• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Dude is accepted as a generic, non-gendered term in English.
Is it?
Honest question, not a native speaker.
Its origins are gendered and while I do see it usage listed as non-gendered over history, in today's world, I don't think I've often hear IRL someone call a woman "dude", and I hear guys being addressed as that all the time (I live on the west coast). There is also a feminine version of the word.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
I was always taught in English classes that using they/them/their as a singular was incorrect and he or she/him or her/his or her was correct. Which was annoying because they/them/their was just easier. And I'm really not sure why we have a plural non-gender-specific pronoun and not a singular to begin with.

Also I wonder how this works in languages that tend to have a lot of gender-specific words/pronouns - as I recall in Spanish you had o for male specific and a for female specific and for multiple/plural that was non-gender-specific you'd default to the male version - I.E. Amigo, amiga, amigos.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
When I talk about my SO to a third person, I often refer to him, a cis men, with the pronoun "them". He never found that offensive, and know the reasoning behind that. Often, people I talk to don't need to know my SO's gender, it's not relevant to the conversation. It is also my own little way of normalizing the use of "them" in the general language, so that it feels safer to use to people who would otherwise feel insecure to imply their relationship might not be hetero-looking. It is also my own little way of reminding myself that I might be in a hetero-looking relationship, I'm still not an heterosexual person, but that one is more personal.

They/them is a respectful gender to use when you don't know people, don't want to assume and offend, or if you want to keep things private because that's a legitimate right everybody has.

This is why context is always king. It's great imo when straight people use the term partner because its necessary for vocabulary like this to enter the mainstream.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
This is why context is always king. It's great imo when straight people use the term partner because its necessary for vocabulary like this to enter the mainstream.

Partner is the term I'm defaulting to when I talk about my SO indeed. For the same reason as I use "them", in order to normalize non-gendered way of talking about relationship partners.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was always taught in English classes that using they/them/their as a singular was incorrect and he or she/him or her/his or her was correct. Which was annoying because they/them/their was just easier. And I'm really not sure why we have a plural non-gender-specific pronoun and not a singular to begin with.

Also I wonder how this works in languages that tend to have a lot of gender-specific words/pronouns - as I recall in Spanish you had o for male specific and a for female specific and for multiple/plural that was non-gender-specific you'd default to the male version - I.E. Amigo, amiga, amigos.
Singular they was widely used and understood in English for centuries, then in the late 19th century some grammar nazis decided it's vulgar because reasons.
I was taught that singular they was a mistake as well, but my teachers fucking lied to me (I mean to be fair, there's a whole lot of personal benefits in following the dumb rules grammar nazis pulled out of their asses, but if you take a step back, it's all fucking bullshit).

Yung Coconut

Oct 31, 2017
Somewhat related question: Is it inappropriate to use 'dude' as an interjection when talking to a woman or a non-binary person? I tend to use it a lot and don't think of it as necessarily being connected to the gender identity of the person I happen to be talking to, but I'm not a native English speaker so a lot of stuff is lost on me.

Head out Californee way and everyone is a dude.

I call everyone dude. And I say hella even more. Shrug!

perry0718

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I actually had a drill sergeant when I was in the army who didn't give a shit what anybody's name was and called everybody Billy, regardless of gender or anything else. The only time he would call somebody something different is if there was a second person involved and he would usually call them Leroy.

"Hey Billy, quit fucking around and get back to work… Grab Leroy over there and unload these boxes!"
I love this story.

I'm in the camp of older folks that just finds it hard to equate 'they' with a singular person. I was reading an article the other day and as soon as it used 'they' to talk about the subject of the article ( who was a non binary teen) my brain immediately got confused.

As someone else mentioned, it's not out of malice, it's from years and years of speaking the language as it was taught to me.

Zaeia

Jan 3, 2018

Functionally, they does imply plurality (just as you implies singularity) in common speech. It can cause intelligibility issues, and it is not "recognized" just as Delphine states is the case in France. The discourse on the use of they is not over. There are problems. With that said, I also default to they although I wish there were a better alternative. However, I also do not get onto people when they misgender me (most times it is accidental).

