• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 31, 2017
No, they have to use a proprietary interface. I'm talking about certifying off the shelf SSDs, which would almost certainly result in better prices for the consumer.

Is that 0.4 gigabit difference really going to matter so much though? Really? Linus Tech Tips just did a blind comparsion, where they ended up with a SATA SSD as the winner based solely on user experience...
On consoles it's going to be a common experience for everyone, so devs will develop with a common denominator. If anyone can use whatever they want then they will have to optimize for slower speeds just like Insomniac had to do with Spider-Man.

AndyMc1888

Jul 16, 2019
The same people thread whining that Lockhart will hold back next gen are in here saying forcing you not to use the ssd is bad ? Bizarre takes everywhere today , you can use your external hd just fine as cold storage - a 1tb hard drive will comfortably hold 8 games at any time for the average consumer that isn't an issue . For those that it is you can buy the expansion slot or deal with quick installing from your mechanical HD .

pretty elegant solution when at one point I was convinced we wouldn't have any external

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
Lol. Just realized that these are samsung parts. On pcpartpicker, those start at $0.15 a gig at the 1tb level for m.2 NVMe. This isn't going to be cheap.

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
A lot of concern trolling henny pennys around today i wonder why that is?

Major Nelson responded to the headline grab USG put out to stop bs like it spreading.

Oct 26, 2017
Yep, there's no other way if you want to experience next gen with SSD.

Thats not the issue at all. Idk why you and the other poster are trying to make it as if people don't want SSDs.

What people don't want is for options to be taken away bc of proprietary tech. For instance, being locked out of SSDs they already have because it's arbitrarily not what MS wants you to use.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Imagine a couple years from now once the library gets bigger and 2 TB (internal + external) isn't enough. IMagine the price on 2TB-5TB versions of these proprietary cards lol.......

why do you need your entire library installed?

in the event that you need it that way for reasons that escape me, you can backup your games on a regular external HDD and transfer them when you want to play them...

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
it's not going to matter, you can still use USB 3.1 hard drives. this is just an option
Yeah, but only for "cold" storage. Some people who play lots of games at once will want this as an option.
Which is great for those people. For everyone else, they can wait a few minutes to move games over from their storage drive once their 1TB is full.

Deleted member 18515

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As long as swapping games back and forth from USB HDD's is fast and easy I really couldn't care less. Make it as seamless as possible and i'll happy take a few minutes to swap out whatever is on the SSD.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
I'm guessing they're not going with nvme sticks like I used for my master drive in my new PC since the Xbox Wire article makes it seem like there's a slot for a second SSD internal drive. I was hoping there'd be a way to replace internal drives like on PS4, but maybe these drives are too new and custom built to allow that.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine a couple years from now once the library gets bigger and 2 TB (internal + external) isn't enough. IMagine the price on 2TB-5TB versions of these proprietary cards lol.......

This is silly. There's no way someone actively plays 2-5 TBs worth of games.

Sensible people will store there most played games on the ssd, and store everything else on a HDD - and swap them to the SSD as needed.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know a lot about tech, could they theoretically give me the option to use a non-SSD HDD and then deal with significantly slower load times? Or do Solid State Drives impact much more than that?
yes, but you wouldn't just have slower load times. your game would freeze while you're playing it because it's loading

like this

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
yes, but you wouldn't just have slower load times. your game would freeze while you're playing it because it's loading

like this

Yeah, it would defeat the whole purpsose of the box. You'd be crippling your console and not getting what you paid for. Doesn't make a lot of sense...

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
At most I'm playing like 3 games at any given moment so I dont mind "only" having a terabyte. We all know the pro versions will both ship with a 2TB installed in a few years anyways.

It's my job, so I'm quite high on the list of probably having a TB full at all times. And there are some very avid players.

But most should be fine with an external hard drive for cold storage.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thats not the issue at all. Idk why you and the other poster are trying to make it as if people don't want SSDs.

What people don't want is for options to be taken away bc of proprietary tech. For instance, being locked out of SSDs they already have because it's arbitrarily not what MS wants you to use.
DF answer that, it sounds plausible and not arbitrary, there's innate problems with SSD that MS have attempted to overcome with their specific design.

youtu.be

Xbox Series X Complete Specs + Ray Tracing/Gears 5/Back-Compat/Quick Resume Demo Showcase!

