• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
This is just...

Are they serious? It's good that it's not a message from Putin or @GovernmentRF or someone like that but still. And they tweet it today, lol.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

TrafficCoen

The Fallen
Feb 22, 2019
If it was just "occupied territories" why was half of the polish heartland under soviet territory afterwards?

Ginta

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
They were looking for a reason to start a war without being the aggressor, got lucky germany took the first step.

Is there any history book that says otherwise?

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Try to even suggest to most people there that the SU had a hand in allowing WWII to happen. It won't end well. The brainwashing is very real.

OP
OP
Potterson

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
They were looking for a reason to start a war without being the aggressor, got lucky germany took the first step.

Is there any history book that says otherwise?

I wouldn't call realising the Molotov–Ribbentrop Pact "letting the Germans take the first step". It was part of the plan.

OP
OP
Potterson

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
I don't see anything wrong with the tweet.

Soviet Union invaded Poland on 17th of September 1939. My great-grandfather was killed five days later and his family was later sent to gulags. This was an invasion of the official, legal territory created after World War 1, and many of these lands were under rule of Polish Kingdom in XVIII century, before the First Partition of Poland. The forces near our eastern border were not defeated when USSR came in - USSR forces defeated them and captured hundred thousands soldiers from Polish Army.

Nothing wrong, lol.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well they did hold it since 1795 and only lost it because they were the losers in WW1. Of course, they didn't have to kill millions of Poles and Jews while they were reclaiming it.
They also held cities like Warsaw and other areas of the Polish heartland too until WWI, I don't know if that's really a valid argument.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A part of Austria-Hungary is still occupied by Slovakia, those monsters!

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017
I don't see anything wrong with the tweet.

If you march your armies into another country, that is considered an invasion, even if you believe it's a justified invasion.

The context is even funnier though. The USSR made an alliance with the literal Nazis to divide Eastern Europe into mutual spheres of influence, which involved not just this invasion of Poland but also the annexation of Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia, intimidating Romania into ceding Bessarabia, and invading Finland because they didn't agree to a territory exchange that the USSR demanded.

Even if you thought this invasion of Poland was justified ("Ethnic minorities living in Eastern Poland!") that's like being charged for 5 murders and loudly objecting that actually one of those 5 deaths was justified.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean there are literally movies and pictures of germans and soviets celebrating the defeat of Poland together.

220px-Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-121-0011-20%2C_Polen%2C_deutsch-sowjetische_Siegesparade.jpg
You can read the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact (or Hitler-Stalin pact) yourself, too. It's short.

https://sourcebooks.fordham.edu/mod/1939pact.asp

[The section below was not published at the time the above was announced.]
Secret Additional Protocol.
Article I. In the event of a territorial and political rearrangement in the areas belonging to the Baltic States (Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania), the northern boundary of Lithuania shall represent the boundary of the spheres of influence of Germany and U.S.S.R. In this connection the interest of Lithuania in the Vilna area is recognized by each party.
Article II. In the event of a territorial and political rearrangement of the areas belonging to the Polish state, the spheres of influence of Germany and the U.S.S.R. shall be bounded approximately by the line of the rivers Narev, Vistula and San. The question of whether the interests of both parties make desirable the maintenance of an independent Polish States and how such a state should be bounded can only be definitely determined in the course of further political developments. In any event both Governments will resolve this question by means of a friendly agreement.
Article III. With regard to Southeastern Europe attention is called by the Soviet side to its interest in Bessarabia. The German side declares its complete political disinteredness in these areas.
Article IV. This protocol shall be treated by both parties as strictly secret.

Moscow, August 23, 1939.

For the Government of the German Reich v. Ribbentrop Plenipotentiary of the Government of the U.S.S.R. V. Molotov

Aug 16, 2019
UK
Germany invaded first, Soviet Union about 2 weeks later.
What's going on in this thread...
I think these people are arguing that since the polish government was no more, it was not an invasion but just occupation of territory.

Why people feel the need to make the distinction is beyond me, but anyway...

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
It's very complicated part of history. I mean "polonization" was also a thing, as well as detention camps, so I wouldn't call Poland as a victim also.