Interestingly enough the identified problem with epicene they is its subject antecedent agreement issue - plurality, not gender.

"They" as a gender-unspecified singular pronoun: Eye tracking reveals a processing cost

Current Usage of the epicene pronoun in written English by Baranowski, M.

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems more offensive to use a generic they instead of he/she, as if they're less worthy of a he/she identifier.
This is a polite to say "I'm too lazy to give a fuck about your feelings"

This "worthiness" concept is something you've invented. It is the pronoun for quite a few people.
Mmh. Books , I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt you're willing to change, but what you type us coming off as pigheaded bullshit,like, you're putting more effort into finding reasons to not do thing than to do thing

I think it is an older generational thing, but I do remember when I was younger people using they/them as an insult. Like you'd use it if you thought them of less than a person. Of course language evolves, but what Books said isn't unfounded or pigheaded.

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
Our genders are usually right there on our profiles, so for the most part I didn't think people were assuming much. It even comes up in the modal window when you single tap/hover our avatars.

Gakidou

Oct 30, 2017
pip pip cheerio fish & chips
I still don't honestly understand the backlash with singular they. I swear i've been using it my whole life, if im talking about a person and i dont entirely know who they are, maybe its a hypothetical person or someone who's identity is unknown, they just comes naturally. I can't be that unusual in this. I swear people just don't even realise they say it!!!

I even remember a stupid piers morgan interview where hes being a dick about it obviously and he says some shit like "WELL NOBODY ACTUALLY USES SINGULAR THEY IN NORMAL CONVERSATION DO THEY?" and im like, are you fuckn kidding me.

Also I don't accept the argument that "dude" or "guy" is gender neutral. You don't exactly see straight men going around talking about how many dudes and guys they smooched, do you? Seems like its only gender neutral when it becomes convenient. And I say this as someone who likes being called "dude/guy/bro" and uses "man" and "dude" a lot as exclamations (not referring to people, more like interchangeable with "omg" or "wow"). But i'm gonna try and work my habits into being more inclusive and you should *definitely* respect people's wishes and make an effort to use the pronouns and even exclamations that make them comfortable.

Shaun Solo

Oct 25, 2017
I remember in elementary school using "they" to refer to a hypothetical/unknown person in a sentence and being corrected to use "him or her" instead.
It bugged the shit out of me because it's so wordy! Why use three words when I can just use one! I'm glad time has shown my teacher the error of his or her their ways.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
Heh. Often noticed that phenomenon myself. Also the use of language like "an individual" or "this person." Yeah, we see you. Not as sly as you think.
I don't think it's healthy to invent enemies out of thin air when they might just be trying to find something that's both neutral and doesn't break accepted language conventions.

"They" always conjures up connotations similar to "it" for me. It just instinctively feels "less humanizing" than gendered pronouns.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just a firendly reminder that age is never an excuse for refusing to learn something new.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I use they unless I see a gender on their profile but I rarely have to use a he or a she in context of talking about community. It's not often I'm talking about someone else here to someone else. Having said that kindness is always right, its kinder to use they and not assume

perry0718

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Hmmm...reading through this thread, I wonder.

Is 'they' easier to use in spoken language than it is to recognize in written?

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Y'all is also a great term to use when referring directly to a group of people.

I really love using "y'all" and "fam" as I feel both of those are gender-neutral enough to use safely on any occasion, but that also makes me question how much appropriation this might be, knowing where those terms originate from, and how legitimate it is for me to use them. I love them, but sometimes I just feel weird using them and wouldn't want people to assume my white ass is appropriating AAVE.

Zaeia

Jan 3, 2018
When I am responding to someone asking something of another poster, saying "I am not sure they know what they are talking about" would cause that much confusion.

