• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Notre Dame is one of the most studied architectural structures in the entire world, why would you think the best reconstruction they have would be a video game?

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I'm pretty sure they will already have a lot of this stuff documented in far more detail than AC.
I mean, they were literally in the middle of restoring it and it ain't 1930

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
you'd assume there's more than a wonky videogame 3d model with highly suspicious geometry and proportions, right???
Uhhhh, it's literally a 1 to 1 recreation of the building:
0786c045475c7cdfa9daa6b8bdb01feb.jpg

only the smallest changes to some bits of the interior for copyright reasons.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Lol wtf? It's a fucking building guys.
I'm really not sure what Allforce was referring to, as no one was banned for that, but it's not just a "fucking building". It's a part of peoples history and culture, an icon of a city. It's a tremendous loss and people may be quite upset, and they have a right to be.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lmao. agreed.

people think a kideo game would be better than people doing actual archival work. smh.

"soldier field was burned down. get that copy of Madden 17"

I know right? Why try to help, let's just assume and sit back.

This is all based on a good intention and people are so fucking quick on the trigger to turn this into a bad thing, astonishing.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Please stop derailing this thread over a ban that didn't even happen. Thank you.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
serious question, I heard all the reports that Unity was super buggy at launch

did they ever patch it to be not buggy and perform well, specifically the PC version? (don't care about the console versions)

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
We have a far better and more intricate 3D mapped version of Notre Dame than what you see in Unity. So it's unnecessary.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
I guess in-game they also textured every surface so should have details/research on what all the materials were
The laser scans will also include this. At high resolutions point cloud data can be used to determine material. The image posted by Yiazmat earlier should give some kind of idea of how good these scans are.

Notre Dame is one of the most studied architectural structures in the entire world, why would you think the best reconstruction they have would be a video game?
I think it's an understandable mistake. The model of Notre Dame in AC: Unity is probably the most detailed model of anything that most people will have had the chance to encounter. People might not imagine how much of a jump above that other modelling techniques can provide. (What's not understandable is taking that mistaken assumption and then writing an article based on it without doing any research, because "notre dame 3d model" pulls back lots of results showing how many good models exist).

Imagine, after 5 years, something good coming out of Assassin's Creed Unity.
Even people who hated the game (and still hate it) should be able to acknowledge that the recreation of Paris has always been really good, both as a virtual environment and as a mass-market historical recreation.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
a wonky videogame 3d model with highly suspicious geometry and proportions, right???
I agree that there are better references but Unity's version is a literal 1:1 replica rendered with extreme attention to detail. Multiple articles have been published since yesterday discussing the value AC Unity will have to restoration efforts.

Jul 18, 2018
So the Notre Dame burning down is the catalyst for Ubisoft to remaster AC:Unity to give us the true polished version of the game.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone: Laments loss of history on this tragic day
Gamers: But what if... video games. That'll validate everything.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone: Laments loss of history on this tragic day
Gamers: But what if... video games. That'll validate everything.
What's the point of a post like this? That's not remotely what people are doing. The thread mourning the damage to the cathedral is several times larger than this one. Most people are capable of talking about more than one thing at a time, which includes expressing sadness at this grave loss while also pointing out potential sources for restoration as well as ways to appreciate the cathedral's wonder for those who were unable to visit it in person before the fire.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017

Here's my real answer. They took 3D scans of the building. Its dimensions are well preserved, and there's likely HD photographs of every single angle imaginable.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's the point of a post like this? That's not remotely what people are doing. The thread mourning the damage to the cathedral is several times larger than this one. Most people are capable of talking about more than one thing at a time, which includes expressing sadness at this grave loss while also pointing out potential sources for restoration as well as ways to appreciate the cathedral's wonder for those who were unable to visit it in person before the fire.
You honestly think that AC Unity is the best possible reference material for one of the most famous and visited sites in the world?

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
You honestly think that AC Unity is the best possible reference material for one of the most famous and visited sites in the world?
Nowhere have I ever stated that. In fact, I have stated multiple times in this very thread that it isn't:
I agree that there are better references but Unity's version is a literal 1:1 replica rendered with extreme attention to detail. Multiple articles have been published since yesterday discussing the value AC Unity will have to restoration efforts.
Wait, what? Really???? Why?

In any event, there are better references to use for restoration, OP. That said, Unity's virtual representation of the cathedral is still a treasure, and unfortunately now even more so in light of yesterday's horrific tragedy.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nowhere have I ever stated that. In fact, I have stated multiple times in this very thread that it isn't:
Notre Dame is one of the most perserved monuments in the world and they don't need Ubisoft's help to rebuild it. It just comes across as another attempt to validate video games because we're still in this mindset that video games still need validation.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
Notre Dame is one of the most perserved monuments in the world and they don't need Ubisoft's help to rebuild it. It just comes across as another attempt to validate video games because we're still in this mindset that video games still need validation.
Lol "another attempt to validate video games"? What are you even talking about man? People are just trying to say that it's a faithful replica and an interesting alternative way to appreciate the cathedral. That's it - everyone, myself included, acknowledges that there are far better resources.

I mean, why would you get bent out of shape about this? Lol you would think pointing out a neat historical model of Notre Dame wouldn't be met with such hostility but man I never cease to be amazed.