• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Eh, guys just refers to a group of people here in Scotland. Lads and lasses use it to refer to any group of people regardless of who's in it. Not a word that needs cutting out up here.

Pelican

Oct 26, 2017
As a regional "y'all" user, It would be nice to at least see y'all use "y'all" for more than as a lead in to copy/paste allyship. Don't just yoink the word, use it! (Honestly I still mostly use guys though. Guessing a 60/40 split /shrug)

Spaggy

Oct 26, 2017
It's not something I always think about, but I've been saying y'all or everyone/everybody. I've also kinda stopped calling people sir/ma'am, or other gender pronouns when addressing strangers.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wondered this myself along with "man" for singulars. I use y'all most of the time for groups. But I call a lot of people man or just use it as an expression, sometimes instinctively. Even my female SO. I don't want it to be offensive and usually it is directed towards males I'd say, but sometimes it just happens.

MisterSnrub

Mar 10, 2018
Someplace Far Away

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I think at this point it's clear that 'guys' and 'dudes' have become gender neutral terms. I guess I can kind of see why people might be annoyed with it but the language has changed, decades ago at this point. I think they're better than people suggesting stuff like 'guys and girls' and 'ladies and gentleman' because that seems more exclusionary because it's intended to only really adress binary genders.

and yeah 'y'all' sounds dumb as fuck if you're not black or a southerner, sorry. it especially doesn't work with non-American accents.
The singular of guys is still "a male" though. It is still, at its core, a masculine word.

It also only became dominant because male language dominates a lot of the time.

Surely you can understand why that bothers some people, and how the way male language does this is a rooy part of our problem with perception of gender and male as "the default"?

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
In Australia it would come across as a very weird weird americanism to address a group of people with 'a hey yall' or a 'hey folks'.

"Hey all" is more appropriate here.

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
This thread had just reminded me that I saw the original film version of Buffy the Vampire Slayer in the cinema. It was shit.

But it was also the first time I noticed this usage of the term 'guys' as gender neutral. It seemed strange at the time, but now I use it regularly.

So, yeah. Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Why did I choose to watch that movie? Probably the second worst film I've seen in the cinema after The Avengers.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Guys is debatable, I see see both sides. I will say that you cannot use the singular for women, so I feel that is a point against it.

Dudes is not debatable. You cannot go to a group of women and say 'Hey dudes' without getting side eye.

Not my experience at all. I understand this is all anecdotal for everyone, but all of my female friends call each other dude.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Can't speak for everyone, but I definitely don't find any offense to being referred to as "you guys" when addressing a group of people. That said, I'm fine with the language evolving to have more completely non-gender specific options. "Y'all" will never feel natural to me though. Too many people I've known who've been hateful who use that southernism (amongst many others) for it to be the first thing that rolls off my tongue when I try to be more supportive/open ended.

Dudes is not debatable. You cannot go to a group of women and say 'Hey dudes' without getting side eye.

It absolutely IS up for debate. Dude hasn't ever really been gendered except for that odd time in the 90's when people tried to make "dudette" a thing.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Not my experience at all. I understand this is all anecdotal for everyone, but all of my female friends call each other dude.
Same as guys, dude and dudes became accepted by many because it was a male dominant word. That is part of the problem. Male being default and language revolving/evolving around that.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Can't speak for everyone, but I definitely don't find any offense to being referred to as "you guys" when addressing a group of people. That said, I'm fine with the language evolving to have more completely non-gender specific options. "Y'all" will never feel natural to me though. Too many people I've known who've been hateful who use that southernism (amongst many others) for it to be the first thing that rolls off my tongue when I try to be more supportive/open ended.

It absolutely IS up for debate. Dude hasn't ever really been gendered except for that odd time in the 90's when people tried to make "dudette" a thing.
Dude means "a man". It was ALWAYS gendered, it was just another male focused word that became dominant as a catch-all due to male being default.

It is still gendered now at its core, even if it is used in a non-gendered way by many people.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Guys is debatable, I see see both sides. I will say that you cannot use the singular for women, so I feel that is a point against it.

Lol yes you can to both of those things. I probably wouldn't call a woman over 30 a my guy or my dude, but younger people don't give a fuck

The singular of guys is still "a male" though. It is still, at its core, a masculine word.

It also only became dominant because male language dominates a lot fo the time.