On the forum, there are absolutely different challenges than using the language in person-to-person conversation. The case you provided is of three people which makes it very easy to understand. Also, without specifying number in the context you provide before the quote, it is very open to interpretation on the number of referred persons.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really love using "y'all" and "fam" as I feel both of those are gender-neutral enough to use safely on any occasion, but that also makes me question how much appropriation this might be, knowing where those terms originate from, and how legitimate it is for me to use them. I love them, but sometimes I just feel weird using them and wouldn't want people to assume my white ass is appropriating AAVE.
the etymology of "y'all" traces back to scottish immigrants. "Y'all" has no racial connotation down here in the South. Literally everybody here uses y'all. You outright sound weird here in Texas not using y'all.

Oct 25, 2017
They/Thier is always safe.
Y'all is garbage, "you" is shorter and already means exactly that (if this is somehow confusing with the singular usage rediscover the sophistication of "thou")
I maintain that "dude" and "guy" are gender neutral in modern American English (particularly the plurals). Semantic drift is a thing as much as people want to fight about that.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Is it?
Its origins are gendered and while I do see it usage listed as non-gendered over history, in today's world, I don't think I've often hear IRL someone call a woman "dude", and I hear guys being addressed as that all the time (I live on the west coast). There is also a feminine version of the word.
Southern California it has been gender neutral as long as I have been alive. Nobody uses dudette except TV shows aimed at hip kids in the 80s/90s.

Oct 25, 2017
As a trans woman I'd really really rather you didn't.

Using it indiscriminately (or claiming you do) is totally ambiguous so it's hard to pin down what the speaker is implying something rude / or if they're not. I've talked to a few guys who say dude every sentence and it feels really bad. The ambiguity makes it feel hard to ask them to stop, though I have before.

Transphobes often use language like this on purpose very blatantly as well. "Sure... DUDE!"

Outside of the trans issues, it's also a feminism 101 example of the harmful trend of masculine terms becoming supposedly "gender-neutral," while feminine terms never do. See also "guys." It's another way women and femininity are casually de-emphasized in everyday speech. Men/maleness/masculinity are "normal," women/femaleness/femininity are "other."

Edit: Also what Delphine said.
I try to keep this sort of thing in mind.
I trip up on it a good few times with my best friend, who I grew up with knowing them as a man, and as they prepare to transition it's hard to avoid saying "dude" or "man" as an exclamation. Something of a force of habit.

Thankfully she's understanding and knows I'm not trying to do it on purpose but I still feel bad. &_&

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
Just a firendly reminder that age is never an excuse for refusing to learn something new.
The problem is that the rules aren't very well described and people like to assume pretty terrible things about people if they get it wrong - for example:
Heh. Often noticed that phenomenon myself. Also the use of language like "an individual" or "this person." Yeah, we see you. Not as sly as you think.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Is it?

Dudette is never used. It's just dude. A guy is a dude. A girl is a dude. A non-binary person is a dude.

Obviously if an individual doesn't like the term don't use it to refer to them out of politeness, but as a general rule dude has no gender association in American English.

Anecdotally, among my local circle here in the SF area it's used more commonly by women than men.

Back in the 70's, 80's, and 90's, they as singular would have been taught as incorrect. It is technically the genderless singular in American English, but because that became an insult in common usage, they shifted into use as a singular term as well as a plural. Today most native speakers will recognize the difference (singular vs plural) based on context, but it could easily be confusing for a non-native speaker.

Y'all is also a great term to use when referring directly to a group of people.

Y'all is as bad as hella. :p

Nope. Fuck all that.

Every gets called yuse. Sounds like "use"

Yuse all can come at me.

We found the Jersey boy!

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
'They' and its variants just seems so unfriendly to me.

Brings up imagery of talking about someone as though they're not there.

Honestly, in a forum context (as we are) I feel that I'd be more comfortable to just use the individual's user name.

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a limitation of the English language. I sometimes use he/she and will continue to do so as they and the like is a plural. If an individual feels it doesn't apply to them then it can be disregarded.

Last edited: