted without warning. I wonder if they're legally not allowed to mention that their license is due to expire in some cases.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The game isn't even recognized in recently played games on PS5 anymore. I went to check my playtime under recently played, and the icon that should be Utawarerumono keeps cycling between random other games any time I open and close Utawarerumono

image0.jpg

image0.jpg

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
The game isn't even recognized in recently played games on PS5 anymore. I went to check my playtime under recently played, and the icon that should be Utawarerumono keeps cycling between random other games any time I open and close Utawarerumono

image0.jpg

image0.jpg
Cyberpunk is like that, too. If a game is delisted it's removed from most features of the OS/ecosystem.

OP
OP
purseowner

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK

image0.jpg

image0.jpg
Given I was about to upgrade and was looking forward to tracking my playtime, this is incredibly disappointing.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Cyberpunk is like that, too. If a game is delisted it's removed from most features of the OS/ecosystem.
That's weird because Cyberpunk still shows up normally for me. Always has, even after it was removed.

Given I was about to upgrade and was looking forward to tracking my playtime, this is incredibly disappointing.
The weird thing is that it does track it in a round about way. It's just listed under whatever random game it's appearing as. I bought the Utawarerumono games a while ago, but this news really got me to start playing it again. Now that I've played another hour of it, I'm at three hours total. So under my games list it shows Trails of Cold Steel 2 (as shown in the second image) or whatever other random game it cycles through now showing 3 hours since I now have 3 hours in Mask of Truth.

The whole thing is weird as hell lol