• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
www.naval-technology.com

USS Portland tests laser weapon system to destroy aircraft mid-air

A US Navy warship, USS Portland, has successfully tested a new high-energy laser weapon system that could destroy an aircraft mid-air.

A US Navy warship, USS Portland, has successfully tested a new high-energy laser weapon system that could destroy an aircraft mid-air.

During a test on 16 May, the transport dock ship USS Portland was able to shoot down an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) with a Solid State Laser – Technology Maturation Laser Weapon System Demonstrator (LWSD) MK 2 MOD.

Developed by the Office of Naval Research, LWSD was installed on Portland for an at-sea demonstration. The laser weapon's operation on a Pacific Fleet ship is said to be the first system-level deployment of a high-energy solid-state laser.

Northrop Grumman created the laser system while NSWC Dahlgren and Port Hueneme led full system and ship integration and testing.

Since 1960s, the US Navy has been working to develop directed-energy weapons (DEWs), including lasers. DEWs are electromagnetic systems that can convert chemical or electrical energy to radiated energy.

The converted energy is focused on a target to cause physical damage that degrades, neutralises, defeats or destroys an adversarial capability, noted the US Navy. DEWs such as LWSD are intended to help the Navy face various threats during their missions, including UAVs, armed small boats, adversary intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance systems.

Last edited:

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I've seen the video. This tech looks very promising. As the tech gets better it should be a good countermeasure to hypersonic missiles. At least in theory.

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
We Star Wars now
giphy.gif

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What exactly is a "solid state" laser? That and just how much fucking energy does this thing need to work?

Nov 8, 2017
I wonder what the effective range is currently. In addition to the "shooting down drones" schtick it would presumably also be very useful as a CIWS for intercepting incoming guided munitions.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I've been hearing about this coming for my entire life, but it looks like it's finally here in a usable form. That's cool.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I think the military's budget is overinflated as much as the next guy here, but I think its plain to see how useful a laser point defense system would be in defending naval ships, especially when we know other countries are developing ship-killers.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I like seeing stuff blow up as much as the next guy but this seems like a pointless waist of money.
I mean there are other applications for lasers that will greatly benefit from the continued military advancement. Medicine, particle physics, communication, and space flight to name a few.

That said the obvious flaw is a mirrored target basically negates a laser. Not even negates but could deflect it back to the source. I imagine counter measured where mirrored surfaces, even very small ones could be affixed to vehicles with computers and robotic apenditures moving the mirror automatically into the beam and perfectly reflect it back to the source.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
A friend with a PhD in laser physics pointed out that a retro-reflector on the target would be able to take out the ship by blinding the crew. I wonder how they're planning on counteracting that.

That said the obvious flaw is a mirrored target basically negates a laser. Not even negates but could deflect it back to the source. I imagine counter measured where mirrored surfaces, even very small ones could be affixed to vehicles with computers and robotic apenditures moving the mirror automatically into the beam and perfectly reflect it back to the source.
You don't even need to do that. Completely passive devices that reflect light back to the source already exist.

What exactly is a "solid state" laser? That and just how much fucking energy does this thing need to work?
Not sure about input but the output is 30kW.

Deleted member 1722

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I mean there are other applications for lasers that will greatly benefit from the continued military advancement. Medicine, particle physics, communication, and space flight to name a few.

WHOAAAA

Especially if its an array of microlenses that can really drive it in a specific direction.

Thats some wild shit to think about, especially collateral damage wise.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
That's terrifying. They're using it on a drone now, but it's only a matter of time before it's used to kill people.

Nov 8, 2017
I think the military's budget is overinflated as much as the next guy here, but I think its plain to see how useful a laser point defense system would be in defending naval ships, especially when we know other countries are developing ship-killers.

Yes I think if you want to talk about slashing budgets in the military you really need to think about cutting down on deployments, avoiding unnecessary wars, or reducing the size of the military in some areas. Cancelling R&D is probably the last place you should be making major cuts, although in reality it's where the cuts are usually felt first because it offends the least stakeholders. Technology takes years to develop, design and test, so you ideally want to have capabilities before you need them, not after.

You're far more likely to see countermeasures in the form of obscurants (smoke, mist etc). Even if a mirror is partially or totally effective at defending against a laser, they have major drawbacks like dramatically increasing visibility. Mirrors will not necessarily reflect (or totally reflect) the wavelengths of light used in these operations, and even if you do design mirrors around the wavelengths of light enemy laser systems are using, small imperfections, scratches and dust, dirt or whatever will render it ineffective.

Imagine trying to keep a tank dust and dirt free!

Deleted member 24118

User requested account closure
Oct 29, 2017

Not really, no. Literally any amount of dust or smudging will negate a mirror's reflective properties.

On top of that reflective surfaces tend to be highly reflective to radar as well, you start putting mirrors on your planes and missiles and it'll look like a giant flying Christmas tree to conventional air defence, which would be somewhat of a step backwards from decades of trying to be stealthy.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
That's terrifying. They're using it on a drone now, but it's only a matter of time before it's used to kill people.
It's not like the military can't kill people from a distance now. If anything, this probably has a shorter range than a lot of larger ship weapons, and is a bit more focused.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
If they can make this sort of technology smaller imagine how it would change fighter jets if they could fit them on. Dogfights taking place from opposite ends of the planets curve.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Not really, no. Literally any amount of dust or smudging will negate a mirror's reflective properties.

On top of that reflective surfaces tend to be highly reflective to radar as well, you start putting mirrors on your planes and missiles and it'll look like a giant flying Christmas tree to conventional air defence, which would be somewhat of a step backwards from decades of trying to be stealthy.
That's why the later part of my guess is the more likely scenario. Small mirrors which can be stored beneath the surface or tucked which only need to be placed in path of the beam, controlled by computers and robotic arms.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
They've had these for years on land based vehicles, look up MEHEL. The problem with HEL is that if you miss you can't just call it back. Effects also take time. Things don't just instantly blow up, they are better suited for blinding targets. The criteria to ensure there won't be friendly fire if you miss is a huge hurdle to actual application. Tracking drones and Hypersonics is difficult enough as it is, so knowing where to point a pin point laser is also an issue. By the time someone has made a decision to charge and fire it's too late, also useless against multiple targets, which is like every situation.

It's a cool showcase to flex the muscles but currently no more practical than throwing a rock at a drone or a missile. Check back in another 20 years.