• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SneerfulOwl

Nov 4, 2017
I'm nearsighted and everything is blurry unless the object is literally couple of inches in front of me. I've heard wearing glasses with a large frame will either mass up the glasses or the vr lenses so is there a way to play on vr without encountering this issue?

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some headsets are more friendly to glasses than others. You can also buy prescription lenses for some of them (such as the Vive). I end up just wearing my contacts when doing anything VR though.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I used to wear glasses and I'm also near sighted, with the PSVR I had no issues, not sure about other VR devices.

Of course if you switch to contacts you'll have no issue with any VR device.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
My niece has used my Vive with her glasses on and I had no idea it could screw things up :S
She loved it and thought it looked fine so I dunno

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
The cheap route would be to get a pair of glasses that fit well from zenni,but you can buy prescription lens inserts for most of the headsets out.

RoaringMdog

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
I have a pretty large frame and have not had any issues with either the psvr or the Quest. Just put the glasses spacer on the Quest and its fine. Psvr was fine out of the box.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
It can be tough imo. I have used the Rift with glasses. The action is kinda strange putting on the headset and trying to keep your glasses on. And it kinda pushes down on them and your nose. I try not to play with glasses tbh, too risky, I don't want to damage my lenses. Might be perfectly safe but ehhh too risky.

Sadly the best option is contacts.

As far as the overall experience with glasses on? Looks fine. Just like wearing glasses in the real world, you quickly ignore the rims of your glasses.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I'm too scared to permanently damage my VR headset so I just always use contacts with it unfortunately

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
I've had a Vive for a couple years and wear glasses. Honestly it kinda sucks wearing them in the set, not that it doesn't 100% work and is very enjoyable... it's just so much better without them. If you can get contacts do so. Otherwise there's issues like risk of scratching the lens, having to adjust your glasses within the set, glasses fogging up, and you can't have the set on the closest setting to your face.

pompo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking at getting the Rift-S soon. Has anyone had experience using glasses with that headset? I have the PSVR as well and it works pretty well with them.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
My glasses have fit every VR headset I've used, including PSVR, Vive, etc. You're gonna have to try it yourself somehow.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've heard a lot of glasses users buy cheapish secondary sets for VR, so there's less issues of clearance. I used to do contacts, then I got Lasik and it made the whole process so. much. better. Just throw the headset on and go. I know that won't fix everyone's problems (because everyone's eyesight is different), and it sounds a bit scary, but as someone who wore glasses, I give it a recommendation.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I've heard a lot of glasses users buy cheapish secondary sets for VR, so there's less issues of clearance. I used to do contacts, then I got Lasik and it made the whole process so. much. better. Just throw the headset on and go. I know that won't fix everyone's problems (because everyone's eyesight is different), and it sounds a bit scary, but as someone who wore glasses, I give it a recommendation.
I can't get lasik :(

Well, I can, but I shouldn't. I got a tumour on my left eye and got treated for it and as a result I'm basically blind on my left eye. I only have one "good" eye. The doctor who treated me says that I would be insane to get lasik, since obviously I can only get it for my right eye, and if anything goes wrong I don't have another eye acting as a "safety net", I just go blind lol. So yeah.

0.1% (or whatever) chance of going blind on one eye is one thing. 0.1% chance of going ACTUALLY blind, though? I kinda like my glasses haha

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm nearsighted and everything is blurry unless the object is literally couple of inches in front of me. I've heard wearing glasses with a large frame will either mass up the glasses or the vr lenses so is there a way to play on vr without encountering this issue?

It's pretty awful. I've considered lasic. But the best option is thinner frames or Zenni optical lenses for cheap with 3d printed frames. I'm happy to print frames for people who need them at cost of material and shipping. Which is next to nothing.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm near sighted and ended up buying prescription lenses for my Index at VRoptician.com. It's excellent, well worth the price.

It takes about a second to install. You pop them over the standard lenses.

Surprised I'm the first to mention this.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You can buy insert lenses for your vr headset. Which honestly kind of blows as now you can't easily share your vr headset with others. Getting lasik is great as dealing with this is one of the many items I had to take care of.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You can buy insert lenses for your vr headset. Which honestly kind of blows as now you can't easily share your vr headset with others. Getting lasik is great as dealing with this is one of the many items I had to take care of.

You just pop them off - it takes a second. The frame in which they are inserted is very well designed.

The only issue is if the people using your set also are near sighted, and they have to use their glasses inside your headset. (Risk of scratching)

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You just pop them off - it takes a second. The frame in which they are inserted is very well designed.

