• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
I'm beginning to wonder if the love for Last of Us is just a thing for us here, I don't see it on many people's top-of lists.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
I don't know if it is just me, but top 10 of the decade is kinda weak compared to a top 10 of 90-99 and 00-09.

Maybe it is just the nostalgia talking.

OP
OP
Violet

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
I'm beginning to wonder if the love for Last of Us is just a thing for us here, I don't see it on many people's top-of lists.

I think it really depends on what you get out of it. I said that it sucked earlier, but I really don't think that. I think it's a really fun survival game on the hard modes that's visceral in a unique way. But the story is so cliche and pseudo-deep to me. But I think people that really love that story and characters do view it as a classic

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
I don't know if it is just me, but top 10 of the decade is kinda weak compared to a top 10 of 90-99 and 00-09.

Maybe it is just the nostalgia talking.
I dont know, ive had way more fun with contemporary games during 2010-2019 than i did with games in the 90's or the 00's. Admittedly, i very young for most of the 90's.

tlou is in the list. it's not a top 10, it's a top 100.
Ah, roger that.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Wait, there's no undertale on Xbox One? What the hell?

That's unacceptable! It's truly a top 10 game.

Kat Bailey

Host - Axe of the Blood God
Verified
Jan 5, 2018
Odd to see everyone get fixated on the positioning of The Last of Us of all games. It's a well-produced game that lifts most of its narrative from The Road; hits on some pretty banal themes, and has merely decent stealth action. Still, it made it into our Top 20 because it is in fact very well-made, and because Ellie has become an iconic character in her own right.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Odd to see everyone get fixated on the positioning of The Last of Us of all games. It's a well-produced game that lifts most of its narrative from The Road; hits on some pretty banal themes, and has merely decent stealth action. Still, it made it into our Top 20 because it is in fact very well-made, and because Ellie has become an iconic character in her own right.
First of all, appreciate you dropping in here to provide feedback / extra context. What would you say it was that drove Papers, Please up into the Top 10? I thoroughly enjoyed the game, but I have trouble agreeing with it being one of the 10 best games of the decade.

Kat Bailey

Verified
Jan 5, 2018
First of all, appreciate you dropping in here to provide feedback / extra context. What would you say it was that drove Papers, Please up into the Top 10? I thoroughly enjoyed the game, but I have trouble agreeing with it being one of the 10 best games of the decade.

Thanks! First of all, Papers, Please is one of the most influential indies ever made, and Lucas Pope is one of that scene's biggest stars. Second, it's just a master class in game design in the way that it introduces a relatively simple mechanic, then steadily builds on it until you're in a constant state of panic. Third, it's hilarious, which isn't something I feel like I can say about games as much I like. Fourth, it uses novel gameplay to critique authoritarianism, and the grim work of trying to balance your family's needs with those of the state that will stay with you for a long time. To be honest, I think it's one of the best games ever made--a perfect example of emotional storytelling through gameplay--and I think it's more relevant than ever.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
#1 pick invalidates the entire list

was curious why I didn't remember endless legends then I see it wasn't on PC so I'd never been able to play it

Last edited:

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
KatUSG Have you or anyone else involved with your site ever actually played Ghost Trick Phantom Detective? I only ask to confirm my theory I posted ITT that its absence in these lists is almost always down to the fact that Capcom failed the game by not making anyone aware of it. You included other gameplay-lite/interactive dramas around murder mysteries like Danganronpa, Return of the Obra Dinn and Her Story so I'm pretty confident that if you had played it you would love it.

Kat Bailey

Verified
Jan 5, 2018
KatUSG Have you or anyone else involved with your site ever actually played Ghost Trick Phantom Detective? I only ask to confirm my theory I posted ITT that its absence in these lists is almost always down to the fact that Capcom failed the game by not making anyone aware of it. You included other gameplay-lite/interactive dramas around murder mysteries like Danganronpa, Return of the Obra Dinn and Her Story so I'm pretty confident that if you had played it you would love it.

Oh yeah, I remember Ghost Trick being good, but it's also a bit of a blind spot for a lot of people. That's one of those, "I haven't heard that name in a long time... a long time..." situations.

That is a fucking TERRIBLE top 10.

Star-Wars-Emperor-Palpatine.jpg

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oh yeah, I remember Ghost Trick being good, but it's also a bit of a blind spot for a lot of people. That's one of those, "I haven't heard that name in a long time... a long time..." situations.

Indeed, it did come out much more closely to the start of the decade than more recently, and Capcom have done barely anything with it since apart from a mobile port to increase awareness of it. Thanks for your answer!

