• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Far too many big businesses use the USPS for it to shutter. They'll rein in their GOP lackeys.

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
If the postal service dies the country dies. A privatized mail service as the only option would be devastating.
This is the most worrisome part. What would they charge for things? What would you be able to sell? There could be priorities for certain sellers or companies and others get tossed in the bin.

Oct 27, 2017
IDK how I should feel about this. I don't want mailing and shipping to be affected negatively and want supplies to be coming to those who need it, and eliminating one provider of shipping during these times when shipping is so important seems like it could be bad.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
What percentage of USPS employees are Republicans, I wonder.
Many are, many aren't. It truly is a civil service, so you get people from all walks of life.

They're more in line with a government employee than a Fed ex employee. It was the Republicans' idea to turn them into a private-lite company.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
They'll get funding or they'll become nationalized to not be self-sufficient anymore. The USPS is not shutting down, folks.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
repubs gonna be mad when they can't get their guns because AFAIK USPS was the only service willing to ship firearms

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't even care if this story is true. Just the whole politics of it is so fucking obscene I can't come to terms with it.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
Nope definitely not true I saw a ton of guns and ammo passing through UPS. Has to be between licensed dealers or collectors etc though.
I thought UPS and FedEx weren't willing to inspect, huh.

Guess that was some bullshit I was fed years ago, and yeah I meant between FFLs not directly to customers

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
This is going to hit rural areas the hardest. Not looking forward to having no USPS, but congrats senate republicans, you got what you want.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is this real life?

My local USPS is bootycheeks but the US would be in a really bad spot with no USPS

Xythantiops

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't miss it. Only mail I get is stacks of flyers and ads every single day. Fuck off.
90510.7253.jpg

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
The USPS needs to just give up trying to be self sufficient. It's a needed service. Treat it like one.

Edit: I'm not blaming the USPS, I'm saying (in a less than articulate way) that things need to change. I know it's not just up to the USPS how to operate.

IIRC if it weren't for Republicans forcing the USPS to fully fund retirement benefits 20 years in advance, it would be making a profit year after year. The USPS is an example of a nationalized service done right, which is why the right is so keen to dismantle it.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
I mean technically speaking the USPS literally cannot die as that would be a violation of the Constitution if it did. I could honestly see someone suing them and winning in court on those grounds alone if they tried to "go out of business".

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
It is nationalized... it was just self-sufficient funding-wise until recently (which started with Congress forcing them to fully fund their retirement plan upfront)

Which, as the article makes clear, is a ploy to make the USPS fail so they can privatize it
I still don't know why they didn't take that back.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Privatizing the USPS has been a long-term goal of the Republicans for decades. Unless someone slaps them down, this may be their chance.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Not providing funding for USPS might be the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Our country is run by morons.
They actually don't even need funding. Remove the handicap imposed by the Republican controlled government in 2006 and the postal service is actually one of the most profitable government, if not the only one, agencies in the US.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
The world is going to collapse, isn't it?

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't know why they didn't take that back.
The intention is clear. The right wants to make it as an example of government inefficiency. It's actually been a known thing in the inner circles of politics for decades now. It's vague and complicated enough that the general public is easily misled on thier it doesn't help that democrat being bad at messaging isn't helping matters any less.