The only issue is if the people using your set also are near sighted, and they have to use their glasses inside your headset. (Risk of scratching)
The ones that I have don't just take a second. But it adds what is essentially one more step to adjusting your headset as I also gotta deal with the lense separation and adjusting the headset straps specifically so it's not uncomfortable. Some might be willing to deal with it more but I'm basically done and was already planning (and already saved up for) lasik.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I ended up getting some contact lenses just for VR...and I remembered why I stopped using contacts decades back - I hate them.

As long as your glasses aren't huge they seem to fit okay in most headsets.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
I can actually help with this because I specifically had to do research about it!

These are my glasses:

TjX3hHA.jpg

The dimensions of my glasses are 1.7in height and 2.5in width on each lens and 5.5in depth on the arm. I ended up going with the HTC Vive because it has a lot more room for your glasses. In addition to that, it has a lot of ways to adjust them and bring them into focus as well as straps for the comfort of your head.

When you place the VR headset on, I've seen it recommended that you put the glasses inside of the headset and then put it on over your head, but I've found all that does is simply smudge up your glasses before you get the whole thing on your face and sometimes make it so the arms of the glasses aren't properly around your ears since some glasses have specific adjustments that don't take into account how you're putting the headset on.

When placing the Vive headset on my face I simply:
  1. Have my glasses on and I look down as if I'm staring at my feet
  2. Lift the back harness of the headset up
  3. Place my face inside of the headset
  4. Slide the harness over the back of my head going across the top of the head
  5. Finally, I then take the side straps and tighten it just enough so that when I'm looking down and around it doesn't slip.

When taking it off, you simply look down, place on hand on the front of the headset on the side, take your other hand and reach behind your head and pull the harness slowly over the top of your head. You have to be careful with this because sometimes the VR headset itself will take your glasses off with it depending upon how correctly you do this and also how hot it gets inside for you.

To adjust the headset when it's on your head if you feel the vision isn't perfect there are TWO adjustments. Most people just know about the small knob on the left of the vive which looks like this:

GPfYWOy.jpg

This is just a fine adjustment that is meant for smaller increments. On the sides as you see here near the Vive logo you see a ring:

znck5Ck.jpg

These rings are on both sides of the headset.

To adjust properly:
  1. Place your hands on each side of the headset and onto the rings.
  2. Pull outward until you hear the mechanism unlatching.
  3. Once both sides are pulled outward, rotate counter clockwise or clockwise to make larger coarse adjustments to your vision.
  4. After you've done this, you can then set the fine adjustment again to fine tune the larger change.
Here are some things to note about using decently large frames in the VR Headset:
  • Initially you're going to mess up and press your glasses against your eyes and smudge them making it look like the VR is blurrier than it really is. You should clean your glasses properly before attempting to use VR.
  • VR is not perfectly crisp (this depends on a lot of things) so if you see some fuzziness it is normal because that comes from resolution of the game itself, the headset, or many other things so it's normal for it to not be perfect
  • You can press your glasses onto the lenses on accident if you try to tighten the headset to your face too hard with the lens adjustment too close. DO NOT push the headset against your face after you've already adjusted the straps. If you feel it slipping, simply adjust the straps instead.
  • VR can get hot! It might get sweaty and steamy on the inside of the headset and this may cause condensation on your glasses to appear (this is rare). Take the headset off of your face for a bit if you find yourself getting too hot and clean off your glasses as well.
  • Microfiber cloths work amazing for glasses and your headset. You can use the one provided and it does a pretty good job for your headset, but I've used aftermarket ones just fine (the brand I use for my glasses) and it's done a better job as long as I specifically use it for the headset only. Do not use cloth you clean your glasses with for your headset since its likely filthy. Have a totally seperate one that gets used ONLY on the headset.
  • Try to make sure there is no discomfort on the sides of your ears, if that happens to be the case readjust the arms of your glasses outside of the headset and also adjust the straps to make it more comfortable.
  • If you have long fluffy hair AND have glasses, you might want to set the straps very loose initially to make sure you can get it over your head at all and then tightly them gently. Brush all hair toward the BACK of the headset to make it a bit easier. You don't have to slide the harness all the way down the back of your head so its okay to have the harness resting closer to the top of your head as long as it feels secure.
Hopefully this helps out people who are looking into using glasses with VR. I recommend the Vive for this and have tested it myself and own it. I have no brand loyalty and just simply wanted something that worked the best for my glasses as I didn't want to use lens inlays since I want to share my VR with friends without the extra hassle (and cost).

