• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
Just picked the bundle up in a sale, mask of deception and truth. Is this a good starting point? The wiki says this is the second of three games, but what's the first?

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Just picked the bundle up in a sale, mask of deception and truth. Is this a good starting point? The wiki says this is the second of three games, but what's the first?
The first game is just called Utawarerumono. There is a remake out for PS4 and Vita called "Prelude to the Fallen" but it is not out on PC yet, should be coming eventually.

I would wait until that comes out to play them. Or buy the original PC discs and patch it to English.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There is also an anime adaption of the first game. I haven't played the game, but I've watched the anime a few times. It's pretty great all things considered.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The first game is just called Utawarerumono. There is a remake out for PS4 and Vita called "Prelude to the Fallen" but it is not out on PC yet, should be coming eventually.

I would wait until that comes out to play them.
Alternatively there's an anime that covers all the events of the first game pretty well that's streamable on funimation.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
The remake of the first game is called Utawarerumono: Prelude to the Fallen. Only out on PS4 and Vita at the moment, but it's also coming to PC sometime later.

I'm personally waiting for it to come to PC before I binge all 3. I've watched the anime for the first and second games and can't wait to play through them all.

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
Three games in the series:

Utawarerumono (remake called Utawarerumono: Prelude to the Fallen)
This one never came out in English territories, but the remake was recently released finally outside Japan.

Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception

Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth

Recommend you play them in that order. You don't really need to play the original before playing Mask of Deception, but I highly, highly recommend doing so before playing Mask of Truth. Also it does definitely add to Mask of Deception.

There is a 2006 anime series for the first game that is "good enough" and it's what I used to get myself up to speed to play MoD and MoT, but now that the first game is available I recommend you just get that.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
The anime is a decent enough substitute for the first game if you don't want to play it on PS4/Vita, all things considered.

Nocturne

Oct 25, 2017
i used the anime to experience the story of the first game before playing 2 and 3 and it worked out fine. it's not the best adaptation but i thought it was still pretty decent for what it was, and i still felt like i got a lot out of the plot beats that lean on assumed knowledge of the first game

there's just one thing fairly critical about utaware 1 that's not covered in the anime that you may need to ask a veteran about once you've finished utaware 2 though.

OP
OP
Abylim

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
i used the anime to experience the story of the first game before playing 2 and 3 and it worked out fine. it's not the best adaptation but i thought it was still pretty decent for what it was, and i still felt like i got a lot out of the plot beats that lean on assumed knowledge of the first game

there's just one thing fairly critical about utaware 1 that's not covered in the anime that you may need to ask a veteran about once you've finished utaware 2 though.

Watched a few eps. It seems kinda disjointed and abit weird, does it get better? Or am I better off buying the game?

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
When you find out you have to wait for a sale on the first game :-/

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Deception is such a masterpiece and isn't a dreadful entry point - the protagonist is being introduced to the world so it's kind of nice to be new to it along with him (I started with Deception). The pacing's best in Deception of the three so it's a good litmus test for whether you'll like the series overall.

But as others have said, Prelude (remake of Uta1 is out now). There are many callbacks in Deception but you could start with either. Make sure to play both 1 & 2 before playing Truth though.

Also welcome to the secret best series in gaming.

lightning16

May 17, 2019
I'm actually playing through Mask of Deception now, and my personal entry point to the series was the anime series (both the original and the Mask of Deception anime adaptations). I'm loving Mask of Deception a lot and haven't really felt like I've missed much. Maybe it'll be more an issue in Mask of Truth? I'm not sure. My plan is to just play through these two and go back for Prelude at some point.