• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I think it's probably reasonable for them to stick with something like this as long as they don't price gouge. If it's just a 20% surcharge vs street prices on comparable m.2 NVMe parts, then I'm good with it as a way to ensure reasonable parts selection. Going price is about $1.20/gb for m.2 NVMe SSDs:

Choose Storage

If they keep it no more than say $1.50 a gig, then I'm pretty ok with it.

I am however NOT OK with $2 a gig.

The price per gig also needs to scale with the market.

It will probably be m.2 internally. They'll probably drop a bunch fo pins though. No need for the SATA pins on this guy.

You are ok with $1500 for a 1TB SSD?!

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
This seems like a reasonable way to do things. The average Xbox owner won't see 1tb as too little space, and for those that want it you're going to have to spend extra to get it.

If you want the best you're going to have to pay for it.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
So we're going back to early Xbox 360 times where we're limited by HDD space or shelling out $200 for a little extra space.
Not exactly. It only applies to Xbox Series X games, and only for live usage. SX games can be backed up to USB3 external drives, and still be used for BC games, as indicated by the thread title.
So let me choose to have slightly longer loading times. There's no reason for this to remain proprietary. I guess we're starting to find out how they're going to cover costs and maximise profit on an expensive device.
You can't decide that for yourself, "load times" aren't a static concept, your game can be using offline storage anytime for anything. Take for example the original Crash Bandicoot which used optical storage in 64KB chunks, streaming it to the RAM in the background as gameplay went on, due to the level not being able to fit entirely in RAM at one time. If you change the offline storage, you'd change how quickly the game could expect content on the fly, Crash Bandicoot could no longer be guaranteed to seamlessly continue level progression if the storage suddenly stalled out on it.
Take that and extrapolate it to an online game, say an MMO or some sort of co-op game, suddenly the individual user who has slower or more latent storage can no longer be guaranteed to be kept in sync with the other players. This is extremely bad if your game engine can't scale to the concept, or your console version was optimised around it (say using less RAM in favour of being able to dynamically shift out level chunks).

And remember it's not just the bandwidth of storage that plays a critical role in this, but the latency of it as well. You can have a really high bandwidth storage chip and it could mean absolutely nothing if it takes 100ms to poll anything from it.

Last edited:

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
I think it's probably reasonable for them to stick with something like this as long as they don't price gouge. If it's just a 20% surcharge vs street prices on comparable m.2 NVMe parts, then I'm good with it as a way to ensure reasonable parts selection. Going price is about $1.20/gb for m.2 NVMe SSDs:

Choose Storage

It will probably be m.2 internally. They'll probably drop a bunch fo pins though. No need for the SATA pins on this guy.

your math is a little off...you sure you didn't mean like $0.15 a gb or something?
$150 for an 1tb nvme m.2 drive is about the average for a decent one. Definitely not $1.5k to $2k per tb

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Just get a big cheap HDD and back up your games onto it. Then you can switch them back and forth. PC gamers been doing this for years and years.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020

Choose Storage

It won't be m.2 it's confirmed custom NVMe probably 25c per gigabyte

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Just get a big cheap HDD and back up your games onto it. Then you can switch them back and forth. PC gamers been doing this for years and years.
I move games I am not playing to my 6 TB mechanical internal hard drive. So yeah, it is easy to do. But copying them back to the SSD isn't instant but less time than redownloading and no data cap issues (I have a data cap in non covid times...)

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017

I can't imagine anyone is making megabucks on them, but by the time you've got that nice retail packaging and retailer margin, it's ain't gonna be the same price as a part sold by an online only retailer.

But those prices show exactly why there is only 1TB in there by default.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018

a difference is you can play any of your games on pc through an external drive. With the Series X it will only be used for storage purposes in the case of exclusive Series X games. You will need to transfer those gb's back and forth by removing and installing them back on the system to actually play it. It removes the d/l part of the equation. But there is still the install time (which will be effected by what the external storage is)

Last edited:

Deleted member 35071

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
i finally got used to having a 4tb hdd....and not having to constantly delete and reinstall things.

i cannot. i will not ....go back to having only 9-12 games fit on my console at once.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
With the focus on the fancy new hard drives for fast-loading, I was kind of expecting this. If they want games designed for next gen to be able to rely on this feature, they don't have much of a choice.

I also don't think it'll be any different for Sony/PS5.

Myself

Nov 4, 2017
Not exactly. It only applies to Xbox Series X games, and only for live usage. SX games can be backed up to USB3 external drives, and still be used for BC games, as indicated by the thread title.