Last edited:

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Luckily my near sightedness doesn't affect me until about 5 ft out and current VR's focal point is around there (or maybe less) so I don't need my glasses in VR. Definitely going to when varifocal lenses start happening though.

I have tried them in my Vive and didn't have any issues cramming them in, but couldn't fit the same ones in the Index. I believe there are some mods you can do to widen the face gasket and of course, as people have mentioned, you can get prescription lenses for the headset.

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, I've had a Vive for 2 years, I've never even read about glasses damaging lenses theoretically as a warning.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The ones that I have don't just take a second. But it adds what is essentially one more step to adjusting your headset as I also gotta deal with the lense separation and adjusting the headset straps specifically so it's not uncomfortable. Some might be willing to deal with it more but I'm basically done and was already planning (and already saved up for) lasik.

In that case I recommend vroptician.com. It's super easy.

Oct 27, 2017
For the PSVR it hasn't been an issue for me, but I hear it's one of the more comfortable VR headsets to wear (at least around its time of release.)

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
I heard it would be an issue with the O+, but I can't say I've had any trouble with my glasses.

BuBu Jenkins

Oct 27, 2017
I wore small frame glasses back when i first got PSVR and pretty much shelved it after about a month of use. one of the main reasons is how uncomfortable it was to use while wearing my glasses. I dunno how anyone can say they had no problems wearing glasses with it because unless i pushed the headset far away from my face and allowed light bleed from the outside there was no way to fit it perfectly around my face without my glasses pressing against the lenses of the set.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Is vroptician the best site for prescription lenses? I think I've heard another site mentioned a lot too but don't remember the name.

I'm definitely going with inserts like that, don't want to be using my glasses inside my future Index

Mad_Titan86

Banned
Nov 4, 2019
Rift S user here. Wear glasses and have had no problems with scratches or being uncomfortable. If you want to be safe just order prescription lenses for what ever headset you end up with. Many different companies make them now.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
I've had no issues using my Rift with my glasses and had no issue with comfort or anything. I did buy some watchface protectors to stick on the lenses just in case my glasses ever scraped them (to protect both my glasses lenses and the Rift lenses) but that hasn't happened.

And though I've not tried it, playing VR without glasses while being near sighted would make everything blurry like in real life right? Because of the whole focal distance stuff and how it's supposed to have your eyes focus on the distance like how real life works?

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've had no issues using my Rift with my glasses and had no issue with comfort or anything. I did buy some watchface protectors to stick on the lenses just in case my glasses ever scraped them (to protect both my glasses lenses and the Rift lenses) but that hasn't happened.

And though I've not tried it, playing VR without glasses while being near sighted would make everything blurry like in real life right? Because of the whole focal distance stuff and how it's supposed to have your eyes focus on the distance like how real life works?
Yes, it does. Even though the lenses are right there, your eyes are still focusing at distance, so you need your corrective lenses in some manner.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I brought my CV1 into the glasses place and tried on different frames. I found some thin wire ones with great eye coverage that fit great. I've used those frames on a Vive, Quest, Index and Rift S and there is zero issue.

Oct 25, 2017
The only headset I can use my glasses in is PSVR, and its not the most comfortable.

I broke down and bought some VR optician lenses for my Vive because I was tired of squinting to see long distances. It was worth it, I didn't realize how much I was straining my eye before I bought them.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Just buy some backup glasses. On top of being able to use it for VR its generally just useful to have backup glasses.

Go on zenni or some other online glasses vendor.
Buy some tiny frame/lens glasses. Purchase will cost you maybe $50 even with the top option lens.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have prescription lenses for all of my VR headsets, so does my father. I have slight astigmatism, my dad's vision is all jacked up.

Make sure you get a prescription lens with a concave shape, not convex. Convex lenses cause barrel distortion on the periphery of your vision, and can actually make people sick. VR-Lens-lab uses convex lenses, avoid them.

I'd recommend VROptician (https://vroptician.com/) --formerly VrLens.eu -- as their lenses are concave and the apparatus they use to connect them to the headset is super easy to pop on and off for other players:

DtSzW3UVYAA21uQ.jpg

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
No issues with Glasses with the PSVR, your glasses do get super greasy and smudgey though.

Escaflow

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You will be fine, unless you have insane big frame glasses. I have a medium sized plastic one and able to use Rift S without any issue.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
PSVR is very glasses friendly. I got some protective lens covers, just to be double safe but the sliding head unit really helps to make it safe for glasses when taking it off / putting it on.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
I usually remove my glasses to play, because I don't feel super comfortable wearing them in my Vive. So, everything is slightly blurry... I could go the prescription lenses route, but that would mean taking them off everytime I let other people play...