The Belarusian population of West Belarus faced active polonisation promoted by the central Polish authorities. The policy included pressure on Belarusian schooling, widespread cases of discrimination of the Belarusian language, imposition of Polish national identity on Belarusian Roman Catholics.
Most Polish inhabitants of the region supported the policy of cultural assimilation of Belarusians as proposed by Dmowski. The polonization drive was inspired and influenced by the Polish National Democracy, led by Dmowski, who advocated refusing Belarusians and Ukrainians the right for a free national development. Władysław Studnicki, an influential Polish official at the administration of the Kresy region in 1919-1920 stated that Poland's engagement in the East amounts to a much needed economic colonization. Belarusian nationalist media in Poland faced increased pressure and censorship from the authorities.

It was established in 1934 by the Polish Sanation government for the purpose of isolating and tormenting both psychically and physically political opponents, including National Democrats, communists, members of the Polish People's Party, as well as Ukrainian and Belarusian nationalists.

In general, I noticed that in threads like these people usually don't care about Ukrainians and Belarusians at all, nations that were divided between two countries (USSR and Poland). Many families were divided too - sisters, brothers, parents and kids. They literally can't see each other for almost 20 years after 1921 (Treaty of Riga).

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
It's very complicated part of history. I mean "polonization" was also a thing, as well as detention camps, so I wouldn't call Poland as a victim also.

In general, I noticed that in threads like these people usually don't care about Ukrainians and Belarusians at all, nations that were divided between two countries (USSR and Poland). Many families were divided too - sisters, brothers, parents and kids. They literally can't see each other for almost 20 years after 1921 (Treaty of Riga).

Um, what does that have to do with anything?

Berto

Oct 25, 2017
Lol I guess they "forgot" all the polish partitions made by Russia and Prussia prior.

Oct 28, 2017
Man I had no idea about the Soviet invasion. My schools basically said it was Soviets "to the rescue". Considering that we spent several weeks learning about WW2, shameful this wasn't included.

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
User Banned (permanent): Inflammatory Whataboutisms Over Multiple Posts in this Thread; Numerous Prior Bans for Inflammatory Behavior
It was all Poland's fault after all didn't you know? Good guy Russia just wanted to protect some minorities.
Yeah, fuck Belarusians and Ukrainians. They're not "real" people, like Poles and Russians. /s

Nov 28, 2017
User Banned (1 month): inflammatory historical revisionism over multiple posts
If you march your armies into another country, that is considered an invasion, even if you believe it's a justified invasion.

The context is even funnier though. The USSR made an alliance with the literal Nazis to divide Eastern Europe into mutual spheres of influence, which involved not just this invasion of Poland but also the annexation of Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia, intimidating Romania into ceding Bessarabia, and invading Finland because they didn't agree to a territory exchange that the USSR demanded.

Even if you thought this invasion of Poland was justified ("Ethnic minorities living in Eastern Poland!") that's like being charged for 5 murders and loudly objecting that actually one of those 5 deaths was justified.
It was early 20th century, maps changed almost on a monthly basis, and many countries either lost huge chunks of territory or disappeared altogether. So why would it be strange that opportunistic countries tried to take advantage.
Poland crumbled like a house of cards, they were completely embarrased and outclassed.
What should have Soviets done, let their people in territories occupied by Poland fall into German hands, especially Jews.
Polish government back then were proper bastards, oopressing minorities (to say the least). They bit off more territory than they can chew and it backfired spectacularly.
The tweet is correct.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That he also mentioned the Ukraine is no accident. Probably trying to justify the Crimea annexation

Teddy

Oct 26, 2017
It was early 20th century, maps changed almost on a monthly basis, and many countries either lost huge chunks of territory or disappeared altogether. So why would it be strange that opportunistic countries tried to take advantage.
Poland crumbled like a house of cards, they were completely embarrased and outclassed.
What should have Soviets done, let their people in territories occupied by Poland fall into German hands, especially Jews.
Polish government back then were proper bastards, oopressing minorities (to say the least). They bit off more territory than they can chew and it backfired spectacularly.
The tweet is correct.

Or, you know, not invade a sovereign nation and sign a secret pact with Nazi's to split the country in half.