This is it. The video you've been waiting for - we've got the complete specification of the Xbox Series X from top to bottom, we've been hands-on with the un...

14:46 onwards.

dose

Oct 29, 2017
How long is it going to take to copy over a 100+gb game from your usb drive to the ssd?

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Just do a certification program, and allow manufacutrers to print the Xbox logo on the box of qualifying drives. Simple.

People are going to ignore the certification because they've been conditioned too already, especially when the component looks standard. Does anyone really buy the Nintendo Switch approved and branded MicroSD card? You keep it open to standard components, people are going to try and put the wrong components in.

I don't know a lot about tech, could they theoretically give me the option to use a non-SSD HDD and then deal with significantly slower load times? Or do Solid State Drives impact much more than that?

No, it's not just about loading. The way that many games will fundamentally function will be dependent on the performance of the SSD.

currently, yes.

they had a similarly bad solution for something else just about 7 years ago and changed that one up after the bad consumer reaction.

You keep saying you understand the reason, yet you keep making it seem like you don't. What the Xbox 360 did with the hard drive is not the same situation as we have here. What we have here is a fundamental requirement with how the system will function based on the expected performance of the SSD. That was not the case with the hard drive on the Xbox 360. So you're comparing apples and oranges.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, is this going to be your reaction when Sony announces the same thing?
did you miss the part where i compared it to the Vita?

quite unfavorable comparison. look it up.

can't believe this is going to be how it is... some people defending this shit by their fave because "Sony is doing it too" or "MS is doing it too" but i guess that's the way it always was... that one was especially apparent when Sony started charging for online play and some people immediately flip flopped to defend that shit.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (5 days): Antagonising other members, trolling
You keep saying you understand the reason, yet you keep making it seem like you don't. What the Xbox 360 did with the hard drive is not the same situation as we have here. What we have here is a fundamental requirement with how the system will function based on the expected performance of the SSD. That was not the case with the hard drive on the Xbox 360. So you're comparing apples and oranges.
nah, it's clear to me now what's going on and why this trash decision is being defended by strawmen from corporate ballwashers like every previous vad decision with statements like "you don't understand" when it's been clearly stated that yes, yes we do understand. it's for the money. period.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
I'd expect the same with Sony as much as they're apparently investing in a custom solution. Just don't rip people off and I think it's fine.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
1TB of NVMe is close to $200 on PC. This is proprietary, so I expect it to be even more expensive.

It's not really an option because you can't run Series X games on anything other than the proprietary drives

I suspect that you'll be able to just select a backed up game to play and it will take a few minutes to copy it over to the SSD so you can play it. I think I calculated it right...a 50GB game should take around 7 minutes to restore to the SSD.

Also, you can find 1TB NVME SSDs for a lot cheaper than $200.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
nah, it's clear to me now what's going on and why this trash decision is being defended by strawmen from corporate ballwashers like every previous vad decision with statements like "you don't understand" when it's been clearly stated that yes, yes we do understand. it's for the money. period.

So you don't understand, got it. Thanks for stating so here.

In fact your point about how they went from a proprietary hard drive to non proprietary from Xbox 360 to Xbox One as a sign they learn their lesson supports what I'm saying too. If they learned their lesson, then there must be another reason behind the decision where it became a necessity.

Last edited:

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be factoring the price of the card into my launch day purchase. Get it done and over with.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm guessing they're not going with nvme sticks like I used for my master drive in my new PC since the Xbox Wire article makes it seem like there's a slot for a second SSD internal drive. I was hoping there'd be a way to replace internal drives like on PS4, but maybe these drives are too new and custom built to allow that.

They have to design it so its plug and play, so console players wouldn't have to install it the way we PC users install the NVMe ssd. Considering the lack of PC technical knowledge around here, I think Microsoft made the right choice.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
I kinda get why they would need a proprietary external storage solution (to ensure consistent performance), but this almost sounds like PC ports of the same games will never work on a standard HDD or slower SSD, so faceless does kind of have a point

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I kinda get why they would need a proprietary external storage solution (to ensure consistent performance), but this almost sounds like PC ports of the same games will never work on a standard HDD or slower SSD, so faceless does kind of have a point
There has to be something in place, since they state the older system will be able to play the first round of new games. I'm assuming PCs would be fine.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017

like this

This is one thing I honestly can't stand, this whole mentality of "oh, we've had SSDs on PCs for years! What's the big deal?"