Surely you can understand why that bothers some people?
Like I said, I understand it. The word's meaning has changed decades ago at this point though, to the point where it seems like the overwhelming majority are okay with it (compared to other words that have changed for the dramatically better or worse) and there doesn't seem to be inherent hate or exclusion intended. At this point I think a word with masculine roots (which is a lot of the English language obviously) that's grown in inclusivity is still better than most of the alternatives offered.

Conal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I personally wouldn't want to be associated with people who fuck the Matrix Reloaded Blu Rays

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
I know all the men in here being like "lol y r u offended guys is gender neutral" would be upset af if people referred to a group of men they were a part of as "ladies" or "gals" etc. Must be nice to be seen as the default and therefore not have to use your brain.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Dismissing concerns around representation; history of related infractions.
Same as guys, dude and dudes became accepted by many because it was a male dominant word. That is part of the problem. Male being default and language revolving/evolving around that.

Then let's stop pretending these words still mean the same thing. Language evolves.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I know all the men in here being like "lol y r u offended guys is gender neutral" would be upset af if people referred to a group of men they were a part of as "ladies" or "gals" etc. Must be nice to be seen as the default and therefore not have to use your brain.

Men have been calling groups of other men "ladies" since the dawn of time.

We're all coming at this from the experience of talking with and observing how female friends interact. I would literally never call my close group of female friends anything like "y'all" without getting a weird fucking look. They all use dude and guys.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017

Go ask a straight guy to tell you about the dudes he's been dating recently.

"Dude" is absolutely a gendered term. It is not a solution to this problem.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Some of the replies in here.... yikes. You don't get to decide what people find offensive.

No one is doing that. My friends don't find it offensive and they do it themselves. I wouldn't use the term here because it seems some do find it offensive, but Era and IRL are different.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
Just use y'all. It's not some "incoherent hick southerner" word and it's not going to ruin your street cred if you use it. As a bonus, you won't keep propping up a male-by-default English greeting.

ZeroHunter

Aug 6, 2020
I'm from the south so "Hey yall" is usually my go-to. Besides, the y's from each word let them flow nicely into each other.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Lol yes you can to both of those things. I probably wouldn't call a woman over 30 a my guy or my dude, but younger people don't give a fuck

Like I said, I understand it. The word's meaning has changed decades ago at this point though, to the point where it seems like the overwhelming majority are okay with it (compared to other words that have changed for the dramatically better or worse) and there doesn't seem to be inherent hate or exclusion intended. At this point I think a word with masculine roots (which is a lot of the English language obviously) that's grown in inclusivity is still better than most of the alternatives offered.
By repeating that "it has changed" you show that you don't understand my point, though. I don't say this to start an argument, but plenty of non-binary, trans, gender fluid people do not think that word is inclusive, and that isn't something we should ignore.

In a time where we're learning more about gender identity, where language is evolving to fit that change, discussing the issues with male default words and working to figure out ways to be more inclusive is a good thing.

"The majority being okay with it" is never a justified reason to not push for positive change.

And while some might scoff and say "this is such a small issue", this is one of the little steps we need to take to actually put our money where our mouths are and work toward an actually inclusive future.

There are many better words than guys, the fact you just personally don't like them as much is not a hard thing to overcome to be more inclusive.

And, remember, the main reason for doing this even if the people you are speaking with are ok with it, is because by doing so you actively help lead with a positive change.

And the more people who use actually inclusive language, the more often they will make the people they matter to feel included.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I've used "you all" because of this when I was with a friend group of mostly women, but I doubt anyone will take too much offense to it
tumblr_mi54pcgxi11r60h6bo1_250.gif

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
I've used "guys" plenty of times when it's just me and a group of girls. I don't think it's offensive but you can always just go with simple "sup". I don't use y'all but obviously plenty of other people do.

Currently I call my boys, "hoes" though. "Sup, hoe. Nah, hoe" like that.

I've gotten them in trouble however since the word sticks and they start using it. I've heard stories of how they've called their spouse "hoe" by accident lol.

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'll agree with that. I was more trying to address the idea that holding to the legacy gendering of a word seems silly.
It was never not gendered. It is just that male = default in our society, so referring to a group of people of mixed genders by a male term has always been seen as acceptable, whereas using a female term would not be, even though it's literally the same thing. That is my point.

Fwiw, I am not offended if people use guys to refer to a group I am a part of, but I am also cis so I've never had to wonder if people were saying it maliciously. I also still mess up and use it sometimes, even though I'm trying to phase it out of my vocabulary. I'm just saying there's no reason to hold on to outdated terminology if it makes people uncomfortable.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Use guys until someone gets offended. Then change it up when they're around.

Status
Not open for further replies.