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
Thanks! First of all, Papers, Please is one of the most influential indies ever made, and Lucas Pope is one of that scene's biggest stars. Second, it's just a master class in game design in the way that it introduces a relatively simple mechanic, then steadily builds on it until you're in a constant state of panic. Third, it's hilarious, which isn't something I feel like I can say about games as much I like. Fourth, it uses novel gameplay to critique authoritarianism, and the grim work of trying to balance your family's needs with those of the state that will stay with you for a long time. To be honest, I think it's one of the best games ever made--a perfect example of emotional storytelling through gameplay--and I think it's more relevant than ever.
Can't deny any of that. Appreciate the feedback.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Really interesting reading some additional reasoning. Not sure if quite agree on hilarious but there are definitely some lighter bits involving a certain gentleman trying to get into Arizstotka that add to the experience

Anyway, completely agree that Papers Please was an incredible game and while it's been in a few of these over the past few months, it's nice to see it in a top 10.

OP
OP
Violet

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
I don't care about the process, many of those games in the top 10 games of the decade absolutely don't deserve the spot. Not like it matters, but that's just how I feel looking at the list. I wasn't a fan of USGamer before this, but now I know to avoid their opinions going forward.

I agree with you, Nier Automata totally doesnt belong on the list. It's a shame

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
I think the world is ready for Rzarekta to drop a Top 10 Games of the Decade list that isn't - and I quote - "fucking TERRIBLE".

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to make my own list and Trauma Team is going to be all 100 entries, one for every single snubbing

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My top 100 would be Fallout New Vegas 50 times and then Bloodborne 50 times. That's the list and it's terribly fucking great.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
whoa, i just noticed they don't have mk8 (or mk8 deluxe) in their top 10. that's just... wow.
Or top 100. It did get a mention though, in the context of Smash Bros.

But only one racing/driving game in a decade that included:
Forza Motorsport 4 (2012) - FM7
GT5 - GT Sport
F1 2010 - F1 2019
Mario Kart 8/Deluxe
Sonic Transformed
Driveclub
Wipeout Omega
Blur & Split/Second

I'm not complaining about my favourite game being ignored or whatever, more that out of however many people contributed to that list, racing games are so niche that the only one that made a list of best 100 games is one that racing game fans probably wouldn't list as the best one of the decade anyway.

Speaks more to the genre overall than anything specific to USGamer, I think.

Or maybe racing games are fairly popular but they just have a gap in their interest/coverage. Because I think if Eurogamer did the same thing they'd have at least a handful.

OP
OP
Violet

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc

GT5 - GT Sport
F1 2010 - F1 2019
Mario Kart 8/Deluxe
Sonic Transformed
Driveclub
Wipeout Omega

I'm not complaining about my favourite game being ignored or whatever, more that out of however many people contributed to that list, racing games are so niche that the only one that made a list of best 100 games is one that racing game fans probably wouldn't list as the best one of the decade anyway.

Or maybe racing games are fairly popular but they just have a gap in their interest/coverage. Because I think if Eurogamer did the same thing they'd have at least a handful.

It's the same with fighting games and sports games. They simply are a niche, and unless someone on staff will fight for multiple, they aren't making it

Rran

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The fact that Papers, Please made the top 10 has me curious about the rest of the list: it's an interesting pick and definitely one I respect.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017

GT5 - GT Sport
F1 2010 - F1 2019
Mario Kart 8/Deluxe
Sonic Transformed
Driveclub
Wipeout Omega
Blur & Split/Second

I remain forever disappointed in the lack of ongoing support for MK8 Deluxe. And more of the rest of the team doesn't playing racing games to that level.

The trick with large spanning lists like this is saving your energy for the games you're willing to fight and die for. And the truth is, not of those games in that list justified my hours of upon hours of exultation and war to ensure their place. Sonic Transformed or MK8 is the closest.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From those top 10 there are 5 games I'd put in the top 10 and 5 that I wouldn't even put in the top 30. I'm guessing one or two people who work there are stubborn to the point where everyone just gives up and tells them it's fine to put their favorite games in that particular order.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Fallout: NV in the top 20 is enough for me, though should be a little higher. Their reasons are also spot on. I remember thinking I was in crazy town with how much a loved it, but how the general vibe around release was something like "its a glorified F3 expansion that is even uglier and boring." It seems that, at least in the places I visit online, people have come around to my way of thinking and I love it.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone explain why chrono trigger isn't on the list???

And don't give me that "it was released in the 90s" excuse, I played it on steam last decade so it should count and be #1