You can't decide that for yourself, "load times" aren't a static concept, your game can be using offline storage anytime for anything. Take for example the original Crash Bandicoot which used optical storage in 64KB chunks, streaming it to the RAM in the background as gameplay went on, due to the level not being able to fit entirely in RAM at one time. If you change the offline storage, you'd change how quickly the game could expect content on the fly, Crash Bandicoot could no longer be guaranteed to seamlessly continue level progression if the storage suddenly stalled out on it.
Take that and extrapolate it to an online game, say an MMO or some sort of co-op game, suddenly the individual user who has slower or more latent storage can no longer be guaranteed to be kept in sync with the other players. This is extremely bad if your game engine can't scale to the concept, or your console version was optimised around it (say using less RAM in favour of being able to dynamically shift out level chunks).
I understand all that but they can only count on the main drive being what people will have. Therefore any duty performed by the secondary storage does not necessarily need to be a first class citizen. They could have that storage used for offloading and use the primary storage for their speedy disk loading (I just went and reread some stuff, and in fact you can apparently do this. I would want it to be automatic, so hopefully people don't have to clean the fridge and restock it)

I am also very cynical of any grand speed increases over any high quality SSD anyway and would need to see the real stats compared to what's readily available. If it's twice as fast as an SSD I would claim it's unnecessary.

OtterX

Mar 12, 2020
I don't see the Vita comparisons unless MS requires you buy one of these just to use the system.

Im pretty good about managing my storage. I just uninstall games I'm not playing, but I don't have a data cap. I don't like having external HDDs tethered to my console/pc.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
If the actual SSD is proprietary because it will be optimised, then so will the expanded storage. You can't just replace it with an off the shelf SSD because it would not run as intended. I expect PS5 to have the same implementation. This is also a sign that we're going to get 1TB SSD at best, and these cards will not be cheap.

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
You are ok with $1500 for a 1TB SSD?!
your math is a little off...you sure you didn't mean like $0.15 a gb or something?
$150 for an 1tb nvme m.2 drive is about the average for a decent one. Definitely not $1.5k to $2k per tb
Yep. I was off by a decimal point. I meant running is $0.12 a gig, and I would accept $0.15 a gig.

Personal hope is that it would be a PCIeX4 m.2 NVMe SSD in a fancy shell to make it more like a cartridge, but MS might be up to their old fuckery and require a specific boot sector or bridge chip or some shit.

Even if that's said, I'm not against plugging in an external hard drive (the garage freezer?) and keeping my library there if there's some sort of nice storage management. Even better would be if I could just have it talk to my NAS and keep less used games there, but no way would they be that kind to a data hoarder like myself.

DuvJones

Oct 30, 2017
Hmmmm, then that has to be a custom bus for that because I don't see anything that would remotely suggest that we have anything that would push out an entire AAA game, it's shaders, etc. down the line to the APU even with PCIe 4.0/USB4 (and given that we confirmed the APU is using Zen2, yeah...). It catches me as still too large for that, but then again AMD Infinity Fabric/Infrastructure might be something that is closer to the I/O of this machine and it's rather fast in standard chips.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
a difference is you can play any of your games on pc through an external drive. With the Series X it will only be used for storage purposes in the case of exclusive Series X games. You will need to transfer those gb's back and forth by removing and installing them back on the system to actually play it. It removes the d/l part of the equation. But there is still the install time (which will be effected by what the external storage is)
True. I don't play any of the games I have stored on my external drive FROM the external drive, because it's a slow drive. It holds 4TB though so I just download my games once and I can transfer back and forth whenever without having to download again.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess this will cost somewhere in the $100-$130 range. the metal body will be considerably more expensive

Observable

Oct 27, 2017
I have no problem with this. People can still use large HDD for storage of all their games and wait a couple of minutes if they want to switch games.

They needed to ensure a baseline speed for devs to target somehow. Its either this or a system to reliably test any SSD that consumers will hook up to these things and flat out reject them if they're not fast enough.

This reduces the number of variables devs need to account for by a lot.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Sony is going to be doing either the same thing or not allow user upgradable storage.
Sony sounds like they're using even faster and potentially more specialized storage solution, so I would not be surprised if the internal memory isn't upgradable at all.

Spasm

Nov 16, 2017
i finally got used to having a 4tb hdd....and not having to constantly delete and reinstall things.

i cannot. i will not ....go back to having only 9-12 games fit on my console at once.
Plug your 4TB into your XSX on day 1 and boom! 4TB of games instantly installed.
Run them from there, or if you feel the need for speed, copy some over to the internal SSD.
Running out of space on the internal? Copy 'em back to the external. They're still installed.
The only exception is XSX proprietary games. You can do everything I already mentioned except run them from the external.

We've been living in the digital age for a while now.? Memory management should be a fact of life by now. Copying back and forth between internal and external is a smaller price to pay than the $199-$299 or whatever this completely optional expansion SSD is going to cost.

tbassett

Jan 8, 2019
The fact that storage is expendable is fantastic. Sure the cost is worrying but at least there is an option. The alternatives were either no expandable storage or some type of way to plug in m2 drives which could give varying performance and results. Let's see what the price is

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Sony sounds like they're using even faster and potentially more specialized storage solution, so I would not be surprised if the internal memory isn't upgradable at all.
We should be careful about what companies say to judge performance. When talking about both companies, are they talking about guaranteed performance or peak performance when discussing things? Sounds to me Microsoft is talking about one while Sony is talking about the other so it would be hard to say how they compare at the moment and it's possible both have strengths in different scenarios.