The big deal is that outside of Star Citizen, there hasn't actually been a game (to my knowledge) that's actually been designed for SSDs. All we've been doing for years is loading HDD games faster. That's going to change and it's going to be huge.

edit: Forgot to make my point. The only way to initiate that change is to give developers consistent performance they can depend on always having. Allowing anyone to stick whatever random drive they find on Wish would defeat the entire purpose.

Aska

Jan 11, 2020
That's a shame. It's sure as hell gone be expensive. I would rather have a different solution. But we will see how it turns out.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's true. I just did the math on the USB 3.0 benchmark transfer speed (5 Gbps). Folks are likely getting well below that.

You're not going to get the full bandwidth of USB 3.0 either. You're going to be limited to how fast it can be read off the HDD. Doing a quick and dirty test, I was getting about 80 MB/s copying from my USB 3.0 HDD to an internal PCIe 3.0 NVME SSD. At that rate, it's going to take more than 20 minutes. That's also consecutive read from a single large file. That doesn't factor in the hit for multiple files.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Yeah, that's true. I just did the math on the USB 3.0 benchmark transfer speed (5 Gbps). Folks are likely getting well below that.

The Xbox Series X supports 120MB/s through USB according to Digital Foundry. A SATA 3 7200 RPM drive can hit 150MB/s but will be bottlenecks by the USB interface.

50GB = 50000MB
50000 MB / 120 MB/s = 416.6s
416s = 6.9 minutes

This is ideal conditions though. It'll take a little longer, likely.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
So we're going back to early Xbox 360 times where we're limited by HDD space or shelling out $200 for a little extra space.
No.

"You can continue to use your existing USB 3.1+ external hard drives on Xbox Series X and you can run Xbox One, 360 and OG Xbox games directly from the external USB HDD," explains a Microsoft spokesperson. "Games optimized for Xbox Series X and the Velocity Architecture need to be run from the internal SSD or the Expandable Storage Drive."

Weird how people want the latest tech but aren't willing to pay for it. Looks to me Microsoft is giving out options. How much do you want this thing to cost because having a 2TB or larger internal HDD is just adding to an already impressive package.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
It seems you can still store on a HDD rhen transfer to SSD..

that seems...kinda fine
My thoughts exactly. At 100MB/s (reasonable for an HDD) in 10 minutes you can transfer a 60GB game which isnt perfect but manageable (starts transferring, go take a shower/eat... profit). Id rather have a 4TB HD than another 1TB SSD.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
but you don't know how to install an NVMe SSD
I think it's more that not all NVMe SSD's are created equal. If you're designing around the lowest common denominator, it doesn't matter if you let the users upgrade using their own hardware, since whatever they have will either be the same speed or faster. The SSD's in the new consoles are not the lowest common denominator.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
You're not going to get the full bandwidth of USB 3.0 either. You're going to be limited to how fast it can be read off the HDD. Doing a quick and dirty test, I was getting about 80 MB/s copying from my USB 3.0 HDD to an internal PCIe 3.0 NVME SSD. At that rate, it's going to take more than 20 minutes. That's also consecutive read from a single large file. That doesn't factor in the hit for multiple files.

Thanks for the test!

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, obviously MS did it for you, the consumer.

Why people defend multi-billion dollar mega-corporations even when they make obviously anti-consumer decisions is beyond me. And now I'm apparently not allowed to criticize them either. -_-

They did it to get the best gaming performance which is a benefit to me the consumer. Also no one said you can't criticize a company, it's when you throw around phrases like "there's no reason they can't", "there are no excuses for" or "there are plenty of ways to" that makes you look foolish. You have no clue what the technical limitations are or what their goals require. You can question it without making it sound they are doing this for no reason beyond greed. That's exactly why I linked you to that thread where those kinds of phrases get thrown at developers all the time by people that have no idea what the developer has done internally to reach the decision they did.

Microsoft's practices have been very consumer friendly since Phil took over, so I would question the fact that they did this simply to squeeze money out of people. Their track record recently hasn't shown that to be the case. All companies want you to buy their product, that doesn't always mean shady business practices are the reasons behind all their decisions.

Last edited: