• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Someone's going to get sued.

Guy had better have a backup plan for when he loses his restaurant.

Different customers on two occasions, two weeks apart, said the owner of Bombay Grill in Ogden refused to serve them if they sat inside with their dogs.

Missy Warwood said she, her husband, 5-year-old son Jefferson and Jefferson's service dog, Sage, tried to eat at Bombay Grill for her birthday at the end of May.

She said Jefferson has Down syndrome and doesn't speak. Sage, she said, is considered Jefferson's medical equipment.

When they walked into Bombay Grill, she said the owner immediately turned them away and told them, "no dogs."

"We tried to educate him, and let him know that we have every right to be here. It's my son's service dog. He needs it," Warwood said, recalling her conversation with the owner. "And he said, 'No. It's my opinion, it's my restaurant. And I say, no dogs.'"

When they walked into Bombay Grill and sat down, they said the owner gave them the same response as he gave to Jefferson's family.

In a cell phone video taken by James Mann, who was with his service dog Potter, the owner looks at them and says, "Sir. No dogs."

The group tries to explain to the owner that denying them service is like denying someone in a wheelchair and that under law they have a right to be there.

When asked about the ADA laws, the owner said he knew the laws and has read them. He said he still stands by his policy, and that customers with service dogs can either order to-go or sit outside.

Source:

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
I dunno what exactly this guy's trying to accomplish, especially when aware of the law.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Can you have a service dog free restaurant for a allergic free environment?

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Imagine hating an specific animal so much you put your whole business in jeopardy.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Justifying illegal ableist discrimination, doubling down in subsequent posts.
I'm with the owner

Feb 1, 2018
They should have banned emotional support animals instead, that's the actual scam one

Service dogs are real and serve an actual purpose

pizoxuat

Jan 12, 2018
This is the other huge problem with the emotional support animal scam, now every time there is an article about service animals people have that little doubt in their minds about whether these are trained and registered legal support animals or someone's pet with fake papers. Argh.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
ADA are civil laws not criminal so police are not the ones to enforce it, you have to go to civil state or federal court and sue to get the owner to follow the ADA rules. More likely the social media attention will turn into TV/press nightmares for the owners.

Definitely a lot of missed info flying back and forth between the owner and customers, the article says this too: "The owner said on the phone that his restaurant is his responsibility, and he described a past incident where a dog attacked a customer. " so I can sorta understand why the owner might be really, really reluctant to ever let a dog into the restaurant again. Yeah, I think most of us know service dogs are very different than regular dogs and how much their owners depend on them but i'd be surprised if a lot of people really know or understand it.

I already see the business being review bombed on yelp and google so I'd expect something soon from them.

Last edited:

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Please educate me if I'm wrong and if this is a thing outside the US, too, but this really confuses me.

How does a dog help a mute autistic child? I've only ever heard of service dogs for blind people to allow them to move around safely. Is this more akin to those dogs people are allowed to take in the plane in the US for emotional support?

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Please educate me if I'm wrong and if this is a thing outside the US, too, but this really confuses me.

How does a dog help a mute autistic child? I've only ever heard of service dogs for blind people to allow them to move around safely. Is this more akin to those dogs people are allowed to take in the plane in the US for emotional support?
No, it's not, and its getting to be a real problem that people are constantly confusing the two. Service dogs and other service animals are specially trained to aid in aspects of a person's life that they're either incapable of doing themselves, need assistance with, or in special cases are there to essentially act as a life saver when something goes wrong (breathing problems, heart issues, seizures, etc.). The training itself is very intensive and basically leads to the dog being registered as a medical tool by the end of it.

This site has some interesting bits about what constitutes the need for one, but it's not a fully comprehensive list. Still worth a read if you're genuinely interested int he subject.

Emotional support animals, on the other hand, are not trained and are essentially just a way around the rules to let your pet go wherever you do. For issues like anxiety there are specially trained service animals who help with that sort of thing. But a lot of people don't bother with that and just get their regular pet registered as an emotional support animal instead.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Putting your entire livelihood in jeopardy to own the service dog owners.

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
I wonder if this will have the opposite effect like those articles about restaurants banning kids and then public ends up supporting their stance.

With that said, owner will probably get sued if the customer has proof the animal is a real service animal.

w00tmanUK

Nov 9, 2017
fuck emotional support animals, just a big con in the UK to allow your pet to come with you. Service dogs? if that's seeing-eye dogs etc, then shit yeah, they would be welcome all day every day. Completely different.

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
Owner probably got tired of emotional support animals and their owners and made the blanket ban. Don't agree but I understand the frustration.

Dec 31, 2017
If the owner is Indian I'm suspecting a major cultural clash, as dogs are usually considered dirty in that region. He'll learn the hard way I suppose.

House_Of_Lightning

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Service dogs are service dogs. Read the OP, they are obviously not emotional support dogs.

I think the point is that people will often claim an animal is a service animal without it actually being certified, trained, etc.

Dunno what the repercussions for this would be. If he has outside seating and family's with service animals are requested/required to sit outside, depending on the word of the law he may not be in violation.