G_Zero

alt account
Banned
Mar 19, 2019
Ah, I see we're already into the "there is no reason they couldn't do" X phase. Considering how consumer friendly MS has been since the middle of this gen with all their policies you think they just picked this one to screw people over on a practice many have bad feeling towards just because?

Here's the thread for you: Halo developer speaks their mind - "I don't get why <dev> didn't do ?"
Yeah, obviously MS did it for you, the consumer.

Why people defend multi-billion dollar mega-corporations even when they make obviously anti-consumer decisions is beyond me. And now I'm apparently not allowed to criticize them either. -_-

G_Zero

alt account
Banned
Mar 19, 2019
What's bullshit about it? How else do you propose a user friendly method that allows a consumer to upgrade their SSD but also make sure it meets the required specs to guarantee the performance that the developers are expecting? Spider-Man on PS4 was restricted even more because they had to account for the fact that people could upgrade their hard drives and the drive they put in there could be slower than the stock drive. Do we want developers to start trying to account for the lowest common denominator which in turn restricts games? Not all SSDs are the same. They vary in performance. Go look at all the variables when trying to buy an SSD. Is it SATA or NVME? PCIE3? PCIE4? How many chips are on it? There is a wide assortment of M.2 SSDs out there that vary in how they perform. How else do you control what the end user puts in when there is such a wide gamut of possible options?
Just do a certification program, and allow manufacutrers to print the Xbox logo on the box of qualifying drives. Simple.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Just do a certification program, and allow manufacutrers to print the Xbox logo on the box of qualifying drives. Simple.
That sounds like what they are already going to do (down the road):
www.theverge.com

Here’s how Xbox Series X removable storage will work

You might need a new expansion card for Xbox Series X optimized games.
Seagate will be the exclusive launch partner for these expansion cards, too. "At launch, the Seagate Storage Expansion Card for Xbox Series X will be the only Expansion Card available," reveals a Microsoft spokesperson to The Verge. "We look forward to sharing more details in the future." It's not clear whether Microsoft will have its own branded expansion cards or just how many other third-party drive makers will be able to create expansion cards. More providers will increase competition and drive prices down for consumers, so it would be surprising if Seagate is the only manufacturer after launch.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
We should be careful about what companies say to judge performance. When talking about both companies, are they talking about guaranteed performance or peak performance when discussing things? Sounds to me Microsoft is talking about one while Sony is talking about the other so it would be hard to say how they compare at the moment and it's possible both have strengths in different scenarios.
Fair enough.

Ideally Sony will have something similar with an external plug-and-play solution.

Dec 31, 2017
These aren't NVME, these are SATA drives.

There are two kinds of M.2 drives: SATA or NVME(PCIE).
Look at the crucial then. PCIe and only up to 2GB/s, so lower than what MS can do with theirs. And they are all 2280, enough to confuse people to get the wrong one.

the reality is that no console manufacturer is going to have people put in NVMe drives by themselves, it's foolish to think otherwise.

G_Zero

alt account
Banned
Mar 19, 2019
That sounds like what they are already going to do (down the road):
www.theverge.com

Here’s how Xbox Series X removable storage will work

You might need a new expansion card for Xbox Series X optimized games.
No, they have to use a proprietary interface. I'm talking about certifying off the shelf SSDs, which would almost certainly result in better prices for the consumer.
Look at the crucial then. PCIe and only up to 2GB/s, so lower than what MS can do with theirs. And they are all 2280, enough to confuse people to get the wrong one.

the reality is that no console manufacturer is going to have people put in NVMe drives by themselves, it's foolish to think otherwise.
Is that 0.4 gigabit difference really going to matter so much though? Really? Linus Tech Tips just did a blind comparsion, where they ended up with a SATA SSD as the winner based solely on user experience...

E.Balboa

Oct 30, 2017
Florianópolis, Brazil
If the actual SSD is proprietary because it will be optimised, then so will the expanded storage. You can't just replace it with an off the shelf SSD because it would not run as intended. I expect PS5 to have the same implementation. This is also a sign that we're going to get 1TB SSD at best, and these cards will not be cheap.
Exactly. Unless Sony does not offer expandable storage, which would be a much worse alternative to what MS is doing.
The only way I can see Sony doing better is announcing more than one partner to its proprietary expandable storage solution.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I don't know a lot about tech, could they theoretically give me the option to use a non-SSD HDD and then deal with significantly slower load times? Or do Solid State Drives impact much more than that?

Dec 31, 2017
Awesome, Seagate. So we'll need to replace these probably expensive proprietary cards that we can't use anywhere else every 1 to 2 years because of unknown failures.
Seagate HDDs have been very reliable lately, especially if you run their ironwolf drives (haven't had any issues with mine in my NAS) and I have old external hard drives from Seagate from the 360 days that still work. As for SSDs, Seagate is perfectly fine.