• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
The USPS needs to just give up trying to be self sufficient. It's a needed service. Treat it like one.

Edit: I'm not blaming the USPS, I'm saying (in a less than articulate way) that things need to change. I know it's not just up to the USPS how to operate.

Prior to being forced to fund retirements in its their entirety bc of GOP they were completely self sufficient and wild regularly post a surplus

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
The intention is clear. The right wants to make it as an example of government inefficiency. It's actually been a known thing in the inner circles of politics for decades now. It's vague and complicated enough that the general public is easily misled on thier it doesn't help that democrat being bad at messaging isn't helping matters any less.
I mean i get that. I just don't understand why this wasn't tackled under obama. Hopefully if we get another dem control they can fix this.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
That's one hell of a colossal fuck up if the USPS shutters. Even for a month. Various businesses still use USPS to deliver packages so it's not like they were useless before the virus crippled economic activity.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
My dad just got hired by the USPS a couple of months ago after years of being employed when his factory shut down. They're really trying to do it to him.

Hrothgar

Nov 6, 2017
How is package delivery down in the US? Here it has actually increased since WFH was instituted. As busy as a December months.

Or is it because Amazon has their own delivery service and so any increase in online ordering doesnt affect USPS?

Deleted member 60295

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 28, 2019
My experience with USPS workers is that they are some of the nicest people you will ever meet, which is especially impressive given the thankless job they work. No wonder Republicans hate them so much.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
90510.7253.jpg

Kramer gets it. I wasn't expecting my facetious comment to be taken so seriously. Of course the USPS is needed. That doesn't mean I'm not fed up with 95% of my delivered mail going straight into the trash.

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
I thought UPS and FedEx weren't willing to inspect, huh.

Guess that was some bullshit I was fed years ago, and yeah I meant between FFLs not directly to customers
There are rules to it. Basically if you are a private shipper you need to go to the hub or distribution center (no PostNet, UPS Store, Going Postal, etc) and it can only be done within the lower 48.

Idiots don't realize that FedEx and UPS won't exist without the USPS either. USPS handles the majority of the backbone of parcel delivery.
i dont know the inner workings of the USPS but i believe this statement is opposite of how things work. There are service options (SmartPost/SurePost) where the backbone of parcel delivery is performed by FedEx/UPS and only the last leg of the journey (from local post office to final destination) is handled by USPS. Here is an example of one of those kinds of labels. The top half is from the shipper to the postal facility and the bottom half from the post office to the final address.

JhEcDP4.png

And if the Post Office goes away prices at FedEx/UPS are going to shoot sky high if the past is any indication. Prices have gone up in line with the vaolume of Amazon shipments. On top of everything being clogged with Amazon shipping its my suspicion that catering to Amazon has led to a sizable decline in quality and speed. My reasoning is if a driver needs to choose between upsetting a private shipper that ships xmas toys once a year vs displeasing Amazon, they are going to choose the option that benefits their largest customer, Amazon.

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
Does the Postmaster General have no pull whatsoever? Is it just some sort of figurehead position?
She can deploy the Postmaster Army. Unfortunately, the little white trucks are unarmored and the postmen/women are taught basic, sound-activated self-defense techniques only. Their killing phrase is "that's a federal offense".

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Only after obama care. Before that he had house n Senate
He used most of his political capital getting Obamacare through. And voters punished him severely for it and rewarded the Tea Party, the same doofuses that are gutting the postal service, so I can't really blame him for not even trying.

Also we had the Great Recession which took up almost the entire first year of his presidency.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Belfast

Oct 28, 2017
As a state employee, this is the way most people are receiving their EBT cards right now. A lot of homeless people also make use of General Delivery Service at their local post offices or have PO Boxes. There are so many more ways in which this could hurt poor people. No surprise given who is in charge.

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
Not that I want the USPS to fail, since I do think they are an essential service, but they treat their employees like absolute shit. When I worked there, I worked 6 to 7 days a week, but it was mostly 7 days a week....without ANY BENEFITS. I had one day off the first 30 days I worked there. The only way to be considered a career employee and get benefits is if another career employee retires and you are next line. I knew a guy who worked like eight years there before he was allowed to become a "career" employee and get benefits. If you weren't a career employee and got hurt or sick, you would get fired. I worked with a woman who injured herself while delivering phone books. When she got out of the hospital, they fired her. It was legit probably the worst job I have ever worked and I have worked some shitty jobs before.

Seraphic

Oct 29, 2017
The United States Postal Service could not compete with the American Letter Mail Company started by Lysander Spooner in 1844. His service did it cheaper and faster. The only reason the USPS survived is because Congress eventually forced Lysander to cease operations in 1851 by legislating a US monopoly on Mail. Without their guaranteed monopoly, the USPS would have had to shutter decades ago.

Remember History: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Letter_Mail_Company

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
The United States Postal Service could not compete with the American Letter Mail Company started by Lysander Spooner in 1844. His service did it cheaper and faster. The only reason the USPS survived is because Congress eventually forced Lysander to cease operations in 1851 by legislating a US monopoly on Mail. Without their guaranteed monopoly, the USPS would have had to shutter decades ago.

Yeah but it''s 2020 and the alternatives aren't better or cheaper overall

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
Not the same but Fedex does deal with postal bag already.

They deliver it most of the way, and then use the Postal Service to deliver it the rest of the way. It's very slow.

The probably used the Postal Clause of the Constitution.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postal_Clause

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
Federal mail is an essential service. I know it's hard to see that through the dozens of junk you may get, but it is critical it works.

CKT

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 1, 2020

The USPS is only suffering because of this legislation passed by Republicans to destroy the postal service. The fact they have even survived this long under the law shows how strong they truly are.
www.bloomberg.com

Congress, Not Amazon, Messed Up the Post Office

Legislators passed a law that made the USPS less competitive with the private sector.

Then there is the Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act of 2006 (PAEA), which some have taken to calling "the most insane law" ever passed by Congress.
The law requires the Postal Service, which receives no taxpayer subsidies, to prefund its retirees' health benefits up to the year 2056. This is a $5 billion per year cost; it is a requirement that no other entity, private or public, has to make. If that doesn't meet the definition of insanity, I don't know what does. Without this obligation, the Post Office actually turns a profit. Some have called this a "manufactured crisis." It's also significant that lots of companies benefit from a burden that makes the USPS less competitive; these same companies might also would benefit from full USPS privatization, a goal that has been pushed by several conservative think tanks for years.